Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    Stats
    Hopefully I'm not making a duplicate request but I'd LOVE to be able to dump my stats into a CSV or TXT format. The screen is cool but I cannot send it to my partners (friends/photographers) because they don't have my login. I vote for an export function! :):
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    Hopefully I'm not making a duplicate request but I'd LOVE to be able to dump my stats into a CSV or TXT format. The screen is cool but I cannot send it to my partners (friends/photographers) because they don't have my login. I vote for an export function! :):
    I believe StarExplorer www.starexplorer.com has such capabilities, check it out :D
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2006
    jpbeal wrote:
    1. I'd like to be able to view community photos by timeline, like you can in the member galleries.

similar to
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    I'd like to be able to get to
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    this would be particularly useful w/ #2 (below). getting at today's (and only today's) community photos would be much easier.

2. I'd like to see relative dates in the timeline, not just absolute. so, for instance,
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/today-7
    might show the previous week's photos (today and 7 days prior). having variables (like 'lastmonth' or 'currentmonth' or 'today') would help.

this way, I can add a hard coded link whose result is dynamic.

That idea would greatly assist me in finding phots I have replied to, and look for again to see if there is any reply, or any other comments......

Its that old age creeping in :Dthumb.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Any updates on the status of feature requests?
    Sorry to ask, but I've been hearing rumbling from customers about the size and place (and opacity) of the PROOF watermark. Any update on status for customization of this feature?ne_nau.gif
    Thanks for a great service and great customer service.....
  • Options
    asinghzasinghz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 23, 2006
    My requests
    I would like to have the ability to show price of pictures right next to the picture ........right now someone needs to add picture to the cart to see the price.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    Sorry to ask, but I've been hearing rumbling from customers about the size and place (and opacity) of the PROOF watermark. Any update on status for customization of this feature?ne_nau.gif
    Thanks for a great service and great customer service.....
    Hi Anthony, I moved your post here, from the customization forum.

We don't comment on what's coming, but you can be certain that everyone in the company sees all of the feature requests!

Thanks for the very kind words :D
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    asinghz wrote:
    I would like to have the ability to show price of pictures right next to the picture ........right now someone needs to add picture to the cart to see the price.
    Hi asinghz, thanks for the feature request - we'll certainly consider it!

In the meantime, you can do what many pros do, and make a custom price list, and put it on your site. See my pro tips thread, sticky in the MYOB forum, and also my site, as well as the "list of very well done sites" in the Customization Forum (also a sticky). In particular, visit brandolino imaging.. and then, when you want help to make it happen, make a post and we'll get you going thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    jpbeal wrote:
    1. I'd like to be able to view community photos by timeline, like you can in the member galleries.

similar to
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    I'd like to be able to get to
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    this would be particularly useful w/ #2 (below). getting at today's (and only today's) community photos would be much easier.

2. I'd like to see relative dates in the timeline, not just absolute. so, for instance,
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/today-7
    might show the previous week's photos (today and 7 days prior). having variables (like 'lastmonth' or 'currentmonth' or 'today') would help.

this way, I can add a hard coded link whose result is dynamic.
    Yeah, this would be great for our not so little anymore DailyPhotos community! clap.gif
    Thanks Brig for bringing it up again and JP for the great idea, I missed it the first time.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jeffajeffa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    gallery specific page title
    Hi,

Is it possible to have a gallery specific page title, similar to the site wide page title that can be set in the cobranding custs.

I know this can be changed on the fly with JS, but I was hoping for something that can be set as the page is served so that google indexes it.
  • Options
    jeffajeffa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2006
    Google Ecommerce tracing extensions
    Hi,

Would it be possible to support this e-commerce tracking stuff from Google Analytics?

http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27203&query=commerce&topic=0&type=f

Basically it is an extension for Analytics to be able to track product sales and sales values.

I suppose users would have to register their Google [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]_uacct number in their smugmug account to enable this. In my simpleton mind it seems pretty straightforward ;)

[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2006
    jeffa wrote:
    Hi,

Would it be possible to support this e-commerce tracking stuff from Google Analytics?

http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=27203&query=commerce&topic=0&type=f

Basically it is an extension for Analytics to be able to track product sales and sales values.

I suppose users would have to register their Google [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]_uacct number in their smugmug account to enable this. In my simpleton mind it seems pretty straightforward ;)

[/FONT]

Thanks for the feature request.

You might look into what fellow UK Smugger Luke Church has made, too:
    http://www.smugtools.com/SmugSales/Index.htm

wave.gif
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2006
    Seeing that the puresmugmugblack.css is quite deal smaller than the previous smugmugblack.css I wonder when it becomes fully integrated and when a puresmugmugwhite.css will show up.
    My request: For people using white BG make an independent puresmugmugwhite. Don't make it rely on the puresmugmugblack which only adds unnecessary rules for the browser to progress and a lot more KB for the visitor to download.

