Options

Restore Site-Wide Bulk Keyword/Caption Maintenance [Submitted to product department]

BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited November 13, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Request: Restore ability to bulk edit Keywords and Captions at the side-wide level of any Keyword (i.e., within a "keyword gallery").

Benefits: This is critical for organized and consistent keyword utilization. In the legacy system, the Many Photos Caption/Keyword tool was available within any gallery, including Keyword (results) galleries -- a very efficient way to refine keywords (split, aggregate, re-word, etc.). In the new system, it appears that the only way to see/change a keyword across all its images is one image at a time -- an extremely inefficient workflow.

Further details available in these Support threads:
http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography

Comments

• Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    Request: Restore ability to bulk edit Keywords and Captions at the side-wide level of any Keyword.

Benefits: This is critical for organized and consistent keyword utilization. In the legacy system, the Many Photos Caption/Keyword tool was available within any gallery, including Keyword (results) galleries. A very efficient way to refine keywords (split, aggregate, re-word, etc.) In the new system, it appears that the only way to see/change a keyword across all its images is one image at a time, an extremely inefficient workflow.

Further details available in these Support threads:

Have you tried opening the organizer, and selecting a gallery, then select the edit button...that is where the bulk keyword editor is at now.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    Here:

i-BgrdvTM-L.jpg
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    J Allen wrote: »
    Have you tried opening the organizer, and selecting a gallery, then select the edit button...that is where the bulk keyword editor is at now.

How does that get me to all the images assigned a particular keyword (site-wide across all galleries) at once?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    How does that get me to all the images assigned a particular keyword (site-wide across all galleries) at once?

I see what your saying now....I guess the only way right now would be to create a smart gallery...that would be a lot of work if you have a lot of different keywords you need to edit.
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    J Allen wrote: »
    I see what your saying now....I guess the only way right now would be to create a smart gallery...that would be a lot of work if you have a lot of different keywords you need to edit.

Yes, indeed! In addition to the workload, that workaround could also potentially create a lot of junk smart galleries over time. And would be slower due to smart galleries not always populating instantly.

Another advantage of the current (legacy) keyword-gallery-based functionality is that one can dynamically refine the image population by combining/removing related keywords before doing the keyword edits.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    +1 - me, too
    Yes, the current NEW method is terrible. Another example of REDUCED functionality. I have over 2000 keywords (ones that make sense - probably have 3000 total thanks to earlier SmugMug capturing my filenames and parsing them to make keywords). Using Allen's (a different Allen from this post) method, I have a page that shows ALL the keywords (that I selected to show). I see instances of bad words (misspelled, etc) that are in images across multiple galleries. So, I have the same issue as Big Red. Apparently, I did not see this post and created another one here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1899074#post1899074
    I am still in Preview, not live - so, you can't see my new site (this line stops folks from saying tell us your site so we can see). Here is somewhat how this Keyword page is shaping up at the moment:
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Yes, the current NEW method is terrible. Another example of REDUCED functionality. I have over 2000 keywords (ones that make sense - probably have 3000 total thanks to earlier SmugMug capturing my filenames and parsing them to make keywords). Using Allen's (a different Allen from this post) method, I have a page that shows ALL the keywords (that I selected to show). I see instances of bad words (misspelled, etc) that are in images across multiple galleries. So, I have the same issue as Big Red. Apparently, I did not see this post and created another one here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1899074#post1899074
    I am still in Preview, not live - so, you can't see my new site (this line stops folks from saying tell us your site so we can see). Here is somewhat how this Keyword page is shaping up at the moment:
    I would suggest adding scroll bars with reduced box height.

Also text-align: justified; in CSS. My widget number (yellow).
    .sm-page-widget-[COLOR="Yellow"]1539169[/COLOR] {
    [COLOR="Red"]  height: 200px;
      overflow: scroll;
      overflow-x: hidden;[/COLOR]
      border: 6px double #222;
      background: rgba(22, 22, 22, .40);
      padding: 0 10px;
    [COLOR="Red"]  text-align: justify;[/COLOR]
    }

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hmmm...seems like I had most of that already there. I added the justify. Think when I created the text block I told it to center (really just wanted the gold text at the top centered). (Going back into that TEXT field is pretty useless as it keeps giving that WAIT box and you just can't get anything done. So, for changes in the text box, it is so much easier deleting the text box and recreating a new one). That seems to be over riding the justify command. Also, it does not seem to be affecting the scroll box at all size wise. I don't get a background change either. Also, I have the same number that you have in yellow - is that normal? Also, I added the search bar - did not have an option to have the Photo, Galleries, etc under your search string. How did you get that? I added that as a feature request. I have this in the css block for Just This Page:

.sm-page-widget-1539169 {
    height: 200px;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    text-align: justify;
    }

a {
    color: #fff;
    }

a :hover, a:hover {
    color: gold;
    }
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hmmm...seems like I had most of that already there. I added the justify. Think when I created the text block I told it to center (really just wanted the gold text at the top centered). (Going back into that TEXT field is pretty useless as it keeps giving that WAIT box and you just can't get anything done. So, for changes in the text box, it is so much easier deleting the text box and recreating a new one). That seems to be over riding the justify command. Also, it does not seem to be affecting the scroll box at all size wise. I don't get a background change either. Also, I have the same number that you have in yellow - is that normal? Also, I added the search bar - did not have an option to have the Photo, Galleries, etc under your search string. How did you get that? I added that as a feature request. I have this in the css block for Just This Page:

.sm-page-widget-1539169 {
    height: 200px;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    text-align: justify;
    }

a {
    color: #fff;
    }

a :hover, a:hover {
    color: gold;
    }
    That's my widget box number, you'll have to find your number.
    .sm-page-widget-1539169
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    I have no idea how to do that!
    I use Firebug to find it but it should show in your page source.

