Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    voicelit wrote:
    When resizing , all my IPTC info is lost _ or at least, no longer uploads as an auto caption. Have to add caption.
    Overwrite, skip, use existing, unique : all wipe out my iptc.
    Isn't there a way to resize and just leave the naming etc alone ?

marty (dotfur.com)

Yes, that is correct.
    I will try to address this issue in the future, but as of now the resized copies are "dumb" ones with no EXIF/IPTC info attached to them.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    RobotDudeRobotDude Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2008
    S*E Manual?
    Hi, I'm a new user of SmugMug and I am looking at S*E to upload my photos. One thing I have not been able to find is a manual or detailed notes on how to effectively use S*E. As uploading to SmugMug takes a while, I don't want to spend time experimenting to workout how to use S*E. Can anyone help?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2008
    RobotDude wrote:
    Hi, I'm a new user of SmugMug and I am looking at S*E to upload my photos. One thing I have not been able to find is a manual or detailed notes on how to effectively use S*E. As uploading to SmugMug takes a while, I don't want to spend time experimenting to workout how to use S*E. Can anyone help?headscratch.gif
    Uhm, there is a HowTo section on the site itself.
    Otherwise I suggest you ask specific question.
    Upload is really simple: you create an album or select an existing one, drag and drop the images to it and hit green Upload button. You can "queue" mutiple albums, too.
    Once you get your feet wet, you'll discover more advanced stuff...
  • Options
    RobotDudeRobotDude Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2008
    SmugMug outages
    Perhap due to the recent SmugMug outages, 3 and counting in the last couple of weeks, perhaps you need to add some code to check that the site is available before any uploads are attempted! Just kidding....:D
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    RobotDude wrote:
    Perhap due to the recent SmugMug outages, 3 and counting in the last couple of weeks, perhaps you need to add some code to check that the site is available before any uploads are attempted! Just kidding....:D
    Yeah, today was something wasn't it...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    waynedsargentwaynedsargent Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    files
    Am I understanding that if you structure pictures in the files I can drag it over and the se will make all the galleries for me.

like:

events
    tourney----game 1
    game 2
    game 3

how would i structure my files to do this properly
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    Am I understanding that if you structure pictures in the files I can drag it over and the se will make all the galleries for me.
    like:
    events
    tourney----game 1
    game 2
    game 3

how would i structure my files to do this properly

Yes, that is correct.
    In your particualr scenario, I would do this:
    1. Launch S*E
    2. Have/create Category "Events"
    3. Have/create Subcategory "Turney"
    4. If this is NOT a brand new subcategory make sure no album is selected in the album list. If something is selected, simply navigate to any other lcoation in the tree and then go back to "Turney"
    5. Have your folders "Game 1", etc ready and populated with some valid images (e.g. jpegs). They can contain subfolders, that's OK.
    6. In Windows Explorer (or in Adobe Bridge, or in any other drag-n-drop compatible software) select all those "game nnn" folders and drag them to S*E
    7. S*E will queue both albums (they will display as empty folders) and images. You can rename galleries before the creation (F2 on the gallery) and specify their common properties (Tools|Default Albums Settings, F11)
    8. Hit Upload button.
    That's it!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    sweet...mwink.gif the auto gallery doesnt have the option to set the style to like black and white?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    sweet...mwink.gif the auto gallery doesnt have the option to set the style to like black and white?
    I don't beleive it's in API, at least in the 1.x ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    when resizing
    it rotates images why? and how do I stop it?ne_nau.gif I sent you an email earlier about the forbidden file error. It was because the file name had a period in it e.g. gardiner v. waterville001.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    it rotates images why? and how do I stop it?ne_nau.gif
    Uhm, apparently basic GDI+ API that I use don't care about the orientation flag and only operates on a real image dimensions. ne_nau.gif
    I promise I will look at it in the future, in the mean time I think you have two choices:
    1) ensure the rotation is actually applied to the original image (jpeg), OR
    2) rotate them in SM after via web UI (it's a fairly fast batch operation, esp on a smaller resized files
    HTH
  • Options
    populuspopulus Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    SE for Smugvault
    1. Does Star*Explorer work for uploading .dng files to Smugvault?
    2. If so, is there any way to avoid duplicate uploads if the upload is interrupted. For example, with Simple Uploader, you can't tell what files are already uploaded. What is badly needed for Smugvault to work is for Star*Explorer (or some other application) to be able to synchronize local archives with Smugvault archives. Can this be done?
    My Smugmug Site: photos.kimmerer.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    populus wrote:
    1. Does Star*Explorer work for uploading .dng files to Smugvault?
    Yes, as long as you have active Vault account and file size is less than 512Mb
    2. If so, is there any way to avoid duplicate uploads if the upload is interrupted. For example, with Simple Uploader, you can't tell what files are already uploaded. What is badly needed for Smugvault to work is for Star*Explorer (or some other application) to be able to synchronize local archives with Smugvault archives. Can this be done?
    Same duplicates verification logic applies to vault files as with the regular images files.
    One important note: at this point there is no way to obtain meta information on Vault files, so this dups verification feature would only work for files that were uploaded using local copy of S*E (this way meta info is stored automatically upon each successfull upload)
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, as long as you have active Vault account and file size is less than 512Mb

