Play-doh

thumb.gifThat could be fantastic

Stan
  • Options
    Porkpiehat_602Porkpiehat_602 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2006
    Hand-held self-portrait
    Andy wrote:
    hi guys. post 'em here. the original thread was a bit long in the tooth, so i'm starting a new one. feel free to re-post your ideas in this thread.

make it simple, i'm just one guy! :bash

This challenge works well with my assortment of point-n-shoot auto-everything (or nothing) cameras. How about hand-held self portraits? Or alternatively, environmental self portraits. I'm an old pro who doesn't have professional digital equipment or experience when it comes to printing photos with the lights on. I would welcome a challenge that required creativity and sideways thinking on location, with that gizmo in your pocket that eats batteries and goes along for the ride when you don't plan on taking pictures. You know, available light, in the moment, without the influence of any major stroking of the keyboard involved.

I appreciate what goes into a well rendered work of digital art, but I just can't compete, if my mastery of Photoshop (or my HP printer) is an issue.
    My digital muse has dragged me into the wonderful world of video, so I may never make a perfect print again! (I'm a very good photographer, so how hard can video be, right? Oh, man!)

Anyway, I just discovered Digital Grin today so I probably don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just happy to be here.clap.gif
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    I was thinking it would be cool to have a theme of Thumbnails. A certain size of 100px x 100px. Who could make the best "small" picture.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I was thinking it would be cool to have a theme of Thumbnails. A certain size of 100px x 100px. Who could make the best "small" picture.
    I like this idea... wonder how others would feel about it...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2006
    Can't be doing with reading the whole thread but just in case - 'The best B+W conversion' hasn't already been done?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    lovelove Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Dual Assignment?
    Perhaps a dual assignment? Showing Motion vs. Stopping Motion (no PS)
    LOVE | Design & Photography
    www.nicolelove.com
  • Options
    shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    future challenges
    Portraits is good. Perhaps a few different 'portrait' challenges, since many of us do not have studio lighting setup etc.
    1-studio type
    2-candids - on the street, or less formal setting than a 'studiio'
    3-of kids
    4-of adults
    5-of people at work/play
    6-of military personnel
  • Options
    sgbotsfordsgbotsford Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Meta-Challenge Ideas
    These aren't ideas about new challenges, but ideas as to how challenges work. If they are in the wrong place, the moderator is free to move them, and slap my knuckles with a ruler as soon as he catches me. (Grin, duck and run...)

1. The "No Serious Editing" contests should be the ones that use Serious Photo Software as prizes. For non NSE contests perhaps solicit filter suites and add-ons as prizes.

2. For edited pix I would like a description of what editing was done, with possibly a before as well as an after pix. Some people provide this, some don't. Encourage, not force.

3. I would love to see a few hundred words by the judge on each contest commenting on the the submissions, to the contest, and some of why he picked what he did. (Dart board, roll of dice, number of pixels with value 121,144,169, one the dog licked)

4. The time limit on pictures troubles me on a couple of counts:
    A. Someone may have a fabulous pic that fits the criterion exactly, but was taken at a time that mismatches the challenge. If he's honest, we don't get to see it.
    B. If he's not honest there are a tonne (That's 1000 KG, 2208 lbs for non-metric readers...) of software packages that can read and modify EXIF data. (Many of these programs also can read and write IPTC fields, which can be used to help you FIND that picture 10 years from now.)

C. There are a lot of possible challenges that are eliminated due to the subjects having different time limits in different areas. E.g: "Migrations" "First Day of Winter" "County Fair"

This brings up several ideas for modifiying the challenges.

I. Remove/Modify the time frame from some/all contests. (E.g. a challenge based on "Autumn" under the present rules creates a problem for either people in Maine or people in Georgia.)

2. Encourage people to post "Non participating photos" that met the subject of the contest but not the time frame. These are declared as such in the post, and are there for our enjoyment.

3. Ban the time limit per se, but the Judge will be asked to select a certain fraction of finalists from the stipulated time frame.

Now having variable time slots makes scheduling more of a problem. It may mean that at any given time there may be 2-4 different challenges running.

This could be a neat thing, or it could be an incredible hassle.

Anyway, a few ideas. Worth what you paid for them, at the very least.

Note: The contests, and quality of work on this site is great. I'm now using this site as a resource for my photography class.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    Spaghetti
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    sgbotsford wrote:
    These aren't ideas about new challenges, but ideas as to how challenges work. If they are in the wrong place, the moderator is free to move them, and slap my knuckles with a ruler as soon as he catches me. (Grin, duck and run...)

1. The "No Serious Editing" contests should be the ones that use Serious Photo Software as prizes. For non NSE contests perhaps solicit filter suites and add-ons as prizes.

2. For edited pix I would like a description of what editing was done, with possibly a before as well as an after pix. Some people provide this, some don't. Encourage, not force.

3. I would love to see a few hundred words by the judge on each contest commenting on the the submissions, to the contest, and some of why he picked what he did. (Dart board, roll of dice, number of pixels with value 121,144,169, one the dog licked)

4. The time limit on pictures troubles me on a couple of counts:
    A. Someone may have a fabulous pic that fits the criterion exactly, but was taken at a time that mismatches the challenge. If he's honest, we don't get to see it.
    B. If he's not honest there are a tonne (That's 1000 KG, 2208 lbs for non-metric readers...) of software packages that can read and modify EXIF data. (Many of these programs also can read and write IPTC fields, which can be used to help you FIND that picture 10 years from now.)

