Options

*** post your suggestions for future challenges here ***

Comments

• Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Hey CB...how ya doin' ?

hey bro im cool as a cucumber. i get to go back to work tomorrow and the surgeon i saw this afternoon says my latest bite looks good so he doesnt want to mess with it. all in all im doin well, though last night i forgot that i had taken some hydocodone and took 75mg of benadryl to deal with an allergy attack, lets just say i got lots and lots of sleep.

how about you, hows things on the sunny side of the world? hows a bout sending me a nice sheila and some seafood?

cb
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2005
    Challange Idea...
    Country Pride. I have a strong emotion for my wonderful country. And I know that others on the board are from other countries and I love to see other flags and maybe a brief breakdown of what all it represents. I think this challenge would be educational as well as fun. So what do you say........Lets see some flags!
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    My Suggestion...
    Don't know if this has been suggested yet or not...

Challenge Idea: "Today's Weather Report..."

The idea here would be to show how the weather affects us, not just take a picture of a sunny or rainy day or snow on the ground, but give the viewer a real feel for what it is to *be there*. For example, sweat on a person's brow with the hot sun overhead, the effect of a strong wind on trees or tall grasses or people with umbrellas, what you would do on a perfect day (a couple playing tennis, swimming, boating, picnicking, etc.), a child playing in the snow with so many layers of winter clothes you can hardly see him, busy city streets in the rain, etc...

This would work no matter where a person lives...because it would be their own local weather report. So if they live in Australia where it's summer now, or in Alaska where the snow is still several feet deep, it won't matter!

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents worth... :D

~Nee rolleyes1.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2005
    Iconic Products. e.g. Beer, soft drink, household products. Ones that you see beautifully advertised in glossy magazines and you know even without the object in the shot
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Sunrise/Sunset - I bet that's a tough one!
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 3, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:

Challenge Idea: "Today's Weather Report..."

The idea here would be to show how the weather affects us, not just take a picture of a sunny or rainy day or snow on the ground, but give the viewer a real feel for what it is to *be there*. For example, sweat on a person's brow with the hot sun overhead, the effect of a strong wind on trees or tall grasses or people with umbrellas, what you would do on a perfect day (a couple playing tennis, swimming, boating, picnicking, etc.), a child playing in the snow with so many layers of winter clothes you can hardly see him, busy city streets in the rain, etc...

This would work no matter where a person lives...because it would be their own local weather report. So if they live in Australia where it's summer now, or in Alaska where the snow is still several feet deep, it won't matter!

~Nee rolleyes1.gif

hmmmmmm! hmmmmmmmmmm! OK, I second this idea Andy.
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    ideas
    andy wrote:
    hi guys. post 'em here. the original thread was a bit long in the tooth, so i'm starting a new one. feel free to re-post your ideas in this thread.

make it simple, i'm just one guy! :bash
    Okay, I haven't been here very long but how about GONE. I can think of a ton of things that could fit!

I apologize if someone already suggested this as I didn't read all of the preceding comments. dawn
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am looking at a book for subjects

1) Lines, such as fences, staircases, trees?
    2) Abstracting, being aware of and looking at familiar "things" as shapes
    3) Texture, ripples on a pond,frayed thread, peeling paint, etc
    4) Perspective, wide angle lenses to create.....and long to create........
    changing the feel of distance, size, etc.
    Light on perspective?

One of my favorite themes is "textures from nature".

Lynne
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:

Challenge Idea: "Today's Weather Report..."This would work no matter where a person lives...because it would be their own local weather report. So if they live in Australia where it's summer now, or in Alaska where the snow is still several feet deep, it won't matter!

~Nee rolleyes1.gif

Love this idea!

Lynne
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    Open
    The theme of no theme. Anything goes. Once in a long while it might be nice to just see the absolute best that everybody can do in a fortnight each according to his/her own interests.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    The theme of no theme. Anything goes. Once in a long while it might be nice to just see the absolute best that everybody can do in a fortnight each according to his/her own interests.

very "seinfeld-esque"

a contest about nothing
    and everything

lol3.gif
  • Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I really like that idea. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    I don't know if this has been said yet
    How about the five senses? I know hearing might be tricky for photographers but its not called a challenge for nothing.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    "These are the people in my neighbourhood"

"Common Subject, Uncommon Angle"

"Cold"

"Candles" or "Candlelight"

"Irony"

"Machines"

"Electricity"

"Massive"

"Dangerous"

"How'd they do that?"

"Impossible"

"Auto-Reflective" (reflections of the photographer - inspired by a picture of a Hershey Kiss actually)

"Authority"

"Sticky"

Jamie
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    How about the five senses? I know hearing might be tricky for photographers but its not called a challenge for nothing.
    Ashley
    I like that one!

Jamie
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    JamieC wrote:
    "These are the people in my neighbourhood"

"Common Subject, Uncommon Angle"

"Cold"

"Candles" or "Candlelight"

"Irony"

"Machines"

"Electricity"

"Massive"

"Dangerous"

"How'd they do that?"

"Impossible"

"Auto-Reflective" (reflections of the photographer - inspired by a picture of a Hershey Kiss actually)

"Authority"

"Sticky"

Jamie
    Definitely the last one
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Stan wrote:
    Definitely the last one
    I guess that one's open to alot of interpretation! I was thinking of how neat orange marmelade (jam/compote) looks on toast in the sun. Wonderous thing the human mind.

