Options

SM footer link no longer hidden

Comments

• Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    Guys, this is pretty easy. Nobody at SmugMug has the time (or the desire) to examine every website manually to see if it has hidden the footer link or not. Nor did they in the past, which is why it was common amongst those interested in really customising their site to hide it on Legacy, even though it was just as much against the rules back then as it is now.

So just find a photographer who has figured out how to re-hide it, send them a private message about it, add the CSS to your site and enjoy your hidden SmugMug notice.

This would work until the next time they try to fix it with a hand grenade as they did this time, precisely because they don't have the time to check everyone's site - it was much easier for them to deal with it as crudely as they did. I'd much rather we negotiate and try to come up with something we can all agree on than have to find another method which would only be temporary. If they don't address it at all however then I will block theirs and replace it with an advert for Zenfolio with no qualms whatsoever.
  • Options
    tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Guys, this is pretty easy. Nobody at SmugMug has the time (or the desire) to examine every website manually to see if it has hidden the footer link or not. Nor did they in the past, which is why it was common amongst those interested in really customising their site to hide it on Legacy, even though it was just as much against the rules back then as it is now.

So just find a photographer who has figured out how to re-hide it, send them a private message about it, add the CSS to your site and enjoy your hidden SmugMug notice.

Sage advice there, Lamah. Sage advice.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014

I'm not sure if I can agree with this approach. Technically I, personally, the same as yourself, can easily circumvent their changes. Well.. until certain point:) But I do not pay SmugMug for the service they advertise and provide to play CSS wars with them. They are wrong on so many levels by falsely advertising services they end up not providing, as a paying customer I want it to stop.
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    mishenka wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I can agree with this approach. Technically I, personally, the same as yourself, can easily circumvent their changes. Well.. until certain point:) But I do not pay SmugMug for the service they advertise and provide to play CSS wars with them. They are wrong on so many levels by falsely advertising services they end up not providing, as a paying customer I want it to stop.

I concur, though I've opted not to remove the stupid line, but put up a caveat about my feelings. I don't wish to keep a vigilant eye on my site every day to see what sm has done next and have to do yet more css bs. I've wasted far too much time messing with Legacy and the New! And still my site is NOT as I expect.... A professional photography site that is only about my work and looks as such with sm nowhere to be found.

Personally as I stated previously, I'm feverishly working on my WP site to take it live this weekend. Outside of needing to put up more images, I think I have it about 90% ready and believe customers will understand. I've spent too many hours on this store to have sm render it useless at some point, because I wish to have my images printed by me or my local print shop, instead of using the labs sm has. So goodbye sm, along with my $20 a month and hello new site the way I want it for $7 a month! Yanno it was kind of silly paying for a web host and sm, but very soon I'll pay for only the hosting.

Edit: I'd like to thank all those who helped me learn css/html while developing my sites here! At 50+, I never thought I'd dive in this deep to code. Y'all are very good and most helpful!
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Charly wrote: »
    I concur, though I've opted not to remove the stupid line, but put up a caveat about my feelings. I don't wish to keep a vigilant eye on my site every day to see what sm has done next and have to do yet more css bs. I've wasted far too much time messing with Legacy and the New! And still my site is NOT as I expect.... A professional photography site that is only about my work and looks as such with sm nowhere to be found.

Personally as I stated previously, I'm feverishly working on my WP site to take it live this weekend. Outside of needing to put up more images, I think I have it about 90% ready and believe customers will understand. I've spent too many hours on this store to have sm render it useless at some point, because I wish to have my images printed by me or my local print shop, instead of using the labs sm has. So goodbye sm, along with my $20 a month and hello new site the way I want it for $7 a month! Yanno it was kind of silly paying for a web host and sm, but very soon I'll pay for only the hosting.

Edit: I'd like to thank all those who helped me learn css/html while developing my sites here! At 50+, I never thought I'd dive in this deep to code. Y'all are very good and most helpful!

Charly,

Thanks for the wakeup call...until I saw the disclaimer at the top of your homepage, I did not pick up on the fact that SM's wording would imply to some individuals that it was okay to "share" any images on my website.

I think that it is important for me to follow your lead and also add a disclaimer on my sites homepage.

