Options

Send to Smugmug - Upload Tool

Comments

• Options
    everydaymemorieseverydaymemories Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    trouble with Send to Smugmug
    For weeks I've been having a problem with Send to Smugmug, and a second problem cropped up in the last week. Is the program no longer working? I really liked how it worked in Windows, saving a step. I tried re-installing it so I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version.

1. Even though I set it to sort photos by filename A-Z, the photos appear in my gallery Z-A and I have to go into Customize Gallery and tell it to sort them there.

2. Videos keep failing to upload. They upload fine through the uploader at the Smugmug website so it's definitely a problem with the Send to Smugmug program. And I have the SmugVault, so it's not a size issue.

Any ideas? Or do I have to give it up and use Smugmug's uploader?
    Michele
    michelekendzie.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2009
    No one can help with this? My Send to Smugmug program is still failing to upload videos. I would really like it to work again because it's so much easier than the Smugmug uploader.
    Michele
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    2. Videos keep failing to upload.
    I saw this happenning right before SM changed their default uploader. Send to stopped working for me years ago. The video failures definitely mean something has to be updated in Send to. But in my experience, I had hit or miss success with it working at all on various computers. The same can be said for almost all the SM uploaders. :cry That's why I want FTP.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    I finally found Omar Shahine's email address on his blog and wrote to him directly. After a series of emails back and forth, we got it working again. Yay!
    Michele
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    ...we got it working again. Yay!
    Awesome! Was it a problem with send to or something on your computer? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    It was a problem with the Send to Smugmug program. Not sure exactly what, but after he sent me a couple of versions to re-install it started working again.
    Michele
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    It was a problem with the Send to Smugmug program. Not sure exactly what, but after he sent me a couple of versions to re-install it started working again.
    Cool. We definitely don't need to lose any third party uploaders...
  • Options
    mcfangmcfang Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    Bug with IPTC fields?
    Just recently I noticed that images uploaded with Send to Smugmug (StS) are missing keywords under some conditions.

What I have found is that the IPTC keywords field appears to be ignored if the image is uploaded with StS. Though if the keywords are present in the XMP tag then they will be added.

Both IPTC and XMP tags are correctly parsed if the file is uploaded through the normal smugmug uploader or Java bulk uploader, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the metadata itself.
  • Options
    bradorrbradorr Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    mcfang wrote:
    Just recently I noticed that images uploaded with Send to Smugmug (StS) are missing keywords under some conditions.

What I have found is that the IPTC keywords field appears to be ignored if the image is uploaded with StS. Though if the keywords are present in the XMP tag then they will be added.

Both IPTC and XMP tags are correctly parsed if the file is uploaded through the normal smugmug uploader or Java bulk uploader, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the metadata itself.

I've seen the same thing.. although, I'm bouncing between the "Add to Photo's" java uploader, and the Picasa uploader.. not sure why I sometimes don't get keywords and sometimes I do.. can be one or two photos from the same upload.. my backend workflow is still the same ( processing steps... ) Thought I'd try STS, but looks like it's having problems too.
  • Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Anyone else having problems with StS lately?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=168747
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    I see that when I upload pics via send to smugmug I get close to 50% failure rate. I consistently get the message "some photos failed to upload, would you like to try again"
    This is a long drawn cycle.
    I am able to upload 200-500MB videos to youtube without issue, so do not think connection is an issue. Photofox is working fine, and I use that now, but I would like to go back to send to smugmug
  • Options
    edmoedmo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2010
    Send to SmugMug
    Hey,
    "this file may contain malicious code that may be harmful to your computer"
    Those words keep me away from third party applications. I was considering opening the file but that warning sends chills up my spine. So I decided to check the forums. It seems that you have many satisfied users and I applaud the efforts of Mr. Omar. How ever, quite a few people have had problems as well.

I am sure SmugMug has the intellect and resources to write up their own code and make a fool proof, FAST, desk top up-loader.
    (similar to.......dare I say it.........Flickrs)

With a site as fantastic as SmugMug it's a must have Andy, A MUST HAVE!
    Thanks, Calvin E.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2010
    edmo wrote: »
    Hey,
    "this file may contain malicious code that may be harmful to your computer"
    Those words keep me away from third party applications. I was considering opening the file but that warning sends chills up my spine. So I decided to check the forums. It seems that you have many satisfied users and I applaud the efforts of Mr. Omar. How ever, quite a few people have had problems as well.

I am sure SmugMug has the intellect and resources to write up their own code and make a fool proof, FAST, desk top up-loader.
    (similar to.......dare I say it.........Flickrs)

With a site as fantastic as SmugMug it's a must have Andy, A MUST HAVE!
    Thanks, Calvin E.

