Options

70~200 Canon f/2.8 IS L USM

Comments

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    My basic travel gear is the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. Three excellent, fast lenses that cover the range. I take these whenever I travel. I should bring the 1.4 extender, but I'm not crazy about it.

Sid,
    My son in law is working in Barcelona and we are going to visit him for a couple of days.

I' ll have to carry the lens of course...
    How do you carry yours ?
    With a little car with wheels ?
    Like the one we sometimes use for shopping ?
    At your back eek7.gif ?

Obrigado. thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    PeterGar wrote:
    This past Saturday I was assisting at a wedding. I used my friend's 70-200 f/2.8L and had some frustrations with getting it to lock focus in AF mode.

Is it normal for these lenses to focus hunt as much as I experienced?

Which AF mode were you in? AI Servo will hunt more, especially when shooting stationary stuff, as it's looking to track movement. If you move a little, it will try to track your subject, and if your subject was still, and you weren't, that's probably why it was hunting. One shot, and AI focus are better for stationary subjects. I have had no hunting issues with my 70-200L f2.8 IS.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Which AF mode were you in? AI Servo will hunt more, especially when shooting stationary stuff, as it's looking to track movement. If you move a little, it will try to track your subject, and if your subject was still, and you weren't, that's probably why it was hunting. One shot, and AI focus are better for stationary subjects. I have had no hunting issues with my 70-200L f2.8 IS.

Remember that the lens has two focusing modes, "close" (1.?m) and "far" (2.?m). If you're not shooting small subjects at close range you should put it on the "far" mode, it will hunt less. That said, I haven't found that lens to be nearly as susceptible to hunting as my 75-300 IS.

As Jeffro said, AI servo mode is going to hunt more. It's making guesses as to what to focus on. In my experience you really want to keep your subject in the center of the viewfinder for it to get correct focus lock; if you drift, it will refocus on something else. I find that so annoying that I gave up on AI servo mode entirely and just use center point only, it's usually fast enough and is much more accurate.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    I find that so annoying that I gave up on AI servo mode entirely and just use center point only, it's usually fast enough and is much more accurate.

If you gave up on AI Servo, and shoot action/sports you need to give it another shot! Once you lock the center spot on your subject, and continue to depress the shutter button halfway, until you shoot, or through a series of shots the lens will track the movement. It works great! :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Invitation
    I suggest you post here all the comments about this lens.
    I'll do so.
    Will you do it please ?
    Every information we change will be gathered in only one shread ...
    Agree ? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    Helen S wrote:
    It's finally arrived. :D
    After an eternity of saving, the 70-200 arrived at the post office this morning. I know you all know what it looks like, but this one's mine. mwink.gif

9424.jpg

Cheers, Helen

Where are those photos, shot with this magnificent piece of glass ?
    I want to see them !!! :):
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    my non IS version of this lens comes today...I can't wait till I get out of work so I can play with it.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Helen S wrote:
    It's finally arrived. :D
    After an eternity of saving, the 70-200 arrived at the post office this morning. I know you all know what it looks like, but this one's mine. mwink.gif

9424.jpg

Cheers, Helen

It is a fantastic lens, enjoy it clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2006
    Young girl
    Today we have been at Carlos' s
    He has this beautifull daughter my wife shot.
    The others shots I did them.

Here again we can see the quality of the lens.
    Hope you like the shot.
    84935445-L.jpg
    84941660-L.jpg
    84938548-L.jpg
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    What I presumed was ...the screw would have some kind of contact at its end that would switch off the IS in spite of beeing ON on the lens
    That wouldn't be a smart way of shutting off IS at all ... what if you attach a tripod quick-release plate to the lens, and then hand-hold it? It would disable IS while you're hand-holding eek7.gif! Turning off IS just due to attaching something to its tripod mount wouldn't make sense.

So, as you've read elsewhere in this thread, these newer Canon IS lenses just sense when they're already stable enough (e.g. tripod-mounted), no doubt via the same motion sensor that feeds the IS mechanism, and when the motion is near "nil" they turn off IS.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    photobug wrote:
    That wouldn't be a smart way of shutting of IS at all. What if you attach a tripod quick-release plate to the lens, and then hand-hold it? It would disable IS while you're hand-holding eek7.gif! Turning off IS just due to attaching something to its tripod mount wouldn't make sense.

