Options

SM footer link no longer hidden

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Not a threat at all Michael. Right now you are all using CSS to hide the footer and we are trying to move on to other projects. If you keep demanding a final stance, we will have to make one. And I don't know what that stance would be. But considering you are never satisfied, I assume you won't be with any solution.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Right now you are all using CSS to hide the footer.
    Not true. My footer's been visible since the start of this thread.

But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh?

i-8tZd2KH.jpg
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    aschendel wrote: »
    So you get the scrollbar on "short" pages (e.g. http://phaserbeam.smugmug.com/date) even when the Fill Height is "off"? Here's mine without Fill Height, you can see the footer slides up under my content and no scrollbar shows...

Yes... see screenshot below.
    I have some CSS content block on that page, i aligned that in CUSTOMIZE next to the slideshow content block (i.e. side by side, normally i have the CSS code on top/bottom of the page) and the slideshow gets much smaller (which is a bug i think) and with lots of space under the slideshow you still have to scrolldown to see the footer. See top of the screenshot.
    Even if i set Width to fixed instead of stretchy i get the scrollbar. See bottom of the screenshot.
    Anyone can see the footer on that page, he just need to scroll down while i really dislike the scrollbar... that's why i'm going to hide the scrollbar sooner or later again. This bug needs to be fixed by SmugMug, i don't want to add CSS to make the footer visible again only because they place it off-screen by default.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    SM footer link no longer hidden
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Not true. My footer's been visible since the start of this thread.

But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh?

i-8tZd2KH.jpg

Bearded, it was just a general statement. I have better things to do today than to go to all your sites to see if you are displaying the footer. I would hope you all have better things to do than to keep this thread going :)

We know about the scroll bar issue and are looking into it and will update you when it's fixed.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    We know about the scroll bar issue and are looking into it and will update you when it's fixed.

Thx!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    I would hope you all have better things to do than to keep this thread going :)
    I have a fairly clear diary, all of my work and chores are done, I'm happy to stick around until these matters are resolved thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Oh, and you might want to check the first link in your DGrin sig - it's throwing up the following:

Notice: This domain name expired on 02/20/14 and is pending renewal or deletion.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    I have a fairly clear diary, all of my work and chores are done, I'm happy to stick around until these matters are resolved thumb.gif

Well, the only matter to resolve is getting those scroll bars gone. And we will let you know when it's ready.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Oh, and you might want to check the first link in your DGrin sig - it's throwing up the following:

Notice: This domain name expired on 02/20/14 and is pending renewal or deletion.

I know. I fear the comments you guys would leave on my photos if you had access to my SmugMug site :)
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Andy wrote: »
    Um, it's on there and always has been.... rolleyes1.gif

Sorry for the comment, however, when I visited your site there was no scroll bar visible hence no footer visible. I was unable to scroll in any manner to find it. However, when I revisited your site after someone indicated it was there, a scroll bar was visible and I was able to see the footer.

I then did a Google search which provided several hits, the first with a scroll bar and footer, the second without a scroll bar and footer.

I have no idea what is causing the illusive scroll bar/footer to act in that manner. I do have a screen shot of your site without a scroll bar and footer, but I don't want to beat this subject to death.

Again, sorry for the comment which was triggered by your unhelpful comment that I felt was posted to stir up negative emotions. This is my last posting on this subject.
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014

I reported the scroll bar issue 12 days ago -
    LPC wrote: »
    14/02/14 - It has completely broken the scrolling on every page, I feel like my site has been vandalized. I had arranged every page so you didn't have to scroll to see the whole page on everything from a 19 to a 24 inch screen and that has now been broken with no way to fix it. It's the way that the line has been added in a completely insensitive 'anti-design' manner that offends me so much as it goes against everything SM had previously promised. Can it not be at least made to float rather than be a new line which you need to scroll down to see on every page? It just looks so careless after all the work I had put it to make it look professional.

- but, better late than never.
  • Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2014

We don't always manage to read every post (especially in very busy threads), but here are some tips for future bug reports that would really help us out:

1. Provide a link to the issue you're seeing, or at least a screenshot. If we can't see the issue and reproduce it, we can't fix it.

2. Don't cast blame. Nobody creates bugs on purpose. They're mistakes, and mistakes happen. I know that when I start reading a post and the first thing I see is an implication that I must be stupid for allowing a bug to happen, I tune out. Who wants to read that? Not me.

