Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Love your new website. Just started to look at New smugmug and unfortunately found myself lost.
    Can you recommend me what to start with?
    Hi
    don't worry, we all felt lost at the beginning!
    A good thing would be taking some time to watch SmugMug introductory videos.
    After that come back again here with all your questions!
  • Options
    fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    ko04 wrote: »
    ..........since my time will be limited soon being I will be a new dad very soon!
    I thought you might like this mwink.gif
    http://www.incidentalcomics.com/2013/11/a-year-of-parenting.html?m=1
  • Options
    Heather RyanHeather Ryan Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2013
    Heather Ryan Photography
    I am feeling really good about the look and feel of the new site!

www.heatherryanphotography.com
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    Hi all, I have updated my site since i first posted on this thread when SmugMug 2.0 was initially released.

First of all, I switched themes to "Turbo" as it provided more space for the photos than the "Spartan" theme did. I also added a blog built entirely using smugmug (only one post so far). I have also changed my homepage bg photo. I'm still adding to the site so check back often. Thanks in advance for your comments and critiques.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    Thanks in advance for your comments and critiques.
    I don't understand why the montage view of your NYC gallery (and others maybe?) is constrained within a narrow width (+/-1,000px?). Why wouldn't you let it flow across the full browser window for visitors with wider screens?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2013
    Hi all, I have updated my site since i first posted on this thread when SmugMug 2.0 was initially released.

First of all, I switched themes to "Turbo" as it provided more space for the photos than the "Spartan" theme did. I also added a blog built entirely using smugmug (only one post so far). I have also changed my homepage bg photo. I'm still adding to the site so check back often. Thanks in advance for your comments and critiques.

I love your blog picture and layout. How did you set up the blog?
    One suggestion: don't make the photos fade out when the mouse cursor hovers over them. As a user whose cursor wanders around without my thinking about it, I was intensely studying the photo and suddenly it "greyed out". Very distracting. So I had to figure out my mouse was the problem, and move it. But then in automatic pilot mode, the mouse wandered back over the photo, and it again flickered and 'disappeared'. Just a suggestion.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    I don't understand why the montage view of your NYC gallery (and others maybe?) is constrained within a narrow width (+/-1,000px?). Why wouldn't you let it flow across the full browser window for visitors with wider screens?

Thanks, what dimensions do you suggest and will turning stretchy on make it compensate for smaller screens?
    My Website
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited November 22, 2013
    Thanks, what dimensions do you suggest and will turning stretchy on make it compensate for smaller screens?
    Dimensions are problematic since you don't know what kind of device your viewers will be using.

Turning on stretchy should help.

I don't usually have the browser window stretched the width of the screen but I just looked at your site with the browser at about 75% of the width of the monitor. I don't think the large empty block of white space enhances the look of your site.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2013
    I am feeling really good about the look and feel of the new site!

www.heatherryanphotography.com
    Your site looks good!

A couple of comments (in case you are looking for feedback)...
    You're not showing the breadcrumb and you haven't added a description to your galleries. This means that your viewer does not know what gallery they are viewing.

Your Pricing page shows two broken images. Are the featured photos for those galleries in galleries that are accessible to viewers of your site? The photos would need to be in either public or unlisted galleries.

Your blog opens a new browser tab. I have a strong preference that new tabs only be opened if I request them. I know, I know, I may be a bit odd - but as soon as a site starts this behavior I usually close it.

If I click to your blog and then click "My Portfolio" I am taken back to your smug site but to a non-existent page (so I get the 404 page not found page). I'd recommend correcting the link. You might also want to customize your 404 page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    Dimensions are problematic since you don't know what kind of device your viewers will be using.

Turning on stretchy should help.

I don't usually have the browser window stretched the width of the screen but I just looked at your site with the browser at about 75% of the width of the monitor. I don't think the large empty block of white space enhances the look of your site.

--- Denise

I turned on stretchy and made a slight adjustment. can you please take a look at one of my galleries and let me know if it makes a difference? Thanks
    My Website
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    I turned on stretchy and made a slight adjustment. can you please take a look at one of my galleries and let me know if it makes a difference? Thanks
    That makes a big difference - your galleries now make full use of the browser window with a matching white margin on both the left and the right.

