Options

[Implemented] Add Adsense Content Block

Comments

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    While I do not use this, others do and it helps pay for the $250/yr (for grandfathered users) or the $300/yr SmugMug payment. Many of us do not make money off of SmugMug and the added use of this request helps pay to keep them on SmugMug. Quit "investigating" this and code it. And because of this thread, I just may use it, too!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    AdamNP wrote: »
    Would you please explain what "investigated" means? There's nothing to investigate. Laughing.gif. It's probably the most commonly used, most vetted, most tested JS in the world. It is used absolutely everywhere. It's just a simple content block addition. All it would need to do is ask for a couple of parameters, the JS is drawn straight from Google's servers.

Investigated as to how to best design and build this block. It is actually already past that stage. Look for an update soon thumb.gif
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Glad to hear it. It's really the only thing missing, for me.
  • Options
    Band ParadesBand Parades Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Investigated as to how to best design and build this block. It is actually already past that stage. Look for an update soon thumb.gif

I wait in anticipation ... rolleyes1.gif

Can you give us a date then ..
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2013
    Here's a tidbit from an unrelated thread.
    Baldy wrote: »
    ...both Google Calendar and AdSense are in test (AdSense is a pain to test so it will probably take longer than Google Calendar).

The heroes have received many angry emails about AdSense since launch and I think the anger comes from imagining that we don't want ads on the site or we want a cut of the action. Actually, we just want to be more secure and to make the solution available to more people like it will be if it's built in. Our solution is not going to give us a cut.

I could go into all the misunderstandings shown in this one little quote, but I won't bother. As I/we figured, an incredibly simple thing is being turned into a huge deal.
  • Options
    Add Adsense Content Block
    Here's a tidbit from an unrelated thread.

I could go into all the misunderstandings shown in this one little quote, but I won't bother. As I/we figured, an incredibly simple thing is being turned into a huge deal.

Adam, you have to understand everything "seems" simple but there is alot that goes on behind the scenes. Design, placement, development, testing, etc. plus this isn't the only thing we have on our plate. So while I understand it's importance to you, we aren't going to take shortcuts just to make this quickly available. We prefer to do the best job we can on every little piece, so sometimes, even though it seems simple, it takes a little more work than you think. As baldy said though, this is in testing. :)
  • Options
    Adam, you have to understand everything "seems" simple but there is alot that goes on behind the scenes. Design, placement, development, testing, etc. plus this isn't the only thing we have on our plate. So while I understand it's importance to you, we aren't going to take shortcuts just to make this quickly available. We prefer to do the best job we can on every little piece, so sometimes, even though it seems simple, it takes a little more work than you think. As baldy said though, this is in testing. :)

It's a form that requires me to enter 4 short parameters, if that is how you are doing it.

With most companies I deal with, they would tell me it was "coming soon" or "in testing" and that would be all I need. Unfortunately SM has a years-long history of promising things that never come, come after years, or come only partially. Anyone who's been here any length of time knows that. I'm not saying that to be rude to you or anyone else... it's a simple fact of life with SM, and it will take a LOT of work to change that image.
  • Options
    It's a form that requires me to enter 4 short parameters, if that is how you are doing it.

With most companies I deal with, they would tell me it was "coming soon" or "in testing" and that would be all I need. Unfortunately SM has a years-long history of promising things that never come, come after years, or come only partially. Anyone who's been here any length of time knows that. I'm not saying that to be rude to you or anyone else... it's a simple fact of life with SM, and it will take a LOT of work to change that image.

I would like to think the amount of user requested feedback we have received since launch that had been implemented would be a positive sign that we are listening and working with our customers to make the best product possible. I hope in time we can sway your feelings about this.

Thanks for your understanding and I will let you know when this is live.
  • Options

But why realise the new sm if you haven't figured out everything else .. Thats like launching a website thats doesn't work fully. I understand some things take time and can be more complicated to figure out than others but as said why on earth release the new theme when you know full well it isn't 100% and i'm not just talking about google adsense. I've seen other comments on other forums regarding this new theme. It would have made sense to me to run it with a few folk testing it first ... or is that just too simple thinking.

But well this thread keeps running on myself as well as a lot of other sm users are losing money. It might well be for some of us it's just the monthly fee for sm but so what it's still money we're losing, for some i dare say it's their income. I can honestly say if this doesn't get sorted soon I will be leaving sm and setting up another website just for my photographs as what i'm paying on here I'd be as well to pay for hosting and have google adsense on it.
  • Options
    But why realise the new sm if you haven't figured out everything else .. Thats like launching a website thats doesn't work fully. I understand some things take time and can be more complicated to figure out than others but as said why on earth release the new theme when you know full well it isn't 100% and i'm not just talking about google adsense. I've seen other comments on other forums regarding this new theme. It would have made sense to me to run it with a few folk testing it first ... or is that just too simple thinking.

But well this thread keeps running on myself as well as a lot of other sm users are losing money. It might well be for some of us it's just the monthly fee for sm but so what it's still money we're losing, for some i dare say it's their income. I can honestly say if this doesn't get sorted soon I will be leaving sm and setting up another website just for my photographs as what i'm paying on here I'd be as well to pay for hosting and have google adsense on it.

