Options

Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Harsh man, now I know why you go by the name Dragon...breathin' fire.

Seriously though, how in the world do you only have 26k at home? How does your dad upload all those photos? You do realize that internet service + an additional line costs more than just getting DSL, right? I'm just saying, you need faster internet like I need time off to fix my left rear window regulator.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 17, 2006
    I don't live with my dad. The only thing we can get out here is 26k. I know it sucks and I keep pestering my mother to get satellite which I think she'll do this week.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Ok Doc...i did it ! Bought a new golf 2 lt diesel turbo today. No way could you have told me it would go as good as it does before i drove it eek7.gif Gobs & gobs of torque !

Going to take a bit to get used to the 6 speed box & that indicator/cruise control stick on the left of the steering wheel though..every time i turned a corner the bloody wipers came on.

Same as this one but red.

77368701-M.jpg

77368702-M.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 24, 2006
    Cra$h wrote:
    Yeah those eyebrows popped right off and the stickers were already gone when I got it.

The AutoWerks stickers on there now are my sponser. They give me 10% above wholesale on they're parts and if they dont' have what I need, they will find it. For example, I need new rear tires and they're around $175 each. They can get them for me for $150 each. (BTW I'm getting Toyo Proxy FZ-4).

Homey, learn to spell. Or load the Google tool bar. MmmmK?

Nice to see you're back too thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 24, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ok Doc...i did it ! Bought a new golf 2 lt diesel turbo today. No way could you have told me it would go as good as it does before i drove it eek7.gif Gobs & gobs of torque !

Going to take a bit to get used to the 6 speed box & that indicator/cruise control stick on the left of the steering wheel though..every time i turned a corner the bloody wipers came on.

Same as this one but red.
    clap.gif - good choice on the color too thumb.gif

The 6-speed box is fantastic, at least in mine - I don't know if the diesel and gas engine have the same one, but if they do, you'll love it. A real improvement over the rubbery ones of the mkIV generation.

I also know what you mean about the stalks on the left side - although I think for different reasons. I think you have a problem with what side they are on, right (since you're left hand drive). For me, I'm not used to having 2 stalks on that side, so when I go to turn signal, sometimes I turn the cruise control on!

Minor issues.

I love mine, even after 1800 miles in 4 days. today was our only day off from driving, but I couldn't resist an early morning spin around town while T was still sleeping. My fast is happy.
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    =
    The 6-speed box is fantastic:D

Spose it could be like a bike laying on its side ne_nau.gif Yep the diesel & petrol models are identical gear box & body...just the donk is different. It has the same torque as my V6 2.5lt...pulls instantly of the line really hard...im totally amazed at its quick power.

Best bit ? They offered me free car wash in their detailing bay , no appointment as often as i want as long as i own it clap.gif1drink.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 25, 2006
    gus wrote:

Best bit ? They offered me free car wash in their detailing bay , no appointment as often as i want as long as i own it clap.gif1drink.gif
    Don't let Marlin hear that. He'll send you some diapers, primo wax and detaling products, and insist that you take care of it yourself!

Don't ask me how I know... (and how I subsequently lost my sunday afternoons for life).
    rolleyes1.giflol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Don't let Marlin hear that.

HAHAHA I actually had seen that earlier, was going to respond with something along the lines of "the horror, the horror," but told myself I am going to make a conscious effort not to respond.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    and insist that you take care of it yourself!

rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

If you want to wash a car here then you have to use a bucket. Now you can see why i want someone else to do it as garden hoses are 100% banned here.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    OK, all you gearheads....

Dunno if you're gonna laugh at me for not getting a real car or not, but I've got an '06 Magnetic Gray Prius on order. Package 7 if you care.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions.

The last new car I bought was 10 years ago, and I'm still driving it (233k miles on it).

What are the things that you do for a new car right off the bat? You know, detail-y stuff, protecting it and what-not.

Should I get a clear bra? I'd never in a million years get a fabric one, but the clear make some sense to me--am I stupid (I mean about this particular question, don't get started!).

What else should I do for a new car to keep it looking new?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Should I get a clear bra?

_40137323_madonna_bra_220ap.jpg

_40143447_madge_blonde1_apbody.jpg

madonnas_bra_040506_xlg.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Well, obviously Madonna should get a clear bra, there's no doubting that. But my question *is* about my car. umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Should I get a clear bra?
    Do you wear a raincoat in the shower ?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    gus wrote:
    You wear a raincoat in the shower ?

Well, no one's throwing rocks at me, either.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I bet your new car is yellow or fuschia, too?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I bet your new car is yellow or fuschia, too?

Reading is hard.

Magnetic Gray.

Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

First thing, get it washed and properly waxed. Do this once a year and
    make sure you keep it clean. That's all you need do.

Think for a moment what that clear bra will do. For one thing, dirt and
    grime will accumulate at the edges. Then try and get it off after a time.

Like Gus said, do you wear a raincoat in the shower?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    First thing, get it washed and properly waxed. Do this once a year and
    make sure you keep it clean. That's all you need do.