Same duplicates verification logic applies to vault files as with the regular images files.
    One important note: at this point there is no way to obtain meta information on Vault files, so this dups verification feature would only work for files that were uploaded using local copy of S*E (this way meta info is stored automatically upon each successfull upload)

Thanks for the quick help, Nikolai. Can you clarify the latter point ? If I run S*E on my local machine, meta is stored by S*E? Isn't all the meta in the .dng? What meta does S*E use to check for dupes? If I use another uploader for some files, will S*E be unable to check for dupes (I only ask because I already loaded some files with Simple Uploader).

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    populus wrote:
    Thanks for the quick help, Nikolai. Can you clarify the latter point ? If I run S*E on my local machine, meta is stored by S*E? Isn't all the meta in the .dng? What meta does S*E use to check for dupes? If I use another uploader for some files, will S*E be unable to check for dupes (I only ask because I already loaded some files with Simple Uploader).

Thanks!

No, no that's different meta data...
    When S*E does upload, it records certain information in its own database. For regular files and account structure (categoreis, etc.) it can also obtain that information directly from SM at any point later.
    However, Vault data is not surfaced for such later queries yet (AFAIK), so the only way for S*E to know that you have uploaded file xyz.dng to the album ABC is, well, to upload it.
    So, answering your second question: yes, if you upload a Vault file via any other tool, S*E will have no idea it has been already uploaded and will not henceforth take any duplicate-related actions. ne_nau.gif
    You can, of course, use MS Access (or any similar tool) and modify S*E's database directly, but if you already have dozens (or more) of files in Vault that can be tedious and error-prone job... :cry
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    No, no that's different meta data...
    When S*E does upload, it records certain information in its own database. For regular files and account structure (categoreis, etc.) it can also obtain that information directly from SM at any point later.
    However, Vault data is not surfaced for such later queries yet (AFAIK), so the only way for S*E to know that you have uploaded file xyz.dng to the album ABC is, well, to upload it.
    So, answering your second question: yes, if you upload a Vault file via any other tool, S*E will have no idea it has been already uploaded and will not henceforth take any duplicate-related actions. ne_nau.gif
    You can, of course, use MS Access (or any similar tool) and modify S*E's database directly, but if you already have dozens (or more) of files in Vault that can be tedious and error-prone job... :cry

Thanks, Nkolai, for the quick response. It might be quicker for me to delete the non-S*E files and reload them in S*E. I have been a bit frustrated by some of the other uploaders, in that you can never tell whether they actually have completed a task properly.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    populus wrote:
    Thanks, Nkolai, for the quick response. It might be quicker for me to delete the non-S*E files and reload them in S*E. I have been a bit frustrated by some of the other uploaders, in that you can never tell whether they actually have completed a task properly.
    Just don't do it on a weekend:-)mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Nikolai -

Is is normal to have lots of timeouts? I have a fairly fast cable connection, and a new router. Checks by my service provider show no errors. Below is a snip of a log. Uploading seems very slow, but this is my first time using S*E, and I am uploading .dng files.