--- Denise
  • Options
    linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2013
    It says 'Clink here …' near the top of this page - was that intended? headscratch.gif

I like the telephone number right at the top (and I notice it's a UK number mwink.gif) - picking up the handset and speaking in person is what one does when one is serious about it. And the nice full-window slideshow and very friendly and approachable bio photo. thumb.gif

Yangchen
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2013
    OK, aside from adding some copy & images, better matching up my Blogger site, and possibly re-working the nav a bit... I'm DONE! For now, at least. You can check it out here: http://www.amfdigitalmedia.com/ Let me know what you think!

PS If anyone can offer some insight on how to get the Blog Titles in the bottom left hand corner of my homepage to link, it would be much appreciated.
    If you're trying to sell your services I'd recommend either fixing the menu entries so they go somewhere reasonable or removing them. When your Service side menu is shown, clicking on any of the entries takes me to an empty page. Likewise, if I manage to get a "services" image to show clicking on the image takes me to the same empty page.

I realize you said you need to add some copy - for now I'd recommend removing the "blah, blah, blah" copy that is spread through your "about" page. If someone happens to see the site now I suspect that you won't win their business.

You have Originals enabled in your Prints for Sale... Landscapes gallery. With Originals enabled why would someone choose to pay for something they can grab for free? I know, you have right click protection turned on. That doesn't provide any protection - if the image is viewed in a browser it can easily be grabbed from the browser cache.

From the SmugMug help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274#protection:
    FYI: Right-click protection is a deterrent for image theft but it should not be considered fool-proof. To truly protect your images, lock galleries with a password or apply a watermark and disable your originals.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    GargaGarga Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2013
    Cambo.me

Thanks Lamah & Leftquark for some of their CSS tweaks.

Let me know what you think :-)
  • Options
    CarosuCarosu Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    Changed my site completely as I never seem to know what I want :D

http://carosu.smugmug.com/

Pls some feedback would be nice if I should change or fix something as I am getting blind staring on my site all day long.
  • Options
    amf digital mediaamf digital media Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    If you're trying to sell your services I'd recommend either fixing the menu entries so they go somewhere reasonable or removing them. When your Service side menu is shown, clicking on any of the entries takes me to an empty page. Likewise, if I manage to get a "services" image to show clicking on the image takes me to the same empty page.

I realize you said you need to add some copy - for now I'd recommend removing the "blah, blah, blah" copy that is spread through your "about" page. If someone happens to see the site now I suspect that you won't win their business.

You have Originals enabled in your Prints for Sale... Landscapes gallery. With Originals enabled why would someone choose to pay for something they can grab for free? I know, you have right click protection turned on. That doesn't provide any protection - if the image is viewed in a browser it can easily be grabbed from the browser cache.

From the SmugMug help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274#protection:

--- Denise
    Denise, thank you for the input!

This forum is the only place I've posted the link to my site on... So while its technically in circulation, I really haven't gotten any traffic aside from my own clicks and a few robots spidering the site despite having it quarantined from search engines at the moment.

Good catch with the Gallery settings... I kind of glossed over that part. I set everything set to X2Large and disabled External Embedding, although I'm still on the fence regarding watermarks (I personally think they're kind of tacky).
  • Options
    ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    After much gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair (what's left to pull) and a constant stream of purple air, I have finally unveiled my site.

Special shout out to Allen and Denise fro their help. And to the many CSS code gurus who have shared their tweaks and modifications.

The link to my site is in my signature. Appreciate any comments, criticisms, and suggestions.
  • Options
    amf digital mediaamf digital media Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2013
    ghealy wrote: »
    After much gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair (what's left to pull) and a constant stream of purple air, I have finally unveiled my site.

Special shout out to Allen and Denise fro their help. And to the many CSS code gurus who have shared their tweaks and modifications.

The link to my site is in my signature. Appreciate any comments, criticisms, and suggestions.

