Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    Jay_Z wrote: »
    Please, I'd really like constructive feedback on this! Now that it's unveiled, I'm not terribly excited about the flow of the site, and I think it doesn't quite work right on some of the galleries.

Thought, feedback and comments ... greatly appreciated. Look, feel, flow, design, everything!

www.jeffzenner.com

Thank you SO much!

All looks good to me.
    I like the spacing of the photos on home. If you are going for total consistency, I would give the photos and boxes on the other pages similar spacing.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    The only way that I can think of is to create your own breadcrumbs. You will have to remove the SM breadcrumbs box and add the HTML to each gallery settings under "Description". This is what I have on one of my Galleries (Central Valley)

Thanks, but that seems like way to much work and a real pain, needing to create a breadcrumb for every gallery, and needing to edit every time I add a gallery, etc.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,455 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2013
    racer wrote: »
    Thanks, but that seems like way to much work and a real pain, needing to create a breadcrumb for every gallery, and needing to edit every time I add a gallery, etc.

That it is. In my case, I only have less than a dozen, so it wasn't a big deal.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2013
    That it is. In my case, I only have less than a dozen, so it wasn't a big deal.

I was checking out your site, and just wanted to let you know I noticed you have no way to read your whole captions
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    Jay_ZJay_Z Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2013
    All looks good to me.
    I like the spacing of the photos on home. If you are going for total consistency, I would give the photos and boxes on the other pages similar spacing.

Thanks racer! Oops, gotta work on the quality control! I appreciate your feedback, I'll definitely modify that right now!

Great looking site, by the way! Impressive customization!
  • Options
    essex1970essex1970 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited December 11, 2013
    essex1970 wrote: »
    Your site has a nice clean look to it.

There are two things I would recommend changing. The first is that you have a menu entry (info) that goes to a page that just says "more to come", nothing else. Until that page is complete why not remove it from your menu?

The second thing that jumped out at me is that you've removed the breadcrumb from your galleries without replacing it with something else. This means that you have left your viewer without a clue on the page as to what gallery they are viewing. I know, I know, they can see that in the URL - but they shouldn't need to look at the URL if they want to reference the page that they are viewing. If you don't like the breadcrumb you might consider adding a title in the gallery description.

--- Denise
  • Options
    essex1970essex1970 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    Thank you Denise!
    I took your advice because you're right: I completely forgot about the breadcrumbs! same as "info".

Sebastien.
  • Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    I just want to say that after my initial hangups with New Smugmug, I found the new customization options to be much easier and more thorough than I had imagined. Now my site is back to how it used to be, but in a cleaner, more professional-looking form: http://galleries.thatonesummer.com. And it wasn't all without the help of the support here, so many thanks!

-Tom

P.S., Still grumbling about the price structure/increase, but I've learned to deal with the "portfolio" tier.
  • Options
    thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2013
    My attempt with wordpress and smugmug.. http://toddsphotos.com

I love the site in general, but especially the nod to/quote by John Muir. Cheers!
  • Options
    universeeeuniverseee Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 12, 2013
    Hi everyone,

Here is my new website www.evrenakdag.com. Hope you have time to take a look at it and make comments, give advices, or etc.

It is really appreciated that if you share my web site on your facebook or tweeter account!

Thank you very much from now... :)
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    universeee wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Here is my new website www.evrenakdag.com. Hope you have time to take a look at it and make comments, give advices, or etc.

It is really appreciated that if you share my web site on your facebook or tweeter account!

Thank you very much from now... :)

Beautiful. :)
    But - the top parts of each slide are cut off because of your header material. Heads get chopped off. Did you intend this?
    Also, on my browser, your header and footer, scroll up and down. Did you intend that also? So on the browser size I have on my large monitor, I set the window to about 1100 x 750, and on that I do not see your footer at all unless I scroll. Then if I scroll, your header goes out of sight above. I don't know if you want to fix your header and footer so that they don't scroll?

I didn't have time to go deeper into folders.
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2013
    thonsu wrote: »
    I love the site in general, but especially the nod to/quote by John Muir. Cheers!
    Jay_Z wrote: »
    Please, I'd really like constructive feedback on this! Now that it's unveiled, I'm not terribly excited about the flow of the site, and I think it doesn't quite work right on some of the galleries.

Thought, feedback and comments ... greatly appreciated. Look, feel, flow, design, everything!

www.jeffzenner.com

Thank you SO much!

