Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Motophotog wrote: »
    Technology glitches... No clue what caused it, no clue what fixed it.

What I do know is the next day without even restarting or doing anything differently, i restored the upload queue , and it just worked. Not only worked for all my saturday uploads, it then took sunday and uploaded that flawlessly.

One thing I will say, and I have zero idea if this helps. Instead of uploading everything at once, I split the upload into 1200 photo uploads (essentially half) for each day. The idea I had was that maybe it was having an issue uploading such a large queue of work. Either way it all worked out and i should say, this is the second time in 4 years or so I've gotten stuck and Nikolai was available within 30 minutes of emailing him. Which was very impressive. wings.gif

Good stuff Darren, glad you're out of the rutt :-) thumb.gif
    I'd say, "2d problem in 4 years" is not bad for a workhorse type of the application mwink.gif :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    New version 1.0.0.285: new Albums4 package
    Currently the only functionality in this package is Image Duplicates Removal.
    I will add more beef to this package in the future, just wanted to get this one out.

Available via both Albums list and Cat/Sub tree context menus.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    New version 1.0.0.288: new Images3 package, and more
    Improved "Remove Image Duplicates" - now you can pick and choose the fields;
    New Images3 Pro Package (to be extended):
    * Custom Image List Sorting (long overdue, but it wasn't easy)
    * Cut/Copy (collect) images (possibly from different albums) and then paste them into album.
    You can copy the same set over and over to multiple albums.
  • Options
    twobbstwobbs Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2012
    Newby issues
    Hi --

I'm a newby to S*E as of yesterday, and have two problems that I hope someone might be able to help with.

First, the small problem. I had an existing gallery with Unicode characters in its name. Specifically, the name "Cesme" with a Turkish cedilla (?) accent on the C and the s. This caused big problems for "Download images". I get a folder full of notional JPGs that contain 50K of XML (presumably because S*E is asking for a file that isn't there). I also note that in various other places in the UI that certain accented characters are not being handled correctly (for example captions are truncated).

I suspect that this problem might cause other aspects of the software not to work correctly for this folder/gallery.

My more important problem is that I have 5 Gigs of photos in SmugMug as well as on my local disk, but I can't get S*E to reconcile the two. To make things more specific and because I was having trouble reconciling the photos I already had locally, I downloaded a pile of these images using the "Download image" command, copied them to where I wanted them, invoked "GetImageInfo" on the corresponding SmugMug galleries, and then tried to "Locate" the images so as to fill in the LocalPath on the Main/Images display. No luck. It silently doesn't find them.

In this case, it feels as if S*E is keeping some cached representation of my local folders, because the "Locate" command finishes very quickly. If so, I've found no obvious way to refresh such a local cache (as opposed to the cache of remote SmugMug state).

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I'd really like not to have to upload all my photos again.

twobbs
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    twobbs wrote: »
    Hi --

I'm a newby to S*E as of yesterday, and have two problems that I hope someone might be able to help with.

First, the small problem. I had an existing gallery with Unicode characters in its name. Specifically, the name "Cesme" with a Turkish cedilla (?) accent on the C and the s. This caused big problems for "Download images". I get a folder full of notional JPGs that contain 50K of XML (presumably because S*E is asking for a file that isn't there). I also note that in various other places in the UI that certain accented characters are not being handled correctly (for example captions are truncated).

I suspect that this problem might cause other aspects of the software not to work correctly for this folder/gallery.

My more important problem is that I have 5 Gigs of photos in SmugMug as well as on my local disk, but I can't get S*E to reconcile the two. To make things more specific and because I was having trouble reconciling the photos I already had locally, I downloaded a pile of these images using the "Download image" command, copied them to where I wanted them, invoked "GetImageInfo" on the corresponding SmugMug galleries, and then tried to "Locate" the images so as to fill in the LocalPath on the Main/Images display. No luck. It silently doesn't find them.

In this case, it feels as if S*E is keeping some cached representation of my local folders, because the "Locate" command finishes very quickly. If so, I've found no obvious way to refresh such a local cache (as opposed to the cache of remote SmugMug state).

I'd appreciate any help you can give. I'd really like not to have to upload all my photos again.

twobbs

1) Unicode - unfortunately, the engine S*E uses underneath has no Unicode support. For now you have to stay with English for it to operate.

