Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    They share everything except for bodywork, badging and some interior parts. nod.gif

Oh ok. Ok, so the real reason I'm posting is just because I'm finding wifi access points everywhere...though I don't know if they're official or unofficial.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2006
    Hey smurfette. I hope the reason your not on is cause your studying. I mean it's one thing to not know how to control a car on ice. But to not know how to study and get decent grades. Boy I hope the bank of dad has impounded that car for the summer.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2006
    Anybody have any thoughts on the current Ford Mustang? Doc? Also interested to hear people's thoughts on the parts offered by Ford Racing Performance. Oh, and anybody know any good mustang forums?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 21, 2006
    Anybody have any thoughts on the current Ford Mustang? Doc? Also interested to hear people's thoughts on the parts offered by Ford Racing Performance. Oh, and anybody know any good mustang forums?
    I still haven't driven one, but I haven't read a really bad review of it yet. I know quite a bit about that platform, as its a variant of the one I worked on while at Ford. They spent a long time making sure that car was perfect, and they also know the audience better than their own children. No, seriously, aside from trucks, Ford spends more time with actual Ford customers than any other product, and they have to deliver. Inexpensive, powerful, emotional, highly tune-able for even more power is the result.

I don't know much about the Ford Racing parts division either, but I've seen some of the results and they are cool.

So in conclusion, I'm absolutely useless to you. lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 21, 2006
    My bro is casually tossing around the idea, but his biggest hangups are 1 - it might not have the long term durability he is used to and 2 - it's not quite powerful enough. A muscle car of 2006 needs to have at least 350hp in his mind, and I'm thinking a FPR CAI and mufflers w/chip retune to 93 octane, plus underdrive pulleys (would you have to reflash the chip for underdrive pulleys?) would bring it up to 350.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006

Actually funny you should ask this. Guess what I got to drive today......

Seems Andy needed someone to drive his red mustang vert back to the rental company in vegas (see crash if you would study and work hard your dad would let you play more).

It was the 6 :( but it was still fairly peppy. The engine was fairly responsive. The suspension was weak but I'm sure a coupe would be stiffer then the vert was. Over all I like the car and it was fun to drive although a stick would have been more fun. The real problem I had with the car was the over all appearance of quality or lack there of. My mother had bought one of the first mustangs that was made. And she had problems from the get go with things falling off of it. Like the steering system. Now mechanically I couldn't find anything super wrong with it. However..... The quality of the interior sucks. The lights kept falling out of the trunk. The entire gear shift assembly was falling apart. Etc. I would buy an older one and modify it yes. But I wouldn't buy a new one, Lease maybe but not buy.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    Over all I like the car and it was fun to drive although a stick would have been more fun. The real problem I had with the car was the over all appearance of quality or lack there of....Etc. I would buy an older one and modify it yes. But I wouldn't buy a new one, Lease maybe but not buy.

The one I test drove wasa V8 stick. It was the best manual transmission ever to find itself in an American car I think. Nice short, light, clutch, good tight gearbox (shorter shifting than our Porsche). I did notice that the plastics were pretty cheap, though I think it was by far the best quality Mustang ever built (MUCH tighter gaps, and the old mustangs had AWFUL shifters), so I find it interesting that you would buy an old one and not a new one.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    It was the 6 :( but it was still fairly peppy...
    The V6 and the GT are as different as cars sharing the same platform could be. I don't need to have driven one to know this - I was at Ford meetings long enough to know that the V6 is so completely devoid of half the features that go inot the GT, this includes different interior pieces, almost all suspension pieces, and obviously engine/gearbox. Plus, its a rental, I think those are in fact the worst of the crop - get assembled the fastest and with the worst parts (this is true, not just a rumor, there is a difference between what Hertz gets in a V6 and what your dealer will get). Drive a V8 and report back on the quality, that interior suprised the heck out of me. And for the money, add in the pretty sweet engine you got one heck of a deal.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    And for the money, add in the pretty sweet engine you got one heck of a deal.

That's the problem for my brother: engine isn't THAT sweet. I liked it, partly because I recognize how performance and an engines output can be different thanks to weight, plus it seems the new mustangs have VERY low driveline losses. The way my brother sees it is the old Firebird ram air had 325hp, and that car was out 10 years ago. I'm trying to tell him to just get a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys and the Ford Performance Racing exhaust CAI and chip (I figure that for parts that FPR makes, the FPR's are probably better than other aftermarket since they have the most resources available to them), or not to and enjoy the savings of 87 octane, but I don't think it's working well.

