Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

Comments

• Options
    dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    All Photos in Slideshow Gallery not appearing
    Here's one I hope someone can help with....

I have 8 photos in a gallery I'm using to feed my slideshow, but it's skipping the second photo, regardless of how I shuffle the photos around it always skips the second image. Is there a JS tweak I missed? It does this in IE 6.0.2900.xpsp.sp2, IE 7 and FF.........Thanks.
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    Nice photoshoppage, there, guy. All 8 pix display here, both browsers (versions in sig).
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    Here's one I hope someone can help with....

I have 8 photos in a gallery I'm using to feed my slideshow, but it's skipping the second photo, regardless of how I shuffle the photos around it always skips the second image. Is there a JS tweak I missed? It does this in IE 6.0.2900.xpsp.sp2, IE 7 and FF.........Thanks.
    It's working fine for me, FF and IE6 - please put it on viewer controlled, change the styles a bit, clear your cookies and cache, then try again.
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    AOL recipients of invitations via the share button report getting only garbled junk; same is true w/ Comcast; this has been reported in a thread on the SmugMug support forum, but so far no technical support staff has responded. Only Andy, and we all know how over worked he is. And I'm not clear on whether or not that Vegan thing is still happening.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    AOL recipients of invitations via the share button report getting only garbled junk; same is true w/ Comcast; this has been reported in a thread on the SmugMug support forum, but so far no technical support staff has responded. Only Andy, and we all know how over worked he is. And I'm not clear on whether or not that Vegan thing is still happening.
    Now you are being personal. Let's keep this elevated, shall we?

For what it's worth, mkress, I was a fat, overweight slob. I have lost 25 lbs and am on my way to a long and healthy life. Switching my diet was perhaps one of the best things I've done in my life, for myself. And I don't treat it as a joke. And, I don't appreciate snide comments about it. Jokes in fun, sure - but yours isn't. Lay off it, now.

Now, to business: As I said, our technical support cannot and does not respond to every single post. It's not possible, not should it be expected. We have a long track record of being extremely responsive to all of our customers.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=53379

If this is indeed a bug (it's not, yet), then we'll fix it.

Thank you for taking the time to report this here.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Now you are being personal. Let's keep this elevated, shall we?

For what it's worth, mkress, I was a fat, overweight slob. I have lost 25 lbs and am on my way to a long and healthy life. Switching my diet was perhaps one of the best things I've done in my life, for myself. And I don't treat it as a joke. And, I don't appreciate snide comments about it. Jokes in fun, sure - but yours isn't. Lay off it, now.

Now, to business: As I said, our technical support cannot and does not respond to every single post. It's not possible, not should it be expected. We have a long track record of being extremely responsive to all of our customers.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=53379

Thank you for taking the time to report this here.

Umm, nothing snide about it. Last I knew you were discussing a rib joint in Kansas. I had seen nothing on the site other than a very brief change in the words under your avatar about being a Vegan in Training and then that changed to its current whatever it is. I'm glad you are a vegan. I'm glad you found a way to lose weight. I didn't know that you needed to. I do as well, but probably won't go vegan or vegetarian, but I'm making no snide comments about anyone's dietary choices. I was truly curious as to why your title (whatever its called) under your avatar had changed.

I raised the issue here so that it would not get lost. Nothing nefarious or snide. I assumed that this was the place to post bugs, so I posted it. Since no one from tech support had commented on it, I thought perhaps they had not had the time to see it, so rather than force them to search through all the threads, I thought perhaps I'd post it in the bug report forum.

If you intend to talk to me again in this manner, please do so via emails.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I don't appreciate snide comments about it.
    Touchy, touchy. eek7.gif

Matthew, wrt to that vegan thing, you wouldn't believe...

Short story: I couldn't get my cholesterol below 230 despite being trim, doing extreme fitness, limiting myself to lean meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, whole grains and nonfat dairy.

The only thing left to try was going vegan after having all my triathlon buddies tell me The China Study was one of the most important books of the last decade. Finally a nutrition book by someone with impeccable credentials.

I had no idea true died-in-the-wool carnivores like Andy would follow suit. I've given out 24 copies of the book and 23 people have gone vegan, including most people who work at SmugMug.

Amazing.

Anybody who wants a copy of the book, email baldy at smugmug dot com and SmugMug will send you a copy.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Touchy, touchy. eek7.gif

Matthew, wrt to that vegan thing, you wouldn't believe...

