Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    S*E lets you control your thumbs (Thank you John!)
    Woohoo. Thanks for the quick response.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Woohoo. Thanks for the quick response.
    Thank you for pointing that out! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    New Star*Explorer version uploaded: 193
    Pro Sales result dialog: major facelift.
    You can now go directly to inidividual order page online or immediatly see or even locate any sold image on your hard drive (thanks David Wolf for the inspiration! thumb.gif )
    Also I realized that the new keys system screwed reports up a bit, so now it's fixed, too.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    New Star*Explorer version uploaded: 194
    Turned out I was not accurate enough last night: saving sales info to the database didn't work :bash.
    Thank you David Wolf again bowdown.gif for catching this!

Be aware: sales db structure has been modified a little to accommodate the current sales info format, so if you use some scripts against it please make sure they work OK or make the necessary corrections.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    New Star*Explorer version uploaded: 196
    New feature for the Full Text Search: miltiple items are allowed.
    Later I have been often asked for small copies of my runway images, which I don't have a problem giving aways, wince they all carry my logo and work as a free advertizing.
    However, locating those was realy a tedious task, even if the model knows the filename (usually in a standard form of IMG_1234).
    Now the situation is different. If someone asks me for images 1234, 2345, 3456 and 6789 all I have to do is to copy paste that comma separated list into the S*E's full text search box, check "use separator" box and hit OK. One-two seconds later S*E comes with the exact list of images, I hit "download images" button, specify the scale (usually L, or whatever I feel like), hit another OK - and then simply open the folder and send those small copies to the person who requested them.

Pro Sales Report logic improved
    I's been actually uploaded as "hidden" version 195 for a week or so, but now the change is officially in:-)
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sweet! Now, if you'd only do the other half of the pro sales stuff I asked for :)Laughing.gif

Thanks for a great program Nik!

David
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Sweet! Now, if you'd only do the other half of the pro sales stuff I asked for :)Laughing.gif

Thanks for a great program Nik!

David
    All in due time, my friend!:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! thumb.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

Sweet. I could have used it this week while preparing a presentation for work :) Now I have it for next time.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Sweet. I could have used it this week while preparing a presentation for work :) Now I have it for next time.
    Glad I'm not the one who's gonna use it! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    New Star*Explorer version uploaded: 198
    Thanks to Mr. David Wolf, bowdown.gif one nasty new text-search-related bug is now fixed! :ivar
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks to Mr. David Wolf, bowdown.gif one nasty new text-search-related bug is now fixed! :ivar
    Why do I feel like I'm the only bug-hunter around here? lol3.gif

David
  • Options
    stlracingstlracing Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    1. When creating a gallery or multiple galleries using Star Explorer, is there a way to choose your "saved" options from Smugmug for those galleries instead of selecting the options individually in Star Explorer?

2. when you want to download a list of galleries (I have literally hundreds of galleries), can you just choose a category or sub-category and only download those galleries from your Smugmug account? It can take Star Explorer 10+ minutes to download my entire list of galleries.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    stlracing wrote:
    1. When creating a gallery or multiple galleries using Star Explorer, is there a way to choose your "saved" options from Smugmug for those galleries instead of selecting the options individually in Star Explorer?

2. when you want to download a list of galleries (I have literally hundreds of galleries), can you just choose a category or sub-category and only download those galleries from your Smugmug account? It can take Star Explorer 10+ minutes to download my entire list of galleries.

1) not at the moment, sorry. However, you have your MRU set and one Default settings (also used for auto creation) saved locally
    2) As an owner of a Pro license you have an ability to download whatever set you want, including the whole account. Just select the tree root on the left. After that you can either download all or manually select whatever albums you choose.
    Once caveat: S*E must "know" about the galleries, so if you created some of them before or outside S*E please make sure you perform Get Albums first.
    HTH
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Once caveat: S*E must "know" about the galleries, so if you created some of them before or outside S*E please make sure you perform Get Albums first.
    HTH

That is what i was wanting to do, add one album with my saved settings through the web browser and then download just the album(s) for that sub-category where I created the album.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    stlracing wrote:
    That is what i was wanting to do, add one album with my saved settings through the web browser and then download just the album(s) for that sub-category where I created the album.
    Jimmy,
    I'm not sure I understand headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
    Getting/Getting info/Downloading the album would not import its setting into S*E if that's what you're after... "Get Albums" will only make S*E aware of its presence, no more, no less... And after than you can download images info or images themselves - again, no more, no less..
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2008
    I'm not downloading images at all...

