Not happy with the challenge finalists

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, your first post was fine, just put in the wrong thread.
    Well, it wasn't. Expletives, half asterisked out, pointed at an individual, are not civil discourse.
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    i am also surprised the lightning shot didnt get in - but that is art - it is subjective.

as far as the two cigarette shots goes - the one that made it is obviously superior IMO. the framing and color selection and the trail of smoke are 10x as nice.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Well, it wasn't. Expletives, half asterisked out, pointed at an individual, are not civil discourse.

I was referring to his first first post. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    athos wrote:
    i am also surprised the lightning shot didnt get in - but that is art - it is subjective.

as far as the two cigarette shots goes - the one that made it is obviously superior IMO. the framing and color selection and the trail of smoke are 10x as nice.

I never had a cigarette do that! (At least from 26 years of experience smoking them!)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We'd love to hear new ways to improve the challenges. We crave the feedback. One idea that's been discussed many times, is that of choosing first amongst all entries, then having a final vote of the top 10. We don't do this, because simply, it's just too much work and effort for the volunteers that run the challenge. And it really complicates things. The general agreeement a while back was that moving to rotating judges has helped in the seletion process.

If you have more ideas, we'd love to hear them!

I think members voting on all of the contestants would take too long and would discourage some people from voting at all. The previous challenge had 70+ entries and there were so many great ones. I would have been hard-pressed to even select the top 10. IMO the winner is not important....it is the challenging of one's self to think up an idea and execute it and to view other's perception and subequent creativity. These challenges occur every 2 weeks and we need to be able to put the prior one behind so we can move on to the next! Rotating the judges is perfectly fair to me. I don't see any need for improvement. (Oh....and I haven't won a challenge yet, either! :D )
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Whoa!!! This is the first time I've seen drama on this board.

xin_46090201115160959243.jpg

Just remember, people view art differently. Whats good to one, isn't to another.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    It's suppose to be fun and to learn and to share experience ne_nau.gif
    Beaside tehnique, frameing, composition aso. the main quality of a photo is , IMHO, to be pleasant and therefore it is subjective.
    So let's move to the next Challenge.
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Some body help me out here. I have just gone over the entries into the challenge and there a bunch of excellent shots in there. I'm glad that I didn't have to choose 10 finalists, no matter which way you went you would have left out some excellent shots.

Even with the list narrowed down to 10 shots there's no "fair" way to say one shot is better than all the rest. When you vote the only thing you can do is pick the shot that appeals to your subjective taste.

Anytime you have a photo contest the end result won't be "fair". Its the nature of the beast. I've participated in the past in various challenges and contests. Each one was run differently and each was "unfair" in its own particular manner.

Why can't we just accept that any challenge of contest will not be "fair" and just live with it? No one's life has ever been changed by winning or losing one of these things.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:

You must be damn quick because that was edited out within seconds. Even I knew I'd crossed the line.
    edited July 25, 2006
    imax wrote:
    I never had a cigarette do that! (At least from 26 years of experience smoking them!)

it's a bunson burner, but that's not the issue at hand.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 25, 2006
    truth wrote:
    You must be damn quick because that was edited out within seconds. Even I knew I'd crossed the line.

Well, maybe there's hope then. 1drink.gif
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    There is no such thing as "fair" in any facet of life.....just someones idea of what it must be in order for things to work out for them. Sure there are general consensus interpretations of what fair is.....but there again only because a common interest is served. Looks like it all boils down to the number one human trait (IMO)......selfishness.

Now if anyone thinks these remarks are pointed at anyone in particular.....that's your agenda, not mine.
  • JerHocJerHoc Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I think members voting on all of the contestants would take too long and would discourage some people from voting at all. The previous challenge had 70+ entries and there were so many great ones. I would have been hard-pressed to even select the top 10. IMO the winner is not important....it is the challenging of one's self to think up an idea and execute it and to view other's perception and subequent creativity. These challenges occur every 2 weeks and we need to be able to put the prior one behind so we can move on to the next! Rotating the judges is perfectly fair to me. I don't see any need for improvement. (Oh....and I haven't won a challenge yet, either! :D )

Indeed!

Now, I have only participated in one challenge so far...and I lost miserably, which I was all good with. ;) That means that I keep trying! Now, I have time issues, so I don't get to participate as much as I'd like, but when I lose again, which I am sure I will, I shall take it with a grain of salt, figure out why the winners won and I didn't, and learn from it.