Think for a moment what that clear bra will do. For one thing, dirt and
    grime will accumulate at the edges. Then try and get it off after a time.

Like Gus said, do you wear a raincoat in the shower?

IOW, don't trust the dealer's detailing job...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    IOW, don't trust the dealer's detailing job...
    That whole dealer thing is a huge con..i just sell them every 2-3 years...stops me having to deal with the rust !

584526-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    gus wrote:
    That whole dealer thing is a huge con..i just sell them every 2-3 years...stops me having to deal with the rust !

I'm not talking about paying the dealer for anything, just about the detailing job they do before you pick up the vehicle.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Don't let Marlin hear that. He'll send you some diapers, primo wax and detaling products, and insist that you take care of it yourself!

Don't ask me how I know... (and how I subsequently lost my sunday afternoons for life).
    rolleyes1.giflol3.gif

I'd like to request my free detailing kit. :D

Seriously, should I ask about this secret technique?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

You can pay or do it yourself. Either way. BTW, all the dealer does is get the
    spooge off the car before you pick it up. It won't have been properly waxed.
    Just spray waxed--which is fine for a car wash but you really want a good
    coat of wax on the car before something bad happens...
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    BTW, all the dealer does is get the spooge off the car before you pick it up....

Yep...with oxalic acid & kero (all nicely disguised in bottles with fancy labels & perfumes) David..just let them do their thing & then do as i do...never clean it again. 3 days before you go to trade it in....pay someone $150 bucks to detail it. I last washed the bike in '01 or '02..honestly cant remember & i may not have washed a car in maybe 10-15 years.1drink.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Hehe, I'd go broke if I kept doing it, though I will tell you what products I recommend.

First off, don't wax the car right off the bat, give it at least 1 month of ownership first. Some will tell you factory paint jobs don't need a waiting period, I say they need a month, and so do bodyshops.

Second, one of the other forums I read once had a good post on clear bras by a guy who sells them in bulk to companies (the forum was forums.rennlist.com in the 996 section). I'll try to find it when I get a chance. I don't like them one bit, and while I don't know, I'm guessing that color of yours is like a dark gray? Wouldn't look great. Honestly, who are you saving it for?

On the car care products. Ok, well there are two brands that are my favorite (there is a 3rd but it's no longer legal to get here in the USA because of labeling requirements): P21S and One Grand. First, always use a sheepskin mitt - real sheepskin, no brushes. Shake it in the bucket of water often to make sure there is no grit. Use P21S body washing shampoo (NOT paintwork cleanser - that's a mistranslation). I also like One Grand ERV dressing for dressing the tires.
    The instructions have a split here
    If car is parked outdoors - wax every 2-3 months with One Grand Blitz Wax, every other wax job use P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser before waxing
    If car is parked indoors - wax every 3-4 months with P21S carnuba wax. Use the P21S gloss enhancing paintwork cleanser once a year before waxing.

For cleaning your wheels DO NOT use any wheel cleaner made by Megiuar's. They lost a class action lawsuit a while back, but they still sell the same formula and it still strips the paint off wheels. Use the same soap you use to wash the body of the car (only after you have already washed the car) or use P21S wheel cleaner (before washing the body of the car) if you need something more aggressive.

I buy all my stuff from www.carcareonline.com
    If you need more details you can always ask me, or ask Larry over at carcareonline.com
    Richard
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Hehe, I'd go broke if I kept doing it, ....snip.....

Richard

K, I think I got it so far. But where do the diapers come in?

How'm I doing so far? I still need a drying cloth, right? Chamois?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    And you may as well tell me about the interior, if I'm going to get into this...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Yep...with oxalic acid & kero (all nicely disguised in bottles with fancy labels & perfumes) David..just let them do their thing & then do as i do...never clean it again. 3 days before you go to trade it in....pay someone $150 bucks to detail it. I last washed the bike in '01 or '02..honestly cant remember & i may not have washed a car in maybe 10-15 years.1drink.gifthumb.gif

Well, as you can see, I keep my cars a long time. 10 years and 233k miles. Plus, I wanna look good, and pamper my new toy. Also have to keep up appearances at work, ya know.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, as you can see, I keep my cars a long time. 10 years and 233k miles. Plus, I wanna look good, and pamper my new toy. Also have to keep up appearances at work, ya know.
    Gonna be some tears driving away from the yard in the newbie & looking back at old faithfull i recon. I dont know how you can do it personally.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Gonna be some tears driving away from the yard in the newbie & looking back at old faithfull i recon. I dont know how you can do it personally.

We're trading in my wife's mini-van, and she's getting my old Camry.

No love lost here!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    gus wrote:

And to add to that, Gus....

I bought that car 10 years ago with my first wife...about a year before she ran off with her best friend's husband. Believe me, no love lost on that car...

I just hope the pattern doesn't repeat as I buy this new car with my 2nd (last!!!) wife!

:uhoh
    Moderator Emeritus
This discussion has been closed.