Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    * The fact you didn't initially see the asterisks (replacement indicator) was due to the fact of the images location/naming and unavailable detailed info. S*E tries to match new entries to existing ones, but if it can't it cant. ne_nau.gif

* sometimes it takes a LONG time for the uploaded item to show up. One thing for certain - if the item is not in S*E queue it's only because SM API returned a confirmation code, thus accepting responsibility for the further processing deal.gif Attempting to upload the same image again will simply result to a duplicate

* "not letting you drag and drop". The *only* - and, frankly, fairly common - reasons for that are 1) S*E didn't finish upload, or 2) you don't have a single album selected in S*E albums's pane. I seriously doubt S*E has a bug in this area

* as I mentioned before, if SM servers are busy, it is possible to have an image out of S*E hands but yet not showing. More over, an attempt to get image info from SM will not be successful, since the image is still in SM "limbo". When a situation like that present itself the best thing is to be patient and do not let yourself upload same files again and again - S*E will not be able to prevent the dups.

* whenever you restart S*E and asked if you want to restore the existing queue the NO answer leads to an immediate queue clearance. It wasn't like this at earlier times, but recent versions guarantee that.

* sorry, originals from SM won't do. I need THE original file. I wouldn't event recommend setting it directly, since the mail servers/clients are too smart sometimes. Zip a smallest image with a "password" password and email it to me like that.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AllYoursVPPAllYoursVPP Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2010
    Face*palm moment
    I had been using Rapid fetcher with nothing but problems. I need to download an entire gallery from SM to my desktop. When I researched your program it seems it can do so, but how? I used what I thought were logical functions, but was never able to download anything. It's my own gallery, and I got no errors (and I'm using Windows 7) and I'm tired of being frustrated!!! lol. Not with you, more with RF, just somebody, fix it lol.

Allie
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2010
    I had been using Rapid fetcher with nothing but problems. I need to download an entire gallery from SM to my desktop. When I researched your program it seems it can do so, but how? I used what I thought were logical functions, but was never able to download anything. It's my own gallery, and I got no errors (and I'm using Windows 7) and I'm tired of being frustrated!!! lol. Not with you, more with RF, just somebody, fix it lol.

Allie

Allie, there are two possible reasons why you can't download images with S*E:
    1) a mistyped SM account name in S*E Account settings
    2) gallery has the "HideOwner" flag set.
    I have never heard of any other reasons.
    If still doesn't work - shoot me an email and we'll take it from there...
    HTH
    Nikolai
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    I have not seen if this feature is available or if I just missed it all together. Is there a way to get a list of what images are in what gallery for the entire site with image ID/URL directly to the image? What I am wanting to do is I already have worked through the images for a blog post, so I am hoping to just take the link and embed it myself during the writing.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    I have not seen if this feature is available or if I just missed it all together. Is there a way to get a list of what images are in what gallery for the entire site with image ID/URL directly to the image? What I am wanting to do is I already have worked through the images for a blog post, so I am hoping to just take the link and embed it myself during the writing.

Of course, and in many ways...
    1) from the images tab, Export in Forum format () 2) from Full Text Search, you can export save in a variety of ways. All you need to do is to include some universal image criteria to get images.  There are also non-S*E ways, please inquire over email if interested...  HTH  Nikolai
  • Options
    DJOBDJOB Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2010
    Help!
    I don't even know where to begin. I uploaded around 40,000 pictures one team at a time last month and it almost took the entire month. I was told to use star explorer, but am completely lost on how to even begin. I shoot a lot of action sports, I upload by team, I have around 40 teams this time to upload wich will equal roughly 20,000 pictures. I have them saved in my server under age group then team. can someone help walk me through what i need to do step by step? Any help would be appreciated. I also tried to you tube an insturctional on how to, maybe a good idea?headscratch.gifne_nau.gifhuhbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    DJOB wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin. I uploaded around 40,000 pictures one team at a time last month and it almost took the entire month. I was told to use star explorer, but am completely lost on how to even begin. I shoot a lot of action sports, I upload by team, I have around 40 teams this time to upload wich will equal roughly 20,000 pictures. I have them saved in my server under age group then team. can someone help walk me through what i need to do step by step? Any help would be appreciated. I also tried to you tube an insturctional on how to, maybe a good idea?headscratch.gifne_nau.gifhuhbowdown.gif
    With S*E you can upload a multitude of albums in one click, and S*E can even create albums for you automatically based on your folders structure.
    For starter's info, please use "How To" section on the website. For all further inquiries please post them here or email me (I may be irresponsive during the workday due to the work load, but I will get back to you sooner or later:-)
    HTH
    Nikolai
  • Options
    ilovecomixilovecomix Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2010
    How does one remove old image info form a folder on Star explorer. I can not seem to find a way to get the deleted picture info removed? In other words I replaced a directory with different pictures and the old pictures info still shows in start explorer.

http://ilovecomixarchive.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    ilovecomix wrote: »
    How does one remove old image info form a folder on Star explorer. I can not seem to find a way to get the deleted picture info removed? In other words I replaced a directory with different pictures and the old pictures info still shows in start explorer.

http://ilovecomixarchive.com
    File/Get Albums or File/Get Categories or for one specific gallery File/Get Image Info for ....
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    File/Get Albums or File/Get Categories or for one specific gallery File/Get Image Info for ....