Website wise its looks great. One thought though I hope you don't mind me saying is that photo of you in the about me section isn't to flattering. I no what you were going for and if you want that angle I think shooting it from the side a little more would be good and also kind of push your head outward. Just a suggestion I don't offended you by mentioning it.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    thonsu wrote: »
    My attempt with wordpress and smugmug.. http://toddsphotos.com

I love that map feature you have in the browse! Is that a wordpress thing or did you do that in Smugmug customization. Very cool! Overall your site is really nice too great job.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2013
    I am still doing some minor tweaks but here is my site. I'm an event Photographer who mainly does weddings. I'm still tweaking it but would love to get any feedback or suggestions.

http://www.FernandoGonzalez.net

Besides the fact that you have really amazing work and I love your style, your site is really nice and simple and very easy to navigate which I feel is the most important thing for the client.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2013
    ko04 wrote: »
    I love that map feature you have in the browse! Is that a wordpress thing or did you do that in Smugmug customization. Very cool! Overall your site is really nice too great job.

Thanks

The map is a "content block", under the discover section. After you add the map, you have to add individual photos by going to tools > edit > edit geo location and adding the location. Since clicking on the photo takes the user to the gallery the photo is in, really only one photo per gallery is needed. Currently I have a few random photos added, but the map would make more sense with photos added from galleries that are based on a specific location (e.g. clicking on a photo from Yellowstone would take a person to a gallery of Yellowstone images).
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    http://www.joeywashburn.com
    I recently switched from using WordPress as my main site with SmugMug being just for prints to using SmugMug as my main site. The new layout tools make customizing pretty simple. I do miss some of the JavaScript hacks we used to have, but all in all its been a good transition.

I matched the layout to the default WordPress TwentyFourteen design, Some small customizations to remove header names and icons I dont want to show.

Love to hear some feedback

www.joeywashburn.com
    blog.joeywashburn.com

Hope you enjoy
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    jwashburn wrote: »
    www.joeywashburn.com
    blog.joeywashburn.com
    I like the overall look of your smug site - the design is simple and effective.

There are two things that jumped out at me. The first is the duplication of your menu on the top right and on the right side. I don't think you need it in both places. Given that your blog also uses a side menu you may want to keep the side menu.

The second thing is your color choice. All black on your photo galleries is OK, but a black nav and white background for your blog does not give a cohesive feel to the site. I prefer dark letters on white for the blog (as opposed to changing to white letters on a black background) - but that makes your black bands at the top and side not work for me. Have you considered using a color other than black from your smug site? (Yup, that's a personal opinion, feel free to ignore it.)

--- Denise
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    I like the overall look of your smug site - the design is simple and effective.

There are two things that jumped out at me. The first is the duplication of your menu on the top right and on the right side. I don't think you need it in both places. Given that your blog also uses a side menu you may want to keep the side menu.

The second thing is your color choice. All black on your photo galleries is OK, but a black nav and white background for your blog does not give a cohesive feel to the site. I prefer dark letters on white for the blog (as opposed to changing to white letters on a black background) - but that makes your black bands at the top and side not work for me. Have you considered using a color other than black from your smug site? (Yup, that's a personal opinion, feel free to ignore it.)

--- Denise

For some reason, I dont like the way my photos look against a lighter background Maybe its time to revisit that again.
  • Options
    utcarsonsutcarsons Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2013
    I joined the forum just to post here and say thank you to all the wonderful contributors here! I'm very pleased with the new site and it's all thanks to you generous folks!

Jodie
    http://www.jodiecarson.com
  • Options
    PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    utcarsons wrote: »
    I joined the forum just to post here and say thank you to all the wonderful contributors here! I'm very pleased with the new site and it's all thanks to you generous folks!

Jodie
    http://www.jodiecarson.com

nice little family website. I would suggest keeping your social media icons going 4 across instead of stacked vertically.
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    I implemented the new full screen slideshow and added maps to my Town & Country section.
    My Website
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    I implemented the new full screen slideshow and added maps to my Town & Country section.

The fullscreen homepage slideshow looks great. Did you rebuild or just implement it into the site? Also, is the background color on the sidebar the same throughout escept that on the homepage, the transparency has been reduced? I've been fooling around with this and having some trouble,would you mind checking your setting and telling me the color number used for that sidebar background?
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    I completed my site in September making use of the feedback from this thread and the customizations posted in several other threads. Thanks all. Recently I added two new items.

I started making use of the Map feature. It works well for travel and nature galleries. I'm almost done my nature galleries and I've done a few travel galleries. Here is an example for a nature gallery http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Butterflies

A travel example http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Travel/Europe/2011-Grand-Tour-of-Britain-and Scroll down to bottom of page for the map.

