Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    EXACTLY...only a version that doesn't cost more than a Honda Shadow VLX.

Well, though the magic of the internet I have found there are in fact plenty of bikes like I'm talking about, they just don't bring them to the US.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 20, 2006
    Well, though the magic of the internet I have found there are in fact plenty of bikes like I'm talking about, they just don't bring them to the US.
    :ROFL I love it when people quote themselves.

Anyway that m6 is nice. S38 Power!

In all reality it probably needs work and I have no way of getting 10k
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Anyway that m6 is nice. S38 Power!

In all reality it probably needs work and I have no way of getting 10k

Yeah, it slipped my mind that your 3er wasn't paid for, I was thinking you could borrow from the ol' man, sell your 3er and put summer job money on top of that to pay for it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    if you're used to US bikes, you'd think all those nonUS market bikes were crap. remember, in other countries, people use them much more like tools, so many of the peripheral parts are very cheap even if the engine is good.

Take off the tweed jacket you old sod, and get one of these:

motard610.jpg

yes, basically a dirt bike with 17" wheels and sticky rubber. on real backroads, nothing can beat the confidence inspiring standard seating position and wide bars. ain't nothin like backin' one of these into a corner while passing a bunch of squids on their hypersport replica bikes. naughty.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    if you're used to US bikes, you'd think all those nonUS market bikes were crap. remember, in other countries, people use them much more like tools, so many of the peripheral parts are very cheap even if the engine is good.
    If I get one I plan on using it like a tool. What I want is something like the 50cc's honda made back in the 60's: an adult sized frame, a seat, full size wheels, and a 49.7cc motor. The plan is basically that if I'm still not allowed to have my car at school next year, I'd pick one up myself (below 50cc no insurance or registration or motorcycle license necessary...and the bike itself would have to be sub-$1000). It seems like there are a handful of Aprilia 50 RS's that a person can find if he looks around...I don't care much for the wannabe racer look, but it seems like the only option of the bikes that make it into the states.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    If I get one I plan on using it like a tool. What I want is something like the 50cc's honda made back in the 60's: an adult sized frame, a seat, full size wheels, and a 49.7cc motor. The plan is basically that if I'm still not allowed to have my car at school next year, I'd pick one up myself (below 50cc no insurance or registration or motorcycle license necessary...and the bike itself would have to be sub-$1000). It seems like there are a handful of Aprilia 50 RS's that a person can find if he looks around...I don't care much for the wannabe racer look, but it seems like the only option of the bikes that make it into the states.
    you'd be better off with a scooter. those RS's are very slow on the street, bad acceleration. fun on the track because it's so light you can just keep it wide open the whole time and work on cornering. I've ridden one in both situations, and like I said, on the street, you'd be better off with the scooter that is geared for some accel.

BTW, the RS is a 2T. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    BTW, the RS is a 2T. nod.gif
    A what? EDIT: 2T means 2 stroke right? What's wrong with that...I've always been fond of the 2 stroke motor...good for rc car racing anyhow, plus nothing like blue smoke coming out of the exhaust being normal.
    And I'll walk before I ride a scooter.

It's too bad they don't bring all the 50cc's to the states, a few years back a friend of mine had a real badass husqvarna...50cc, but he had modded it so it could get up to 80mph and still pull in the lower end. I guess what I'll end up doing is just buying a fixer upper bicycle from the campus police auction next year for like $5, put a few bucks of parts into it, buy a lock and a light, and be done with it. You can't really walk places when the town is setup so that either it's within 1 block of campus, or it's at least 5 miles from campus.
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Bah, I rather have an exige or elise, plus those are street legal. I'm not quite sure why, but I've never liked the ariel atom.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    OMG, ROFLMAO, you guys have got to read this story

wety12z.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Wow that is absolutely rediculous. Talk about a bad day!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I was thinking you could borrow from the ol' man

:nono the bank is closed
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Now my turn for a funny since I can't make new threads rolleyes1.gif

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...25987281635407
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    OMG, ROFLMAO, you guys have got to read this story

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifclap.gifclap.gif

lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Now my turn for a funny since I can't make new threads rolleyes1.gif
    very true, very true....
    Cra$h wrote:

And therein lies the reason that I do NOT piss of the wife. lol3.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    very true, very true....

And therein lies the reason that I do NOT piss of the wife. lol3.gif
    hm...your wife looks a lot different in photos.

she's got a mean right hook tho.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I can't make new threads rolleyes1.gif

giveadamn.gif

Been waiting for you to say something I could use that one on. :D
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    It is a grave injustice that Cra$h can't post new threads. That's censorship, one of the most abominable offenses against liberal democracy. It's un-American I say!!! When a long train of abuses, prevarications, and artifices, all tending the same way, make the design visible to the people that they cannot but feel what they lie under, and see whither they are going; it is not to be wondered that they should then rouze themselves, and endeavour to put the rule into such hands which may secure them to the ends for which government was at first erected!