I also agree that I am tired of discovering SM's whims every time I access my site and having to worry about what they will break next. It wasn't like this when I signed up back in 2004. We actually received emails warning us of problems or pending changes. I guess back then they needed customers, but now, customers seem to be a dime a dozen...upsetting one is no big deal since three more are waiting in the wings to sign up.

Might be time to move to greener pastures where the sun shines, it's peaceful, and life is just fine and dandy. I envy your move to a website you have total control over...awesome.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    shiotishioti Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2014
    Very Very disappointing move SM. I was very surprise to see this and it made my site feel less professional. What happened in the last few months that you stop caring about keeping loyal long time clients happy and satisfied with your service. :(
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2014
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Charly,

Thanks for the wakeup call...until I saw the disclaimer at the top of your homepage, I did not pick up on the fact that SM's wording would imply to some individuals that it was okay to "share" any images on my website.

I think that it is important for me to follow your lead and also add a disclaimer on my sites homepage.

I also agree that I am tired of discovering SM's whims every time I access my site and having to worry about what they will break next. It wasn't like this when I signed up back in 2004. We actually received emails warning us of problems or pending changes. I guess back then they needed customers, but now, customers seem to be a dime a dozen...upsetting one is no big deal since three more are waiting in the wings to sign up.

Might be time to move to greener pastures where the sun shines, it's peaceful, and life is just fine and dandy. I envy your move to a website you have total control over...awesome.

Phil

You're welcome Phil. Yanno so many young whipper snappers today think it's all about sharing; FB, TW, IG, PT, etc. But those either don't care or don't know how many images are stolen and used w/o permission nowadays. Of course the same goes for text, graphics, paintings, etc. too. Nor do they know what's involved to go after the thieves.... Hell so many give away their work for free every day. One would think in these hard times, no one would work for free.... I know I cannot survive by others using my work for free through theft, making money on my intellectual property and I getting ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, NADDA!

I'll be honest, it took me near 6 weeks (I'm not a coder lol) to customize my store site; many, many, many hours in front of the Mac, with a lot of hair pulling and frustrating times. Most wouldn't need to do all I did, yet I think working on it in the background was so worth now and glad I can go live to dump sm. :)
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    Looks like SM changed "Photo Sharing by SmugMug" to now read "Powered by SmugMug".
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited February 16, 2014
    Looks like SM changed "Photo Sharing by SmugMug" to now read "Powered by SmugMug".

I'm in preview mode still, but yes, that's a change since yesterday. Glad they did this. I was in the same camp with you all that "Photo sharing by Smugmug" made not a lick of sense for a paid custom pro photo site. Thanks to the management who came around to this decision and thanks for listening. I think its a good compromise.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    The 'Powered By Smugmug' is a huge improvement, even if I'd rather it wasn't there at all.

If we are going to have to have this advert on our site, at least give us a way to customise it like mentioned before. What if it was made into a 'Reserved Smugmug Content Block' which we could move where ever in the 'Entire Site' customiser. We could alter a few settings such as background colour, if the text should be 'Standard' or 'Accent', 'Normal' or 'Italic'. And it would be good if we could change everything before 'Smugmug' with the default being 'Powered By'.

Perhaps we could toggle between this advert-like copyright and a standard copyright like on the SmugMug footer? (© 2014 SmugMug, Inc.)
  • Options
    GuthriePhotographyGuthriePhotography Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Like Ford, Nike, and Canon, we're very proud of the work we've done, and need to protect our brand, our copyright, and our hard work. We currently do not have a pricing model to allow a totally unbranded SmugMug site (which would likely be very expensive).

Only as expensive as u would want to make it. your your competitor allows this at a rate that is comparable to yours now.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited February 16, 2014
    Thanks SmugMug, much better!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2014
    The wording is better for sure but you still have to scroll down to see it. I agree about making it a content block so it could be put somewhere else and not break the page layout. If I could even have it right next to my name and copyright text block - on the same line, I wouldn't object to that at all.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2014
    Amazing, surprising, unbelievable how easy some people are settling for a pathetic handout, prizing and thanking for it?! If you have a contract with a client to shoot a wedding for $3,000 and later the client gives you $100 and tells you some BS reason as to why - do you just go along with it? I doubt you will. If your client had an agreement with you for a professional portrait session and quality printouts, and you use your iPhone to take pictures that later you print at Walmart and reason your actions by the fact that the agreement did not specify Walmart or iPhone cannot be used - do you think the client would say "THANK YOU!" ?