3. Please be patient. We don't all have time to lurk in the forums, and sometimes it can take a while for a bug report here to bubble up to the right people. And once it bubbles up, sometimes it takes a while to track it down, prioritize it against other work, get it fixed, test the fix, and ship the fix.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014

It was almost impossible to keep up with posts when I would tune out an hour and come back to 2 new pages of responses. thumb.gif

Reminder. DGrin is not an official SmugMug support channel. If you want guaranteed eyes on any issue from SmugMug, please email help@smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    yaypie wrote: »
    We don't always manage to read every post (especially in very busy threads), but here are some tips for future bug reports that would really help us out:

1. Provide a link to the issue you're seeing, or at least a screenshot. If we can't see the issue and reproduce it, we can't fix it.

2. Don't cast blame. Nobody creates bugs on purpose. They're mistakes, and mistakes happen. I know that when I start reading a post and the first thing I see is an implication that I must be stupid for allowing a bug to happen, I tune out. Who wants to read that? Not me.

3. Please be patient. We don't all have time to lurk in the forums, and sometimes it can take a while for a bug report here to bubble up to the right people. And once it bubbles up, sometimes it takes a while to track it down, prioritize it against other work, get it fixed, test the fix, and ship the fix.

Actually the busy threads are usually busy for a reason so you really should be reading them or at least having an intern read them for you if you are too busy and pick out the key issues. And I still don't understand how the scroll bar issue was not picked up by you or anyone in the QA team the second you applied the code? Makes no sense to me.

But anyway, you applied the code and were too busy to check the forums to see if it caused any issues but now you know there are issues to fix you are here in the forums? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    It was almost impossible to keep up with posts when I would tune out an hour and come back to 2 new pages of responses. thumb.gif

Reminder. DGrin is not an official SmugMug support channel. If you want guaranteed eyes on any issue from SmugMug, please email help@smugmug.com

Then what exactly is your remit here Michael? I don't understand - what is your job? When Baldy or anyone at SM asks you what the buzz is and what feedback they are getting what do you tell them?
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    I know. I fear the comments you guys would leave on my photos if you had access to my SmugMug site :)
    Yeah, when you're not looking we're all going to pile in there to leave multiple "Powered by SmugMug" comments everywhere :D
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Then what exactly is your remit here Michael? I don't understand - what is your job? When Baldy or anyone at SM asks you what the buzz is and what feedback they are getting what do you tell them?

Every Monday they get a full list of what you guys are saying....hence, these feature requests implementations listed here.

http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1941825&postcount=96

These were all implemented based on DGrin feedback ONLY.

I read everything you guys say...but I would rather try to make headway with the Product department and engineers than spend all my day beating a dead horse here on DGrin.

What Yaypie said is spot on. We would have a BUNCH of engineers, QA and Heroes on here all the time working with you DIRECTLY to make SmugMug better. They WANT to. But, often, they come in here to a sea of negativity and get bummed out. All their hard work seems under-appreciated by the DGrin community, so they tune out and rely solely on me to report the pulse of DGrin.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    If my boss ever said to me -

'So, did you take a look at the problem some of our customers were talking about?'

and I said

'No, they were being mean to me'

... I would be fired in a heartbeat.

Different culture I guess.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014

'So, did you take a look at the problem some of our customers were talking about?'

and I said

Who ever said that LPC? You are just making stuff up now. When did I say I couldn't report DGgrin concerns because you are being mean? I report EVERYTHING on DGrin to the appropriate people. But if I have nothing to report, I have nothing to say on the thread.

You can be mean to me all day long. It's my job to take the DGrin abuse. I don't mind. I have thick skin, and I will continue to relay bugs, feature requests, and feedback to the appropriate channels.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    But, often, they come in here to a sea of negativity and get bummed out.
    To be fair, that's how we feel when we're chasing fixes for bugs that have been in existence since SM2 roll-out.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    To be fair, that's how we feel when we're chasing fixes for bugs that have been in existence since SM2 roll-out.

Bearded, please PM me a list of your 5-10 top "bugs". Not feature requests, but bugs.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    But, often, they come in here to a sea of negativity and get bummed out. All their hard work seems under-appreciated by the DGrin community, so they tune out and rely solely on me to report the pulse of DGrin.

Please give the SmugMug team a big "Thank You!" from me.

There was a time right after the New SmugMug started where i felt being a BETA-tester... lots of things didn't work well out-of-the-box.

Right now, after all the improvments and fixes all i want/need to get my site up and running works nearly perfect (except the footer/scrollbar-thingy and some outstanding feature requests).

I'm not a website-guru and have only a very low knowledge about CSS which allows me to "fix" or "improve" some things but i also do some basic programming myself and i know what kind of hard work that is.

Still some way to go ... but...
    Thx!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Bearded, please PM me a list of your 5-10 top "bugs". Not feature requests, but bugs.

