Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    download images problem
    hi. i'm trying to download the images from a smugmug gallery of mine with starexplorer. i've done this before successfully, but this time, it runs through each of the images and gets the same fail error on each image, and downloads nothing. i have a pro SE subscription, and my login seems to be fine. i tried removing password protection on this gallery, same results.

please help! thanks,
    mark

my gallery:

http://www.liflanderphotography.com/Other-Events/Maxa-Jeffs-Campout-2010/13197061_icHXS#957911930_tgJ9D

the log error message on each image:

0:07:28: Finished Getting http://liflander.smugmug.com/photos/957929017_pCjpu-eaa7b6bcbd1584aa398e942e58502ddc.jpg (0:00:00)
    0:07:28: Trying to re-login
    0:07:28: Started Getting http://liflander.smugmug.com/photos/957929017_pCjpu-eaa7b6bcbd1584aa398e942e58502ddc.jpg
    0:07:28: Get failed: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently (301)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    hi. i'm trying to download the images from a smugmug gallery of mine with starexplorer. i've done this before successfully, but this time, it runs through each of the images and gets the same fail error on each image, and downloads nothing. i have a pro SE subscription, and my login seems to be fine. i tried removing password protection on this gallery, same results.

please help! thanks,
    mark

my gallery:

http://www.liflanderphotography.com/Other-Events/Maxa-Jeffs-Campout-2010/13197061_icHXS#957911930_tgJ9D

the log error message on each image:

0:07:28: Finished Getting http://liflander.smugmug.com/photos/957929017_pCjpu-eaa7b6bcbd1584aa398e942e58502ddc.jpg (0:00:00)
    0:07:28: Trying to re-login
    0:07:28: Started Getting http://liflander.smugmug.com/photos/957929017_pCjpu-eaa7b6bcbd1584aa398e942e58502ddc.jpg
    0:07:28: Get failed: HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently (301)

Hi Mark,
    It looks like you have misconfigured S*E. ne_nau.gif
    The images are at liflanderphotography.smugmug.com
    while you "tell" S*E to look at liflander.smugmug.com (w/o "photography").
    Please open S*E Account Options (Alt+F11) and change the account nickname (the topmost field)
    HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2010
    New version 1.0.0.258 uploaded
    Now with the Printmarks support :ivar
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2010
    Thanks Nikolai. I will try that.
    Cheers,
    Mark

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hi Mark,
    It looks like you have misconfigured S*E. ne_nau.gif
    The images are at liflanderphotography.smugmug.com
    while you "tell" S*E to look at liflander.smugmug.com (w/o "photography").
    Please open S*E Account Options (Alt+F11) and change the account nickname (the topmost field)
    HTH
    Nikolai

Nikolai, when I try to do this, the Account field is grayed out, and I can't change it.
    How do I make it active so that I can edit it?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    PS- I just reinstalled S*E on my computer (and added the .sel license) after reinstalling Windows.
  • Options
    liflander wrote: »
    Nikolai, when I try to do this, the Account field is grayed out, and I can't change it.
    How do I make it active so that I can edit it?
    Thanks,
    Mark
    PS- I just reinstalled S*E on my computer (and added the .sel license) after reinstalling Windows.
    Mark,
    shoot me an email with the current/correct registration info (SM nickname/email on file with SM) and I will send you an updated license.
    HTH
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2010
    Thanks Nikolai. Will do.
    Mark

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    ownerowner Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    Hi There,

I have just found this Thread, have sent you a personal email and am looking forward to the reply asap.

I love this program, awesome - well done.

Exactly what I need - Excellentclap.gif

Looking forward to your reply!
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2010
    owner wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I have just found this Thread, have sent you a personal email and am looking forward to the reply asap.
    I love this program, awesome - well done.
    Exactly what I need - Excellentclap.gif
    Looking forward to your reply!
    Karen,
    email received and replied.
    Nikolai
  • Options
    ownerowner Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Excellent - Works well...
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2010
    owner wrote: »
    Excellent - Works well...
    thumb.gifclap.giflust
  • Options
    Max_SupernovaMax_Supernova Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2010
    Hi. I just downloaded Star*Explorer and it looks great, but I can't figure out how to do one thing that I want. I'm not even sure if it will...