Lookin' good, ghealy! The only thing I noticed, is that you have a broken image reference (to RedBubble) on your About page.
  • Options
    SHPhotoSHPhoto Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2013
    Hello from Down Under
    Hi all, I have been using SmugMug as a photo hosting site for several years now and whilst I was aware of the new changes that occurred earlier in the year, I have only just made the move.

I have customised a fairly simple design and welcome comments and suggestions.

Thanks

http://www.stephenhainesphotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013

Think the design is clean and nice. Not sure what you could change but I would try to put the bottom margin to 0xp so that the picture at the home page is fixed and dont scroll down and maybe remove the photosharing by smugmug text for a cleaner look.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    rworobec wrote: »
    Hi,

Here is my webpage. After migrating to the new smugmug I did a lot of customizing (still a work in progress) until I created an almost finished product. The content and galleries may change a little as I do a better job uploading from lightroom.

Have a look!

http://www.ronworobecphotography.com/

What do you think?

Very nice images. Could you move the Autumn gallery up on your links page to site with the other seasonal galleries? I saw Summer, Winter and Spring but then had to look for Autumn.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    Newbie - With a lot of help from this forum
    Here is my site. As far as content goes, it is about 30% filled. The two galleries that have the most "finishing touch" are the San Diego and Hawaii ones.
    http://www.arrowphotos2.smugmug.com/

Charles
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    Garga wrote: »
    Cambo.me

Thanks Lamah & Leftquark for some of their CSS tweaks.

Let me know what you think :-)

Nice clean layout, and easy to navigate!

I guess you might just be sharing photos with family & friends, but if not it might be nice to have a page about who you are on there. Having a page with some useful text on it about you makes it easier to find your site in Google, too.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Lookin' good, ghealy! The only thing I noticed, is that you have a broken image reference (to RedBubble) on your About page.

Thanks for checking it out. Not sure about the broken kink. - When I click the link (either logged in or logged out) it works as expected by openning a new tab to my RedBubble site. Could it be that your browser does not do new tabs?
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    SHPhoto wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been using SmugMug as a photo hosting site for several years now and whilst I was aware of the new changes that occurred earlier in the year, I have only just made the move.

I have customised a fairly simple design and welcome comments and suggestions.

Thanks

http://www.stephenhainesphotography.com

Great looking site, Stephan. You have some really wonderful photography on your site!

LOVE the full screen slide show. Can I ask where you foudn teh code for that?
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Carosu wrote: »
    Think the design is clean and nice. Not sure what you could change but I would try to put the bottom margin to 0xp so that the picture at the home page is fixed and dont scroll down and maybe remove the photosharing by smugmug text for a cleaner look.

Thanks Daniel. Did both your suggestions (remove 'Photosharing by Smugmug' and set botomm margin to zero), but I still have that scrollbar. Will be looking for a full screen slidehow for teh home page. That may help.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Thanks Daniel. Did both your suggestions (remove 'Photosharing by Smugmug' and set botomm margin to zero), but I still have that scrollbar. Will be looking for a full screen slidehow for teh home page. That may help.

Hmm.. It should work then. Did you change the bottom margin on the Layout/margins and on the photo content dimension to 0xp?. I know I had to put all bottom margin to 0xp or it will always scroll even if I had a pictures that was super small :)
  • Options
    Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2013
    I am still doing some minor tweaks but here is my site. I'm an event Photographer who mainly does weddings. I'm still tweaking it but would love to get any feedback or suggestions.

http://www.FernandoGonzalez.net
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Carosu wrote: »
    Hmm.. It should work then. Did you change the bottom margin on the Layout/margins and on the photo content dimension to 0xp?. I know I had to put all bottom margin to 0xp or it will always scroll even if I had a pictures that was super small :)

Verified all margins (top & bottom ) on slideshow and CSS box set to zero. Still has scrollbar. Appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2013
    Verified all margins (top & bottom ) on slideshow and CSS box set to zero. Still has scrollbar. Appreciate the help.

It seems to work now with the slideshow no scrolling :)