So, as you've read elsewhere in this thread, these newer Canon IS lenses just sense when they're already stable enough (e.g. tripod-mounted), no doubt via the same motion sensor that feeds the IS mechanism, and when the motion is near "nil" they turn off IS.

OK Thank you. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    Shots from today with the 70-200
    Tremendously good and sharp.
    89151818-L.jpg

89151981-L.jpg

89151631-L.jpg
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 19, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    If you gave up on AI Servo, and shoot action/sports you need to give it another shot! Once you lock the center spot on your subject, and continue to depress the shutter button halfway, until you shoot, or through a series of shots the lens will track the movement. It works great! :D

Indeed, was playing with that on a Blue Angels F-18 yesterday. Too bad it was raining and there was no light to shoot a pic worth a damn. Hopefully this gloom will break before Sunday's show as today's is gonna be gray and wet.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2006
    Truth,
    Let us see those pics here, please.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Indeed, was playing with that on a Blue Angels F-18 yesterday. Too bad it was raining and there was no light to shoot a pic worth a damn. Hopefully this gloom will break before Sunday's show as today's is gonna be gray and wet.

Was in Chicago Friday having lunch with a friend at Topolobompo (mmm mmm) and was hoping some of the warm up stuff. It was overcast all day, but I thought I could still get some pictures in...just as we got done eating, it started to rain. I gave up at that point and took a taxi back to the metra station.

Also missed out on my hot air balloon ride because of the weather. :cry

A weekend with no pictures.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Was in Chicago Friday having lunch with a friend at Topolobompo (mmm mmm) and was hoping some of the warm up stuff. It was overcast all day, but I thought I could still get some pictures in...just as we got done eating, it started to rain. I gave up at that point and took a taxi back to the metra station.

Also missed out on my hot air balloon ride because of the weather. :cry

Had a good meal ?
    Feel good then and now ?
    Gooood !....
    More opportunities are coming ...:):
    Nice working weekthumb.gif
    Here is one I shot today with the lens.
    89410317-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    SpeshulEd wrote:
    Was in Chicago Friday ... and was hoping some of the warm up stuff. It was overcast all day, but I thought I could still get some pictures in...just as we got done eating, it started to rain. I gave up at that point and took a taxi back to the metra station.
    Also missed out on my hot air balloon ride because of the weather.
    Bummer about the hot-air balloon ride, but you never have to come back with an empty memory card ;-) ... even if you don't get to shoot what you thought you were going to shoot. Sometimes our best shots happened accidentally -- what's the old saying, "Luck is where preparation and opportunity meet"?

Heh, even Ansel Adams, famous for carefully planning and pre-visualizing every shot, didn't plan everything! One of his most famous images, Moonrise over Hernandez, occurred because another shot didn't work out, he was driving down the road at dusk, and just happened to see that scene out of his car window! He set up, didn't even have time to meter, guessed at the exposure (granted, relying on his considerable experience), and fired off the shot. By the time he could get another 8x10 negative plate ready, the lights on the town buildings had been turned off. ...And he ended up with one of his masterpieces (or at least, one of his most popular photos). [I just heard that story last month from a guide at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite, so the source is fairly reputable]

So if I plan to shoot one thing and it doesn't work out, I have to remind myself (all the time), "don't sweat it! Keep my eyes open for other opportunities that may pop up right under my nose!". Even if I don't get any great shots (and usually won't, esp at this stage), I continue to build experience, which will provide the "preparation" ingredient when some special "opportunity" pops up. ...At least, that's the theory :D.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited August 20, 2006
    Yeah, I'll admit I was being lazy, I hope to get back on track tomorrow though. I won't have those awesome shots of Chicago like I wanted, but I'll be going back soon enough and very shortly I'll be on my way to Toronto where there'll be a ton of cool photo opportunities.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    90872050-L.jpg

A random photo with the 70-200 IS
  • Options
    steeliejimsteeliejim Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2006
    70-200 f/4 is L

A random photo with the 70-200 IS

Was talking to a Canon rep about trying to find an original battery grip for an EOS 3 and got on the subject of the 70x200 f/2.8 and what a great lens it is. But I also expressed a bit of concerned about its bulk and weight and lugging it around all day. Soooo, I casually asked whether Canon would be bringing out an f/4 l version 70-200 lens with is. He said yes, soon, but did not have the date. Thought y'all might be interested. I am, so will hold out for a bit on the 2.8 until I hear more about the 4.0.