The idea of voting happening for all entries is great, very democratic, and unfortunately, I don't see it working. Way more work for people that don't have time, and aren't getting paid. /shrug Just my two cents. ;)

~Jer
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Feels like Andy and HarryB are verbally 'clubbing' me and truth. rolleyes1.gifAt least it is a more interesting discussion than 'All 10 finalists are great - I had trouble choosing'.

What I have not seen discussed, is the suggestion (seconded and thirded) to have anonymous posting of entries. Is it a technical pain? Not worth discussing becasue it has been suggested and rejected before? Or because it changes the spirit of community involvement? [that is not a bad thing]

My somewhat terse previous post was meant to explore the idea that subjective contests can be made more fair. Perhaps the PERCEPTION of fairness is what I really am addressing. I truly believe the judges are trying to be fair and impartial. But they are human. As a theoretical example - if an image is posted for critique by a long time grinner who has been trying to improve their technique, and 20 people comment on how great it is, are the judges immune to some sublimital influence by those opinions? I think not.

A note to Andy and other moderators: I apologize for any implied dishonesty or unfairness. I run a series of amateur bike races, and have set up a lot of rules to try to make everyone happy and be fair. But there are some people cannot get past their own narrow self interest, and it upsets me when they complain. Such is life. Thankfully there is lots of good beer to make it all better.1drink.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    As a theoretical example - if an image is posted for critique by a long time grinner who has been trying to improve their technique, and 20 people comment on how great it is, are the judges immune to some sublimital influence by those opinions? I think not.

I can't speak for anyone else who's judged the challenges, but when I did, I never looked at anything but the challenge thread. All of the other threads where people posted for comment was more work and more confusing to me than just looking at their submissions.

And no, I don't think anonymous would work, anyway. Then you couldn't even post your images for feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    win the challange

lose the challange

get comments

not get comments

post credit w/photo or not

ad naseaum

this is what some people concern themsleves with

Man I wish my life was that easy !! rolleyes1.gif1drink.gif1drink

You know if had anything to say about the Challange, I'd pull the Dang Thing. mwink.gif

Then some would probably lament as to why that happened ne_nau.gif1drink
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 25, 2006
    truth wrote:
    it's a bunson burner, but that's not the issue at hand.
    close, but not quite. kerosene tiki torch. Bunsen burners entrain plenty of excess air and rarely burn imcompletely. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    I agree with Davidto on that re anonymous, for the reason he gave.

I do think there is favoritism, sometimes in the voting. I have been a co judge, and I have never seen favoritism there.

I will somewhat vote for ..................well, I think, and it is only my opinion, but you know the academy awards where an actor didn't win for a great job in a great role and a year or so later wins for a lesser job, or so it appears.
    I think that kind of thing is less common here, in fact I cannot come up with an example, but that is not saying that couldn't happen. But it takes more than one vote to win. It takes more than one judge to choose the finalists.

It is very hard to choose. One time when I was involved, someone posted their shot on the "whip me" thing to find out what was wrong with his/hers and why it didn't get chosen. That was kind of inventive, but it couldn't tell him/her why
    it didn't get chosen. It just didn't, and it was a very good shot.

I don't see a better way, and I think the challenges are becoming more difficult as we have so many really good photographers here now. I will probably enter another one sometime, but I think my days are really over and I am better off staying away from it. I am very sensitive, if I work hard, and if I don't work hard...........well, that is not the point either.
    But I can't say what I will do in the future.

But I can say that probably all that was said here today has a grain of truth. Nothing, no one, is perfect. I don't know of a perfect system for most things.

The one thing that I can say is that I don't want to run the challenge, and until the day comes when I would run it, well, I don't even begin to want to tell other people how to run it.

Oh, as far as crtiques go, I have seen glowing critiques for shots that I did not think would be picked, and they weren't. When I was co judge, I stayed away from that stuff, I did not want to be swayed by that. They all stay away, as far as I know. I put my stuff up for critique often. If I am going to enter. Partly I enjoy the camaraderie, and partly, well, I have another reason.............but it doesn't have anything to do with the judges.
    And the suggestions may help me then and in the future.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Feels like Andy and HarryB are verbally 'clubbing' me and truth. rolleyes1.gifAt least it is a more interesting discussion than 'All 10 finalists are great - I had trouble choosing'.