2) To reconcile - you have to (I suggest trying it on a very small album first):
    * download image info for that album (don't get images! just image info!)
    * switch to images tab below, make sure the images have width, height and size values
    * then use "locate lost images" command and point S*E to the local folder where you think those files should be - the more accurate you can be, the faster it would go.

I must admit, during these actions you may hit varios trial related obstacles. If you want to perform a fulll functionality testing, please contact me at support@starexplorer.com and I will send you a full (just time-limited) license.

Nikolai
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    1) Unicode - unfortunately, the engine S*E uses underneath has no Unicode support. For now you have to stay with English for it to operate.

2) To reconcile - you have to (I suggest trying it on a very small album first):
    * download image info for that album (don't get images! just image info!)
    * switch to images tab below, make sure the images have width, height and size values
    * then use "locate lost images" command and point S*E to the local folder where you think those files should be - the more accurate you can be, the faster it would go.

I must admit, during these actions you may hit varios trial related obstacles. If you want to perform a fulll functionality testing, please contact me at support@starexplorer.com and I will send you a full (just time-limited) license.

Nikolai

Thanks, Nikolai -

1) What do you mean by "English"? ASCII or ISO-Latin-1 (8-bit charset) or something else? (I suspect that it's ISO-Latin-1 because the C-cedilla seems to work. I think the s-cedilla was causing the problem ... it's not in ISO-Latin-1.

2) I thought I tried reconciling my originals and was having problems, but I will try again. I think I have the right licenses to do these tests, but will let you know.

However, I'm surprised that a recently downloaded image (at full resolution) can't be reconciled with the same image on the server. What causes these to be seen as different?

twobbs
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thanks, Nikolai -

1) What do you mean by "English"? ASCII or ISO-Latin-1 (8-bit charset) or something else? (I suspect that it's ISO-Latin-1 because the C-cedilla seems to work. I think the s-cedilla was causing the problem ... it's not in ISO-Latin-1.

2) I thought I tried reconciling my originals and was having problems, but I will try again. I think I have the right licenses to do these tests, but will let you know.

However, I'm surprised that a recently downloaded image (at full resolution) can't be reconciled with the same image on the server. What causes these to be seen as different?

twobbs

1) Probably ISO-Latin-1... But I never pushed for any of the accented characters, as I knew it wouldn't work for everybody anyway...
    2) I'm afraid there is a confusion with the "reconcilliation" term. S*E doesn't care for what you download, really. It doesn't keep track of those.
    What it does keep the track of is what you upload. Those do get into its local cache db. When you get image info back it also updates that db. Same with the results of the "find lost images" - that is, if it can find them.
    However that's about it. There is no live link between SM website and S*E cache. If you start moving stuff around outside S*E that synced state is quickly severed and you have to put some efforts to restore it.

Basically, if you do all your important SM work through S*E, you should be always good. It is when you upload outside S*E or change something on SM site directly online, then the S*E cache becomes outddated and you need to restore it. How exactly work is needed - depends on the circumstances. The trivial cases are easy to resolve inan almost-automated way (you just need to press a button or two), the marginal ones may and will take time.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    1) Probably ISO-Latin-1... But I never pushed for any of the accented characters, as I knew it wouldn't work for everybody anyway...
    2) I'm afraid there is a confusion with the "reconcilliation" term. S*E doesn't care for what you download, really. It doesn't keep track of those.
    What it does keep the track of is what you upload. Those do get into its local cache db. When you get image info back it also updates that db. Same with the results of the "find lost images" - that is, if it can find them.
    However that's about it. There is no live link between SM website and S*E cache. If you start moving stuff around outside S*E that synced state is quickly severed and you have to put some efforts to restore it.

Basically, if you do all your important SM work through S*E, you should be always good. It is when you upload outside S*E or change something on SM site directly online, then the S*E cache becomes outddated and you need to restore it. How exactly work is needed - depends on the circumstances. The trivial cases are easy to resolve inan almost-automated way (you just need to press a button or two), the marginal ones may and will take time.

Thanks again, Nickolai --

I think I now understand the download/upload/cache model of S*E. I suspect I was doing something wrong, or with the wrong license, when I abandoned the recipe you cite above. I'll try again tonight.

For me, S*E might fulfill 3 important functions:

1) Simple upload of new stuff with automatic category/subcategory/gallery management.
    2) Reorganization of an existing hierarchy while tracking those changes locally.
    3) Small edits to individual photos that can subsequently be reflected in both the local and remote state.