Jim
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    Yes, the 70-200 f/4 IS is announced
    steeliejim wrote:
    I casually asked whether Canon would be bringing out an f/4 l version 70-200 lens with is. He said yes, soon, but did not have the date.
    Sure, that lens was announced way back on Aug 24.

Here's a link to info: When it will be available is another question...

• Options
    steeliejimsteeliejim Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2006
    70-200mm f/4 l is vs the new f/4 version
    photobug wrote:
    Sure, that lens was announced way back on Aug 24.

Here's a link to info: When it will be available is another question...

Sorry, I guess you're way ahead of me. What do you think pros/cons compared to the f/2.8 version? I'll be gettting one or the other.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    steeliejim wrote:
    What do you think pros/cons compared to the f/2.8 version? I'll be gettting one or the other.
    I don't own either (yet), so am not really qualified to answer that question.

But as I understand it, that's like asking if you want the Mercedes S380 or the Mercedes S600 ... both are fine pieces of equipment (or, let's face it, TOYS), but one offers some additional features/luxury over the other (at a price).

Personally, I'd like to eventually have the 70-200 f/2.8 IS in my lens stable. But that's because I value the IS feature, and at times would really appreciate an extra stop or so below f/4 or f/4.5. I'm currently using a Sigma 80-400 OS, which if I recall is f/4.5-5.6 ... I'm very happy with the quality of the glass (sharpness & contrast), but faster glass would sure come in handy sometimes (and so would faster focusing ... can't figure why Sigma didn't use HSM focusing in a $999 lens).

• Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    I think that the lenses with wider aperture are always a better choise.
    May be Canon is doing the f4 because of the huge price of the f2.8 and getting a wider range of clients.

I am getting the 1.4 converter soon as a friend is bringing it to me from Macau with a better price than here, in Portugal.

Suppose you want to use it with the f4 version.
    You will loose the auto focus or some other feature of the lens...eek7.gif

I am not buying any other lens in the next years.
    If I would, I would only buy the widest ones.

My opinion. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
    edited September 8, 2006
    steeliejim wrote:
    Sorry, I guess you're way ahead of me. What do you think pros/cons compared to the f/2.8 version? I'll be gettting one or the other.

If you are trying to do night sports or indoor sports, you will appreciate the extra stop which allows twice the shutter speed. At some smaller football fields, I am at ISO 1600, f2.8 and either 1/125th or 1/60th. 1/60th is actually too slow, so I am looking at the Canon 135mm, f2L.

The other difference is the almost unquantifiable "bokeh" of the 70-200mm, f2.8L, which is somewhat better than the f4 version. I've used the zoom at 70mm as a portrait lens, and it works pretty well on a crop body.

It's awfully tempting to consider the Nikon 200mm, f2G IF-ED AF-S VR, which is a steal at $4000 or so. Almost worth another body. (Like I could really afford the lens anyway.rolleyes1.gif)

I would like to start a rumor that Canon is bringing back their 200mm, f2L in an IS version, but it's really just wishfull thinking.1drink.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    I think that the lenses with wider aperture are always a better choise.
    May be Canon is doing the f4 because of the huge price of the f2.8 and getting a wider range of clients.

I am getting the 1.4 converter soon as a friend is bringing it to me from Macau with a better price than here, in Portugal.

Suppose you want to use it with the f4 version.
    You will loose the auto focus or some other feature of the lens...eek7.gif

I am not buying any other lens in the next years.
    If I would, I would only buy the widest ones.

