Options

Why Macs suck

Comments

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Showing my ignorance again, but, what does adding an intel chip to an Apple/Mac mean. Will that make the machine more windows platform friendly?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    at least we can all agree that iTunes sucks.

:poke

:nono While I was away at PMA, Andy-wife sat at my Mac, never having used iTunes EVER and put 350 CDs into my iTunes collection, set up my son Trevor's iPod with his own music, and set hers up, too.

iTunes is great software.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    350 CDs

And we though you had a lot of camera gear!
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Showing my ignorance again, but, what does adding an intel chip to an Apple/Mac mean. Will that make the machine more windows platform friendly?

It means that Apple has access to some high speed chips that they were not able to use before, meaning that there will no longer be any speed gap. As for more Windows friendly, don't hold your breath, and I hope not.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono While I was away at PMA, Andy-wife sat at my Mac, never having used iTunes EVER and put 350 CDs into my iTunes collection, set up my son Trevor's iPod with his own music, and set hers up, too.

iTunes is great software.

I don't see the used CD's thread in flea market yet, what gives? :D

James.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    As for more Windows friendly, don't hold your breath, and I hope not.
    Why does everyone keep asking this? Why, god, why would you buy an Apple and run Windows on it? rolleyes1.gif

James has it right, they have access to a faster chip, finally, and will continue to do things the Mac way, just with different hardware. Or at least I hope so.

And by the way, sweat off a dead goat's back tastes better than Corona.
    :puke1
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    So if i buy a macputer will my daughters MSN viruses stop ?
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    MS Windows as it is known is dead, Mac/Linux is the future, but it will be awhile.

James.

A long while. I do not see many of the corportations that now use windows, let alone most of the home users, even seriously consider revamping their entire networks to run on a mac or linux system for many years to come. Many years. Linux would have to be as idiot friendly as windows is and it is no where near there yet.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Hmmm rather than having to buy a whole new computer you could just make her stop going to websites she shouldn't be going to and opening emails that are useless anyways. Better yet cut her off from using the computer for 2 months then only let her use it while you supervise for a month. Then if she starts getting into it again she can pay for her own computer, and pay to fix the things she messes up. Most of my clients do this and once the kids realize what it costs time and money wise to fix their screw ups the problems stop.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Why does everyone keep asking this? Why, god, why would you buy an Apple and run Windows on it? rolleyes1.gif

Un-ruffle your panties. I said I was an idiot about this stuff. Not trying to encroach on "The Mac Way". Just thought they might be working on a way to run Windows based software on the Mac platform.

DoctorIt wrote:
    And by the way, sweat off a dead goat's back tastes better than Corona.
    :puke1

You've got some fine goats. Hummm, do dead goats sweat?
    Greg
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Un-ruffle your panties. I said I was an idiot about this stuff. Not trying to encroach on "The Mac Way". Just thought they might be working on a way to run Windows based software on the Mac platform.
    Why someone hasn't said this yet is beyond me (maybe they just haven't been clued in yet) But of course you can run windows software on a mac. you can even run windows on a mac if you want. Not all applications where compatible before because of the processors. However now the new Mac's based on a x86 (intel) platform will run any windows software (in theory I have yet to test it). You just have to know how to set it up right. I've been running windows on macs since '98 myself.

Pst, Guess what. You can even run Mac os's on a PC including OS X.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

I just don't have that many problems (after getting away from McAf).

I'm not network savy and have a household running 4 boxes wirelessly (w/ wireless printer) each on the net and all on Windows.

Guess I better Knock-on-Wood!
    Greg
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    I've been running windows on macs since '98 myself.

You better sleep with one eye open - The Apple OverLord will be comming after you for sure - maybe even the Oz monkey's.
    Greg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Yes. Not that you shouldn't still be careful. But they will stop.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

it is not an apple, it is a mac.

that is all.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    You better sleep with one eye open - The Apple OverLord will be comming after you for sure - maybe even the Oz monkey's.

Let him come. I always sleep with multiple methods of deffence within very short reach.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes. Not that you shouldn't still be careful. But they will stop.

Come on "Drink the Juice" they will stop.......................

Greg
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    it is not an apple, it is a mac.

that is all.

