Options

SmugMug weekly maintenance window: Thursday night / Friday morning

Comments

• Options
    b7j0cb7j0c Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    bohdank wrote:
    Here's a new one. The Statistics page has been showing hits since I looked 3 hrs ago (new month)

When I go into the Popular screen which lists all totals by Gallery, they all show 0.

Hmmm. seems to be a larger problem... none of the other sections are working at all.

hi, this is Brad the stats engineer. I agree there seems to be a problem. I am looking into it now. I will update this thread once I have more information to share. thanks -brad
  • Options
    b7j0cb7j0c Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    b7j0c wrote:
    hi, this is Brad the stats engineer. I agree there seems to be a problem. I am looking into it now. I will update this thread once I have more information to share. thanks -brad

an update: a fix has been made to our internal codebase and the next time we do an deployment (sometime this evening pacific time), this change should roll out. i will update this thread once the fix has been made live in the beta stats page
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    This was about some internal behind-the-scenes stuff. We did some internal admin stuff, and one performance tweak for folks with large amounts of SmugMug email sharing invitations in their control panels.

No release note, sorry!
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    This was about some internal behind-the-scenes stuff. We did some internal admin stuff, and one performance tweak for folks with large amounts of SmugMug email sharing invitations in their control panels.

No release note, sorry!

That's cool, I just wanted to know if they were coming or not, and now I know! Thanks.

Malte
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2010
    We'll be using our Maintenance Window this Thursday night thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Bump!
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    Andy wrote:

We have finished with the window. Tonight was all internal stuff. No release notes.

-Travis
    Travis
  • Options
    KaganKagan Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2010
    zweiblumen wrote:
    We have finished with the window. Tonight was all internal stuff. No release notes.

-Travis

:::::sigh::::

I know I know Patience Grasshopper rolleyes1.gif
    Kagan
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2010
    We will be using our Maintenance Window tonight.
    Travis
  • Options
    robigoukrobigouk Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    zweiblumen wrote:

for much longer?
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2010
    zweiblumen wrote:

"22:27 PST We aren’t quite ready to start yet, maybe another hour or so. Sorry for the delay."

Hey guys, it's now 5:43 am CST.... That's along hour....ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2010
    Follow @smugmugstatus on Twitter for our status updates.

http://twitter.com/SmugMugStatus/status/10687421130

Heads up, we're using the maintenance window tonight.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Grrrrrrrrr, sorry I must vent... I realize and appreciate all the hard work behind the scenes all but listen, I have been burned two weeks in a row now with clients needing work on deadlines and unfortunately, both fall on the maintenence window when the site goes read-only.

I would have no problem with this most the time, but the fact that it comes at 10pm PST really burns my schedule up because many of my clients need work before midnight. Ahhhhhhhhhhh I dont mean to gripe, and never usually do, but I'm formally asking a favor if possible to push back the window back another hour til at least 11pm PST to the powers that be.

Dont make me beg!!!! Andy, I'm on my knees! Please please please please please (and it goes on like that for hours) bowdown.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2010
    Pezpix wrote:
    Grrrrrrrrr, sorry I must vent... I realize and appreciate all the hard work behind the scenes all but listen, I have been burned two weeks in a row now with clients needing work on deadlines and unfortunately, both fall on the maintenence window when the site goes read-only.

I would have no problem with this most the time, but the fact that it comes at 10pm PST really burns my schedule up because many of my clients need work before midnight. Ahhhhhhhhhhh I dont mean to gripe, and never usually do, but I'm formally asking a favor if possible to push back the window back another hour til at least 11pm PST to the powers that be.

Dont make me beg!!!! Andy, I'm on my knees! Please please please please please (and it goes on like that for hours) bowdown.gif

What the heck, no cookie for Ops guys? :D

Pez, thanks for the feedback - I'll make sure folks see this, but I can't promise a change, I can promise that ops will see your post though. I'm sorry the timing didn't work for you :(
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2010
    Heads-up folks, we'll be using our Window tonight. http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/03/25/032410-scheduled-maintenance/
    Travis
  • Options
    mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010

My professional website design has just become so unprofessional that I need to shut it down. The worst thing is that some hidden galleries are now public and unprotected!

In fact there should now be the option for each website administrator to shutdown their own individual website pages, issue an 'Under maintenance' notice, while the website is under going design changes. And when all is well, and tested, then be able to publish it for public viewing. Please seriously consider having such a feature soon.

Also, at least send an email to your pro account users (pros shouldn't need and do not have the time to check Dgrin everyday) so they will have the heads-up and not take clients to their site.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    ...The worst thing is that some hidden galleries are now public and unprotected!

That's really bad. Did this put password protection out of play as well? eek7.gif
    In fact there should now be the option for each website administrator to shutdown their own individual website pages, issue an 'Under maintenance' notice, while the website is under going design changes. And when all is well, and tested, then be able to publish it for public viewing. Please seriously consider having such a feature soon.

