Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    So you R1150GS riders: the RT is basically the same bike but in street form, no? A guy in my parking garage has a GS. I oogled it last night. Suspension, engine and driveline all look pretty much the same to me.. just knobier tires and different plastics.

They can have my GS when they pry it from my cold dead hands. The appeal for me anyway on the streets with a giant chooky is that i dont have to behave as a other motorcyclist do. Dirt bike riders to me anyway are the lab puppies of the bike world. Everyone only just tolerates them licking/slobbering on you & pissing just about anywhere if they get excited...the GS is evidence that this person still exists into their 40's & 50's.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Gus - replied to your PM - but I have to throw out this disclaimer for this thread: while us young car-nuts will spew out all sorts of info and opinions (that we've only glammed from car shows and magazines, foreign ones at that), we collectively know NOTHING about small modern diesels and have no direct experience!

Richard's older-than-him MB doesn't count! (is it even a D?)

Our car market has been essentially diesel free for a long time. The Vdub you asked me about specifically is pretty much the only diesel-car that was available here in the last decade. So while it was a good car here and got great mileage compared to its petrol counterparts, it didn't have any direct competition.
    Tks mate...diesel small cars are really turning up in droves here. Even holden (australias GM) is soon to release one. I will take a drive in a VW one shortly & let you know what i think. Power in a car is not of interest to us...thats why i own 2x 1100cc bikes.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 8, 2006
    Hey guys. It's car trivia time.

What kind of small POS car was made by toyota, branded by geo/GM, and had a subaru diagnostics system circa 1995?
    Prism?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Prism?
    that's all I came up with as well.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Prism?

Ding Ding Ding. Biggest peice of crap. You wouldn't beleive GM could turn a Toyota into such a big peice of horse crap but they did it. Obviously not my car, but it's the new gf's car. If she sticks around first thing that has to be done is her getting a different car.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    Ding Ding Ding. Biggest peice of crap. You wouldn't beleive GM could turn a Toyota into such a big peice of horse crap but they did it. Obviously not my car, but it's the new gf's car. If she sticks around first thing that has to be done is her getting a different car.
    she's a lucky gal thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    she's a lucky gal thumb.gif

I don't know about that. She thinks she is at least so not gonna argue with her about it. ne_nau.gif
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    while on the topic of corrollas (or bastardized ones)...

My boss drives a corolla. It's got a manual transmission. And no tachometer.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    while on the topic of corrollas (or bastardized ones)...

mine's a 94 and has a tach. i sooo cant wait until the end of the year when i can get rid of it. i'll send you the tach thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Ding Ding Ding. Biggest peice of crap. You wouldn't beleive GM could turn a Toyota into such a big peice of horse crap but they did it.

You start with a Toyota and end up with horse crap...I'm missing where GM did any turning ne_nau.gifscratch
    umph.gif
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    I dont know what sort of toyota you guys get in the US but if you want australias most reliable car/4x4 with parts & service absolutely anywhere from sydney to beyond the black stump...then get a toyota.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    I get the feeling Richard might fall under the same category (occasionally) as Cra$h: EuroSnob.

Gus, it's the same here - although Toyota cars have all the sex appeal of a smelly old sneaker and are occasionally missing useful bits like tachometers, they are indeed still some of the most reliable cars on the road. Honda has managed to put some "pep" in their step, but Toyota has done reliability to a fault - in the US it is the car of old pensioners. *Except for light trucks - same here as well as Oz. Little 'yota's go just about forever, or until the bodies rust off the frame. Go to any mountain bike/kayak/climbing spot/young-person-sporty parking area and well over 50% of the vehicles will be toyota trucks.

Lee, I'm all over that tach when you're done with the Corolla! I'm serious, if you're gonna junk the car, it would be the hands-down funniest gift for my boss to receive the tach face cut out of another car.
    lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I get the feeling Richard might fall under the same category (occasionally) as Cra$h: EuroSnob.
    You'd have to add White trash to that to make it accurate for me. German or American cars...Italian too...I'd say that's about it for me. Seriously though the Japanese car reliability thing always gives me a chuckle. Show me a 20 year old Toyota and I'll show you a pile of junk. Hell show me a new Toyota and I'll show you a lot of cheap plastics, then take off some panels and show you some cheap high guage (numerically) wiring being held down in places by masking tape.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    You'd have to add White trash to that to make it accurate for me. German or American cars...Italian too...I'd say that's about it for me. Seriously though the Japanese car reliability thing always gives me a chuckle. Show me a 20 year old Toyota and I'll show you a pile of junk. Hell show me a new Toyota and I'll show you a lot of cheap plastics, then take off some panels and show you some cheap high guage (numerically) wiring being held down in places by masking tape.