I know that it's harder to keep track of changes in two independent style files, but I think it's worth the effort in making our pages more compact. Also there are files comparison tools to make it easy to find differences in files and you don't change the basic styles on a daily basis or do you?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2006
    Expiring Albums
    Here I am again. I would LOVE to have the ability to set an expiration date for an album. Upon that date the album would switch to private with a password. Now wouldn't that be cool?

Some albums I only want to be valid for 3 months (to the client).

thumb.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 26, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    Here I am again. I would LOVE to have the ability to set an expiration date for an album. Upon that date the album would switch to private with a password. Now wouldn't that be cool?

Some albums I only want to be valid for 3 months (to the client).

thumb.gif
    i like the idea...but a more flexible way would be to have guest accounts that expire after a specified time.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    Didn't you used to have a account type comparison page or am I just unable to find it? The only thing I found was this page. But that doesn't do it for me in terms of evaluating which account I possibly want to go for. umph.gif
    Every lousy company has a simple table listing each tiny little feature of the various account levels either with a yes or no and with clear number statments on traffic quotas (make it "12GB/month" instead of "Get a huge traffic quota" for power, same for standard)...we need it in smugmug too!

That's what I'm looking for - make it an additional link on smugmug: "complete feature comparision" or somethink like that with such an easily readable comparison table.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2006
    It would be really useful in being able to set a certain time period for the upload log - like one can do for the timeline-feature. My cache gets cleared at any restart and it really draggs at my browser having to load the current 800kb html file and the 800 thumbs! It get's a bigger load every day. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ericserics Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2006
    Feature Request - Journal View
    I am a casual user and use SmugMug just to share a few photos with my friends.

1. I would like to be able to set the default view for a gallery so that the first time a person views the gallery it shows up in that view. I spend time adding my oh so hilarious captions to the photos and I want to set the default view to Journal so that the pictures are displayed with all the captions showing. Now in every email I send out, I have to include instructions to set the style to Journal.

2. In journal view, under every picture, I would like an 'Add comment to this picture' link - it can be in tiny, tiny letters, but it would encourage the interactivity with the viewers - right now there is no way to add comments to the journal view.

3. Finally, under the caption in each picture, I would like whatever comments have been entered to display in the available space, with a link to see any additional comments (if doable, a scroll bar so the comments could be scrolled in the window).

Maybe make a new Style called 'Interactive'? It would be fine with me if it took a little longer to load than journal - this is the blog type of experience I want my friends to have when they look at my pictures.

I am attaching my super-skilled photoshop mock-up of the soon-to-be-released interactive view :)

Thanks,

Eric

p.s. I mentioned some of this in a long ago post - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=84281#post84281 - something else from that post - an option to view only pictures in the current gallery that have comments from viewers - this would make it quick and easy to see just the pictures that have been commented, on a gallery by gallery basis, instead of viewing all the comments at once.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    erics wrote:
    1. I would like to be able to set the default view for a gallery so that the first time a person views the gallery it shows up in that view. [...]

2. In journal view, under every picture, I would like an 'Add comment to this picture' link - it can be in tiny, tiny letters, but it would encourage the interactivity with the viewers - right now there is no way to add comments to the journal view.

3. Finally, under the caption in each picture, I would like whatever comments have been entered to display in the available space, with a link to see any additional comments (if doable, a scroll bar so the comments could be scrolled in the window).

Maybe make a new Style called 'Interactive'? It would be fine with me if it took a little longer to load than journal - this is the blog type of experience I want my friends to have when they look at my pictures.
    1. You can already force a gallery style, but you've to be a power user to do this. And you can indeed set an initial gallery style with a special link (works also for standard users). The link gets a bit longer, but when sent via mail it should be no problem. Have a look here! mwink.gif

2.+3.+Interactive Style=Yay!! Give me that! clap.gif
    I like your little PS mockup. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    erics wrote:
    Now in every email I send out, I have to include instructions to set the style to Journal.

With a teensy bit of effort you can send links out that will be forced to journal style, no matter what their cookie.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=117058&postcount=3
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    Cool...thanks for the info - I will implement this trick in my future emails...
    1. You can already force a gallery style, but you've to be a power user to do this. And you can indeed set an initial gallery style with a special link (works also for standard users). The link gets a bit longer, but when sent via mail it should be no problem. Have a look here! mwink.gif

2.+3.+Interactive Style=Yay!! Give me that! clap.gif
    I like your little PS mockup. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    That solves one of my problems...what do you think the odds of implementing an 'Interactive' view are?