What I have not seen discussed, is the suggestion (seconded and thirded) to have anonymous posting of entries. Is it a technical pain? Not worth discussing becasue it has been suggested and rejected before? Or because it changes the spirit of community involvement? [that is not a bad thing]

My somewhat terse previous post was meant to explore the idea that subjective contests can be made more fair. Perhaps the PERCEPTION of fairness is what I really am addressing. I truly believe the judges are trying to be fair and impartial. But they are human. As a theoretical example - if an image is posted for critique by a long time grinner who has been trying to improve their technique, and 20 people comment on how great it is, are the judges immune to some sublimital influence by those opinions? I think not.

A note to Andy and other moderators: I apologize for any implied dishonesty or unfairness. I run a series of amateur bike races, and have set up a lot of rules to try to make everyone happy and be fair. But there are some people cannot get past their own narrow self interest, and it upsets me when they complain. Such is life. Thankfully there is lots of good beer to make it all better.1drink.gif
    Tomas, no worries at all - we really crave the feedback. Thanks for that.

Anonymous won't work for two reasons: 1) the feedback prior to entering 2) the pita of matching up entries, etc.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    aren't you on vacation?! :D
    Andy wrote:
    Tomas, no worries at all - we really crave the feedback. Thanks for that.

Anonymous won't work for two reasons: 1) the feedback prior to entering 2) the pita of matching up entries, etc.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Andy, are you really on vacation?

Frankly, I'm OK with how it's run now even though I've never made the cut. Even so, what do you think about having the judges post a short blurb under each entry to quickly say why they didn't make the cut? Just something quick and to the point like "doesn't fit theme" or "subject lacks interest" or even "technical flaws."

Frankly, most photos that I see missing the top ten (my own shots included) do so because they seem off-topic, for lack of a better word. There were some shots submitted for this challenge that I couldn't find anything turbulent in.

Anyway, those are my two cents.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    All these cute kittens are wondering what the fuss is all about...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    imax wrote:

ive been smoking for too long (13 years here) and ive held my cigarette straight up and watched the smoke go straight up shortly before spreading out.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    All these cute kittens are wondering what the fuss is all about...
    Thats pretty clear mate...cat fight !!
    edited July 25, 2006
    JCDoss wrote:
    . Even so, what do you think about having the judges post a short blurb under each entry to quickly say why they didn't make the cut? Just something quick and to the point like "doesn't fit theme" or "subject lacks interest" or even "technical flaws."
    Wow, that sounds like a terrible idea to me (no offense :D) It would set us up for endless arguments with the judges, who have a tough enough job as is. As it stands, we only get into these spats on occasion. Be careful what you wish for.

Regards,
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 25, 2006
    I tried continuously for 18 months to win a contest before the system was changed to our current version and then I WON!!!! So CLEARLY the system is perfect, leave it alone!

rolleyes1.gif
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Has anyone noticed there is a war going on in this world? Kind of makes this "problem" seem a bit pointless. Oh my gosh, I didn't win......whatever.

:deadhorse
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited July 25, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    close, but not quite. kerosene tiki torch. Bunsen burners entrain plenty of excess air and rarely burn imcompletely. nod.gif

An after hours bunson burner!

What irked me most was that you cropped it out. Woulda been a stronger image with the torch in frame. Cropping it where you did the photo seems cut off. bah.
    edited July 25, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Has anyone noticed there is a war going on in this world? Kind of makes this "problem" seem a bit pointless. Oh my gosh, I didn't win......whatever.

:deadhorse

Same war they've been fighting since 1948.
    edited July 25, 2006
    A modest proposal
    I think the existing challenge method is pretty good and don't really see a great need to change it. But here's an alternative that might also work, providing that Dgrin's software could be customized to support it.

There would be a single round of voting. All submissions are eligible, as long as they meet the date range and other requirements, as determined by a judge. Each voter gets to select a first, second and third choice. These are assigned 3,2 and 1 points, respectively. At the conclusion of the voting period, the highest point total wins.

This system should satisfy those who feel that there is something undemocratic about the current first round. By letting voters express more than a single choice, it is likely to give a reasonable number of people some positive reinforcement. I suggested 3 choices to make participation relatively painless, but more could be granted if that's what people want.

This system almost eliminates the role of the judge, who really becomes a clerk. That would lighten the workload of the moderators, which is a good thing. On the other hand, some people (myself included) feel that having two accomplished photographers select the finalists adds value to the process. Democracy is not always the best solution to every problem.

Anyway, something to think about.