Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #5

Comments

• Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    photo community and themes
    so I am being told this is not a bug... so then it must be a feature request. Why can't I have a gallery associated with a community and have a theme? It shows the theme and custom in my settings, yet when I associate the gallery with a community it overrides the theme with the plain old black smugmug page? Why do we have to choose? Even with my own community I can't get my galleries to show the theme I want. Is it true that this is by design or I am I doing something wrong? Pissed.gif
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    so I am being told this is not a bug... so then it must be a feature request. Why can't I have a gallery associated with a community and have a theme? It shows the theme and custom in my settings, yet when I associate the gallery with a community it overrides the theme with the plain old black smugmug page? Why do we have to choose? Even with my own community I can't get my galleries to show the theme I want. Is it true that this is by design or I am I doing something wrong? Pissed.gif

Save the flames, there's nothing that can be done. Sorry. CSS would collide and bad thing would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Explicit indication of sizes in both inches and centimeters when print buyers choose print sizes.

I have discussed this with you in another thread, but I gather this is the thread where you collect FRs.

Best regards,
    David List
    We've made a start on this, of sorts:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    I was reading DoctorIt's thread on Exif viewers. whilst the Opanda software does nothing special, the firefox add in is great, right click gives exif and even GPS information, if available. It appears Smugmug strip this out when posting to Dgrin, where as some other servers leave it in, eg here. Is there a reason for this or can the exif details be left with the picture?

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    I was reading DoctorIt's thread on Exif viewers. whilst the Opanda software does nothing special, the firefox add in is great, right click gives exif and even GPS information, if available. It appears Smugmug strip this out when posting to Dgrin, where as some other servers leave it in, eg here. Is there a reason for this or can the exif details be left with the picture?

Cheers
    Stan
    we strip the exif from display copies and give a link to the exif. It's for rapid delivery and viewing of the display sized copies. Originals are not touched, of course.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Thanks for te quick response, I hope you have a good break.

Stan
  • Options
    dominikdominik Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Just give them a gift account and add them as your friend/family. The gallery customizations already have 'friends edit' and 'family edit' options. mwink.gif

Sebastian

gift accounts? are those free accounts that can comment/caption/keyword but can't store photos? cause if not, buying accounts for 35 people is way out of budget :P
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    dominik wrote:
    gift accounts? are those free accounts that can comment/caption/keyword but can't store photos? cause if not, buying accounts for 35 people is way out of budget :P
    You gave me an idea - head over here and look at the orange button in the top right corner. The Military community gives everyone a very limited account, but it's a free smugmug account. You can tell your people to sign up there and then add them as friends or family and they should be able to edit captions on galleries where you've enabled the 'friend/family caption option'! :D

Let me know if this works out for you!

Sebastian

PS: I know that military stuff is not the most desireable community, but maybe smugmug is going to team up with others offering these free accounts also on other themes.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    HomeRunHomeRun Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2006
    Watermark options or at least a better watermark!
    The current only choice for a watermark is seriously lacking. If you can't give us watermark options, could we at least have something that doesn't totally obliterate a medium sized image? Watermark options would be more along what I would expect from the best (except for your watermark) online photo service! :):

-David
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    HomeRun wrote:
    The current only choice for a watermark is seriously lacking. If you can't give us watermark options, could we at least have something that doesn't totally obliterate a medium sized image? Watermark options would be more along what I would expect from the best (except for your watermark) online photo service! :):

-David
    Hi David wave.gif thanks for posting. These are great ideas and I thank you for them!

Stay tuned...
  • Options
    zerobuttonszerobuttons Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We've made a start on this, of sorts:
    http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog2.mg

I must be getting that menu bar up and running soon, so I can link to that, for instance.
    But let´s just say it out loud: some buyers are a bit slow, so explicitly showing them the sizes in both inches and centimeters when they choose the print size is of course still the optimal solution.

Thank you for your answer.

Best regards,
    David List
  • Options
    zip_doo_dahzip_doo_dah Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    I love your service a lot, but one little thing has been bugging me for awhile. Several months ago you made the change where if you click on the picture it blows it up larger in the same window. Very cool, very easy, and I love all the new ajaxy solutions, but I hated that you changed the size selection labels from Small, Medium, Large, and Original to S M L and O.