Andy wrote:
    With a teensy bit of effort you can send links out that will be forced to journal style, no matter what their cookie.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=117058&postcount=3
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2006
    erics wrote:
    That solves one of my problems...what do you think the odds of implementing an 'Interactive' view are?
    We look at all feature requests - and we thank you for them :D
    Can't speculate, though.
  • Options
    msim2020msim2020 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2006
    being able to comment in slideshow view
    i just realized that there is no easy way for people to comment in the slideshow view. i am certain that for a large majority of customers the idea behind subscribing is sharing pictures in full glory with friends and family. if you could make commenting more front and center when viewing photos, that would help greatly! also, more specifically, there is no way to enter a comment while viewing photos in the slideshow view (which view by the way is a solid feature).
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2006
    Copy and move in Smugmug
    This has probably already been requested but...
    Instead of making copies of a photo in smugmug then moving the copies to a new gallery, any chance of adding that as a drop down action 'copy and move' so as to incorporate the two steps in one hit.

Cheers,
    G
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2006
    mushy wrote:
    This has probably already been requested but...
    Instead of making copies of a photo in smugmug then moving the copies to a new gallery, any chance of adding that as a drop down action 'copy and move' so as to incorporate the two steps in one hit.

Cheers,
    G
    Thanks, we'll look into it!
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    Feature Request for Pro Users...
    I believe some of what follows has been mentioned earlier in the thread but I'd like to ask again (humbly...) for:

A 'master' Category\Sub-Category page that would allow you to set gallery settings for multiple galleries at the same time. Every setting on the 'Customize Gallery' page AND gallery pricing for an *entire* cat or sub-cat from one page. It would be nice to be able to set the number of galleries in the cat\sub-cat as well (a number could be assigned to the galleries as place holders with an 'edit' feature to change the title as photos are added).

The ability to set gallery settings by the provided template is nice, but it still requires you to do this for every gallery. Setting pricing is the same way-you have to open every gallery, select 'custom pro pricing' and enter it. It would be *very* helpful to be able to do this at the category and sub-category level.

I say this after going through 21 galleries in a sub-cat and doing it one gallery at a time! :uhoh Oh, how wonderful it would be if....

1. New Category "South Jersey Select LAX"
    2. Sub-Category "LAX by the Sea Tournament 2006"
    3. Number of galleries? 21
    4. Choose gallery template? "LAX-Private"
    5. Choose sub-cat pricing? "LAX $"
    6. Upload Pics
    7. Name galleries
    8. Choose gallery template? "LAX-Public"
    9. Any galleries added to this sub-cat would automatically have the 'templates' applied.

Done thumb.gif

Honestly, I don't have any idea of how difficult something like this would be to pull off, but I'm hopeful that if it can be done you guys would the guys to get it done!

Thanks in advance for considering this.

Oh yea, can we please get *all* of the default category and sub-category names taken out of the Pro menus? I have enough of my own, let alone having to scroll past the 175 that are there automatically (ok, so I exagerated-a *little*). But, honestly, 'cats', 'dogs', 'pets', 'spirituality', etc. etc. etc.? They're driving me nuts!!!!!!!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    More category levels. I have read all over in this forum about the pros and cons and I dont think the argument of "it will be confusing for the customer" flies.

If you dont want the extra levels, dont use them. Simple as that.

My home page has motocross, snowboarding, bmx, ect...

Under the motocross is racing, pros, practice, misc

Under racing I have Track Name->Date

Under there I have all the races. I would like to have one more level so that I could put Race 1, Race 2 etc. In a motocross raec there may be 25 motos in a day. I dont want my users to have to go through up to 1000 pics, when they know they were in race 3.

As a workaround I am going to build my gallery like this
    E Street 07/01/06 Moto 1
    E Street 07/01/06 Moto 2
    E Street 07/01/06 Moto 3
    E Street 07/01/06 Moto 4

But the category is going to get huge and unwieldy. One more level would fix this.

Like I said, I dont think it would make things more complicated for the user, because the site owner can choose to use it or not. If the people who are using the site complain, simply add an FAQ that explains that some site owners choose to have multiple levels.

Even better implement this ONLY for Pro users.

my 2cents

Thanks
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2006
    jwashburn wrote:
    More category levels. I have read all over in this forum about the pros and cons and I dont think the argument of "it will be confusing for the customer" flies.

Thanks Joey, for the request, but I'm sorry to say that this one's not on our near term radar. We'll always consider it but right now, we're going with making it easier, not harder, to navigate. I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do.
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Joey, for the request, but I'm sorry to say that this one's not on our near term radar. We'll always consider it but right now, we're going with making it easier, not harder, to navigate. I wish I had a better answer for you, I really do.

Thats my point, would it be harder to navigate? If its turned on for the pro accounts only, then it would be up to the pro user to use it or not. Then we could add our own navigation to help fix the problem.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2006
    jwashburn wrote:
    Thats my point, would it be harder to navigate? If its turned on for the pro accounts only, then it would be up to the pro user to use it or not. Then we could add our own navigation to help fix the problem.
    Well, thanks again for posting. The team will certainly read this.
This discussion has been closed.