Thanks!
    Hell no, you're the guy who gets paid to make and maintain bug-lists.
    All the info you need is already here on DGrin, a lot of it is duplicated in emails to helpdesk.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Hell no, you're the guy who gets paid to make and maintain bug-lists.
    All the info you need is already here on DGrin.

Ok, don't say I never tried to help you with your own personal wish list.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2014
    Speaking of Feature Requests, I also asked for the Powered by Smugmug scroll bar to be removed in the Feature Request forum on the 19th. I was being polite so as not to offend those hyper-sensitive engineers and so I refrained from reporting it as a bug, but I guess that slipped through the net too.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Speaking of Feature Requests, I also asked for the Powered by Smugmug scroll bar to be removed in the Feature Request forum on the 19th. I was being polite so as not to offend those hyper-sensitive engineers and so I refrained from reporting it as a bug, but I guess that slipped through the net too.

LPC, seriously, don't you see they are too busy getting ready to make the BIG decision, probably, to ban me from using SmugMug all together:) Of course things will slip through the net
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 25, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Please give the SmugMug team a big "Thank You!" from me.

There was a time right after the New SmugMug started where i felt being a BETA-tester... lots of things didn't work well out-of-the-box.

Right now, after all the improvments and fixes all i want/need to get my site up and running works nearly perfect (except the footer/scrollbar-thingy and some outstanding feature requests).

I'm not a website-guru and have only a very low knowledge about CSS which allows me to "fix" or "improve" some things but i also do some basic programming myself and i know what kind of hard work that is.

Still some way to go ... but...
    Thx!clap.gif
    Thanks for your patience and help!
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    We would have a BUNCH of engineers, QA and Heroes on here all the time working with you DIRECTLY to make SmugMug better. They WANT to. But, often, they come in here to a sea of negativity and get bummed out. All their hard work seems under-appreciated by the DGrin community, so they tune out and rely solely on me to report the pulse of DGrin.

DGrin hasn't always been this way, at least this bad. It is this bad precisely *because* it feels like no one cares. I suggest to you, if all of these mysterious SM people that want to be here actually showed up and participated, the tone would become a LOT better. The frustration we feel is why it gets tense sometimes.

Someone has to go first. As the company that we are all paying tons of money to, I vote SM go first.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 25, 2014

and I said

I can start another thread on this, but I think the thing everyone here wants is for SmugMug to provide a forum for suggestions that we'll listen and respond to. I know that's exactly what we want.

So why am I here less than I used to be? It's because I have to get the best, most representative info about our customers in the shortest time. It's what every single one of them wants, including all of you. And a very broad swath of them are not represented here, and you can help fix that.

For example, we all know that young women have invaded wedding, family, newborn and fashion photography and are a very large part of our business. They fill our booth at WPPI, they're constantly writing the heroes, visiting HQ, etc. But the standard response for why so few of them participate in dgrin is, "We can't go there. It's one of those forums like YouTube where the comments are out of control."

So as dgrin becomes unrepresentative of our larger customer base, a bad cycle commences, which is fewer people at SmugMug pay attention to dgrin, making dgrinners more frustrated, making more comments like YouTube's, making fewer people pay attention to dgrin.

We could say that, okay, our heroes don't like to take heat (who does?). But if that were true, why do we have 34 heroes and in 11 years, only 1 to my knowledge has ever quit (Ivar Borst, because he got a job as an airline pilot).

Some long time dgrinners know that I've done in the past what managers of any store do when a screamer starts yelling at the clerks: they escort them out. I used to ban occasionally on dgrin and received a flood of thank-yous from our customers.

We'll get back to doing that occasionally for some of the screamers. I hate to, but it's better than arriving where so many companies like Wordpress arrive, where the founders no longer post and their moderators are anonymous, no?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    SunGlo wrote: »
    Sorry for the comment, however, when I visited your site there was no scroll bar visible hence no footer visible. I was unable to scroll in any manner to find it. However, when I revisited your site after someone indicated it was there, a scroll bar was visible and I was able to see the footer.

I then did a Google search which provided several hits, the first with a scroll bar and footer, the second without a scroll bar and footer.

I have no idea what is causing the illusive scroll bar/footer to act in that manner. I do have a screen shot of your site without a scroll bar and footer, but I don't want to beat this subject to death.

Again, sorry for the comment which was triggered by your unhelpful comment that I felt was posted to stir up negative emotions. This is my last posting on this subject.
    My comment was made to get you guys to SHOOT and not worry about stupid footer that just don't matter :) Your photos will carry the day, nothing in the footer matters one whit.