SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    i have external linking turned off, what they did was disable java and then right clicked away
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    External linking, not image protection
    C_lawgik wrote:
    i have external linking turned off, what they did was disable java and then right clicked away

I think you may be mixing up two different kinds of protection. Image protection tries to prevent right clicking. External linking prevents non Smugmug web-sites from linking directly to your images like these myspace pages have done. Are you sure that "external linking" is disabled in the Customize Gallery page?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    C_lawgikC_lawgik Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I think you may be mixing up two different kinds of protection. Image protection tries to prevent right clicking. External linking prevents non Smugmug web-sites from linking directly to your images like these myspace pages have done. Are you sure that "external linking" is disabled in the Customize Gallery page?

yes I have it turned off
    http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.SendToSmugMug
    Really good upload program for smugmug^^^

• Options
    IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Subgalleries
    I want to second C_lawgik's call for subgalleries. I find them much easier to use than sub-categories. Maybe they work for some people, but I find them hard. I'm not asking for the removal of sub-categories, since they might work for some people, but for the addition on sub-galleries. That way, I could make one giant gallery, titled "Spain." Then inside, I can have separate galleries for separate cities. Right now, I have to make "Spain" a subcategory, which just makes it odd.

Just my thoughts.

Irene
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2006
    C_lawgik wrote:
    yes I have it turned off

I see. The images have been copied and re-uploaded somewhere else. They aren't being served by Smugmug. I thought they were being linked to.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Negroni PhotographyNegroni Photography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2006
    Suggestion
    Hi Don and everybody @ Smugmug!

I have a suggestion for Pro Accounts. I was thinking if the pro accounts would have the option to set bandwidth in each gallery per month. In my case I don't want my client use for example 200Mb without buying. The majority of my galleries are weddings and I don't keep them online for too long unless the buy and that way I believe we get the benefit.

Thanks for your time

Negroni Photography
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Hi Don and everybody @ Smugmug!

I have a suggestion for Pro Accounts. I was thinking if the pro accounts would have the option to set bandwidth in each gallery per month. In my case I don't want my client use for example 200Mb without buying. The majority of my galleries are weddings and I don't keep them online for too long unless the buy and that way I believe we get the benefit.

Thanks for your time

Negroni Photography

Bandwidth shouldn't be a problem for pros. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 12, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    i think the idea is to give the customer incentive to buy rather than worrying about hitting a bandwidth limit.

either way, i'm moving this to the feature request thread.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I dont think he's concerned about not have enough bandwidth. He wants to be able to set an individual galleries bandwidth to a certain amount, so his client can only look at the gallery online soo many times until they have to purchase.

I like the idea, but what happens when the client eats up all the bandwidth? How will they order prints if they cant see the gallery?? Perhaps it could only show thumbnails after that & not allow any clicking for larger sizes??
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Graphic indicators for external links
    It would be helpful to me know know at a glance which galleries are set for external linking.

Would it be possible to show an icon adjacent to my gallery to indicate which galleries are set to allow external links? Much the same way the lock is there for protected and the words "private gallery" for the private galleries.

Perhaps a chain-link (for external images allowed) and a link with a red X through it when external linking is turned off.
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    jpbealjpbeal Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2006
    timeline enhancements
    1. I'd like to be able to view community photos by timeline, like you can in the member galleries.

similar to
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    I'd like to be able to get to
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos/date/2006-06-13/2006-06-14
    this would be particularly useful w/ #2 (below). getting at today's (and only today's) community photos would be much easier.

2. I'd like to see relative dates in the timeline, not just absolute. so, for instance,
    http://carpelumen.smugmug.com/date/today-7
    might show the previous week's photos (today and 7 days prior). having variables (like 'lastmonth' or 'currentmonth' or 'today') would help.

this way, I can add a hard coded link whose result is dynamic.
  • Options
    jpbealjpbeal Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2006
    comment preview
    how about a preview for photo comments? this would be particularly useful when including links to make sure that they are properly entered, especially since ownership of the comment transfers to the gallery owner.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    It would be helpful to me know know at a glance which galleries are set for external linking.

Would it be possible to show an icon adjacent to my gallery to indicate which galleries are set to allow external links? Much the same way the lock is there for protected and the words "private gallery" for the private galleries.

Perhaps a chain-link (for external images allowed) and a link with a red X through it when external linking is turned off.
    Thanks for the feature request.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2006
    jpbeal wrote:
    how about a preview for photo comments? this would be particularly useful when including links to make sure that they are properly entered, especially since ownership of the comment transfers to the gallery owner.
    Thanks, we'll see about this and the /date!
  • Options
    wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Lightbox prefetch
    I've become quite fond of the lightbox for perusing galleries. I get a nice large picture, minimal screen clutter, and control over how long to look at a given photo. The only way I can see this getting better is speedier response to switching photos.

I know SmugMug has done some experimentation with prefetching images in the past, and I'm not sure what the final results were. However, it seems to me that prefetching adjacent images to the one being displayed in the lightbox would be a wonderful usability improvement.

