Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    BeltzClan wrote:
    It would be way cool to be able to provide either a "code" in an email that would allow my customers a credit toward a purchase. The amount would come out of the Smugger's "bank".

-OR-

Actual gift certificates that I could load with money that my client can use to purchase prints and gift items.

For example: I offer with my wedding package, a $200 credit toward the prints of their choosing. They pay the deposit for my wedding package, then the balance when I shoot the wedding. I edit the pictures, load them to a gallery, load up a gift card with $200, and give it to my customer. They pay my regular pricing, and I get a large chunk of that back.

I have toyed with the idea of giving them a visa gift card, but then I run the risk of them spending it at WalMart. A SmugMug Gift card would rock!

Any plans for something like this? I only ask because your competition is Pictage, that does this and a lot more like books and custom thank you cards. Not a threat to go there - just sayint that it can be done...

THANKS!

Thanks for the feature request, we appreciate it!
  • Options
    suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Need a "Edit Geography (Bulk)" feature
    I have uploaded over a 100 images to http://photos.suchit.in/gallery/1533014
    All the images were shot in a Hotel and so the Lat/Lon data of the location is the same. How do I select the folder or select all the images and mark the same Lat/Lon data for them to show up in my Maps?

There is an Edit Captions (Bulk) so can we have an "Edit Geography (Bulk)" feature?

That way one doesn't have to go an add the Lat/Lon to each image manually.

~ Suchit
    ~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    suchit wrote:
    I have uploaded over a 100 images to http://photos.suchit.in/gallery/1533014
    All the images were shot in a Hotel and so the Lat/Lon data of the location is the same. How do I select the folder or select all the images and mark the same Lat/Lon data for them to show up in my Maps?

There is an Edit Captions (Bulk) so can we have an "Edit Geography (Bulk)" feature?

That way one doesn't have to go an add the Lat/Lon to each image manually.

~ Suchit
    wave.gif hi - for now you have to do that on your computer.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/baldy/2005/08/16/tagging-photos-with-a-gps/
  • Options
    A. KausA. Kaus Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    Popular photos
    Hi! I'm a noob, and I love smugmug so far, all the statistics-feature hoopla aside. I truly like the popular photos gallery option, but would it be possible to order the photos there (or remove them) the same way one would for a regular gallery? Or even have the filmstrip option (or maybe you already do and I just don't know it yet)?

I ask because, although I love it when somebody gives one of my photos a thumbs up, sometimes it is not the one I would prefer as the top twelve displayed on my home page. I shoot a lot of local stuff not for art but for documentation; that is, so the car guys can say, "See, my car does that!" The photos they select are meaningful to them and their buddies, but maybe not so representative of the site or gallery. I'd just like a little control over what is displayed, if possible, more than just the "hide" or "show" option.

All suggestions aside, smugmug rocks!

-Andrea
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 15, 2006
    A. Kaus wrote:
    Hi! I'm a noob, and I love smugmug so far, all the statistics-feature hoopla aside. I truly like the popular photos gallery option, but would it be possible to order the photos there (or remove them) the same way one would for a regular gallery? Or even have the filmstrip option (or maybe you already do and I just don't know it yet)?

I ask because, although I love it when somebody gives one of my photos a thumbs up, sometimes it is not the one I would prefer as the top twelve displayed on my home page. I shoot a lot of local stuff not for art but for documentation; that is, so the car guys can say, "See, my car does that!" The photos they select are meaningful to them and their buddies, but maybe not so representative of the site or gallery. I'd just like a little control over what is displayed, if possible, more than just the "hide" or "show" option.

-Andrea

Unfortunately, that would kill the purpose of popular photos. However, I can see how a box on the homepage displaying "Choice" or "Example" photos controlled by the owner would be nice. I'll pass it along.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    You can turn off photorank on some galleries too
    A. Kaus wrote:

-Andrea

You can also turn off photorank in certain galleries (via Customize Gallery) if those are the kinds of galleries that you will never want photos to appear in your "popular" list from.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    At present you can only add galleries to share-groups. Wouldn't it be
    great if we could add categories to share-groups then make all the
    galleries private so those categories don't show on the home page.
    It would open up a whole new realm for the family/personal side of the
    site that wouldn't be exposed except for a direct link to the share-group.

Just a little food for throught,
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif hi - for now you have to do that on your computer.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/baldy/2005/08/16/tagging-photos-with-a-gps/

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Andy I know that but won't it be very useful to have a BULK-FEATURE added on the system for images already there? :bash

The solution you suggested has to be done to the images "before" uploading - considering a lot of images are already uploaded to the system over years by users (before GPS facility was added to SmugMug) one can't re-upload them, so there has to be a way to select the images and tag them with a Lat/Lon feature. If one can do it per image I can't see it as being too difficult to do with a group of selected images.