I want Smugmug advertisement, brand, logo gone from the online gallery service interface they sold me based on their own advertisement and promotional material.

SMfooter_v2_01.jpg

SMfooter_v2_03.jpg

SMfooter_v2_02.jpg
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    LPC wrote: »
    The wording is better for sure but you still have to scroll down to see it.

Yay! And i applied some CSS code to hide the scrollbar on my homepage so by default you would not see the SM-footer right now. Since it was not my intention to hide the SM-code this is a SmugMug-bug :D

The funny part is that SM seem to fixed that a few days ago before all people got upset about the 'new' SM-footer. The SM-text appeared even with the "Hide the scrollbar"-CSS-code.

Now they changed the text and the SM-footer is invisible again. I had to add some CSS to push the SM-footer back on screen.

I'm not a pro and don't need my website to be SM-free... but i also don't wan't to get into trouble so i added some CSS to add the SM-footer while still have the scrollbar hidden.

Others need CSS to hide the footer... i need some CSS to display the footer. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2014
    Amazing, surprising, unbelievable how easy some people are settling for a pathetic handout, prizing and thanking for it?! If you have a contract with a client to shoot a wedding for $3,000 and later the client gives you $100 and tells you some BS reason as to why - do you just go along with it? I doubt you will. If your client had an agreement with you for a professional portrait session and quality printouts, and you use your iPhone to take pictures that later you print at Walmart and reason your actions by the fact that the agreement did not specify Walmart or iPhone cannot be used - do you think the client would say "THANK YOU!" ?

I want Smugmug advertisement, brand, logo gone from the online gallery service interface they sold me based on their own advertisement and promotional material.

I completely agree with you and I'm still leaving sm. I have a business account and expect nothing sm on it like was advertised to me. In the grand scheme of things, taking my $20 a month isn't going to hurt them, but if someone welches on a deal, I'm gone. My word is my bond and I expect a company to be the same way, but sadly few are like that nowadays....

In fact just this month, I had an issue with Amazon Auto Payment to sm. It wasn't my credit card, it wasn't my bank, but AP screwed up and the payment failed. I immediately contacted sm to let them know what was going on. They had already turned off my site, though turned it back on if payment was made by 5pm that very day. When I returned home, I paid with the same CC that AP said failed. Moral to the story: They expect us to pay our bill, I expect them to deliver what they promised for that payment!
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    I find it odd that SM is so crazy adamant about it not being removed, when their most direct competitor allows the removal of it even at the equivalent level of SM's Portfolio account.

If my webhost told me I had to have their link on every page of my site, I'd be laughing at them so hard it might take a day or two to change hosts. Forced advertising on paid hosting is NOT DONE. EVER. By anyone.

If it's not advertising, and just "protecting your brand", then de-link the text. "Powered by Smugmug", plain text. Anyone who understands SEO knows very well that you're doing that to get millions of backlinks from all of our custom domains, that we wanted nothing to do with. If it was free, fine, when its $150-$300, outrageous.
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Wow, what a shame. I was a Pro user when we were allowed to hide the footer on our legacy sites. Now, after all these years, I have a link, or worse yet, an advertisement, on the bottom of my page where someone can click on it and leave my site. Sorry, but this may be the last straw for me. I've sold over 10.000 prints via Smugmug and it looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for a hosting company in the next few weeks if I can't fix this. I'm not going to rant on about it, as I simply don't have the time to write a novel here. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    3PCo3PCo Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    I've read this thread with a mixture of bafflement and amusement, but it's turned to dismay. I must say it explains a great deal, especially mbonocore's statement that he sees no reason to inform his clients of changes to the code. Thus, we have this undocumented mess, no manual, the way to do things changes from day to day and no one is on top of the whole thing.
    Smugmug, whether you brand your pages (or my pages) is a small matter. But you really need to hire some project management people and put your coding efforts on a more professional basis.
  • Options
    danilewdanilew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    I've just returned from vacation to see "Powered by Smugmug" in the top 1/3 of my homepage - visible over every image. *grrrrrr*

It is at the bottom of my other smugmug pages (portfolio, galleries, and find) but my homepage is screwed and I will have to pay my customizer, once again, to figure out a way to fix the homepage.