C. There are a lot of possible challenges that are eliminated due to the subjects having different time limits in different areas. E.g: "Migrations" "First Day of Winter" "County Fair"

This brings up several ideas for modifiying the challenges.

I. Remove/Modify the time frame from some/all contests. (E.g. a challenge based on "Autumn" under the present rules creates a problem for either people in Maine or people in Georgia.)

2. Encourage people to post "Non participating photos" that met the subject of the contest but not the time frame. These are declared as such in the post, and are there for our enjoyment.

3. Ban the time limit per se, but the Judge will be asked to select a certain fraction of finalists from the stipulated time frame.

Now having variable time slots makes scheduling more of a problem. It may mean that at any given time there may be 2-4 different challenges running.

This could be a neat thing, or it could be an incredible hassle.

Anyway, a few ideas. Worth what you paid for them, at the very least.

Note: The contests, and quality of work on this site is great. I'm now using this site as a resource for my photography class.
    Thanks for the ideas and comments and suggestions, we appreciate them very much.
  • Options
    MrPeepers310MrPeepers310 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    How about "Young and Old"
    "Stress"
    "30 second exposure or more"
    Pretty much any adjective works for a photo challenge!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    sgbotsford wrote:
    These aren't ideas about new challenges, but ideas as to how challenges work...
    Hi sg, welcome to dgrin and thanks for the critical thinking.

I think you'll find many of these points addressed in the many threads that have been started on this topic over the years (do a little search, you might be surprised at a few of the very heated discussions we've had). What we have now is a pretty nice compromise between quality challenges and the amount of work required by volunteer hosts and judges.
    Erik

• Options
    QuitaritaQuitarita Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    suggestion for challenge topic
    Hi,

How about:
    "Capturing Creatives in Action"

* Dancers dancing
    * Painters painting
    * Singers singing
    * Writers writing
    * Musicians musician-ing...lol, ok that one didn't work but you get what I'm saying. :)

Also what about:
    * Pregnancy
    * Birth
    * Wedding

re: Challenges - For what it is worth, I am new to dgrin and I love how the challenges have been structured. I really like the 'fresh' picture constraint and time frame (2-weeks works for me).

The challenges make me think (actually obsess!) about the topic and forces me to take pictures of things I may otherwise not. It is very educational. So please continue to keep the 'fresh' aspect going.

I like the idea of asking people to write about what adjustements they did to the photo so others can learn. Maybe the top 10 can do before and afters?

I also like the idea of asking the judges to write some words about the top 10 photos selected and why they picked them but I know you guys already volunteer so much time and I wouldn't want to ask for more. I just really appreciate that you guys even do these challenges. GRACIAS!!!

Love the forum and everyone's involvement in helping improve people's photographs too!

If there were a cheerleading squad for dgrin, I'd be on the team! :D
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Quitarita wrote:
    I also like the idea of asking the judges to write some words about the top 10 photos selected and why they picked them but I know you guys already volunteer so much time and I wouldn't want to ask for more. I just really appreciate that you guys even do these challenges. GRACIAS!!!
    You're welcome, and thanks. nod.gifthumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    this would be the greatest challenge ever:

"Access all areas"

Think about it.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    smuggersmugger Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Some ideas
    I tried to read through all of the ideas so I wouldn't post something repeated but I'm new to the game and there are already 22 pages of ideas! Ok, at the risk of repeating other ideas mine are:

1) Home

2) Surprise

3) Same, but Different

4) Manipulation - I guess this might end up being a more PS challenge, but I think it would be really interesting to take one common image the mod would choose and all of the challengers take that image to create something completely different from it and see all the variations people can come up with.

5) SmugMug! people come up with different ways to for the logo to show up in their images (i.e. drawn out, superimposed in a creative way, etc).

6) Water

7) Dreams

ok, all over the place I know, just throwing things out there. I love looking at this forum after recently discovering it!
    ~smugger
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2006
    What about past and present. Archaic and modern in one shot... Kind of like MrPeepers' young and old.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2006
    Here's one for Andy!

Food! :)
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    Power
    I would like to see a challenge for presenting "Power".
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2006
    Cemetaries. Lots of opportunities for patterns, flowers, somber moments (black & white can really add to the mood for these shots). My wife took a photography class at a local community college years ago and this was one of their standard assignments. I recall going with her to a veteran's cemetary where the tombstones are all the same and you get a variety of repeating pattterns (plus the sheer scale of these things really drives home how many sacrificed it all).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 31, 2006
    traffic
    cloud
    sound
    work
    energy
    wet
    cold
    heat
    food
    waste
    greed
    night
    light
  • Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    a few...
    -upside down
    -earth
    -rich/poor
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Cheese
  • Options
    TheFoodTravellerTheFoodTraveller Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    A few ideas (maybe not new)
    contrast (size or colors)
    doors
    free falling
    in the moving
    feeling cold
    geez!

Just some thoughts from a new comer (see, second post :ivar)
    Francesco P.
    http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    more suggestions
    Reflection(s)
    twist
    flow
    elements
    geometry
    numbers
    eternity
    the moment
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2007
    Rain
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
  • Options
    AtheanaAtheana Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    What about a best 'Adobe Photoshopped Photo'? Something a bit zany and creative?