With respect to (1) and (2), it seems like S*E does exactly what I want.

I'm not sure about (3). The most common case is caption editing after the initial upload. If I edit captions on SM, it's tricky to get the changes to be reflected locally. If I edit captions locally, I don't see how to make the S*E UI aware of the changes so that I can re-upload everything that's changed. Alternatively, I could re-upload at some granularity greater than a photo so as to capture, say, all the changes in a gallery or subcategory. However, it's not clear to me what overheads are associated with re-upload of unchanged material.

Am I missing something about how the S*E user is supposed to handle updates of type (3)?

Best,

twobbs
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thanks again, Nickolai --

I think I now understand the download/upload/cache model of S*E. I suspect I was doing something wrong, or with the wrong license, when I abandoned the recipe you cite above. I'll try again tonight.

For me, S*E might fulfill 3 important functions:

1) Simple upload of new stuff with automatic category/subcategory/gallery management.
    2) Reorganization of an existing hierarchy while tracking those changes locally.
    3) Small edits to individual photos that can subsequently be reflected in both the local and remote state.

With respect to (1) and (2), it seems like S*E does exactly what I want.

I'm not sure about (3). The most common case is caption editing after the initial upload. If I edit captions on SM, it's tricky to get the changes to be reflected locally. If I edit captions locally, I don't see how to make the S*E UI aware of the changes so that I can re-upload everything that's changed. Alternatively, I could re-upload at some granularity greater than a photo so as to capture, say, all the changes in a gallery or subcategory. However, it's not clear to me what overheads are associated with re-upload of unchanged material.

Am I missing something about how the S*E user is supposed to handle updates of type (3)?

Best,

twobbs

You can rename existing albums via S*E, thus keeping stuff in sync.
    Images (or categories/subcategories) you can't - for now :-(.
    It will be part of an upcoming functionality.
    For now if you want, say, to change the caption of an image, you'd have to do it online and then tell S*E to get the image info for the affected images (or containing albums).
  • Options
    richardlpalmerrichardlpalmer Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2012
    Star*Explorer Help
    Hello everyone, I didn't see an Introductions or Off Topic/Meeting Place forum, but wanted to say "Hi" and thank you for having me on this forum. Much appreciated in advance! wings.gif

I could use a hand with Star*Explorer and was hoping to get some guidance. I saw the Star*Explorer Thread but as it's over 8 years old and 50+ pages long, I didn't think it would be the wisest thing to attempt to find my answer within. ;)

Here's what I'd like to do and thank you in advance for any assistance (even if it can't be done).

I have Categories & albums within each. Each shoot/album is by date with a subject after the date. That's also how things are arranged on my hard drive. I only have a fraction of what's on my hard drive on Smugmug. My goal is to get it all there. ;)

My ideal situation would be to click on a Category, then drag/drop all the folders for that category from my hard drive onto in in S*E. The intended result would be each of the folders becoming albums.

I'd rather not have to create a bunch of albums manually, but if I have to, then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. But in that case I'd still want to drag/drop all of the folders for that Category in one fell swoop.

Any insight on how to accomplish this? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited July 28, 2012
    ... I saw the Star*Explorer Thread but as it's over 8 years old and 50+ pages long, I didn't think it would be the wisest thing to attempt to find my answer within. ;)

I merged this into the Star*Explorer thread because I think that Nik has auto-notification.

Sorry, I'm no help at all for the question.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I merged this into the Star*Explorer thread because I think that Nik has auto-notification.

Sorry, I'm no help at all for the question.

Thank you Ziggy! And yes, I do have notifications on this one:-)
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2012
    Hello everyone, I didn't see an Introductions or Off Topic/Meeting Place forum, but wanted to say "Hi" and thank you for having me on this forum. Much appreciated in advance! wings.gif

I could use a hand with Star*Explorer and was hoping to get some guidance. I saw the Star*Explorer Thread but as it's over 8 years old and 50+ pages long, I didn't think it would be the wisest thing to attempt to find my answer within. ;)

Here's what I'd like to do and thank you in advance for any assistance (even if it can't be done).

I have Categories & albums within each. Each shoot/album is by date with a subject after the date. That's also how things are arranged on my hard drive. I only have a fraction of what's on my hard drive on Smugmug. My goal is to get it all there. ;)

My ideal situation would be to click on a Category, then drag/drop all the folders for that category from my hard drive onto in in S*E. The intended result would be each of the folders becoming albums.