Another option would be to mark a Gallery with a Lat/Lon and then one could go and undo this info selectively for images that were not shot at that place. So in my case (example I gave above) while I shot say a 100 odd images inside the hotel there were just a few outside, so I'm happy if we could put the Lat/Lon across the Gallery and then I can just go to the few images not taken in the hotel and give the right Lat/Lon for those images. Much better than going through 100 images marking their Lat/Lon considering that they are already online on SmugMug.

Cheers,

~ Suchit
    ~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2006
    Stat's then where?
    I have a request! headscratch.gif

I get to my stats via the Control Panel. I would love to have a button, link, image, or telepathy method to get back to my control panel. :D

Maybe I'm missing it but I have to go to "Your Photos" then back to my control panel. Now that said, I could go "back" but then I have to do a refresh due to the page timeout.

Any Idears?
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2006
    kc7dji wrote:
    I have a request! headscratch.gif

I get to my stats via the Control Panel. I would love to have a button, link, image, or telepathy method to get back to my control panel. :D

Maybe I'm missing it but I have to go to "Your Photos" then back to my control panel. Now that said, I could go "back" but then I have to do a refresh due to the page timeout.

Any Idears?
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    dj_pshooterdj_pshooter Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2006
    I have been considering Smugmug for some time, what would seal the deal would be multiple users to run a gallery for an online community and not just the one head hancho.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2006
    I have been considering Smugmug for some time, what would seal the deal would be multiple users to run a gallery for an online community and not just the one head hancho.

wave.gif Hi dj,

You might check into our guest password ability? It's here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/guest-passwords

Thanks for considering SmugMug!
  • Options
    sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    Two more consumer orientated features that would rock my world :):

a.) Post to Email - As with Flickr, if you have address like sendto1132@smugmugmug.com, it will post photos to a catagory. This will allow better use of camera phones as well as allowing photographers on-the-move to get their photos on smugmug easier

b.) Post to Blog - This could be tied in with the post to email function but as with Flickr, why don't you add a feature to allow users to post photos to a blog (using the MovableAPI or BloggerAPI) from smugmug. A seperate email address could be used to allow photos to be uploaded and posted straight to a blog?

I think this would be an awesome idea but I have no idea how complicated it would be! At least the Blogging APIs are open! thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    a.) Post to Email - As with Flickr, if you have address like sendto1132@smugmugmug.com, it will post photos to a catagory. This will allow better use of camera phones as well as allowing photographers on-the-move to get their photos on smugmug easier
    Have a look at this help topic. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2006
    sort by checksum
    I would like to suggest the sort by checksum option. This would be helpful in finding duplicate photos.

thanks
    -- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
    http://www.michaelmcleod.com/
  • Options
    jeffajeffa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    Include time in Smugmug timelines
    Hi,

I would find it really useful to be able to search for photos taken within a time range, rather than just a date range.

Also it would be good to be able to optional break gallerys by hour, to indicate when the photos were taken.

This would be particularly useful for event photographers.

Cheers

Jeffa
  • Options
    ScalaScala Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    How about adding an option for pro users to set their nickname.smugmug.com page to redirect (by means of a HTTP 301 response from the server) to their custom domain?

Google recommends this: http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/3.html

This is part of my project to get Google to list my page as www.majakorpi.net instead of my nickname.smugmug.com address which I'm not including here to avoid Google seeing it :)

Thanks
    My smugmug site: www.majakorpi.net
  • Options
    evergreen25evergreen25 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2006
    watermarks
    Custom watermarking!

I know it has been requested many times already. I have even already asked for it once in another thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34536&highlight=watermark

<begging>Please, please, please....</begging> I know it must not be an easy thing to do or else it would aready be done, but I really hope some headway is make on this feature request soon.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    three requests
    As a pro user, here are my top three requests in order of priority:

1. Custom Watermarking (I know a broken record)
    2. Package pricing - ability to create a package of photos with a special price rather than everything a la carte.

3. Ability to apply credit - I currently accept a retainer fee that I would like to be applicable to a sales order. Instead I have to refund the fee when the sales threshold is met. It would be nice if we could apply that here - either by using a coupon code or a credit code.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to have the very same photograph in more than one gallery. That way I could, say, put one shot from a wedding shoot and make it a smugmug critique gallery. Comments to either copy would accumulate in the same place and it's popularity score would be consolidated. Also title changes would propagate.