Short story: I couldn't get my cholesterol below 230 despite being trim, doing extreme fitness, limiting myself to lean meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, whole grains and nonfat dairy.

The only thing left to try was going vegan after having all my triathlon buddies tell me The China Study was one of the most important books of the last decade. Finally a nutrition book by someone with impeccable credentials.

I had no idea true died-in-the-wool carnivores like Andy would follow suit. I've given out 24 copies of the book and 23 people have gone vegan, including most people who work at SmugMug.

Amazing.

Anybody who wants a copy of the book, email baldy at smugmug dot com and SmugMug will send you a copy.

I hate hijacking a post even more, but I'm curious about your cholesterol now... My parents have some serious health issues and I've been exploring new diet options for myself (diet from a lifestyle standpoint, not losing weight, although that wouldn't suck) to hopefully encourage them and your post piqued my interest. I'm off to Amazon to get this. (I just don't feel quite right taking you up on your offer.) :)

Thanks for being so open about it...
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    I'm off to Amazon to get this. (I just don't feel quite right taking you up on your offer.) :)

Thanks for being so open about it...

Andi, send us a note to baldy, we'd LOVE to get the book for you :D
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Andi, send us a note to baldy, we'd LOVE to get the book for you :D

Barely in time. Thank you, Andy. I sent him an email. :D
  • Options
    TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I have lost 25 lbs and am on my way to a long and healthy life. Switching my diet was perhaps one of the best things I've done in my life, for myself.

Don't take this personally, Andy....but 25lbs only gets you a bronze award....I lost 70lbs myself recently before I'd let stand at the lens-end of a camera again! Seriously, congrats on the lifestyle change....it isn't easy but it's worth it!

Re: the "bug" - I've only tried sharing photos once with the button (I've always saved and attached the image to emails). I used the feature on 1/30/2007 to send a photo to three recipients. A comcast.net recipient replied "the attachment was not viewable", and the aol.com recipient said she only received "a page of numbers". Looks like a nice feature once it's fixed though.

Can we import an address book into Smugmug?

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    TheDuck wrote:
    Looks like a nice feature once it's fixed though.

Can we import an address book into Smugmug?

Be seeing you,
    The Duck

Congrats to you!!!!!!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=481359#post481359
    follow that thread. ALL known email issues have been fixed, internally. AOL and Comcast (both required some creativity on our part because of their quirky setups).

We hope that the fixes are applied to the live site very soon.

You cannot import an address book into SmugMug, sorry.
  • Options
    Matt SheridanMatt Sheridan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2007
    Hiya, folks.

I'm an e-marketing guy for JPMorgan Chase, and we use SmugMug to host a bunch of photo galleries (event stuff, unsurprisingly). For the past couple weeks, a lot of us here have been having some weird problems trying to view our galleries, and SmugMug galleries in general.

Multiple users in different offices--hell, in different states--have had the same problems. I believe we're all on IE 6 and Win XP. The really odd thing about these problems, though, is that they're apparently variable from hour to hour.

Usually, when trying to view a gallery, I'll get an IE error dialog box that says "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site [gallery URL here]. Operation aborted". I hit "OK", and the browser resolves to the standard "The page cannot be displayed" message.

At other times, though--while going to the very same galleries, mind you--I'll get that same IE error, but clicking OK will actually take me to the gallery . . . except only the thumbnails will load up, and the larger image on the right will be missing, even when the thumbnails are clicked.

And, then, just to really confuse me, sometimes it'll all just work fine. I'm still trying to figure out it it's restarted that fixes it, and maybe some other activity (just prolonged IE use?) that causes the problem to inevitably return . . . or if it's all just completely random.

Whatever's going on, it seems to be tied into the style used by the gallery. For example, this gallery is completely broken for me right now, as is this one. However, this gallery--which I believe is using a style that's somewhat lighter on the DHTML works fine. Meanwhile, this gallery is partially working, letting me view the thumbnails but not the larger-size images.

The more I experiment, though, the less sense this phenomenon seems to make.

Has anyone else run into something like this, or is it just the result of some security software or overzealous firewall settings that all us JPMC people have in common?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Hiya, folks.

I'm an e-marketing guy for JPMorgan Chase, and we use SmugMug to host a bunch of photo galleries (event stuff, unsurprisingly). For the past couple weeks, a lot of us here have been having some weird problems trying to view our galleries, and SmugMug galleries in general.