You can trust SendToSmugMug, we love it and Omar. The app works great. Sorry you got that warning!
  • Options
    shahineoshahineo Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2010
    For weeks I've been having a problem with Send to Smugmug, and a second problem cropped up in the last week. Is the program no longer working? I really liked how it worked in Windows, saving a step. I tried re-installing it so I'm pretty sure I have the most recent version.

1. Even though I set it to sort photos by filename A-Z, the photos appear in my gallery Z-A and I have to go into Customize Gallery and tell it to sort them there.

2. Videos keep failing to upload. They upload fine through the uploader at the Smugmug website so it's definitely a problem with the Send to Smugmug program. And I have the SmugVault, so it's not a size issue.

Any ideas? Or do I have to give it up and use Smugmug's uploader?

#1 was an elusive bug that I just recently fixed. Will be in the next version.

#2 can you submit error logs from the help menu to me when you see a failure?
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2010
    Hi Omar,
    can you look into my query about "failed uploads" mentioned about 2-3 posts above?
  • Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I love this tool, and have uploaded everything I have on SM since 2009 with it... and now it is broken with the new SM :( It cannot find galleries, categories, etc, not surprising since the organization has changed. Any chance it will be fixed soon?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    AdamNP wrote: »
    I love this tool, and have uploaded everything I have on SM since 2009 with it... and now it is broken with the new SM :( It cannot find galleries, categories, etc, not surprising since the organization has changed. Any chance it will be fixed soon?

Adam, did you get a notice to install the new version? I updated it last weekend to work with the new SmugMug.

http://shahine.com/garage/software/send-to-smugmug/
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    shahineo wrote: »
    Adam, did you get a notice to install the new version? I updated it last weekend to work with the new SmugMug.

I did not get a notice, no. I should have checked your site, I just assumed there was no way it could have been fixed so soon after the launch of new SM. You're awesome, thank you clap.gif
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013

For those of us remaining on the legacy SM system for awhile, should we continue to use the previous version? Or will the new version know we haven't migrated? [Great tool BTW, thanks!]
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    BigRed wrote: »
    For those of us remaining on the legacy SM system for awhile, should we continue to use the previous version? Or will the new version know we haven't migrated? [Great tool BTW, thanks!]

The new version should work with any version of SmugMug
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    The new version should work with any version of SmugMug

Hi.

I tried to install this latest update on XP SP3 but it won't have it, I get the following message:

"This program does not support the version of Windows your computer is running."

Is that correct? XP really not supported? If so, I'm stuffed because my laptop won't handle an OS update.

FWIW, previous version (uploader reports v1.3.323.0, Windows reports v1.3.0324) worked flawlessly since installation.

Cheers,

BG!
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Email reply from Omar Shahine:
    Sorry, I really can’t. I had to make a bunch of changes that now ensure that Send to SmugMug won’t work with XP any longer

So that's me stuffed then :(:
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    The new unloader unfortunately still messes up file names if they have non ascii characters.
    http://afx.smugmug.com/SmugPreview/Tescht/n-xBF6L
    contains an image in two variants. The only difference is the filename and the uploader used.
    Using the smugmug uploader I can see the file name in the info field, using StS, no filename is shown.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    afx wrote: »
    The new unloader unfortunately still messes up file names if they have non ascii characters.
    contains an image in two variants. The only difference is the filename and the uploader used.
    Using the smugmug uploader I can see the file name in the info field, using StS, no filename is shown.

cheers
    afx

I looked at that link and didn't see an image. If I can grab one I'll fix the bug.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I looked at that link and didn't see an image. If I can grab one I'll fix the bug.
    Sorry,
    silly me moved it and forgot to change the post.
    It should be here now: http://afx.smugmug.com/Other/Tescht/n-xBF6L

thx
    afx
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Hi there. I had been using the newest version without issue. I went to use it tonight and I got this error pop up when the program tries to log in. I believe this is the first time I've used it since my renewal date passed a few days ago. Did something change with that?
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    AdamNP - Just so you are not alone, I am running into this as well. It worked just a few days ago (Sunday I think?)

Mike.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    AdamNP wrote: »
    Hi there. I had been using the newest version without issue. I went to use it tonight and I got this error pop up when the program tries to log in. I believe this is the first time I've used it since my renewal date passed a few days ago. Did something change with that?

Sorry about that. I've never heard of a Portfolio account. Will fix in the next update (will post a link here when that's done).
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    @shahineo:
    Did you manage to grab my testfiles regarding the NON-ASCII filenames?

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2013
    afx wrote: »

cheers
    afx

Thanks. I think I have a fix.