So, perhaps "Make 2nd Copy" and "Make Shortcut"?
    I second that! GO smugmug GOO! thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    I would like it if galleries with no hits didn't show up on the stats page, or at least all pooled at the bottom.
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I'd like to be able to have the very same photograph in more than one gallery. That way I could, say, put one shot from a wedding shoot and make it a smugmug critique gallery. Comments to either copy would accumulate in the same place and it's popularity score would be consolidated. Also title changes would propagate.

So, perhaps "Make 2nd Copy" and "Make Shortcut"?

I second that request...clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2006
    So I am asking again
    I remember putting in a couple of feature requests to which there was no response
    So here it goes again
    1. Originals visibility. Sure I dont want others to see originals. But what about the gallery owner. I have to change gallery settings and then do it!
    2. Same for prints too(I think somebody else asked this).

cya
    tsk
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I remember putting in a couple of feature requests to which there was no response
    So here it goes again
    1. Originals visibility. Sure I dont want others to see originals. But what about the gallery owner. I have to change gallery settings and then do it!
    2. Same for prints too(I think somebody else asked this).

cya
    tsk
    tsk, we can't possibly answer every feature request, but know this: everyone in the company sees every single one of these feature requests deal.gif

Thanks for posting!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    How about a checkbox for all non-logged-in users to cookie their name and site so they don't have to re-enter it every time.

This could possibly result in a higher comment rate per user. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    I'm getting mighty envious of other sites which allow a more direct order system. The ones that when you select a photo to view larger an order menu pops up beside the photo with various sizes and prices and check boxes.

I would like to have this ability where the order menu pops up next to the selected photo and the customer could check the box next to the photo product desired then select "add to the cart". All of our current cart options would still be available this would be another method of getting items in that cart - kind of an impulse trigger. When the customer went to check out our standard cart would display with cropping options etc....

Or I could do a better job of explaining the order process on my sitethumb.gif

Oh yeah - customizable watermarks :D
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    *cough* Package Pricing *cough*.

I know it's been suggested alot. I know it's not super easy. But it's one of the biggest reasons I'm still doing alot of stuff myself locally rather than posting it online and going through smugmug like I would preffer. It takes alot less time for me to go to a local lab I trust give them a copy of the file and show them the package list that was ordered than to go through and order a bunch of different sizes of the same pose individually. Being able to offer packages could cut the clients time, actually usually my time as the client doesn't want to spend that much time trying to order the prints, going through the order process. Figure a minute or two to select the pose, package, crop it vs. 10 minutes or more for a decent size package using the current method. I know for large team portraits and stuff I have spent over an hour placing an order and if their had been package's available I coulda prolly cut that down to 15-30 minutes instead.

Customizable water marks and back printing would be nice too :).
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    knight777knight777 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2006
    Feature Request: Edit Captions Bulk after upload link
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place so apologies if its not.

I would love to see a link after file uploads are complete (using the standard web-based upload) that displays all the images just uploaded in "Edit Captions Bulk" mode, like you can do using the Photo Tools in a gallery.

What happens is that I'll have a gallery of 50 images, add 30 new images, and now the edit captions/keywords bulk tool for that gallery has 80 images sort through when all I want to do is edit captions/keywords on the newly uploaded images.

Having a link or a way to bulk edit the most recent uploads would be a huge time saver.

Or, perhaps there is already a good way to do this and someone can enlighten a noob :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2006
    knight777 wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place so apologies if its not.

I would love to see a link after file uploads are complete (using the standard web-based upload) that displays all the images just uploaded in "Edit Captions Bulk" mode, like you can do using the Photo Tools in a gallery.

What happens is that I'll have a gallery of 50 images, add 30 new images, and now the edit captions/keywords bulk tool for that gallery has 80 images sort through when all I want to do is edit captions/keywords on the newly uploaded images.

Having a link or a way to bulk edit the most recent uploads would be a huge time saver.

Or, perhaps there is already a good way to do this and someone can enlighten a noob :)

Thanks!

Hm. I can't think of a better way than going to the gallery, after upload, and using the edit (bulk) features. But thanks for the suggestion!

Moving to features request thread.

Oh - WELCOME TO DGRIN! wave.gif
  • Options
    chmosschmoss Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    Yes I would love to see this feature. Make 2nd copy gets confusing to other people. Fo example if you do a keyword search on a word that is linked to multiple copies of the same photo, they all show up. Looks confusing.
    I also need a copy feature - both in bulk (if I want to put a subset of a prvate gallery in a public space, eg), and on an individual image basis - an "Add to gallery X" link.
    In theory, keywords do it - but most non-geeks don't do keyword searches.
This discussion has been closed.