I had a problem with my bird photo life list as it exceeded the 200 photo limit so I broke it up into smaller maps using keywords.

I also implemented the random slide show feature. I really like that. I avoided the full screen as I found that unless the aspect ratio matched the screen, it cropped parts of the photo in order to fill the screen.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2013
    CynthiaM wrote: »
    The fullscreen homepage slideshow looks great. Did you rebuild or just implement it into the site? Also, is the background color on the sidebar the same throughout escept that on the homepage, the transparency has been reduced? I've been fooling around with this and having some trouble,would you mind checking your setting and telling me the color number used for that sidebar background?

SmugMug rolled out the full screen slideshow last week. Under customize and design, there is a new tab called background. You can implement it there.

My sidebar on my homepage is set to the color white and then 60% transparency. The other side bars are set to the color grey you see and 100% transparency since it is over white. You have to set the color first before you set transparency.
    My Website
  • Options
    TallPhotoGuyTallPhotoGuy Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    New website
    Here is my new website http://hewitt.smugmug.com. It's pretty close, so I decided to go live and get some feedback. On my earlier questions, thanks to all for their help. A couple of things, not 100% with my header, color and size. I need to finalize my social links on the header. On the following page http://hewitt.smugmug.com/Sports/SFHS-Varsity-2013/2-Brycen i am playing with a background, a bit too bright, suggestions welcome. I am also using the following changes, comments welcome if I have missed something relevant to my changes. Thanks ahead of time on comments.

Tallguy

/*
    * Instead of vertically centering portrait and landscape images within their tiles (a 50% shift downwards), only
    * shift these by 25% in order to have a better chance of keeping people's heads in the frame.
    */
    /* Add the word "Download" after the download button */
    /* Add the word "Info" after the info button */
    /* Add the word "Tools" after the tools button */
    /* Add the word "Like" after the like button */
    /* Change the Like button color */
    /* Lightbox Add the word "Comment" after the Comments button */
    /* Lightbox Add the word "Share" after the Share button */
    /* Lightbox Add the word "Sizes" after the Sizes button */
    /* Label the image sizes button */
    /* Label the comment button */
    /* Add the word Full Screen */
    /* Properly center the image pagination */
    /* Remove the slideshow button */
    /* Remove the Buy button */
    /* Remove the map button */
    /* Make the folder images slightly transparent when the mouse hovers over it */
    /* Fade out the transparency. This code can be removed if you do not want it to fade */
    /* Change Nivagation hover color */
    /* Set the links to transition on hover. This code is necessary for when the mouse leaves */
    /* change font in */
    /* Add a line under the breadcrumb */
    /* Reduce the thumbnail margins */
    /* Remove the Add to Cart Button from the Lightbox */
    /* Lightbox: Add the word "Close" next to the X */
    /* Set the color of the "X" */
    /* Set the properties for the entire close box */
    /* If you want to change the color of the "Close" text, uncomment out the color and set your color */
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Here is my new website http://hewitt.smugmug.com. It's pretty close, so I decided to go live and get some feedback.
    You have a good start. There are a couple of things that jumped out at me though.

First, why have you left the smugmug header and footer? Neither is needed.

I find it very difficult to read your menu entries when I hover over them - a shade of green against a shade of gray is not kind to your viewer's eyes. Use a hover color if you'd like but choose one that is visible.

I'm a bit confused about why you would gray out an image on hover. That immediately makes the photo non-interesting (to me). It doesn't make me want to click to see more. Yes, I know, that is personal preference - I'd love to understand the reason for it though.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks, didn't know you could remove the header and footer, removed, much better. I also removed the fade on mouse over, much better. Any thoughts on http://hewitt.smugmug.com/Sports/SFH...-2013/2-Brycen and how to improve the page with the orange background
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2014
    I am still playing with the grey and hover color, but I agree that there is not enough contrast. On my home page there are a bunch of pictures and now there is no action on a mouse click. How can I get taken to my galleries. To get to my galleries you have to go thru the menu bar, which is fine, but i would like both
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thanks, didn't know you could remove the header and footer, removed, much better. I also removed the fade on mouse over, much better. Any thoughts on http://hewitt.smugmug.com/Sports/SFH...-2013/2-Brycen and how to improve the page with the orange background

Personally, I think the orange is over powering. I also agree that the menu items turning green needs a different color. Still see the Powered by SmugMug in the footer.

Nice site though!:D