Log:
    :50:34: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016
    2:52:34: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016 (0:02:00)
    2:52:34: The operation timed out
    2:52:34: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016
    2:52:34: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #2
    2:55:19: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #2 (0:02:45)
    2:55:19: The operation timed out
    2:55:19: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #3
    2:55:24: Finished TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016 (0:02:50)
    2:55:24: The operation timed out
    2:55:24: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #2
    2:58:01: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #3 (0:02:42)
    2:58:01: The operation timed out
    2:58:01: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #4
    2:58:13: Finished TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #2 (0:02:49)
    2:58:13: The operation timed out
    2:58:13: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #3
    3:00:42: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #4 (0:02:41)
    3:00:42: The operation timed out
    3:00:42: Started TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #5
    3:00:56: Finished TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #3 (0:02:43)
    3:00:56: The operation timed out
    3:00:56: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #4
    3:03:23: Finished TWiddle-Dee: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0579.dng to album 5508016, attempt #5 (0:02:41)
    3:03:23: The operation timed out
    3:03:23:
    3:03:23: TWiddle-Dee: 3 out of 6119: Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0582.dng
    3:03:23:
    3:03:24: The handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation
    3:03:24: Finished TSEUploadThread (0:12:51)
    3:03:39: Finished TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #4 (0:02:43)
    3:03:39: The operation timed out
    3:03:39: Started TWiddle-Dum: uploading Pinnacle-WilmoreMeet-0580.dng to album 5508016, attempt #5
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    populus wrote:
    Nikolai -
    Is is normal to have lots of timeouts? I have a fairly fast cable connection, and a new router. Checks by my service provider show no errors. Below is a snip of a log. Uploading seems very slow, but this is my first time using S*E, and I am uploading .dng files.
    DNG files are usually much bigger than plain jpegs, so if your connection is not up to the task these things are fairly possible. ne_nau.gif
    Please go to Options, Connection (the very 1st tab), Error handling, set the timeout to 600, rest of the group to 0.
  • Options
    asheppashepp Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Bulk Upload Help from Lightroom
    Hi Folks, I have my photos arranged by year / shoot in Lightroom.
    e.g.
    2008/Wedding Party

Plan is to use the year as category and shoot as album name.

I have about 20K pictures I'm preparing to upload by year to Smugmug using Star Explorer and trying to find a non-manual way of exporting the images into Star Explorer, preferably creating the albums automagically.

I've looked at the instructions on the star explorer site:
    http://www.starexplorer.com/SE_FAQ.htm#Can_S*E_integrate_with_Adobe_Lightroom

and it works but I have to do each album sepately by hand.

I've tried another plugin :
    http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/lightroom-smugmug/

but I get the FormatMessageW failed error message

Finally I looked at Rob Coles Treesynch plugin, but realized it's for the 2.0 lightroom beta only not 1.4

It does however do what I think I want...exports images from lightroom while preserving the folder structure, thus allowing me to drag and drop the 2008 album into star explorer which would then create the albums right ???

Appreciate any help on bulk uploading here.

Thanks
    Adam.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    ashepp wrote:
    Hi Folks, I have my photos arranged by year / shoot in Lightroom.
    e.g.
    2008/Wedding Party

Plan is to use the year as category and shoot as album name.

I have about 20K pictures I'm preparing to upload by year to Smugmug using Star Explorer and trying to find a non-manual way of exporting the images into Star Explorer, preferably creating the albums automagically.

I've looked at the instructions on the star explorer site:
    http://www.starexplorer.com/SE_FAQ.htm#Can_S*E_integrate_with_Adobe_Lightroom

and it works but I have to do each album sepately by hand.

I've tried another plugin :
    http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/lightroom-smugmug/

but I get the FormatMessageW failed error message

Finally I looked at Rob Coles Treesynch plugin, but realized it's for the 2.0 lightroom beta only not 1.4

It does however do what I think I want...exports images from lightroom while preserving the folder structure, thus allowing me to drag and drop the 2008 album into star explorer which would then create the albums right ???

Appreciate any help on bulk uploading here.

Thanks
    Adam.