I'm just looking for a faster way to update Star Explorer with the hundreds (or maybe even 1000+) galleries I have. When I click on GET ALBUMS, it downloads all of them. I'm just looking for a way for it to only download the ALBUMS in the SUB-CATEGORY that I'm viewing instead of downloading all ALBUMS (album titles I guess is the correct thing).

I guess the correct way to say it is for Star Explorer to only download NEW ALBUMS since the last time it downloaded ALBUMS.
  • Options
    shmorishmori Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    Lightroom, smugmug and Starexplorer
    How do I skip copying file to my disk while exporting photographs to star explorer. I want to keep raw images on my computer as is without making another set of images in JPEG. Star explorer is integrate with the lightroom export tool. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • Options
    bssmithbssmith Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2008
    Replacing existing files - two unexpected results
    I'm seeing two unexpected results when I upload files to the same SmugMug gallery.

1. I uploaded a set of ~90 images (using StarExplorer) a few weeks ago. I've made some changes to my local (master) versions of the files by revising the Description field using my local XMP/IPTC editor (this is the field that appears underneath each image as the Caption in SmugMug's "smugmug" gallery style). I save off the revised local copies and confirm that the new information is now embedded in the new version of the file as expected.

Then, I use StarExplorer to upload these revised files. All of the files upload as expected, with the StarExplorer log showing that each file has been replaced on SmugMug. However, an initial clue that something is wrong: the SmugMug-side upload log shows that nothing was just uploaded (no errors, no successes - nothing).

When I then login to SmugMug to look at the replaced images, it's the old Captions that appear, not the revised Captions. I'm guessing that a) the image and the metadata are stored separately on SmugMug and that an image replacement does not mean that the metadata will also be replaced; b) maybe there's some sort of time lag regarding when metadata is refreshed following an image replacement - but 12 hours later, no change; or c) I've goofed up this process somehow.

Here's an [edited] example of the StarExplorer log for one of the files:
    Started TWiddle-Dee: replacing 8158-071.jpg as image [image number]
    Finished TWiddle-Dee: replacing 8158-071.jpg as image [image number] (0:01:06)

And at the bottom of the same log entry:
    Upload results (DGrin format):
    Replacing image: [image number]
    1: 8158-071:
    http://[site name].smugmug.com/photos/[image number]_[image key]-XL.jpg

Looks like the replacement was a replacement to the XL version, not the O (original) version - maybe a clue? Perhaps the metadata is culled from the O version, and if the O version has not been replaced, then there's nothing for the SmugMug server to update re the metadata.

2. Same process as above, except this is with another set of ~20 images, headed to the same gallery to replace the ~20 older versions already there. I update the local metadata and prep the files to be uploaded via StarExplorer. However, StarExplorer chokes on each of these files, with the error "RPC-XML: system error (invalid image id) (5)". Nothing is uploaded, the older files remain on SmugMug. Even curiouser, when I delete the ~20 images from SmugMug (using SmugMug's own interface) and try to upload them again with StarExplorer, I get the very same error.

Wondering if the issue here is some time lag between the time when images are deleted from the server, and the API interface knows about it. I gave up after a couple of hours of playing with it, and today (over 12 hours later) I'm still seeing the same symptoms.

In case this is relevant, I used .190 for the initial uploads but when I ran into these issues, I upgraded to .198 (where both problems persist). Thanks!

-- Ben
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    bssmith wrote:
    I'm seeing two unexpected results when I upload files to the same SmugMug gallery.