My $0.02...
    -Greg
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    I would like to be able to construct and order a 12 month calender using my images.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I would like to be able to construct and order a 12 month calender using my images.
    Good idea! I want this too. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    One thing I find odd about buying prints at Smugmug is that you have to add something to the cart before you can see what the print prices are. I find that odd and very inconsistent with most internet shopping. It's kind of analagous to a store that has no prices posted on any items and the only way you can find out a price is to put the item in your cart and take it over to the cashier and ask the price. To do that requires that you've pretty much decided you want the item almost regardless of the price. It discourages the thought process of "I'll buy that if the price is right" because it's not easy to get the info to make that decision before feeling like you had to do some work.

What I'd like to see is some sort of button or link that pops up a window (or expands a section of the page if there's a desire to avoid pop-up windows) with the current print pricing on it so you can easily and clearly see what the print prices for the different sizes are before you add something to your cart.

That is something I have asked for for YEARS, only you wrote it better.

It seems to be the way it is, so I have given up, just figure that this is the way the folks here want it.

In addition to other people being confused, when I set prices, I have to put something in my cart, after I log out, to see what the prices are and if they are reset. Now that is crazy, IMO. (Of course I take it back out of my cart immediately.) A lot of extra "walking around" work, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    A lot of extra "walking around" work, IMO.

ginger
    Ginger dear - have two browsrs going - we LOVE firefox for this - be logged in on your main browser, logged out on the second one. You'll always know how the world sees your site and the prices deal.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    intended as constructive feedback, hope it's taken that way rather than complaining:
    Andy wrote:
    Ginger dear - have two browsrs going ...

[EDIT]this really doesn't apply as much to Ginger's request and your reply to it as it does in other cases, this is just when I happened to think about it.[/EDIT]

unfortionately, "here's a workaround because this won't get changed" isn't terribly satisfying. You may not mean it this way, Andy - I hope you don't - but it gives the impression that your customers' suggesion isn't being taken seriously.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Ginger, I think you might want it the way it is. It allows YOU to
    purchase your photos at the default cost while logged in. Log out
    and you'll see what everyone else's cost is.
    Make sense?
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    intended as constructive feedback, hope it's taken that way rather than complaining:

[EDIT]this really doesn't apply as much to Ginger's request and your reply to it as it does in other cases, this is just when I happened to think about it.[/EDIT]

unfortionately, "here's a workaround because this won't get changed" isn't terribly satisfying. You may not mean it this way, Andy - I hope you don't - but it gives the impression that your customers' suggesion isn't being taken seriously.

Hmmm sounded like that to me tooo (sorry)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Printing Feature!
    correct me if i am wrong, but if i disable printing from my galleries so people can't just order one of my pics (i am a standard user), then i can't order a print - and i have to go into my gallery customization, allow printing, then order my print, then change it back.

can there be an option for printing, 'account holder only' - flickr has it.

thanks.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2006
    StevenV wrote:

Really - you got that impression? Well, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything. I was just trying to help Ginger thumb.gif

We read and listen to all customer request here.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2006
    athos wrote:
    correct me if i am wrong, but if i disable printing from my galleries so people can't just order one of my pics (i am a standard user), then i can't order a print - and i have to go into my gallery customization, allow printing, then order my print, then change it back.

can there be an option for printing, 'account holder only' - flickr has it.

thanks.
    Thanks Athos - appreciate the feature request!
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Athos - appreciate the feature request!
    A related feature request. If I disallow originals, even I cant see the originals. I have to change gallery customization. So if we can have originals, owner only kinda thingy
    thanks
    Tanveer
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    A related feature request. If I disallow originals, even I cant see the originals. I have to change gallery customization. So if we can have originals, owner only kinda thingy
    thanks
    Tanveer

signed :)

i know just like i want to be able to print my pics that i display, but dont want anybody to be able to - i would lke to have quick access to my originals wherever i am, without everybody else doing so - without having to make customization changes.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    Access to originals for owners
    tsk1979 wrote:
    thanks
    Tanveer

I'd like to 2nd this request. It seems like a logged in owner should be allowed access to originals without having to temporarily grant access to everyone.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    BeltzClanBeltzClan Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Gift certificate
    It would be way cool to be able to provide either a "code" in an email that would allow my customers a credit toward a purchase. The amount would come out of the Smugger's "bank".

-OR-

Actual gift certificates that I could load with money that my client can use to purchase prints and gift items.

For example: I offer with my wedding package, a $200 credit toward the prints of their choosing. They pay the deposit for my wedding package, then the balance when I shoot the wedding. I edit the pictures, load them to a gallery, load up a gift card with $200, and give it to my customer. They pay my regular pricing, and I get a large chunk of that back.

I have toyed with the idea of giving them a visa gift card, but then I run the risk of them spending it at WalMart. A SmugMug Gift card would rock!

Any plans for something like this? I only ask because your competition is Pictage, that does this and a lot more like books and custom thank you cards. Not a threat to go there - just sayint that it can be done...

THANKS!
This discussion has been closed.