Wow, I just realized I'm like an echo if you look a few posts up...need to start taking my vitamins...btw, also, it seems like there is no hope and he won't be getting one. There is talk of him either taking a 94 olds bravada we have that used to be my mom's but now my dad uses to get to work (which would entail my dad taking the Porsche to work, which he wants to avoid) or talk of selling the Bravada and my mom getting an slk and my brother taking her 98 540iA, which would also entail my dad taking the Porsche to work. I really do think the only logical way to solve this would be for him to get his own car. He's moving out, he's never really spent any of his money so he's go 40k put away (of course he doesn't want to spend all of that...it's not even clear yet if he'll be paying or my dad will buy, but we've capped at 30k), I think he should get a car that he likes for himself, and not have to take one that isn't exaclty what he wants and also throws things out of whack.

Which would bring the running to an 88 BMW M6, new Mustang (I still hope hehe...maybe it's just because I'm becoming a Carolina boy, I know I used to like the m6 more) a later 80's early 90's MB 560SEC and I think that's about it. Maybe like an E46 3-series with a 5-speed.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    Wow, I just realized I'm like an echo if you look a few posts up...need to start taking my vitamins...btw, also, it seems like there is no hope and he won't be getting one. There is talk of him either taking a 94 olds bravada we have that used to be my mom's but now my dad uses to get to work (which would entail my dad taking the Porsche to work, which he wants to avoid) or talk of selling the Bravada and my mom getting an slk and my brother taking her 98 540iA, which would also entail my dad taking the Porsche to work. I really do think the only logical way to solve this would be for him to get his own car. He's moving out, he's never really spent any of his money so he's go 40k put away (of course he doesn't want to spend all of that...it's not even clear yet if he'll be paying or my dad will buy, but we've capped at 30k), I think he should get a car that he likes for himself, and not have to take one that isn't exaclty what he wants and also throws things out of whack.
    If only everyone had your family problems... lol3.gif

Tell your bro to get his mullet out of his butt and get a sweet new Mustang. Old firebird may have ponies, but its just that = OLD! There is a lot to live on an everyday basis in the new Mustang.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 22, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    If only everyone had your family problems... lol3.gif

Tell your bro to get his mullet out of his butt and get a sweet new Mustang. Old firebird may have ponies, but its just that = OLD! There is a lot to live on an everyday basis in the new Mustang.

Well, my dad once worked it out, he can't afford to lease cars, he can't afford to buy a new car every 3 or 4 years like many people do, but he can afford to buy a very very nice car every 7 years or so and hold onto them for at least 10 years. Like I said, my MB we bought new 20 years ago, that Olds we bought new 12 years ago, that BMW we bought new 8 years ago, and the Porsche is 4 years old but we just got it. I can see how it would be impossible to have nice cars if a person treats them like disposable items, but I don't think we've ever kept a car for less than 9 years, and that number goes up to 12 if you don't count the lincoln mk vii LSC we had that started to need too many repairs after nine years.

Oh, and he's not actually considering a Ram Air, he's just saying if a 10 year old Firebird has 325 a new mustang should have 350.
    Speaking of mullets, the gt I tested had added to it by the dealership: a shaker hood functional intake, turn signals in the rear that would light up progressively from inside to outside, and hydraulics on the hood (a good idea in my opinion).
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2006
    With my new job gotta find something better on gas then my ranger with 4.10 gears in it. So I went and looked at this today. Should finish the paperwork tomorrow on it. Its rated at 24/32 and I was getting about 36mpg on the highway this afternoon.
    Nice lookin' Fusion there Jeremy. My Ranger is also probably on it's way out.. Test drove a nicely equipped Mazda3 last weekend. Very nice. Was ready to pull the trigger too.. we just couldn't get together on the details. I was really hoping to pull the trigger this week.. and have the new ride for a road trip the woman and I are making next weekend. ... Temp tags are good inter-state, right?
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The V6 and the GT are as different as cars sharing the same platform could be.
    Supposedly the 4.0L SOHC V6 in the new Mustang is right out of my Ford Ranger.. All the Ranger guys are pumped about that because they think having the same mil in the Mustang will mean more aftermarket toys for them to play w/ too..

Although I have heard other complain about the plastics in the new 'stang too. Edmunds.com cited that in their 'cons' blurb.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    weekend. ... Temp tags are good inter-state, right?
    quote]

Yep, but check this: there are no more temp tags issued in MD. Unless you want personalized plates, when you buy a car from a dealer, new or used, in MD you fill out the form and the car salesman gives you your plates.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    Something I haven't seen on the road for awhile
    yikes . . .
    and it's still drivable and in pretty good condition!

71331480-L.jpg
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Cra$h where are you?
    I'm bored. Everybody left work early. Even though I have nothing to do I'm staying because I have to wait for my dad who doesn't get out until 5:30 anyways.
    I need your thoughts on the new Stang, the Porsche I get to drive, and how it's not easy being blue to distract me!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Cra$h where are you?
    I'm bored. Everybody left work early. Even though I have nothing to do I'm staying because I have to wait for my dad who doesn't get out until 5:30 anyways.
    I need your thoughts on the new Stang, the Porsche I get to drive, and how it's not easy being blue to distract me!