I'd rather not have to create a bunch of albums manually, but if I have to, then I guess I'll just have to deal with it. But in that case I'd still want to drag/drop all of the folders for that Category in one fell swoop.

Any insight on how to accomplish this? ne_nau.gif

Hi Richard,
    welcome to Dgrin!
    Yes, this thread is old (i.e. it has been started a long time ago), but it it *current*, as I respond to it as soon as I get a notification :-) I also respond to email (support@starexplorer.com) mwink.gif

What you want to achieve was built into S*E almost from the very start. If you have categories in place (and if you dont's - S*E can create them in swarms), you can select a category in S*E and the drop a whole bunch of folders into it - they will become albums. You can even control how you want to do it - merge the folders into their heighest level one (so A\1, A\1\2 and A\2 all become A) or keep it to the lowest level (in the prior example you'll end up with 3 albums: A::1, A::1::2 and A::2).
    Play with this on a small scale. Once you get the feeling how it works it's fairly easy.
    S*E is also smart enough to deal with subcategories and existing albums, but that requires some extra playing...
    My only advise - don't try to upload 100Gb in one set (especially over the weekend). Pace yourself, you'll get less issues.
    HTH
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2012
    New version 1.0.0.289: large files, and more
    In this new "Labor Day" version:-)
    * Support for video/vault files up to 4Gb (before it was up to 2Gb)
    * Bugfix: album names with backslashes were truncated
    * Bugfix: images from private albums could not be moved/copied
    * for Pro with Images3 (or better): you can now paste copied image(s) to multiple albums at once
    HTH
  • Options
    JoanRJoanR Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2012
    Fantastic Upgrade!
    clap.gif The latest release has fixed all the little problems I was having and it's FAST!!! In fact, it's so fast, I was sure nothing had uploaded. But there it all was.

Thanks and GREAT JOB!

Joan
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2012
    JoanR wrote: »
    clap.gif The latest release has fixed all the little problems I was having and it's FAST!!! In fact, it's so fast, I was sure nothing had uploaded. But there it all was.

Thanks and GREAT JOB!

Joan

thumb.gifbowdown.gifclapiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    I need to try this again sometime. Continuous development may have fixed the issues I was having. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    mike.strockmike.strock Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    Is there anyway in Star*Explorer I can get a gauge of how fast my uploads are going? I recently got a 35/35 FIOS connection at work, and my 20/5 connection at home seems faster. I've done the Speedtest.net thing, which tells me that I don't have 35/35, but I'm looking for something more definitive to call Frontier with, as I just recently had it installed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2012
    Is there anyway in Star*Explorer I can get a gauge of how fast my uploads are going? I recently got a 35/35 FIOS connection at work, and my 20/5 connection at home seems faster. I've done the Speedtest.net thing, which tells me that I don't have 35/35, but I'm looking for something more definitive to call Frontier with, as I just recently had it installed.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike.
    I'd check speedtest.net, speedtest.charter.com and speedtest.tampabay.rr.com to verify your bandwidth. Then I'd say if your upload bandwidth is under 5, you're right--the 20/5 is faster. eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2012

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Mike,
    sorry, didn't see your post...
    S*E is usually shows the speed in log in KB (MB) per sec - mind you, that's Kilo/Mega BYTES, not BITS. So for 35/35 Mbps you should expect about 35/8 ~ 4.x MB/s.
    Of course, that is if you have set the multithreading options correctly.deal.gif
    You can always "watch" S*E churning in Task Manager, Networking tab. My own readings typically come close to what I expect.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    Star*Explorer temporarily out of order :-(
    SM image counter finally exceeded the maximum value for 32-bit unsigned int (2147483647). So S*E uploads fine but cannot handle the returned ID :-(
    I'll fix this asap, but it's not a simple fix.
    In the mean time you can still upload, just ignore the error and do not repeat uploads to avoid dups.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2012
    Please get the latest version
    1.0.0.291 should be working again. For the next two billion uploads we should be fine, and by that time hopefully something will change...;-)
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    1.0.0.291 should be working again. For the next two billion uploads we should be fine, and by that time hopefully something will change...;-)

unsigned FTW. mwink.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SimonG156SimonG156 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    I've been really remiss with my uploads this year. Fired up SE, 1800 files with one click. Just great.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2012
    SimonG156 wrote: »
    I've been really remiss with my uploads this year. Fired up SE, 1800 files with one click. Just great.
    thumb.gifclap.gifbow
  • Options
    wglongwglong Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2012
    I'm test driving Star*Explorer and have a question
    Does the program use any type of temp files to upload and if so where are they located. I have a SSD drive as my drive C and I'm usually worried about programs that right a lot of temp files to that drive for what they have to do (decreases the life of the SSD).