My photos are all organized by YEARMONTH/EVENT/photo.jpg. For example, I have the following directories on my hard drive, each containing photos. The leading numbers are so it sorts by date rather than alphabetically...

c:\myphotopath\0905 May 2009\0905 Pool Party
    c:\myphotopath\0907 July 2009\0907 Beach Vacation
    c:\myphotopath\1009 September 2010\1009 Kids in the Park
    c:\myphotopath\1009 September 2010\1009 Raking Leaves

In my Smugmug account, I have a categories "2009" and "2010". If I auto-create for the above folders, I get 2 albums in each of those.

What I'd like to get is
    Category 2009 with Subcategory "0905 May 2009" with one album in it.
    Category 2009 with Subcategory "0907 July 2009" with one album in it.
    Category 2010 with Subcategory "1009 September" with two albums in it.

Does that make sense? I'd like S*E to look at the path and generate not just a category, but a category and subcategory. Does it do this and I can't figure it out, or is this not in the feature set?

I'd sure like to be able to just point S*E at my photos and click GO...
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    Hi. I just downloaded Star*Explorer and it looks great, but I can't figure out how to do one thing that I want. I'm not even sure if it will...

My photos are all organized by YEARMONTH/EVENT/photo.jpg. For example, I have the following directories on my hard drive, each containing photos. The leading numbers are so it sorts by date rather than alphabetically...

c:\myphotopath\0905 May 2009\0905 Pool Party
    c:\myphotopath\0907 July 2009\0907 Beach Vacation
    c:\myphotopath\1009 September 2010\1009 Kids in the Park
    c:\myphotopath\1009 September 2010\1009 Raking Leaves

In my Smugmug account, I have a categories "2009" and "2010". If I auto-create for the above folders, I get 2 albums in each of those.

What I'd like to get is
    Category 2009 with Subcategory "0905 May 2009" with one album in it.
    Category 2009 with Subcategory "0907 July 2009" with one album in it.
    Category 2010 with Subcategory "1009 September" with two albums in it.

Does that make sense? I'd like S*E to look at the path and generate not just a category, but a category and subcategory. Does it do this and I can't figure it out, or is this not in the feature set?

I'd sure like to be able to just point S*E at my photos and click GO...

Yes, S*E can do that, and that's a beauty of auto album creation.
    BUT: folder name must match category[/subcategory][/album] name EXACTLY for S*E to be able to put everything in its proper place.
    If there is no match or if you are at a wrong level in the tree all S*E can do is to create a bunch of albums in one place...
    Makes sense?
  • Options
    Max_SupernovaMax_Supernova Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2010
    Yes, S*E can do that, and that's a beauty of auto album creation.
    BUT: folder name must match category[/subcategory][/album] name EXACTLY for S*E to be able to put everything in its proper place.
    If there is no match or if you are at a wrong level in the tree all S*E can do is to create a bunch of albums in one place...
    Makes sense?

Makes perfect sense.

I don't want to do that, so I'll just create my subcategories manually. Not a big deal (it's only 24 months...).

I was more curious as to WHY it wasn't working. This program is so full-featured, I knew it had to be me. :-D

Thanks! And for the fast response too.
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2010
    Makes perfect sense.

I don't want to do that, so I'll just create my subcategories manually. Not a big deal (it's only 24 months...).

I was more curious as to WHY it wasn't working. This program is so full-featured, I knew it had to be me. :-D

Thanks! And for the fast response too.

Categories and subcategories are to be created manually (albeit S*E allows them to be created in swarms;-)

But *matching* is a different story.

E.g. if you have '2010' category in SM and 'C:\someroot\2010\event1\*.jpg' and 'C:\someroot\2010\event2\*.jpg' on your HDD, then you can select account root in S*E [all] cat tree (make sure no album is selected!) and drop 2010 folder anywhere in S*E window, and S*E will recognize that 2010 category should match 2010 folder and it will prep albums event1 and event2 for auto-creation and populate the queue appropriately.

However, if ANYTHING is different (you're not at account root in the tree; an album is selected; names differ; etc.) it won't work deal.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    New version 1.0.0.259 uploaded
    This feature was requested so many times that I finally decided to make it a reality. mwink.gif

Enter Move Albums: simply select as many albums as you want and drag them to a new location in the tree.
    S*E will check the necessity of the move, perform actual online modifications and finally update the local cache (no need to Get Albums/Categories after this action!).