I understood immediately what they meant, however I know a lot of my family members don't understand it and the main reason I got the site and have convinced friends and relatives to use it too was due to SmugMug being so user-friendly. There is plenty of room on the screen to change it back to Small Medium Large and Original instead of the letters. I just believe it makes it much more intuitive for the user. I also believe the [X] should say Close Window. Think of the confused grandmothers.

Thanks,
    Justin

P.S. Sorry I was so wordy in saying change S to Small and the O to Original and the [X] to Close Window please, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2006
    My bad [X] shouldn't say close window, but it should be easier for my grandmother to understand how to go back.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2006
    I love your service a lot, but one little thing has been bugging me for awhile. Several months ago you made the change where if you click on the picture it blows it up larger in the same window. Very cool, very easy, and I love all the new ajaxy solutions, but I hated that you changed the size selection labels from Small, Medium, Large, and Original to S M L and O.

I understood immediately what they meant, however I know a lot of my family members don't understand it and the main reason I got the site and have convinced friends and relatives to use it too was due to SmugMug being so user-friendly. There is plenty of room on the screen to change it back to Small Medium Large and Original instead of the letters. I just believe it makes it much more intuitive for the user. I also believe the [X] should say Close Window. Think of the confused grandmothers.

Thanks,
    Justin

P.S. Sorry I was so wordy in saying change S to Small and the O to Original and the [X] to Close Window please, etc.

Hi ZDD, thanks for posting! We'll take that as a request :)
    If you are a Power or Pro account holder, we can show you how to style those buttons any way you wish. Just make a post asking same in the customization forum here on Dgrin.

Thanks again for the valuable input!
  • Options
    cameratamcameratam Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2006
    johng wrote:
    As a pro user, here are my top three requests in order of priority:

1. Custom Watermarking (I know a broken record)
    2. Package pricing - ability to create a package of photos with a special price rather than everything a la carte.

3. Ability to apply credit - I currently accept a retainer fee that I would like to be applicable to a sales order. Instead I have to refund the fee when the sales threshold is met. It would be nice if we could apply that here - either by using a coupon code or a credit code.
    I would like to see #2 and #3 as well. Picture packages make customers feel like they are getting a "deal" compared to ordering items a la carte, so they tend to spend more if it is a "better value" or "deal." I'd appreciate gift certificates, vouchers, coupon codes, whatever you all can come up with.

I'd also love to be able to choose which options show in the "viewer controlled" dropdown list when viewing galleries. Less is more. Most customers are first-timers to my site and are only interested in seeing their photos, not navigating through too many choices on how to view them. I force a style now, but 2 or 3 choices would be nice. Also, in previous posts, there was talk of getting rid of filmstrip view. Please keep it!! It is a fast way to scan a whole lot of photos quickly.

This is a great forum, thanks for having me.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi ZDD, thanks for posting! We'll take that as a request :)
    If you are a Power or Pro account holder, we can show you how to style those buttons any way you wish. Just make a post asking same in the customization forum here on Dgrin.

Thanks again for the valuable input!

Thanks for the prompt reply man. I am a power user, so I'll definitely ask someone about how to change this for my site. However, I'm not sure if my fellow family members are power users or not so thanks for taking this up as a serious request!
  • Options
    trastourtrastour Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2006
    Automatic rotation based on Exif
    Hi,

Another vote for having photos automatically rotated based on Exif tags. This would be really useful.
    And I've got two suggestions for this feature:
    (1) make the feature optionnal for people who don't like auto rotation (not me!),
    (2) leave the original untouched and only rotate the resized versions.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    xtinaxtina Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2006
    Ability to change default slideshow
    Hi,
    I'm just a standard user but I would love the ability to change the default slideshow button to open up the type of slideshow in the dropdown list w/ the large size. The dropdown slideshow pictures look better and it is faster and people will still have the option to go fullscreen. It should still open a new window without all the toolbars and keep the options to view at different sizes.

I don't want to give email links to force slideshows in the dropdown mode because people don't realize how to get back to the regular smugmug page to see the individual pictures. Basically, I just want to consolidate the 2 slideshow modes but be able to force the default to Large size instead of the fullscreen mode.