There will ALWAYS be features that our customers would like to see, so in my mind SmugMug will never be "100%"

Can you honestly say any software you use is 100% perfect and does every little thing you need? I know I sure can't. There is always a way for a product you use to be improved to fit your needs better.

Adsense is a great example. SmugMug isn't 100% to you because you don't have it, but we have the numbers. Very few people actually use AdSense in SmugMug, so therefore, this feature really isn't needed for well over 95% of our customers. So in their mind, their SmugMug isn't 100% because of something THEY need, but don't have....but it sure isn't AdSense.

Either way, we are beating a dead horse. :deadhorse

This is in testing. The second this is live I will be running back here to give the good news :D
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    I think one of the biggest grips is the huge price increase and then absolutely destroying our customizations
    and having to start over. Also removing the many things that were allowed on legacy and breaking others.
    Fixing things that broke that were already features in legacy Smugmug is not a new feature but in everyone's
    mind a BUG.

I've managed after many many hours to tweak my site to somewhat look and act like legacy but I've been
    doing this for many years, pity the non-computer savvy. My overwhelming reasons for not unveiling are the
    broken keywords and no CSS flow down.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2013
    So how is the testing going?
  • Options
    So how is the testing going?

Very well Adam....believe me, I Have all notifications coming to every form of communication I have to make sure I notify you the second it is live :) Text, email, FB, Google+, Smoke Signals...you are the first person I will let know :)
  • Options
    Very well Adam....believe me, I Have all notifications coming to every form of communication I have to make sure I notify you the second it is live :) Text, email, FB, Google+, Smoke Signals...you are the first person I will let know :)

Laughing.gif. Good to know :D
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2013
    Look forward to hearing it as well ..
  • Options
    HulksmashuaHulksmashua Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner

Also eagerly awaiting the results of the testing :devbobo
  • Options
    eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    This BUSINESS-plan paying customer is anxiously awaiting as well, so I can get on with FULL BUSINESS! :)
  • Options
    gcortezgcortez Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 25, 2013
    Is there an ETA on this? I gave up tweaking codes to get adsense working, my adsense revenue pays for my SmugMug hosting, if adsense will not work, then I would better be looking for a different image hosting site.
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2013

Any news you could give us ..
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2013
    Any news what so ever please ..
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2013
    Any news what so ever please ..

It really does seem like whatever testing is necessary would be done by now. Adsense is not complicated.
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    It really does seem like whatever testing is necessary would be done by now. Adsense is not complicated.

Almost done fellas
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Allright ya'll. It's live!

PLEASE read about it and provide all feedback/bugs to The Thread on the Product News forum. I have the head developer of the project following that one. All other reports won't be seen as quickly.

my-ads-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2013
    Awesome :) It's slightly poor timing, as I just got off working 11 hours, and am leaving in 5 hours for the airport. Short trip to Acadia National Park (and yes, it's freaking closed due to our embarrassing government). I'll need about 24 hours before I can try this out properly :)

Trust me, if it works as I hope it does, I will lavish everyone with praise. Laughing.gif.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Awesome :) It's slightly poor timing, as I just got off working 11 hours, and am leaving in 5 hours for the airport. Short trip to Acadia National Park (and yes, it's freaking closed due to our embarrassing government). I'll need about 24 hours before I can try this out properly :)

Trust me, if it works as I hope it does, I will lavish everyone with praise. Laughing.gif.

Hahaha, this is going to be a long 24 hours for me ne_nau.gif

Just break into Arcadia...you will be the only one there thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Hahaha, this is going to be a long 24 hours for me ne_nau.gif

Just break into Arcadia...you will be the only one there thumb.gif

I got it done a little sooner :) I replied in the requested thread.

Trust me, I am not the only one here. There are masses of cars parked along the roads at the gated places, and people are just going in anyway. It's a whole lot less convenient though, and missing the Ocean Drive is a serious letdown. I have til Wednesday morning here, let's hope our pathetic government remembers how to do it's job before I have to leave, and I get at least a day in.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited October 5, 2013
    Trust me, I am not the only one here. There are masses of cars parked along the roads at the gated places, and people are just going in anyway. It's a whole lot less convenient though, and missing the Ocean Drive is a serious letdown. I have til Wednesday morning here, let's hope our pathetic government remembers how to do it's job before I have to leave, and I get at least a day in.
    Thanks for the park update - I'm heading to Acadia on Friday. Hopefully it will reopen by then (but I'm not holding my breath). Good to hear that you are able to walk in as that's what I intend to do too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    chrislundiechrislundie Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2013
    Thanks
    Hey guys at Smugmug for listening on this one. I really appreciate it. Implemented it in my site and have seen the penny's begin to roll in. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2013
    Thanks for the park update - I'm heading to Acadia on Friday. Hopefully it will reopen by then (but I'm not holding my breath). Good to hear that you are able to walk in as that's what I intend to do too.

--- Denise

Yeah, tons of people are doing it, but it's illegal, by the book. They do have ranger vehicles right behind the main gated spots, watching. From what I've heard, they aren't actually making people leave though, just warning them the park is closed. It sounds like you're familiar with the park... here's a photo of the scene at the Hulls' Cove entrance.

BV1kQJeCYAAihKE.jpg

I got basically no sleep before my flight this morning, so I'm just going to rest for the day, and hope for some sort of miracle in the next couple of days.