You remind me of my son. We call him pedantic. My daughter defines pedantic as "annoyingly literal." That definition really works for describing him.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

just make sure she removes any..um..potentially incriminating images before you take it to get it fixed.

true story, our client, army civilian GS15, real hardass, brought her daughters computer in to get it fixed up...daughter failed to remove pictures of her and her girlfriend.

whoopsie.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    just make sure she removes any..um..potentially incriminating images before you take it to get it fixed.

true story, our client, army civilian GS15, real hardass, brought her daughters computer in to get it fixed up...daughter failed to remove pictures of her and her girlfriend.

whoopsie.

Been there, seen that, and more on client computers before. The worst is when it's your bosses computer and the pictures are of his daughter.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    These PC vs Mac arguments always make me laugh because usually the people saying that Macs suck have never even used one for an extended period of time. Just because you have the lousy PC version of iTunes doesnt mean you know Macs, sorry people. There is a reason why those who switch to Mac never go back to a PC, unless they have to for work or something.

Now, does that mean Macs do everything better than a PC? Of course not. But, if you have used both platforms then you cant deny that Macs look better, are waaay more secure, have more upscale software available, have a way better OS that never crashes, and is overall more intuitive/user friendly.

Someone wanna prove me wrong??
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    These PC vs Mac arguments always make me laugh because usually the people saying that Macs suck have never even used one for an extended period of time. Just because you have the lousy PC version of iTunes doesnt mean you know Macs, sorry people. There is a reason why those who switch to Mac never go back to a PC, unless they have to for work or something.

Now, does that mean Macs do everything better than a PC? Of course not. But, if you have used both platforms then you cant deny that Macs look better, are waaay more secure, have more upscale software available, have a way better OS that never crashes, and is overall more intuitive/user friendly.

Someone wanna prove me wrong??

Then why are Windows PCs used by soooo many more people than Macs'?
    Microsoft must be doing something better than Apple.:D

Macs don't suck.
    PCs (windows) don't suck (i have not had a problem in years: but i do keep my pc clean with virus checkers, etc).
    Linux does not suck (although a little too complex to maintain for your average user).
    All of them have their issues.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    As for more Windows friendly, don't hold your breath, and I hope not.

Didn't you hear? Apple plans to switch to Windows on the Mac

:poke
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Then why are Windows PCs used by soooo many more people than Macs'?
    Microsoft must be doing something better than Apple.:D

Price and marketing is the only reason.

James.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I don't see the used CD's thread in flea market yet, what gives? :D

copyright.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    kdog wrote:

rolleyes1.gifI dunno who wrote that but he signed his own dumbass award in the first couple of sentences.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    copyright.

Work with me here, that was attempt at a jab related to his glass resale habits.

James.
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Price and marketing is the only reason.

James.
    Yes and no.
    Price and marketing are 2 big reasons.
    But i'm using Windows happily and so many other people.
    I think that Windows is certainly not the best, but is good enough... for a good price (hardware and software combined) and the enormous availability of applications. That's what people like.

My PC and applications on it are just tools. I can do want i want to do with it. That's good enough. I think the biggest differences between Macs and Windows PCs are related to style.

But then again, i'm never 'religious' about anything. Like Canon versus Nikon, Apple versus Microsoft, Java versus C++, etc, etc, etc. I don't really care. If I like it, i try it and may buy it.:D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Yes and no.
    Price and marketing are 2 big reasons.
    But i'm using Windows happily and so many other people.
    I think that Windows is certainly not the best, but is good enough... for a good price (hardware and software combined) and the enormous availability of applications. That's what people like.

My PC and applications on it are just tools. I can do want i want to do with it. That's good enough. I think the biggest differences between Macs and Windows PCs are related to style.

But then again, i'm never 'religious' about anything. Like Canon versus Nikon, Apple versus Microsoft, Java versus C++, etc, etc, etc. I don't care. If I like it, i try it and may buy it.:D

I am not relegious about it ethere, I have both cannon and nikon, I work on PC's and Mac's and have Mac's for myself. All you just said was Price and Marketing, Price you agree on, the reason there is more software out there for the PC is only because of MS marketing.

James.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    I think the biggest differences between Macs and Windows PCs are related to style.

Some Apple style is just that, style. Most of it, however, has a direct impact on usability. It's easier on the eye, easier to follow and more efficient in use.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about.
    Moderator Emeritus