In your search gallery.
    Open page source and search on this. Windows Cntl-f to open find.
    Paste this in it.
    class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-html

Your number should be where the red one of mine is.
    class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-html sm-page-widget-1539169"
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Searched the source on that Keywords Page and it could not find the yellow text you wrote. Also it could not find any"-html". I did find this -
    class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-css sm-page-widget-1119361

Put 1119361 in the CSS for THAT page. saved, publish and I see no changes at all to the page!

Found this: class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-nav sm-page-widget-958393"
    and this: class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-image sm-page-widget-1288127"
    and this: class="sm-page-widget sm-page-widget-text sm-page-widget-1589338"
    Searching for "widget-html" found nothing. ??????
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Searched the source on that Keywords Page and it could not find the yellow text you wrote. Also it could not find any"-html". I did find this -

Put 1119361 in the CSS for THAT page. saved, publish and I see no changes at all to the page!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the above posts about manually coding the keyword list have nothing to do with this feature request. Could that discussion perhaps be moved to a more relevant thread? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013
    Allen, PM me if you have a thought on the CSS issue. Sorry Red!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2013

I used an HTML widget and not a text widget. And it was on the search page and not keyword page.
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2013
    Should have reported back here - Guess Allen and I were PMing. Here is the one that worked in the TEXT Block:
  • Options
    MGBradleyMGBradley Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2013
    If anyone's still listening, I'd pay at least $5 more a year for keyword / batch photo editing to work properly.

Not that I should have to. But I would. Thank God I'm still in preview mode.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2014
    bump
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    Received. No updates yet. But in the hands of product
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    any news on this?
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2015
    The tool is reproduced in another form as a Chrome extension by Nicholas Sherlock:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240752
    http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Backup
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=244077

This tool has no bugs (the last version of the SM legacy tool that I used still had bugs).
    Not only that, there are other amazing options in the tool, including
    - generating a csv or html list of all galleries, with tons of choices for parameters (including using the permalink instead of the non-coded URL)
    - creating a backup of your entire site (CSS and HTML)

The image is of the dropdown list of options when the tool is activated for any gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2015
    Thanks for the tip - I just don't usually use Chrome, but I see I've now got a reason. Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2015
    I always use Firefox but I right click page and open in Chrome to edit captions/keywords and crop thumbs.
    This is usually when editing new gallery of photos, so quick and efficient. I only use the Smug default if
    just a few.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited October 26, 2015
    Nick's Chrome extension is the only method I use for titles, captions and keywords. So much faster, intuitive, and you can see your entire gallery while you work as opposed to the somewhat suffocated view SM gives you as you keyword. His extension is the main reason I installed Chrome. SM still hasn't come up with a tool that is as useful as his. And the bonus is that many more useful tools come with that extension. And it is free. What's not to like. Glad we have him on our side. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Actually, I do all of my keywording and captioning in Lightroom - that is my master catalog, not SM. Sometimes though, I would just like to check a group of photos and see whether a Smart Gallery is actually behaving incorrectly (that's usually the case) or if the keywords have not synced properly with LR. And it also would interest me to see bulk GPS Location info in SM because some of my photos end up in really the wrong place (e.g. Bavaria instead of Bordeaux...) on the map.

Thanks for the tips, though!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited October 26, 2015
    Actually, I do all of my keywording and captioning in Lightroom - that is my master catalog, not SM.
    I use Lightroom for my keywords and captions as well. I switched from doing keywords/captions in smug a long time ago.

--- Denise
  • Options
    TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2015
    I use Lightroom for my keywords and captions as well. I switched from doing keywords/captions in smug a long time ago.

--- Denise

Hey Denise, I am planning to keyword/caption my photos for the first time. I use Lightroom as my editor and had thought I would create my keyword/captions there since it would be useful for searching the full set of my photos, and not just the subset I post on SM. But your comment intrigues me. Can you share with us the key advantages you see with doing yours in the Chrome bulk edit tool vs in SM?

Also, I've searched here for anything on keyword organizational strategy but haven't found much. By strategy, I mean how should I structure them so viewers can do searches like these:
    • All photos with "first name last name combo"
    • All photos taken in specified location (e.g., city or state, city/state combo, or country)
    • All photos in specified date range (e.g., last 30 days, month/year, or year/month/day to year/month/day)

Can you point me to a resource on this?
    Jerry

• Options
    edited October 26, 2015
    Hello Teetime,

I can't speak to how SmugMug searches work, but in general there are lots of useful tips on the web on keywording and photo metadata field standards. (For starters see: https://iptc.org/standards/photo-metadata/ or http://www.photometadata.org/meta-resources-field-guide-to-metadata or https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/GenericGuidelines/index.htm#!Documents/abouttheguidelinesdocument.htm) Basically though, keywording is a pretty individual science - your keyword list will reflect how and what you shoot. My keyword list continues to evolve over time - I started with somewhat general topics and as the years go on I have tended to get more and more specific with my keywords. As time allows I go back to old galleries and refine my kewording.

For Lightroom there are a couple of very handy plug-ins. I use John Beardsworth's "Search and Replace" plugin to create location keywords out of my location names. The location names themselves are filled in using Jeffrey Friedl's GeoEncode plugin which reads the gps location.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Sara