Caveat: the feature is in beta now.
    Once the beta period is over (mid-November), it will remain available for Trials, but after that it will require an S*E Pro license along with a tiny one-time feature fee.

At any rate, enjoy it! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010
    This feature was requested so many times that I finally decided to make it a reality. mwink.gif

Enter Move Albums: simply select as many albums as you want and drag them to a new location in the tree.
    S*E will check the necessity of the move, perform actual online modifications and finally update the local cache (no need to Get Albums/Categories after this action!).

Once the beta period is over (mid-November), it will remain available for Trials, but after that it will require an S*E Pro license along with a tiny one-time feature fee.

Thanks for such great support! Appreciated! bowdown.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2010

One time "feature fee"? Can you explain what this is?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    agallia wrote: »
    Thanks for such great support! Appreciated! bowdown.gif

Sure, thank you for using Star*Explorer!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    One time "feature fee"? Can you explain what this is?
    Hi John, I sure can :-)

This and other future "luxury" features will be a part of the licensing schema. If you want it - you buy it, I'll send you an updated license.
    This particular one will cost $1.99 per account. Prices may vary depending on feature complexity, but that's the ball park.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns...

Nikolai
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    Hi John, I sure can :-)

This and other future "luxury" features will be a part of the licensing schema. If you want it - you buy it, I'll send you an updated license.
    This particular one will cost $1.99 per account. Prices may vary depending on feature complexity, but that's the ball park.

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns...

Nikolai
    I'm trying to figure out why you're charging by feature rather than just doing what everyone else does (and is a generally accepted model) of coming out with an upgraded version and charging ~30-50% of the original price for the upgrade version. I would think you'd make more money the latter way, potentially be a whole lot simpler to manage and it's a generally established way of making money off new features rather than the somewhat unorthodox way of charging by feature.

Speaking for myself, I would tend to pay for an upgrade version approx once a year and would be willing to pay (~$10-20) for it depending upon how much useful stuff was in it. It feels like a reasonable investment to keep current with an important tool I use.

I would not tend to buy a la carte features unless I felt I really needed that particular feature and didn't find it for free elsewhere.

Are you sure this a la carte feature sale is really the right way to go?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out why you're charging by feature rather than just doing what everyone else does (and is a generally accepted model) of coming out with an upgraded version and charging ~30-50% of the original price for the upgrade version. I would think you'd make more money the latter way, potentially be a whole lot simpler to manage and it's a generally established way of making money off new features rather than the somewhat unorthodox way of charging by feature.

Speaking for myself, I would tend to pay for an upgrade version approx once a year and would be willing to pay (~$10-20) for it depending upon how much useful stuff was in it. It feels like a reasonable investment to keep current with an important tool I use.

I would not tend to buy a la carte features unless I felt I really needed that particular feature and didn't find it for free elsewhere.

Are you sure this a la carte feature sale is really the right way to go?
    John,
    there are updates and updates. One of the problems I personally find very annoying with the modern software update paradigm is that the new versions are drastically different from the old ones and are full of "bells and whistles" I really didn't want. But - they are packaged together with those I need so I have to get the whole deal. Talk about infamous canon "direct print" button. eek7.gif

Let's say it doesn't feel right to charge "$10..$20" just because another year has passed. As you are well aware my updates are frequent and incremental. I don't use "waterfall" method.

And, after all, if you don't want to "mess" with the small features every time they come out, you can establish your own "upgrade schedule" and purchase (or skip) a whole pack of those that were developed over the year (or quarter, etc.). But the thing is - you don't have to buy those you don't need.

HTH
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    John,
    there are updates and updates. One of the problems I personally find very annoying with the modern software update paradigm is that the new versions are drastically different from the old ones and are full of "bells and whistles" I really didn't want. But - they are packaged together with those I need so I have to get the whole deal. Talk about infamous canon "direct print" button. eek7.gif

Let's say it doesn't feel right to charge "$10..$20" just because another year has passed. As you are well aware my updates are frequent and incremental. I don't use "waterfall" method.