I know lots of 20+ year old nissan's that are in excellent shape and still running on race tracks, doing cross country trips, etc every day. Some with over 200-300,000 miles on their original engines without a rebuild. Yeah many of the older japanese cars rusted out but the news ones don't have that problem as bad. And the old ones still ran fine even when the body panels where rusted off.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    I've owned three toys and every one of them well over 100,000 miles when
    sold. Easy on the wallet. Keep the oil changed and the engine tuned and she'll
    run forever. Of course there was this time I was driving down the freeway
    when white smoke blew out of the tailpipe of my '93 4Runner :D Warranty
    recall and fixed for free thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    got it? :D
    Yep..
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I had a '99 Ford Ranger XL Sport pickup that was the same way. I never needed the tach though. The power pretty well evaporates about 1200 RPM shy of redline anyway.. But then I didn't have AC in that tub either!

As for the Toyota cars vs the rest arguement.. I agree for the most part. Reliable sure, but < Homer Simpson voice > booooooring! < /voice >

Their trucks are nice, but expensive. On my last trip to the dealers I was in the market for a compact, light-duty 4x4 pickup. I shopped Toyota and Ford. Everyone told me that I was crazy for even looking at the Ford, because it was going to be a POS. I didn't listen. The 'yota was just too small in the cabin (extended cab is mandatory on those things!) and was something like $5k more expensive, even when the Ranger was better equipped. I cheaped out and bought the Ford. 8 months later I'd been to my dealer for warranty service 9 times and my co-workers were all saying "I told you so!".. I hear the newest incarnation of the 'yota Tacoma is much better on size.. but then it's even more expensive now too.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    Late 80's Toyota trucks is where it's at. I really want one of those some day before they all rust out.

Has everyone seen that Top Gear with the Toyota truck? I think I posted it in this thread a few months back.

Oh and Richard I found a MB forum for you. http://www.mbworld.org/forums/index.php I'm Antrieb and hang out in the W201 section.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Oh and Richard I found a MB forum for you. http://www.mbworld.org/forums/index.php I'm Antrieb and hang out in the W201 section.
    Heh, I've known about mbworld, but thus far I've resisted. I'm just in too many forums. It might be time to join though. I've been looking for a dead pedal for my car for a few years now...finally found one in the right color but it was carpeted and I want the non carpeted version...maybe posting on another forum will broaden the market so I can find one sooner...ok, here's hoping marlinspike isn't taken.
    BTW, a German girl has told me that Antrieb isn't to drive like as in what you do when you get in a car but rather to drive like what an engine does in a car, i.e. propel.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    BTW, a German girl has told me that Antrieb isn't to drive like as in what you do when you get in a car but rather to drive like what an engine does in a car, i.e. propel.
    Yes I've heard the same thing unfortunately. Oh well, still a cool and easy name to remember.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    I'm ballin' guys. Brent just told me the emblems have gold leaf on them rolleyes1.gif

65702284-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    I'm ballin' guys. Brent just told me the emblems have gold leaf on them rolleyes1.gif

65702284-Ti.jpg

Excellent. Sell the emblems, and then you can pay me back thumb.gifthumb.gif

PS: Nice pic - did you take it?
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    take all the sunset pics you want. those eyebrows are still disgusting.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Excellent. Sell the emblems, and then you can pay me back thumb.gifthumb.gif

PS: Nice pic - did you take it?
    No my camera is for the suck :cry. Got a spare? :D

Eyebrows coming off this weekend when I get the car clap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Don't worry the Eyebrows and the rest of the front clip will be coming off this weekend when I get the car and total it. clap.gif

Fixed that for ya smurfette.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    I got to say, I'm kinda disappointed Andy's kid isn't haulin' around truckloads of photo gear...I always imagined I'd have all the gear I wanted if my parents were pro-photography, looks like no matter what I'd still be the broke photographer who spends all his money $1000 at a time (bank must wonder what the heck is going on with my account...$1000, then like 75 cents, then 1000, then once down to 3 cents).
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    I got to say, I'm kinda disappointed Andy's kid isn't haulin' around truckloads of photo gear...I always imagined I'd have all the gear I wanted if my parents were pro-photography, looks like no matter what I'd still be the broke photographer who spends all his money $1000 at a time (bank must wonder what the heck is going on with my account...$1000, then like 75 cents, then 1000, then once down to 3 cents).
    I'm now reduced to a crappy cell phone for pictures :cry My fleabay camera broke a few days ago

68890429-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2006
    Just be like "Yo pops, quit foolin' wit yo damn self, you know you gots da monies up in da crib, bitches - no disrespect - so why i rockin da sd710IS ja know?" And he'll be like "Why don't you speak english...but you make a convincing argument, here is an sd710is, and a 1dsmk2 with a 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, and 70-200 2.8L IS"

SCHOOOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Make sure you have a bucket beside you as you open this.

PS..the bucket is for your current car keys.
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Good find Gus! I was nearly born in the original version. My uncle had one and MamaIt did a good deal of riding around in the car, as it was the easiest for her to get in/out of thanks to the fully adjustable air suspension. Very, very cool car. Perhaps the only french car I've ever liked.

50464578-M.jpg

(that's me, in mom's belly)
    Erik

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Make sure you have a bucket beside you as you open this.

PS..the bucket is for your current car keys.

oooh, I want one.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

This discussion has been closed.