This is a good idea. I hate that is needed, but it really is needed. :cry
    Also, at least send an email to your pro account users (pros shouldn't need and do not have the time to check Dgrin everyday) so they will have the heads-up and not take clients to their site.

I'd like an option to take my site offline with my personal message during all maintenance time.

Malte
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010

My professional website design has just become so unprofessional that I need to shut it down. The worst thing is that some hidden galleries are now public and unprotected!

Hey guys, it was a bug, and dealt with quickly - there's no changes being made that will intentionally cause these things to happen. It was a human error and we fixed it. I'm really sorry it happened, but glad that our engineers fixed it very fast.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    That's really bad. Did this put password protection out of play as well?

I'd like an option to take my site offline with my personal message during all maintenance time.

Malte
    No, it didn't and we weren't in any maintenance window last night.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    No, it didn't and we weren't in ant maintenance window last night.

Ok, so what I mean is a personal offline page that I can toggle, and maybe a setting that would make it automatically go up during any site issues or maintenance windows. The Server Farmer™ has got to go in my opinion and a customizable page would be awesome. I'd much rather have an offline page than sketchy behaviour or the on-again-off-again nature of maintenance windows.

The personal offline page woul also be great for when you're tinkering, if you don't want your viewers to see what your doing until it's done. thumb.gif

Great to hear that passwords were unaffected!

Malte
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    Malte wrote:
    That's really bad. Did this put password protection out of play as well? eek7.gif

This is a good idea. I hate that is needed, but it really is needed. :cry

Malte

Not password out of play but I use custom nav to 'hide' the breadcrumbs ... thus preventing public from seeing some working galleries ... but yesterday the default Smugmug design kicked in on all my pages and thus revealing all my galleries VIA BREADCRUMBS ... some of these galleries were not password protection because they were hidden ... some were still in 'original' size status and thus it really freaked me out ... once I discovered it, I had to quickly go in and start to set up all those hidden folders as well. But God knows how long they were 'free' for the picking! I won't know how many photos I've lost. Terrible!

I really thing Smugmug should consider the offline option that I suggested. It will help everyone. If not at least for the Pro account users. PLEASE!!! It will make Smugmug even more professional.

I like you guys and really want you to get even better .... but seriously, you've been giving me heart attacks lately!

UPDATE:
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Mafoto,
    Thanks for posting such a great, detailed feature request. If you don't mind, we'd love it if you would put your feature requests here: http://smugmug.uservoice.com

Thanks!

I created one, please go vote for it. Thanks.

http://smugmug.uservoice.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/658569-local-webpage-shutdown-administrative-rights-to-re
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,258 moderator
    edited April 16, 2010
    Not password out of play but I use custom nav to 'hide' the breadcrumbs ... thus preventing public from seeing some working galleries ... but yesterday the default Smugmug design kicked in on all my pages and thus revealing all my galleries VIA BREADCRUMBS
    You should never rely on hiding your galleries by hiding the breadcrumb - anyone can look at your site using a tool like the Firefox Web Developer Extension - it's simple to remove your CSS.

If you have galleries that you don't' want anyone to see, make them unlisted. For true protection, password protect them (because if someone has the URL they can access an unlisted gallery).

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    You should never rely on hiding your galleries by hiding the breadcrumb - anyone can look at your site using a tool like the Firefox Web Developer Extension - it's simple to remove your CSS.

If you have galleries that you don't' want anyone to see, make them unlisted. For true protection, password protect them (because if someone has the URL they can access an unlisted gallery).

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. Yes, now I know. I learned it the hard way. I've unlisted them last night and also password protected them. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Heads up folks. We'll be using our maintenance window tomorrow.

http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/04/21/042210-scheduled-maintenance/
    Travis
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    Many pros asked for a new 'maintenance' page and so we've done that.

20100428-fqgcrduj8jrjn7x2eypmsthrrr.jpg

Similar graphic is used for when we have an emergency, non-maintenance outage and need to display the message.
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Many pros asked for a new 'maintenance' page and so we've done that.

iloveyou.gif

Malte
  • Options
    R.LeonardoR.Leonardo Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Much better.
    Any word on reduction or elimination of maintenance occurrences and down time hours?
    Ya, I got to be that guy that throws that in there.
    R. Leonardo
    www.RobArtPhoto.com
    Whether he is an artist or not, the photographer is a joyous sensualist, for the simple reason that the eye traffics in feelings, not in thoughts. -Walker Evans
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2010
    R.Leonardo wrote:
    Much better.
    Any word on reduction or elimination of maintenance occurrences and down time hours?
    Ya, I got to be that guy that throws that in there.
    We have a reserved window every Thursday evening, 10pm California time. We do not always use it, but when we do, we announce it here: http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/04/28/042910-scheduled-maintenance/ and here http://twitter.com/SmugMugStatus and also on our other Twitter feeds and Facebook pages.

Operations is always making improvements to things and of course our objective is to minimize any unscheduled downtime.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2010
    Heads up, maintenance tonight http://status.blogs.smugmug.com/ (should be short, we hope!)