1. I uploaded a set of ~90 images (using StarExplorer) a few weeks ago. I've made some changes to my local (master) versions of the files...

[...]

When I then login to SmugMug to look at the replaced images, it's the old Captions that appear, not the revised Captions.
    Re this issue, SmugMug support has confirmed that there is a server-side problem/bug (see thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=92429).

Issue number 2 is still an open mystery.

-- Ben
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2008
    Video Download Bug?
    Howdy-

So here is the situation, and I am glad I tried it out first so no data was lost.
    • I was travelling for work and needed to get some info back to the office.
    • I made some AVI videos with my PowerShot.
    • I uploaded the AVI videos using DevBobo's SmugMug MacDaddy Uploader
    • Everything worked fine.
    • I returned from my business trip and wanted to use Star*Explorer to update my local copy of my SmugMug stuff.
    • I downloaded the Gallery including the videos using Star*Explorer running in virtualization under VMWare Fusion.

Videos downloaded but do not play on the Mac or the Windows side. Windows says the file is corrupt, Mac plays for 1 sec as a static image.headscratch.gif The original videos play fine on both platform.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Rob Greer PhotographyRob Greer Photography Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    I was/am evaluating this software today and discovered that the "Clean" option setting is not working. Even though the check box is selected in S*E, the radio button is not selected in my gallery.

To be honest, I don't have time to work with software that has holes on even the most basic functions so I'm hopeful that I'm missing something here. I'm not going to dig into this further until I hear an answer on this one.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    I was/am evaluating this software today and discovered that the "Clean" option setting is not working. Even though the check box is selected in S*E, the radio button is not selected in my gallery.

To be honest, I don't have time to work with software that has holes on even the most basic functions so I'm hopeful that I'm missing something here. I'm not going to dig into this further until I hear an answer on this one.
    I just tested this feature, and it works just fine. Make sure there is a CHECK MARK and not just a green square. It'll work just fine.

S*E is a great piece of software. Highly recommended. Feel free to use this code: 9TF97662D5032041V as your referral code :)

David
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    stlracing wrote:
    I'm not downloading images at all...

I'm just looking for a faster way to update Star Explorer with the hundreds (or maybe even 1000+) galleries I have. When I click on GET ALBUMS, it downloads all of them. I'm just looking for a way for it to only download the ALBUMS in the SUB-CATEGORY that I'm viewing instead of downloading all ALBUMS (album titles I guess is the correct thing).

I guess the correct way to say it is for Star Explorer to only download NEW ALBUMS since the last time it downloaded ALBUMS.

Oh got it.
    It's actually been on my list for years. But since there is no "last updated" album timestamp provided by SM server, partial get may lead to some very nasty sync issues. I have ~2,400 galleries, I operate on several machines, so I have to sync quite often hence I know the pain, BUT those issues can be way worse than that...
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    shmori wrote:
    How do I skip copying file to my disk while exporting photographs to star explorer. I want to keep raw images on my computer as is without making another set of images in JPEG. Star explorer is integrate with the lightroom export tool. Thanks for your help in advance.

Sorry, I don't use LR, you gotta ask Mike Sullivan, script's original author. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    bssmith wrote:
    Re this issue, SmugMug support has confirmed that there is a server-side problem/bug (see thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=92429).

Issue number 2 is still an open mystery.

-- Ben
    Ben,
    once you import the image info it stays in a local cache even if you delete original images from SM or your HDD. I *think* if you redo "get image info" it should remove those that were deleted, but I'm not sure about it right now.
    In any case it looks like a temp glitch, hopefully it's gone by now.
    Another thing to do is to temprarily disaple quick check. This way S*E would always upload files as new without trying to replace them.
    HTH
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008

What David said. deal.gif

All the checkboxes in this dialog are tri-state, not dual-state.

The reason for this is that SM API uses "tri-logic" (also known as "database boolean") hence any boolean parameter has three possible value: on, off and unknown/default/not set. If parameter is set to default (green square) I don't even pass it to SM, thus providing you with a little extra gain in traffic.

