Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2009
    Okay so I went to go and try, and I am a little stumped, or am over thinking stuff. How do I launch it with /debug=1? I created a short cut and have the target set at or is that incorrect?

And if I am doing it right, how do I browse?
    Yes.
    Once you launch it that way you will notice a change in queue area :-)
    It's very raw still, so please be gentle:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Beta version 203 uploaded
    EDIT: 202 had a serious bug in Thumbnail mode, better get 203 fast:-)
    • No need for /debug=1 command line parameter anymore.
      I suggest to remove it since it's easy to stumble on some other construction mess with it present.
    • More toolbar commands in new Images pane, as well as some in popup menu. Including - finally! - export in dgrin format :ivar . Simply select the images you want to make a post about and click export button (or select context menu command) conveniently marked as [ I M G ] :-). S*E even remembers in which order you selected your images, so they will appear in that exact order.deal.gif
    • Other commands include: open locally, open online, reveal in explorer
    At this point a lot of stuff is still hard-coded and not persistent. Sorting is not support yet, it's not a trivial thing with a virtual list view. Imagine sorting through the whole category... And yes, you can view images for several albums, or even by cat/subcat or through the whole account(!) - that is, if you have Pro S*E edition. Be careful however: it may take some time, and if your local cached image info is not in sync, the results could be disappointing... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2009
    Beta version 204 uploaded
    Added some niceties, fixed a few glitches. The two big issues left before this becomes a GR (general release) are 1) sorting and 2) configuration (custom settings, some persistence, thumbnail cache management, etc.).
    AFAICT this version is pretty stable, so please give it whurl and let me know what you think.

And no, I'm not gonna provide a link, you must be able to figure it out to play with the beta. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    Beta version 206 uploaded
    • Worked around a nasty bug (bug was in Windows actually!) with shift-selection in image list
    • Get Image Info (for albums and such) now automatically downloads thumbnails, so images will be faster to preview
    • You can download images (and predownload thumbnails) info for selected images only, too.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2009
    Question?
    Howdy-

Is is possible to use one license of S*E with multiple SmugMug accounts?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    Howdy-
    Is is possible to use one license of S*E with multiple SmugMug accounts?
    Of course! That's what Extra licenses are for! You'd have to switch between accounts, but other than that it's been there since early 2005...
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    Hmm time to go do some testing... I am sure I will be stumped again and will have to ask more questions :)
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited January 10, 2009
    Hmm time to go do some testing... I am sure I will be stumped again and will have to ask more questions :)
    Brad, to test it you would need a trial license and its inherent ability to switch the accounts manually.
    Just trust me, it works:-)
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brad, to test it you would need a trial license and its inherent ability to switch the accounts manually.
    Just trust me, it works:-)

I trust you, I am not always sure that I can get it to work :)
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited January 16, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.207 uploaded
    Image Browsing Is Out of Beta! wings.gif

Pro/Power only.

Pro S*E users can even browse across albums, categories or the whole account.
    Thumbnails are downloaded on demand, or you can precache them by requesting Image Info first.

Making posts to dgrin and other VB-type forums is now a snap - just select some images and click the button, or select context menu command.

S*E can also "match" uploaded image to it's original, immediately showing it in the preview windows, and allowing locating it in Explorer or opening it in your favorite editor.

Check the Options for the new Thumbnails tab, it alows for some customization.

Sorry, sorting is not there yet, but I thought I'd roll out the primary functionality. mwink.gif

Enjoy! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.209 uploaded
    1. Major upload speed performance boost, 200%..300%, sometimes more. eek7.gifdeal.gifwings.gif
      The new Boost mode is set to engage automaticaly, but, as always, you can control this behaviour via Options and initiate it manually from Process menu.
    2. Nice facelift to the Upload Queue area. You will love new vertical toolbar and direct access to Online Dups logic. mwink.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    1. Major upload speed performance boost, 200%..300%, sometimes more. eek7.gifdeal.gifwings.gif
      The new Boost mode is set to engage automaticaly, but, as always, you can control this behaviour via Options and initiate it manually from Process menu.
    2. Nice facelift to the Upload Queue area. You will love new vertical toolbar and direct access to Online Dups logic. mwink.gifclap.gif

What did you do to get the performance boost?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    What did you do to get the performance boost?
    I can tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya :-)mwink.gif
    And in fact sometimes it's 1,000% (10x faster) wings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I can tell ya, but I'd have to kill ya :-)mwink.gif
    And in fact sometimes it's 1,000% (10x faster) wings.gif