My opinion. thumb.gif
    The new 70-200 f/4 IS will probably be a very popular lens. It will be lighter than the 2.8 IS and it's IS is supposed to give you an added 4 stops instead of the 2 stops of the 2.8 IS. But remember that it will not increase your shutter speed so if you are trying to stop action then the IS does not really do to much for you.
    Also, you will still have use of AF when using a 1.4 TC on an f/4 lens. With a 1.4 TC you lose 1 stop of light, putting you at f/5.6 and all the canon cameras can AF with an f/5.6 lens. You will lose AF if you try to use the 2x TC though because you lose 2 stops of light putting you at f/8. Only the 1 series bodies can Af with an f/8 lens and then only through the center AF point.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2006
    I think that the lenses with wider aperture are always a better choice.
    Keep in mind that "better choice" is always subjective. What's "better" to one photographer might not be the best choice for another.

Are faster shutter speeds, minimum ISO, low-light ability, minimum depth of field, and/or ability to use a 2x teleconverter with AF of high priority? Then an f/2.8 lens is a better choice than an f/4 lens.

Are lower cost and minimum carry weight of high priority? Then an f/4 lens is probably a better choice than an f/2.8 lens.
    Maybe Canon is doing the f4 because of the huge price of the f2.8 and getting a wider range of clients.
    It's all about having a wide product portfolio, and giving customers what they want -- that is, what lenses Canon offers are based on business considerations.

The f/4 L lenses probably outsell the f/2.8 lenses 2-to-1, maybe more. They'e probably lower margin for Canon (esp the f/4L 70-200 @ $550) but higher volume. The non-"L" lenses probably outsell the L lenses by at least an order of magnitude.

For customers who need the performance that an f/2.8 lens offers and are willing to pay the $$ penalty and weight penalty, Canon offers that, too.

Bottom line: if Canon has "something for everyone", more of its customers' dollars go to Canon instead of to Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc, etc.

• Options
    edited September 9, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    The new 70-200 f/4 IS will probably be a very popular lens. It will be lighter than the 2.8 IS and it's IS is supposed to give you an added 4 stops instead of the 2 stops of the 2.8 IS. But remember that it will not increase your shutter speed so if you are trying to stop action then the IS does not really do to much for you.
    Also, you will still have use of AF when using a 1.4 TC on an f/4 lens. With a 1.4 TC you lose 1 stop of light, putting you at f/5.6 and all the canon cameras can AF with an f/5.6 lens. You will lose AF if you try to use the 2x TC though because you lose 2 stops of light putting you at f/8. Only the 1 series bodies can Af with an f/8 lens and then only through the center AF point.

Nick.
    Thank you. Useful and interest thread correcting be. Well done.clap.gif
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2006
    photobug wrote:
    Keep in mind that "better choice" is always subjective. What's "better" to one photographer might not be the best choice for another.

Are faster shutter speeds, minimum ISO, low-light ability, minimum depth of field, and/or ability to use a 2x teleconverter with AF of high priority? Then an f/2.8 lens is a better choice than an f/4 lens.

Are lower cost and minimum carry weight of high priority? Then an f/4 lens is probably a better choice than an f/2.8 lens.

It's all about having a wide product portfolio, and giving customers what they want -- that is, what lenses Canon offers are based on business considerations.

The f/4 L lenses probably outsell the f/2.8 lenses 2-to-1, maybe more. They'e probably lower margin for Canon (esp the f/4L 70-200 @ $550) but higher volume. The non-"L" lenses probably outsell the L lenses by at least an order of magnitude.

For customers who need the performance that an f/2.8 lens offers and are willing to pay the $$ penalty and weight penalty, Canon offers that, too.

Bottom line: if Canon has "something for everyone", more of its customers' dollars go to Canon instead of to Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc, etc.

clap.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2006
    A random photo at night with the 70-200 IS
    94368112-M.jpg
    Date Taken: 2006-09-10 20:28:45 Date Digitized: 2006-09-10 20:28:45 Date Modified: 2006-09-10 21:58:04 Make: Canon Model: Canon EOS 20D Size: 3779x2598 Bytes: 3997219 Aperture: f/7.1 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 200mm (guess: 195mm in 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.6s (6/10) Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program: Manual Exposure Bias: 0 ExposureMode: 1 White Balance: auto