Nope, the image info never goes away and there is no way to remove it. I need more thought or direction.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010

15524779-Ti.gif what John said deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Nope, the image info never goes away and there is no way to remove it. I need more thought or direction.

When you get images info for an album, specify "no cache" option...
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    When you get images info for an album, specify "no cache" option...

No that is not working either. If I need to submit something to star explorer i will but what everyone keeps telling me does not work , i either have something set up incorrectly or I have a bug in the software i am using. More indepth help please?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    No that is not working either. If I need to submit something to star explorer i will but what everyone keeps telling me does not work , i either have something set up incorrectly or I have a bug in the software i am using. More indepth help please?
    Well, if push comes to shove, open the cache DB in Access and delete the images records for that album, then get the images info again. I must admit it's not very user friendly, but OTOH I didn't plan on moving images around too much...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2010
    Well, if push comes to shove, open the cache DB in Access and delete the images records for that album, then get the images info again. I must admit it's not very user friendly, but OTOH I didn't plan on moving images around too much...ne_nau.gif
    Can one just delete the whole cache DB and then reget the photo info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010

ah i guess thats what i will do - that really sucks, not sure why it's being a pain.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010

I do not move them that much, i just replaced them with better images and removed the originals. I now have around 90k in images and counting so replacing them is as big part of my hobby.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    I do not move them that much, i just replaced them with better images and removed the originals. I now have around 90k in images and counting so replacing them is as big part of my hobby.
    Well, you see, you kinda going against the grain... S*E offers a legitimate way to REPLACE your prior copies with the newer ones, in which case you don't have to do any extra work. Your particular use case is a non-typical one, so it's possible I didn't fine tune S*E for it... In any case, sorry for the inconvenience. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2010
    Can one just delete the whole cache DB and then reget the photo info.
    Possible, but
    a) you will lose path info, and
    b) at 90K images (per OP) it will take a LOT of time... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2010
    New version 1.0.0.257 uploaded
    This update includes the following bugfixes/features:
    1. Sales download/parsing fix.
      SM changed the CSV structure, I didn't know about it until one of the cusomers let me know ne_nau.gif
    2. Video download (aka "1920 issue") fix
      It was totally my fault - bad logic on my part. :bash Anyway, should be fixed now.
    3. New: Resizing can now take percentage
      One of the users suggested this idea, as since I was changing the code anyway I threw this one in, too :ivar
    That's all for now!
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    Can I add a 2nd Smugmug acct to S*E?
    I presently have one Smugmug Pro acct on S*E. Can I add a 2nd SM acct? If so, how? Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    agallia wrote: »
    I presently have one Smugmug Pro acct on S*E. Can I add a 2nd SM acct? If so, how? Thanks.

You can add an arbitrary number of accounts. All you have to do is to purchase an EXTRA license (they are separate from main/primary ones and upgrade ones). The good news: extra licenses are only about 50% of the initial (primary one).

HTH

Nikolai
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2010
    You can add an arbitrary number of accounts. All you have to do is to purchase an EXTRA license (they are separate from main/primary ones and upgrade ones). The good news: extra licenses are only about 50% of the initial (primary one).

HTH

Nikolai
    Thanks. Can the 2nd licensed acct can be added to the same S*E program so that when it loads, I can select which acct to use? How?
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2010
    agallia wrote: »
    Thanks. Can the 2nd licensed acct can be added to the same S*E program so that when it loads, I can select which acct to use? How?
    Not so literally, but in a word - yes. You will be able to choose an account. Also there are some other ways to accomplish the same thing...
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2010
    1,000th Customer!
    Congratulations to David Cummings on becoming 1,000th customer of Star*Explorer! clap.gif
  • Options
    geepgeep Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2010
    I got his tip from one of my users today. Looks like S*E and LR can go hand-in-hand! wings.gif

Says Mike:

Thank you, Mike! thumb.gif
    Hi from Geep, not sure how to find this folder above. How EXACTLY do you find this file above in windows xp?? I do not know how to do it, and want to use Smugmug and lightroom!!!
    thank you soo much, geep
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    geep wrote: »
    Hi from Geep, not sure how to find this folder above. How EXACTLY do you find this file above in windows xp?? I do not know how to do it, and want to use Smugmug and lightroom!!!
    thank you soo much, geep
    Geep, welcome to Dgrin!
    to be perfectly honest I haven't been paying much attention to LR lately. I suppose you still should be able to export files to the actual files/folders. Once you got it, S*E can take care of the rest.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Hey Nik -- it's been a while since I've used S*E. Does it support moving galleries from one category to another? Or better still, to a specific subcategory? I'm specifically wondering about doing this in bulk, for archiving existing categories into an "Archive" category as subcategories (and yes, since we still don't have N-levels of categories, I'll have to collapse some of those categories.)
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2010
    darryl wrote: »
    Hey Nik -- it's been a while since I've used S*E. Does it support moving galleries from one category to another? Or better still, to a specific subcategory? I'm specifically wondering about doing this in bulk, for archiving existing categories into an "Archive" category as subcategories (and yes, since we still don't have N-levels of categories, I'll have to collapse some of those categories.)

Hi Darryl,
    not at the moment, no.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Hi Darryl,
    not at the moment, no.

Ah. Good thing I kept a copy of Nitrodesk around then. It's clunky as heck, but does have this feature, which made it a lifesaver.