Yes I've read this entire thread and I can't believe that this "bug" was fixed before everything else that's wrong. This is my first year with SmugMug and I'm not a happy camper; too many disappointments and revisions. I feel another "pissed off" blog post coming.
    Thank you,

DaniLew
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    I hid the Powered by Footer as it renders too early (i.e. is too noticable) and it makes a vertical scrollbar appear on all pages even if they aren't full-length. As I appreciated "the platform", I had added a slightly more subtle version of the same thing in my header / nav.

I may be old-fashioned but why force this issue? I refuse to believe you guys are making enough money from that off-screen link in my footer to make it worth your while.

Surprisingly enough, I'd consider leaving over that scrollbar. I have a lot of short pages and it really really really bugs me to both waste the horizontal space and have the distraction for my viewers. You won the tossup with Zenfolio during my analysis -- which means you just barely won and I'm sure I'd be fine there too.

a.s.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2014
    aschendel wrote: »

Surprisingly enough, I'd consider leaving over that scrollbar. I have a lot of short pages and it really really really bugs me to both waste the horizontal space and have the distraction for my viewers. You won the tossup with Zenfolio during my analysis -- which means you just barely won and I'm sure I'd be fine there too.

a.s.

Me too, the scrollbar just looks like bad design on my part but there is nothing I can do about it. It's embarrassing.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    LPC wrote: »
    Me too, the scrollbar just looks like bad design on my part but there is nothing I can do about it. It's embarrassing.

And right at the point of sale, in the cart, there is that link to smugmug trying to steer my customer away!
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    This is my theme's css work-around:

.sm-page-powered-by A:first-child:before
    {
    color: #ff0000;
    content:"I pay smugmug $300/yr and can't remove this advertisement or the scrollbar it causes -->"
    }

bowdown.gifscratch
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2014
    hahaha :) Well.. SmuMug wants advertisement.... it will get advertisement.... negative :)

SmugMug - you are underestimating the power of social media/networks available today. Good news travels fast. Bad news travels MUCH faster. YOU are creating bad reputation for yourself, we are merely spreading the word:) Have you done statistical research how people come to your service? Do you know how many of your current clients made the decision to buy your services AFTER reading review somewhere online or comparing a list of features you provide vs your competitors? You might be surprised to see a decline in your near-future, new subscribers. You do know that once something is posted online it lives there forever.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    hahaha :) Well.. SmuMug wants advertisement.... it will get advertisement.... negative :)

SmugMug - you are underestimating the power of social media/networks available today. Good news travels fast. Bad news travels MUCH faster. YOU are creating bad reputation for yourself, we are merely spreading the word:) Have you done statistical research how people come to your service? Do you know how many of your current clients made the decision to buy your services AFTER reading review somewhere online or comparing a list of features you provide vs your competitors? You might be surprised to see a decline in your near-future, new subscribers. You do know that once something is posted online it lives there forever.

These DGrin threads are fully searchable via Google :)
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2014
    Michael how did you make the 'Powered by Smugmug' text so small on your site? It is much smaller than the default on everyone else's. How did you do that?
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    These DGrin threads are fully searchable via Google :)

I know - and this is what makes it so funny :) Now, add to it dpreview, photography-on-the and similar big names. Facebook and meetup photo-groups in different markets and regions. Some smaller service reviewing and comparison sites.

In addition to social media there are other venues:

http://www.sccgov.org/forms/home/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XsnLocation=/forms/home/da/DA_ConsumerComplaintForm.xsn

http://www.dca.ca.gov/

By the way- THANK YOU for making DGrin forum an integral part of the Smugmug's provided services:)
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    I realize this is slightly off to the side-related, but anyone have any idea why THIS is getting inserted into links I post to Facebook:
    "This gallery hosted by SmugMug; your photos look better here."
    I could swear I've never seen this before. What normally posts is the thumbnail, the gallery title, and I thought either my meta-description or some of the gallery description.

EDIT: The gallery title and thumb do post, but no text other than the "gallery hosted..." line.
    More EDIT: Oh wait, is it because I have HTML blocks for the description narrative, and nothing in the gallery description itself?
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014

By the way- THANK YOU for making DGrin forum an integral part of the Smugmug's provided services:)

You are most welcome. While DGrin is a great way for users to interact and help each other, I like popping in and hearing your opinions and feedback. You guys do contribute alot to the product decisions, actually.