Adam,
    now you have the images exported from LR into files/folders, there rest is easy. thumb.gif
    Check the S*E "How To.." section online about Auto Album Creation. It may require a bit of a getting used to, but once you get it it's really easy.
    Shoot me an email if you get stuck..
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    Thanks Nikolai but I don't think this is going to work for me as by photos are all in raw.
    I thnk I need a way to export from lightroom while maintaing the folder structure to end up with the jpegs that I can drag and drop into star Explorer, much like treesynch....any ideas?
    Nikolai wrote:
    Adam,
    now you have the images exported from LR into files/folders, there rest is easy. thumb.gif
    Check the S*E "How To.." section online about Auto Album Creation. It may require a bit of a getting used to, but once you get it it's really easy.
    Shoot me an email if you get stuck..
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    ashepp wrote:
    Thanks Nikolai but I don't think this is going to work for me as by photos are all in raw.
    I thnk I need a way to export from lightroom while maintaing the folder structure to end up with the jpegs that I can drag and drop into star Explorer, much like treesynch....any ideas?

Did you read about SmugVault? You can use S*E to upload your raws, too.

As to the export from LR into the folders - I'm not a fan/guru of LR, but I know it can be done (called "Export" or something).
    And once it's done, S*E can take care of the rest. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    For now I've resorted to trying to just export one folder at a time and manually try and assign them to an album in Star Explorer. However, I'm still having issues.

It seems if I just pick 1-3 images and export with the automatic launch of star explorer the images are succesfully loaded into Star Explorer for upload.

However, if I select say 20 images then nothing happens after the images are converted...i.e. Star Explorer doesnt launch.

Has anyone seen something similar ? I'm running on 64bit vista.

Nikolai wrote:
    Did you read about SmugVault? You can use S*E to upload your raws, too.

As to the export from LR into the folders - I'm not a fan/guru of LR, but I know it can be done (called "Export" or something).
    And once it's done, S*E can take care of the rest. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2008
    ashepp wrote:
    For now I've resorted to trying to just export one folder at a time and manually try and assign them to an album in Star Explorer. However, I'm still having issues.

It seems if I just pick 1-3 images and export with the automatic launch of star explorer the images are succesfully loaded into Star Explorer for upload.

However, if I select say 20 images then nothing happens after the images are converted...i.e. Star Explorer doesnt launch.

Has anyone seen something similar ? I'm running on 64bit vista.

Adam,
    why don't you try to have S*E launched first? LR+Vista+64 is already a recipe for any kind of weird behaiour, cut S*E some slack;-) mwink.gif

Really, auto lauch is a small potato. I use it sometimes (from bridge) when I'm like really lazy and only have a couple of files to deal with, but in most cases I simply launch S*E first, since this way I can preconfigure which album or category the stuff goes to.

Just make sure you can export your images from LR "catalog" to files, and then simply do old good drag and drop, it won't take longer than a few seconds of your time - once per upload...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2008
    Invalid Album ID Error (5)
    ATTENTION:
    Starting early last week (first case on Aug 5th 2008) several S*E users reported impossibility of the upload, each file upload failing with error 5. The problem seems to be server-side and random, only few accounts are affected. All other operations seem to be unaffected, only upload is rolleyes1.gif

At this point SM R&D team was able to resolve some of the cases, but the issue is still at large. If you experience it please do the following:

1) do not try to "force" the upload by retrying it. If you "got it", it won't go away in five minutes :-(
    2) send an email to S*E support stating you have acquired it.
    3) as much as I hate to say it, the only known workaround is to use one of the stadard uploaders. ne_nau.gif

I will continue to communicate with SM team and hopefully soon the situation will be back to normal.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Could this in any way have something to do with another thread I recently saw about the need to change the cname, etc. Didn't know if it sends the file to nickname.smugmug.com or for pros nickname.com or something. I now very little about this, but just thought since you have to enter your nickname, etc in the account fields. Since I have a couple accounts I have to switch accounts and reenter some of this info that is why I thought of it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    bham wrote:
    Could this in any way have something to do with another thread I recently saw about the need to change the cname, etc. Didn't know if it sends the file to nickname.smugmug.com or for pros nickname.com or something. I now very little about this, but just thought since you have to enter your nickname, etc in the account fields. Since I have a couple accounts I have to switch accounts and reenter some of this info that is why I thought of it.
    Devbobo thinks it has something to do with the session management on the server side, R&D guys will be looking for it.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    Invalid Album ID Error (5) nightmare is over
    According to SM R&D notification and first customers confrimations, this issue is "no mo". clap.gif
    Please let me know asap if you still experiencing it! deal.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2008
    600+ customers and 150,000+ hits
    Not a bad count for a one-man army :ivar
    Many thanks to all the patrons and supporters! bowdown.gif