Thanks,
    Tina
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Stats for downloaded images?
    When I do work for non-profit organizations I place the images in a private, password protected gallery that allows the organization to purchase images at my cost price or download the images for free. Is there any way to track the downloaded images and include it with the detailed stats for each image? This would also provide a flag for anyone that forgets to protect their images.

Thanks for considering this request,

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    SunGlo wrote:
    When I do work for non-profit organizations I place the images in a private, password protected gallery that allows the organization to purchase images at my cost price or download the images for free. Is there any way to track the downloaded images and include it with the detailed stats for each image? This would also provide a flag for anyone that forgets to protect their images.

Thanks for considering this request,

Phil

Hi Phil,

We certainly thank you for the request. Seems like a good application for Statcounter or Google Analytics, though, and both of those are free. Have you considered either of these?
  • Options
    SunGloSunGlo Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Phil,

We certainly thank you for the request. Seems like a good application for Statcounter or Google Analytics, though, and both of those are free. Have you considered either of these?

Nope, where do I get them and are they fairly easy to install and use?

Thanks for responding so quick. Hope your enjoying your vacation.

Phil
    SunGlo Photography
    www.sunglophoto.com
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    I haven't gone through all the pages but I was wondering...

Is there a way for the customer to decide how he/she would like their prints printed? I'm talking about the Color Effects options. Depending on what they want to do with the image I think that they should have this option. Now if a photographer does not want them to be able to change the look of the image then make it an option that the photographer will either allow or not allow.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I haven't gone through all the pages but I was wondering...

Is there a way for the customer to decide how he/she would like their prints printed? I'm talking about the Color Effects options. Depending on what they want to do with the image I think that they should have this option. Now if a photographer does not want them to be able to change the look of the image then make it an option that the photographer will either allow or not allow.
    No, the photographer makes the choice, the customer can choose size, color (auto or true), crop, and finish (matte, lustre, glossy).

Thanks, we'll take the feature request!
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    I'd also like to add that while playing around with the color effects on some of my images "auto" totally messed up the image giving it highly unrealistic colors. For the most part my images pretty much match the "auto" images. It would be nice for the customer to see the effect choosing "auto" will do to the image.
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2006
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I'd also like to add that while playing around with the color effects on some of my images "auto" totally messed up the image giving it highly unrealistic colors. For the most part my images pretty much match the "auto" images. It would be nice for the customer to see the effect choosing "auto" will do to the image.
    Auto in the photo tools menu is not the same auto that we use at the lab. But thanks for the request!
  • Options
    asinghzasinghz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2006
    Feature request-Add a picture as a favourite
    How about we have the ability to tag a photograph from another member as our favourite........and that shows up in my favourite bucket.....similar to what flickr does? is this possible in the next enhancement? thanks
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2006
    SunGlo wrote:
    Nope, where do I get them and are they fairly easy to install and use?

Thanks for responding so quick. Hope your enjoying your vacation.

Phil
    www.statcounter.com
    www.google.com

and we show you how to implement them, step by step, here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284
  • Options
    ComfortComfort Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Favourites Photos Gallery - Gallery displaying the best photos you like on Smugmug - obviously giving visitors clear informaiton on who the photo belongs to.

Favourite Photographers - Link to favourite photographers on smugmug.

Mass Geography - Ability to changedgeography information on mass to a group of photos.

Recently Added Gallery - A gallery to show the last 50 or so photographs added to your site

Shortcut Gallery - A gallery of your personally selected photographs.. All photos would be shortcuts only to the original and not duplicates so ranking/comments would remain with the original photos.

Visitor Count - Total Visitors, Visitors this month.

Individual view photo views - Total views for that photos (non thumbnails) when showing a medium or greater sized photo.

Extra Large Photos - Large is just not big enough for higher res screens

Better Browsing and UI
    - Better utilisation of Ajax/Web 2 abilities

my 2c worth
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Integration with Tabblo
    Hi smugmug,

I started a thread here http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39112 about Tabblo.

I think it would be great if it could integrate Smugmug as well (at the moment it integrates with Flickr, for example)

-- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    jh4wvujh4wvu Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Watermarking
    HomeRun wrote:

-David

I personally don't use watermarks because it distract from the images, however, I was looking at another photographers gallery and noticed they had the watermark disappear when you scrolled over the photo. Not sure if that would for most people here but could be a short term solution to custom watermarking.

--Chris
This discussion has been closed.