Decent benchmark average test: x4.1 times performance increase (~30 files, ~30Mb, now under 1 min instead of former 4 min). Of course YMMV :-)
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.211 uploaded
    • New: improved boost mode (reliable auto entry/autoexit)
    • Fixed: full text search was bombing on a ImageID search
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2009
    What have I been missing.
    I think I'm using the original version which has been flawless.
    Where and how do I get these updates???
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    What have I been missing.
    I think I'm using the original version which has been flawless.
    Where and how do I get these updates???
    Laughing.gif,
    still with version #1 John? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Get x.211 from www.starexplorer.com and enjoy the fastest upload speed on the market clap.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Laughing.gif,
    still with version #1 John? mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Get x.211 from www.starexplorer.com and enjoy the fastest upload speed on the market clap.gif

so when are you going to upgrade to json and a newer api version so everything else is faster as well ? mwink.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    so when are you going to upgrade to json and a newer api version so everything else is faster as well ? mwink.gif
    Laughing.gif it's in the drafts
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.212 uploaded
    • Video extensions bug fixed
    • You can now control how thumbnails are downloaded en masse. By default fast upload doesn't do it anymore.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Hey Nik:

Is star*explorer 64-bit compatible? Looks like I'll be using XP 64 soon.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Hey Nik:

Is star*explorer 64-bit compatible? Looks like I'll be using XP 64 soon.
    At this point it's still Win32 app, but I have several guys running it under Vista64 and XP64, no major issues...
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    At this point it's still Win32 app, but I have several guys running it under Vista64 and XP64, no major issues...

Thanks Nik. That's pretty much what I suspected. In theory, 32-bit applications are supposed to run on a 64-bit OS, but obviously reality is sometimes different than theory! :D

Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be testing s*e under XP-64 this weekend. Now where's that "crossing-my-fingers" smilie? headscratch.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited March 4, 2009
    dogwood wrote:
    Thanks Nik. That's pretty much what I suspected. In theory, 32-bit applications are supposed to run on a 64-bit OS, but obviously reality is sometimes different than theory! :D

Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll be testing s*e under XP-64 this weekend. Now where's that "crossing-my-fingers" smilie? headscratch.gif
    Great, keep us posted, please!thumb.gif
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    How to prevent popup message on startup?
    During loading settings when I start S*E, I get a popup info message saying "Some files from the previous incomplete upload session detected (2). Restore upload queue?" If I click "OK", the next popup says "Images restored: 0". Each time I start S*E, this message comes up. Clicking "cancel" doesn't change it. Neither did clearing log files from related period.

How can I clear this message on S*E?
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    During loading settings when I start S*E, I get a popup info message saying "Some files from the previous incomplete upload session detected (2). Restore upload queue?" If I click "OK", the next popup says "Images restored: 0". Each time I start S*E, this message comes up. Clicking "cancel" doesn't change it. Neither did clearing log files from related period.

How can I clear this message on S*E?
    Sorry about that...
    Look for a file called StarExplorerQueue.ini and delete it. It should be somewhere in application data. If you cant find it, open About, locate the cache (MDB) file, and look around..:-)
    HTH
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry about that...
    Look for a file called StarExplorerQueue.ini and delete it. It should be somewhere in application data. If you cant find it, open About, locate the cache (MDB) file, and look around..:-)
    HTH
    Thanks. Deleted the file and no more message! Appreciate the quick response.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.217 uploaded
    Thanks to the relentless efforts of John Friend (not many of my customers can bug me like he does thumb.gif :-), the long-standing issue of improper timeouts (and hopefully, dreadful "invalid handle" messages) seems to be fixed now. Yes, it was Microsoft bug (ha-ha), and I didn't know that at the time..rolleyes1.gif
    So, set S*E request timeout value to 600 (unless you do video or Valut, in which case you may need bigger values) and it should honot it.
  • Options
    Carl314Carl314 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2009
    Filter Uploads
    First, thank you for an excellent piece of software. Assuming I stick with Smug Mug when the trial period expires, I'll certainly be registering your program.

I have some photos which have the keyword "private" (e.g. my wife breastfeeding, some college friends doing stupid things they wouldn't want on the internet, etc).

With Picasa / Picasa Web Albums, you can mark a photo as "do not upload", and never worry about it again.

Is there something similar with Star Explorer? If not, short of manually checking every photo and deleting ones you don't want uploaded, is there a different way to indicate that a certain class of photos shouldn't be uploaded?

Thanks, Carl.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2009
    Carl314 wrote:
    First, thank you for an excellent piece of software. Assuming I stick with Smug Mug when the trial period expires, I'll certainly be registering your program.

I have some photos which have the keyword "private" (e.g. my wife breastfeeding, some college friends doing stupid things they wouldn't want on the internet, etc).

With Picasa / Picasa Web Albums, you can mark a photo as "do not upload", and never worry about it again.

Is there something similar with Star Explorer? If not, short of manually checking every photo and deleting ones you don't want uploaded, is there a different way to indicate that a certain class of photos shouldn't be uploaded?

Thanks, Carl.
    Carl, unlike Picasa, S*E is not a photo manager, it's an uploader (although a bit more than that:-).
    So if you don't want a picture to upload - don't add it to its queue. Or hide it on SM afterwards (there is a "hide it" button on SM).
    It will be much easier for you to sort out these pictures beforehand and do not upload them than for me trying to guess which ones you want online and which ones you don't.