Jamie

Edit to add: Umm... unless you meant "jamie"
  • Options
    SamanthaJaneSamanthaJane Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 6, 2005
    Ditto! and more
    I especially think : NO digital manipulation would be a good challenge.
    I also like "your street" and "self portraits"

How about:

dirt/earth
    fruit
    autoparts
    feet (or any safe to post body parts)
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    The sun rising over the Atlantic Ocean.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    joechiujoechiu Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Cause and Effect

Two pictures that tell a cause-and-effect story.
    For a twist, objects in the first picture cannot appear in the second.

Example (using previous dgrin challenge submission pictures to illustrate the point):
    Pic 1: http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5021&stc=1
    next to
    Pic 2: http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4201&stc=1
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    joechiu wrote:
    Cause and Effect

Two pictures that tell a cause-and-effect story.
    For a twist, objects in the first picture cannot appear in the second.

Example (using previous dgrin challenge submission pictures to illustrate the point):
    Pic 1: http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5021&stc=1
    next to
    Pic 2: http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4201&stc=1
    Laughing.gif!! I like it.
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Might I suggest...........
    3650 degree challenge:

what I really mean is: you stand in ONE place and, find images (3) you can use your eye and camera to create.

Why? It is a great excersize in using your mind and eyes to find images you might not have thought to take and forces you to see things that you might not have seen otherwise.

One of my "early years" mentors taught me this excersize back when I was a young lad with a Canon AE1P camera :-)

Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    how about submit a image that has a MOVIE TITLE, like the good, the bad and the ugly / or million dollar baby /. each participant can chose their own movie. maybe this was done already - i dont know....

troy
    andy wrote:
    hi guys. post 'em here. the original thread was a bit long in the tooth, so i'm starting a new one. feel free to re-post your ideas in this thread.

make it simple, i'm just one guy! :bash
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    3650 degree challenge:

what I really mean is: you stand in ONE place and, find images (3) you can use your eye and camera to create.

Why? It is a great excersize in using your mind and eyes to find images you might not have thought to take and forces you to see things that you might not have seen otherwise.

One of my "early years" mentors taught me this excersize back when I was a young lad with a Canon AE1P camera :-)

Markjay
    Do you mean to stitch together photos to create 360 degrees? Could you post an example? I don't think I'm following what your saying, but I'm interested!headscratch.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    No, I don't mean 360 degree images..........
    Maybe I used a bad description. A better description would be taking three photographs from ONE standing position / spot.

You stand in one spot, can rotate your body to find "things" of interest to photograph but, you can not physically move yourself from that ONE spot you are photographing from.

Trust me, the mind gets VERY inventive when you are forced to photgraph anything you can "see" from that one position, three photographs that is.

You may find this a strange excersize but, if you try this yourself out on the street or in your home, you'l see how it forces creativity and forces you to see things you might otherwise not take notice of.

Markjay
    landrum wrote:
    Do you mean to stitch together photos to create 360 degrees? Could you post an example? I don't think I'm following what your saying, but I'm interested!headscratch.gif
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    Thoughts on upcoming Challenges
    I have two suggestions for coming Challenges after those online already.

Curve
    Inflected Form(s): curved; curv·ing
    Etymology: Latin curvare, from curvus
    intransitive senses : to have or take a turn, change, or deviation from a straight line or plane surface without sharp breaks or angularity

Shadow
    1 : partial darkness or obscurity within a part of space from which rays from a source of light are cut off by an interposed opaque body
    2 : a reflected image
    3 : shelter from danger or observation
    4 a : an imperfect and faint representation b : an imitation of something : [size=-1]COPY[/size]
    5 : the dark figure cast upon a surface by a body intercepting the rays from a source of light
    6 : [size=-1]PHANTOM[/size]
    7 plural : [size=-1]DARK [/size]1a
    8 : a shaded or darker portion of a picture
    9 : an attenuated form or a vestigial remnant
    10 a : an inseparable companion or follower b : one (as a spy or detective) that shadows
    11 : a small degree or portion : [size=-1]TRACE[/size]
    12 : a source of gloom or unhappiness
    13 a : an area near an object : [size=-1]VICINITY[/size] b : pervasive and dominant influence
    14 : a state of ignominy or obscurity

Just my Thought. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2005
    The both sound really good thumb.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2005
    I like this idea, Mark!
    Markjay wrote:
    Maybe I used a bad description. A better description would be taking three photographs from ONE standing position / spot.

You stand in one spot, can rotate your body to find "things" of interest to photograph but, you can not physically move yourself from that ONE spot you are photographing from.

Trust me, the mind gets VERY inventive when you are forced to photgraph anything you can "see" from that one position, three photographs that is.

You may find this a strange excersize but, if you try this yourself out on the street or in your home, you'l see how it forces creativity and forces you to see things you might otherwise not take notice of.

Markjay
    It would be pretty challenging...well...depending on where you stand! folks living where there are great outdoor landscapes or NYC type scenes might have better subject matter. Cow town USA (actually...Farmersville, where we live) isn't terribly exciting whichever way you slice it unless there's a some sort of special event going on, (rodeo, downtown parade, high school football game, etc.). Now, if I could get over to the coast or up to Yosemite for this challenge, there might be a different story, Laughing.gif!

Cheers!
    ~Nee ;)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    I had thought of one im not sure if it would work for everyone though but i had figured it might.

How about "Pollution" ?

Kind of a my dirty town section. Almost every place can relate to a place where there is garbage littering the gutters or sidewalks or ditches. Even far out places have garbage blown in. Some places may seem clean just to have a gutter full of colorful oil. The exaust from an old diesel engine or burning tires. Was just an idea. It just seemed like it could really bring some emotions out in an odd way.
  • Options
    T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2005
    Macro Mystery
    Take a fabulous picture close up of an object that at close up range you can't quite tell what it is. Would be especially great if it turned out to be something not usually very attractive.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!