BTW, Bigwebguy, your avatar creeps me out.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    It is a grave injustice that Cra$h can't post new threads. That's censorship,

Andy is his diafu, He brought him into this world, and he can tell him what he can and can't do. thumb.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Andy is his diafu, He brought him into this world, and he can tell him what he can and can't do. thumb.gif

Respect one's parents???!!! That's equally un-American.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    Not only that, I'd probably post a bunch of dumb stuff and turn this place into an OffTopic junkyard.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You want fun? forget the spanish inquisition style rack-like sport bikes... get yourself a motard. Now there's the most fun you can have with your clothes on. naughty.gif

Ok, this is getting too far down the page, time for a post. Is the BMW HP2 Enduro a motard? If so, motard rocks.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    I <333 rice
    This is my friends writeup about his e34 5-series that I want.
    VTBimmer wrote:
    I bought the car in 2000 and since then I have done extensive work to it.
    I bought it from a Doctor in Boston. There were 18x8 OZ Monte Carlos, Clear corners, clear Hella tails, Eibach springs, AC Schnitzer rear spoiler, Takayama exhaust which is still on today and sounds awesome, and a Momo steering wheel and shift knob. Those were the only upgrades done by the PO. He had a crappy Maco job done in a slightly lighter shade then the original Bronzite color which the clearcoat started to bubble a few years later and explains the color transformation.
    This is how it looked when I purchased it.....
    DCP00417.jpg
    DCP00418.jpg
    DCP00419.jpg
    DCP00420.jpg

Tan on tan with 135k miles. I paid $9k for it :roll:
    I was heavy into stereo systems at the time so the first thing I did before I even got to drive the car was ship it down to Sound In Motion in Allston MA. Derick and the guys are well know for their superb custom stereo work. I found them and their work in a Auto Sound & Security mag.
    So there it was for 3 months and another $9k later I had the sickest stereo system I had ever laid eyes or ears on.
    For some reason I cant open or host those pix because they are a FPX file? So if any of you tech wizards can tell me how to convert them to JPG I'll post em.

The stereo was nice and the exterior was nice but like the dilema I have now, the interior was tan, boring, and kind of dirty. I called up Dr. Vinyl in Pittsfield Mass. to inquire about a full interior dye to black. The only thing that was black to start was the top of the dashboard. They had never done anything this extensive before and once they had finished I think they decided to never do it again. The final result was excellent but they did go through hell to get it that way which reflected in the $2k bill. :eek

Now that I was able to drive the car I started to add and upgrade things such as all new brakes, RD sway bars, strut bar, Bilstein shocks, Breyton Magic wheels 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear. Brushed aluminum shift knob, ebrake handle, and RD door sills. RD black pedals were added also as well as a blue BMP lap timer on the steering wheel.
    Everything was looking good untill the clearcoat bubbled everywhere two years ago. My decision was to strip it down and paint it in one weekend. Yeah right. It took about 100hrs of work to complete the job and we still never did the engine bay. My dumbass thought it would be cool to change colors from light to dark :nono That made the process a whole lot harder.
    Nogaro Blue was choosen from the Audi S4. The moldings were shaven and the rear window spoiler was molded to the roof. Windows tinted, tails tinted, gold leafed the emblems at $25 a pop. DTM front splitter, FK auto dtm mirrors, RGM eyelids, CF window trim, shadowline.
    interioe.jpg
    P1010260k.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg

spots, and door sills painted.....
    IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    42370003.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    Andy, can you show that last post to Oliver? Also this one...

http://nmmr.immane.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    Whoa, you're actually thinking of buying that abomination against Bavaria? Well the most important thing is who did the paint job? And so he works for Bavarian Autosport or something? One more thing, the aerokit, is that a non-matched kit (i.e. rear spoiler from one kit, fron spoiler from another, sideskirts from another)? If so, should be fun...though I guess at typical autocross speeds it's not a big deal.

So, do you now see why I was saying it seemed to me that the meetup would be a bunch of guys with popped up collars and red bulls?
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Is the BMW HP2 Enduro a motard?

Nope.

The HP2 is a super-enduro/mega trailbike thing. Basically a super-sized dirt bike. A motard is a standard, light weight dirt bike with wider, smaller diameter wheels and sportbikeish tires. Here is Suzuki's take on the motard.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Whoa, you're actually thinking of buying that abomination against Bavaria? Well the most important thing is who did the paint job? And so he works for Bavarian Autosport or something? One more thing, the aerokit, is that a non-matched kit (i.e. rear spoiler from one kit, fron spoiler from another, sideskirts from another)? If so, should be fun...though I guess at typical autocross speeds it's not a big deal.

So, do you now see why I was saying it seemed to me that the meetup would be a bunch of guys with popped up collars and red bulls?
    Yes I think I will buy it. He's selling it to me for the same price i'm selling my 325ix. This guy lives in VT and has 3 BMW's and really just wants to get rid of this one. If you read what he wrote, He spent $9k in audio, $4k in paint, then probably another few thousand on wheels and suspension. It's a really nice car and I'll rock it for a long time.

As for the BavAuto thing, the car won in a photo contest.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    wow I just re-read through that writeup and he spent $9,000 on audio upgrades! I think thats rediculous, I'm fine with a CD player and even that I'd rarely use. Guess I'm going to be thumpin down the streets in my new thug BMW.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    As for the BavAuto thing, the car won in a photo contest.

Yeah, that came to mind after I posted but I wasn't sure since he also had a bavarian autosport decal under the spoiler...and the toyo tires in the window? I just don't get it.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    ... and I'll rock it for a long time.
    rolleyes1.gif

yeah. right.
    Erik

This discussion has been closed.