I have a feeling crash's internet previldges have been revoked for awhile. Me thinks mommy was even more upset than dad about his grades. And then when she saw "that ugly blue monster" he bought well.......
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    I have a feeling crash's internet previldges have been revoked for awhile. Me thinks mommy was even more upset than dad about his grades. And then when she saw "that ugly blue monster" he bought well.......

Oh, sheesh, bad grades, that sucks. I been there: first semester freshman year. I got it bad for that, but I rebounded, I'm sure he'll do the same. He's only a 2nd year right?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2006
    Oh, sheesh, bad grades, that sucks. I been there: first semester freshman year. I got it bad for that, but I rebounded, I'm sure he'll do the same. He's only a 2nd year right?

I think he's going into his second year. So hopefully it was just the typical freshman screw up. Otherwise I have a feeling he is going to have to fear worse than not having a car.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2006
    I was just wondering myself what happened to crash and the smurfmobile... ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    I think crash is dead.

One of Florida's finest senior citizens got the urge for a sports car and eventually found a like new Datsun 280Z for sale in the local classifieds. After the purchase he cruised down the road, "This is great," he thought as he roared down I-75. Then he looked in his rear view mirror and saw a Florida State Highway Patrol Trooper behind him, lights flashing and siren blaring. "I can get away from him with no problem" thought the man as he stood on the gas pedal -- 80, 120, 130... mph. Then, he thought, "What am I doing? I'm too old for this kind of thing." He pulled over to the side of the Interstate and waited for the trooper to catch up with him. The trooper pulled in behind the Datsun and walked up to the 280Z's window. "Sir," he said, looking at his watch. "My shift ends in 30 minutes and today is Friday. If you can give me a reason why you were speeding that I've never heard before, I'll let you go." The man looked at the trooper and said: "Fifteen years ago, my wife ran off with a Florida State Trooper, and I thought you were bringing her back." To which the trooper replied "Have a good day, Sir."
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    lol3.gif

I don't think he's dead - he's probably too busy filming Fast and Furious 4: Das Upstate NY Boyz
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 1, 2006
    Dragon, you get the worlds oldest joke award.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    lol3.gif

I don't think he's dead - he's probably too busy filming Fast and Furious 4: Das Upstate NY Boyz
    more faster, more smurfier
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2006
    Anybody here ever heard of Mission Trading Company? They make aftermarket OEM style parts, and I'm looking to replace my window switches (some time over the past 20 years the little picture of a window on the switch wore out) and they make replacements that look the same to me in pictures on the net as the mercedes ones do which cost $45 more each.
    Richard
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 13, 2006
    I'm back! For now...
    Hey guys you must not know but at home I literally have 26k dialup so I only use it when necessary. I'm at a fast computer now so I'll catch up with you guys real quick.

Last weekend we had our anual Concours event. Here are some shots (non of them mine)

Concours06_047.jpg

Concours06_064.jpg

Concours06_071.jpg

Concours06_073.jpg

This one I did especially for you guys...

Concours06_135.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20038.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20040.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20083.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    BMWCCAConcours2006%20103.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20109.jpg

My favorite pic of the day
    BMWCCAConcours2006%20113.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20123.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20128.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20129.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20139.jpg

BMWCCAConcours2006%20148.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

Hmm anything else...

I went to my first SCCA autox a few weeks ago and was put in the class with 4 other street prepared Miatias, don't really know why... Anyway, I ended up coming in 2nd in that class, which wasn't bad for my first SCCA event, and going against one of the best cars for autox.

Teh Smurf is doing great, no crashes, no dents, no dings, no scratches! I've really brought it back to where it was 3 years ago (it sat for almost a year). And the girlies love it too!

Take it easy, I'll try to check in once every few days if I can get to a computer.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Cra$h lives!!! Nice to hear from you - and thank goodness you fixed up that smurf car. It's lookin' good thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Yeah those eyebrows popped right off and the stickers were already gone when I got it.

The AutoWerks stickers on there now are my sponser. They give me 10% above wholesale on they're parts and if they dont' have what I need, they will find it. For example, I need new rear tires and they're around $175 each. They can get them for me for $150 each. (BTW I'm getting Toyo Proxy FZ-4).
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    The smurf's alive :wow. Hmmmmmm........... Andy why is he doing SCCA events? What happened to "drive it to work and back and that's it".
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Yeah those eyebrows popped right off and the stickers were already gone when I got it.

The AutoWerks stickers on there now are my sponser. They give me 10% above wholesale on they're parts and if they dont' have what I need, they will find it. For example, I need new rear tires and they're around $175 each. They can get them for me for $150 each. (BTW I'm getting Toyo Proxy FZ-4).

Hmmm so your working on finding sponsors eh. Have you worked on opening a book yet this summer that wasn't a car manual or magazine?
    www.zxstudios.com
This discussion has been closed.