Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    Generaly people only do low beams on the BMW's, don't know why.

I'll check out these "cibies" you speak of.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    In fact, the e34 lights are 5.75 inch circles right? That means you could use the complex reflector Cibie lights which are even better.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    In fact, the e34 lights are 5.75 inch circles right? That means you could use the complex reflector Cibie lights which are even better.
    Oh I know what those are and they suck and look fugly. I have projectors in there now and they're a lot better and have great light output.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Oh I know what those are and they suck and look fugly. I have projectors in there now and they're a lot better and have great light output.
    They suck and look fugly? Have you ever used them? Maybe they don't look as cool (I assume by this you mean how they don't put out blue light), but they provide the best light pattern. I guess maybe I'm just on a different page...the one where function takes precedence over form. Don't confuse these with the hella versions.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    They suck and look fugly? Have you ever used them? Maybe they don't look as cool, but they provide the best light pattern. I guess maybe I'm just on a different page...the one where function takes precedence over form.
    Since when do ellipsoids have bad lighting? Ellipsoids+6k HID = best possible lighting.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Since when do ellipsoids have bad lighting? Ellipsoids+6k HID = best possible lighting.
    6k HID are awful in the fog. Well, I suppose to be fair I've never used any of the aftermarket ones personally, but the physics behind it are the same as the Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche HID's. It's the color of the light that's the issue. It also, by being whiter, tricks your mind into thinking there is more light than there is, causing your pupils to contract more than would be ideal, limiting your downrange vision (i.e. where the light is less). Also, it creates glare that bothers other drivers, so it just makes the whole situation worse for everybody. Also, check the pattern on whatever HID kit you get. you want something which sharp cutoff lines and that has a 45 degree angle up (i.e. looks like this /
    ______/ though not as steep)
    Dammit it won't keep my spacing...pretend the "/" on the higher line and the "/" on the lower line line
    up.

Also, see here. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    1st there is no fog here at all. Never seen it in 19 years.

here is the cutoff
    12ft.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Good cutoff, but either way, did you read the stuff at that link I sent you?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    Good cutoff, but either way, did you read the stuff at that link I sent you?

I read the article. Not bad either.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Well it's official. I go the down payment from a moderator on www.bimmerforums.com who bought my car. He lives in NJ so my friend who is driving to NYC next weekend is going to bring it down there.

After I got the down payment from the 325ix, I sent it right on to Brent for this

IMG_0695.jpg

thumb.gif

????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited April 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Like father, like son lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I enjoy that post even more when I remember that he still owes you the money for the iX.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Now do you want to trade me for the Mini dad? J/K I love this car. Pretty sweet deal that he's giving it to me for the same price I sold my 325ix for too.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Now do you want to trade me for the Mini dad? J/K I love this car. Pretty sweet deal that he's giving it to me for the same price I sold my 325ix for too.
    Where's my money
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Where's my money
    We have a payment plan, don't we?

The plan goes ahead as... planned headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    We have a payment plan, don't we?

The plan goes ahead as... planned headscratch.gif

excellent.jpg
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Why is everything on this car so blue? Looks like they painted over every bit of trim with blue spray paint. Why didn't they just finish the job and paint the tires, wheels, and windows blue?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    I was just thinking... before you go dreaming about lights and stuff that probably falls into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category, you should think about a winter wheel package for that sled. Those lo-pros and in size "steamroller" will be quite the handful. We already know your ice-racing rep.
    lol3.gif

And, that's another thing. First snowfall and that front lip will look like crap. I'd remove it preemptively before it starts to look tattered. Then you'll have to reprime it next year, and you won't be able to get the right blue color for 2 months, and you'll drive around with primer gray body effects like every other 19 year old "import" kid.

rolleyes1.gif

(where's my cardigan. bah humbug!)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 26, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Why is everything on this car so blue? Looks like they painted over every bit of trim with blue spray paint. Why didn't they just finish the job and paint the tires, wheels, and windows blue?

66425024-M.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    E34%20black%20moldings.jpg

now it just looks like that actor with the big busy eye brows.

Doc: The car has comes with stock wheels and another set of 18 inch wheels. However I don't plan on driving it in the winter at all. Last winter I really only drove my car 3-4 times so I'll either get a $200 POS for the winter or just not drive.

Thats my avatar on my BMW forum rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    then you'll have to reprime it next year, and you won't be able to get the right blue color for 2 months,

I don't get when people talk about not being able to get a color match...have they ever heard of going to a good body shop? I got one to match the blue on my 20 years of parked outside car, i.e. they matched the new paint to old.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:

now it just looks like that actor with the big busy eye brows.

Groucho Marx? I actually like the all blue, having left the trim black with that color wouldn't have worked. Still though, eyebrows got to go.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Yeah the paint is only 2 years old and its Negaro Blue from an Audi S4. Souldn't be too hard to match.

Oh I forgot to mention that that front lip already is ripped off so I need another one.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    looking up plate combos on the dmv site

these are taken:

BIG BLUE
    BIGBLUE
    SMURFETT
    BLUSMURF
    POPSMURF
    BLUEBMW
    BLUE BMW

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    ANTRIEB is available so I'll probably use that. It is my user name on bimmerforums.com It is "to drive" in German
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    ANTRIEB is available so I'll probably use that. It is my user name on bimmerforums.com It is "to drive" in German

Don't go with a custom plate, just do a regular plate. Custom plates are easy to remember.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Don't go with a custom plate, just do a regular plate. Custom plates are easy to remember.
    Have you seen the car? The whole thing is very hard to forget.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Have you seen the car? The whole thing is very hard to forget.

I'm just saying, a blue bmw license plate A-something and and a blue bmw license plate ANTRIEB are two different things in court.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    I'm just saying, a blue bmw license plate A-something and and a blue bmw license plate ANTRIEB are two different things in court.
    Richard: Back to the LIBRARY WITH YOU :whip
This discussion has been closed.