HTH
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    Howdy-

So here is the situation, and I am glad I tried it out first so no data was lost.
    • I was travelling for work and needed to get some info back to the office.
    • I made some AVI videos with my PowerShot.
    • I uploaded the AVI videos using DevBobo's SmugMug MacDaddy Uploader
    • Everything worked fine.
    • I returned from my business trip and wanted to use Star*Explorer to update my local copy of my SmugMug stuff.
    • I downloaded the Gallery including the videos using Star*Explorer running in virtualization under VMWare Fusion.
    Videos downloaded but do not play on the Mac or the Windows side. Windows says the file is corrupt, Mac plays for 1 sec as a static image.headscratch.gif The original videos play fine on both platform.

Brad,

AFAIK, unlike stills images, SM does not store original video, but always converts it to something else internally (please see SM help on this).
    Hence you are getting the results of that conversion, which is most likely incompatible with your software...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Rob Greer PhotographyRob Greer Photography Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    All the checkboxes in this dialog are tri-state, not dual-state.

Yep. That was it. FYI, I found that kind of confusing (and I'm VP of a software development company). If the check box is selected (even though it's gray), I assume that the value is == on.

Two more questions ...

1. Is there a way to restrict the "Largest Size" to XLarge?

2. Is there a way to save the Password Question so I don't have to type the same question each time? Apparently those fields are not saved as part of the default set. For my purposes, my password hints are often "What is the bride's first name? (lowercase only)" It would be nice to not type that question each time I upload a new gallery.

3. Is there a way to delete an album via the S*E interface?

I'm happy to see that this thread is very active ... :)
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2008
    Yep. That was it. FYI, I found that kind of confusing (and I'm VP of a software development company). If the check box is selected (even though it's gray), I assume that the value is == on.
    Originally (before XP) this neutral state was shown as semi-disabled-grayish-looking check-mark, so it was a very natural UI choice.
    Then came XP..ne_nau.gif
    Two more questions ...
    1. Is there a way to restrict the "Largest Size" to XLarge?
    Currently - not. I still didn't advance to the most recent API version. But I will:-) For now you'd have to go through SM web UI.
    2. Is there a way to save the Password Question so I don't have to type the same question each time? Apparently those fields are not saved as part of the default set. For my purposes, my password hints are often "What is the bride's first name? (lowercase only)" It would be nice to not type that question each time I upload a new gallery.
    I'll double-check, but again, the question was not the part of the original API. So, I'm afraid, currently it's not an option, but as soon as I update to 1.2x I'll sure surface it.
    3. Is there a way to delete an album via the S*E interface?
    Technically - yes, but it's been my policy since day one to not allow any destructive actions through S*E for pure liability purposes. You know, delete one - delete selection - delete category... Last thing I want is a phone call from SM telling me some mom cleared all her account just because she didn't bother to read warning dialogs...mwink.gif
    I'm happy to see that this thread is very active ... :)
    Actually, something's happened to my subscription to this thread, I'm usually faster than that. I renewed the subscription, but for the future references email is the most reliable way to contact me. deal.gif

HTH

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ben,
    once you import the image info it stays in a local cache even if you delete original images from SM or your HDD. I *think* if you redo "get image info" it should remove those that were deleted, but I'm not sure about it right now.
    In any case it looks like a temp glitch, hopefully it's gone by now.
    Another thing to do is to temprarily disaple quick check. This way S*E would always upload files as new without trying to replace them.
    HTH
    Thanks for the ideas, Nik. I don't have the "Get Images Info" option available in my Tools menu - I am a Standard user, and maybe this is a Power feature. If you can confirm that this problem will definitely go away for me when I upgrade, I will upgrade to Power (unless I need to go all the way up to Professional - let me know).

I'll temporarily disable quick check for this batch as you suggested - but I won't be able to do this each time. There will be SmugMug comments attached to each of these photos over time, and the ability to replace the photo (with a new version that has updated metadata) but keep the SmugMug comments is essential for me. But for now, that's the SmugMug issue I mentioned, still an open issue with them.

Best,

-- Ben