And, after all, if you don't want to "mess" with the small features every time they come out, you can establish your own "upgrade schedule" and purchase (or skip) a whole pack of those that were developed over the year (or quarter, etc.). But the thing is - you don't have to buy those you don't need.

HTH
    It's your business and you can run it how you want. I was describing the commonly used method of upgrades that I would like better and would probably get you more money from me. But, if you're determined to try the individual feature sales, I'll see whether I'm interested in buying any of them.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    It's your business and you can run it how you want. I was describing the commonly used method of upgrades that I would like better and would probably get you more money from me. But, if you're determined to try the individual feature sales, I'll see whether I'm interested in buying any of them.

John, that's the whole idea.
    I honestly *do* want you to buy only those you need.
    As opposed to shove the whole bunch in your throat just because it's another year or some other vague reason.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    John, that's the whole idea.
    I honestly *do* want you to buy only those you need.
    As opposed to shove the whole bunch in your throat just because it's another year or some other vague reason.
    When I buy an upgrade to Adobe Lightroom, I certainly do not feel like it's being shoved down my throat. I'm always looking forward to it because it has something good in it I want. The enhancements are more than worth the upgrade amount to me. If it didn't have anything good in it I wanted or felt I needed or I felt it wasn't worth the price, I'd skip a version (that's why I still have CS3). No bother. We'll see how it works your way.

I do have a funky multi-account license file that I use on two separate computers so I hope your feature licensing will be compatible with that.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    When I buy an upgrade to Adobe Lightroom, I certainly do not feel like it's being shoved down my throat. I'm always looking forward to it because it has something good in it I want. The enhancements are more than worth the upgrade amount to me. If it didn't have anything good in it I wanted or felt I needed or I felt it wasn't worth the price, I'd skip a version (that's why I still have CS3). No bother. We'll see how it works your way.

I do have a funky multi-account license file that I use on two separate computers so I hope your feature licensing will be compatible with that.

"Features" will be part of a license, so it should work well. deal.gif

I appreciate the comparison, but in reality it is hard to compare the lifecycle of the $200.$300 package backed by a multimillion dollar market leader with a tiny niche app developed and supported by a one-man army. mwink.gif

Speaking of Adobe: I really, REALLY hate the fact that latest PS spends a huge part of it on video processing. I do understand the trend of merging photo and video, but I, for one, do not shoot video and have no intention to in any foreseeable future. From that point of view 30% of PS is a dead meat for me. I would much rather haver Adobe R&D spending all the time and resources on streamlining and improving the actual photoediting part, but no, they had to have video...ne_nau.gif So, in this case, the video part was shoved into my throat - and I don't like that.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2010
    IE 9 Beta Warning
    One of my customers notified me of the fact that after installing IE9 Beta (he just wanted to play with it) S*E ceased to work, reporting the problems accessing "wininet.dll".
    Upon my recommendation he uninstalled IE9 and the problem went away.

I'm sure we'll have a solution by the time IE9 hits the release point, but for now - proceed with caution. deal.gif
  • Options
    kpsanbornkpsanborn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2010
    Images Tab - Export to CSV
    Of course, and in many ways...
    1) from the images tab, Export in Forum format () 2) from Full Text Search, you can export save in a variety of ways. All you need to do is to include some universal image criteria to get images.  There are also non-S*E ways, please inquire over email if interested...  HTH  Nikolai

Hi

I don't see Export to CSV available in the Images Tab (I do see Export in Forum Format). Would you consider adding this to a future release?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2010
    kpsanborn wrote: »
    Hi

I don't see Export to CSV available in the Images Tab (I do see Export in Forum Format). Would you consider adding this to a future release?

Thanks,

Kevin

Possibly... In the mean time please use the Full Text Search and its export feature.
  • Options
    kpsanbornkpsanborn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 18, 2010
    Possibly... In the mean time please use the Full Text Search and its export feature.

Is Full Text Search the same as Find? I tried searching for file names using the wildcard. If I typed in a specific file name, the file appeared, but with a wildcard (SAN2010F21*) - nothing and I should have gotten about 100 or so. In the search results when I typed in a specific file name, the File column was blank. I assume that is where the file name would appear. Is there a reason why that wouldn't appear?

Thanks.