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2012
    wglong wrote: »
    Does the program use any type of temp files to upload and if so where are they located. I have a SSD drive as my drive C and I'm usually worried about programs that right a lot of temp files to that drive for what they have to do (decreases the life of the SSD).

Thanks.

No, it doesn't.
  • Options
    benefactbenefact Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2013
    star explorer queries
    Hi everyone - is this the only S*E thread on Dgrin? I couldn't find another.

I am a rookie user and I have a couple of issues.

1. I drag a folder into the upload window, it has a folder inside it, inside which is another folder containing a further folder full of pics. The folder names mirror cats and subcats on my smugmug site. The last folder name is used to autocreate an album. So far, so smug. The pics are added to the upload queue in correct cat and subcat. I hit 'upload' and go off to teach my classes. When I return I find that S*E has completed the queue and started the whole thing again! That is, the uploads are complete but for some reason the log shows that S*E just goes right back to the start of the queue and starts to upload the pics all over again. It appears to keep doing this until stopped manually, and I have some galleries with 3 or 4 copies of the same pic. Any ideas how I can stop this?

2. On a related note, I am struggling to delete duplicates. I right click on a gallery in S*E (having fetched cats and galleries) and select 'delete duplicates' but when the log shows that when S*E tries to do this and checks the gallery it finds '0 files, 0 duplicates' even tho I know that the gallery is full of them. Any thoughts?

Sorry to come out with all this, i am sure there is a simple thing I am missing.

Really like S*E just need a use guide or something. I really have no idea what most of the menu options do, despite checking forums etc for help.

Many many thanks for any help / guidance that anyone can offer.

BF
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    benefact wrote: »

1. I drag a folder into the upload window, it has a folder inside it, inside which is another folder containing a further folder full of pics. The folder names mirror cats and subcats on my smugmug site. The last folder name is used to autocreate an album. So far, so smug. The pics are added to the upload queue in correct cat and subcat. I hit 'upload' and go off to teach my classes. When I return I find that S*E has completed the queue and started the whole thing again! That is, the uploads are complete but for some reason the log shows that S*E just goes right back to the start of the queue and starts to upload the pics all over again. It appears to keep doing this until stopped manually, and I have some galleries with 3 or 4 copies of the same pic. Any ideas how I can stop this?

2. On a related note, I am struggling to delete duplicates. I right click on a gallery in S*E (having fetched cats and galleries) and select 'delete duplicates' but when the log shows that when S*E tries to do this and checks the gallery it finds '0 files, 0 duplicates' even tho I know that the gallery is full of them. Any thoughts?

Sorry to come out with all this, i am sure there is a simple thing I am missing.

Really like S*E just need a use guide or something. I really have no idea what most of the menu options do, despite checking forums etc for help.

BF

Hi,
    1) there is something wrong somewhere that makes S*E thinks upload failed, and hence it tries to repeat it. The actual reasons could be numerous. I would start from checking the version you have (Help/About). If yours is any earlier from 1.0.0.293 (published Sun Feb 24 2013) I'd start with getting the latest and trying with it. As always, when you encounter some weird behavior and make any change in the process it's wise to try on some small test images/(private) albums first to avoid waiting times and pollution of your site.
    2) removing duplicates and other super advanced features are typically hosted in a Pro Feature Packages. They should work through trial, but after that you need to have S*E Pro AND specific package(s) or Pro+/Studio (those two has all possible functionality unlocked)
    3) help/guidance - there is a little FAQ/How To section on the site about the basic stuff. Once you cross that line everybody tends to do things differently and I'd have to create personalized "help" version almost for every user. Feel free to post your questions here or email me directly (support at starexplorer d0t com)

HTH
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    benefact wrote: »

BF
    Yep, this is the only SE thread. :)

I can't fathom why SE would re-upload, and I'm sure Nikolai will chime in and help, but if you need help removing those duplicates I have a small script I paid to have programmed a while ago. It's not perfect, but I haven't found any bugs in it yet. If you want to try it, PM me and I'll send you the link.