Multiple users in different offices--hell, in different states--have had the same problems. I believe we're all on IE 6 and Win XP. The really odd thing about these problems, though, is that they're apparently variable from hour to hour.

Usually, when trying to view a gallery, I'll get an IE error dialog box that says "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site [gallery URL here]. Operation aborted". I hit "OK", and the browser resolves to the standard "The page cannot be displayed" message.

At other times, though--while going to the very same galleries, mind you--I'll get that same IE error, but clicking OK will actually take me to the gallery . . . except only the thumbnails will load up, and the larger image on the right will be missing, even when the thumbnails are clicked.

And, then, just to really confuse me, sometimes it'll all just work fine. I'm still trying to figure out it it's restarted that fixes it, and maybe some other activity (just prolonged IE use?) that causes the problem to inevitably return . . . or if it's all just completely random.

Whatever's going on, it seems to be tied into the style used by the gallery. For example, this gallery is completely broken for me right now, as is this one. However, this gallery--which I believe is using a style that's somewhat lighter on the DHTML works fine. Meanwhile, this gallery is partially working, letting me view the thumbnails but not the larger-size images.

The more I experiment, though, the less sense this phenomenon seems to make.

Has anyone else run into something like this, or is it just the result of some security software or overzealous firewall settings that all us JPMC people have in common?
    Hi Matt,

Sure sounds like JPM Chase (my bank, btw thumb.gif) is blocking access to certain parts of our system. I'm guessing you don't have any trouble when accessing from home or outside of the office?

We've seen this before sometimes. Let us know.
  • Options
    Matt SheridanMatt Sheridan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Sure sounds like JPM Chase (my bank, btw thumb.gif) is blocking access to certain parts of our system. I'm guessing you don't have any trouble when accessing from home or outside of the office?

We've seen this before sometimes. Let us know.
    Yep. It's only JPMC offices that are actually having any trouble. Using IE 6 and Win XP from home, everything works fine. Naturally, our network security settings are pretty much out of our hands, so I guess the only solution is to switch to the older gallery style, huh?
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Yep. It's only JPMC offices that are actually having any trouble. Using IE 6 and Win XP from home, everything works fine. Naturally, our network security settings are pretty much out of our hands, so I guess the only solution is to switch to the older gallery style, huh?
    I would guess... but you can always ask IT....
  • Options
    det1racdet1rac Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2007
    webcode on other gallery
    It appears that this gallery has my hit counter on it.

I dont know how to contact the guy or find out if its a smugmug thing.

http://robertbarnettphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2414366

You'll noticed @ the top his gallery has my name on it.

Can we get it removed? i.e.. the hit counter.

bob
    Thanks, Robert
    http://www.RobertCain.info
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
    ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
    Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
    Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    det1rac wrote:
    It appears that this gallery has my hit counter on it.

I dont know how to contact the guy or find out if its a smugmug thing.

http://robertbarnettphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2414366

You'll noticed @ the top his gallery has my name on it.

Can we get it removed? i.e.. the hit counter.

bob
    Hi Bob, I'm not seeing what you are describing, can you be more detailed? Can you provide a screenshot? Thanks.
  • Options
    det1racdet1rac Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Bob, I'm not seeing what you are describing, can you be more detailed? Can you provide a screenshot? Thanks.

Andy,
    Sorry, he may have fix it, I left a comment about it at the same time I left this posting.

It may have did this when he joined the pentax community I created.

Thanks anyway, and I appreciate the quick f/u.

bob
    Thanks, Robert
    http://www.RobertCain.info
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
    ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
    Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
    Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Can't use same Photo Tool more than once when using Browser's Back button
    This "bug" crept up after the new AJAX'y SmugMug upgrade.
    I found that when I use the Color Effects < photo tool >, but then decide to browse back, the < photo tool > drop-down menu remains on Color Effects. Picking Color Effects again from the drop-down doesn't do anything at that point. Even clicking on another picture, or navigating doesn't "reset" the < photo tools > drop-down. The only way to choose Color Effects again is to pick a different tool, or pick the "< photo tool >" top entry in the drop down (which causes a full page reload :bluduh)
    Might I suggest that switching at least switching photos or pages should reset the < photo tool > drop-down.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    This "bug" crept up after the new AJAX'y SmugMug upgrade.
    I found that when I use the Color Effects < photo tool >, but then decide to browse back, the < photo tool > drop-down menu remains on Color Effects. Picking Color Effects again from the drop-down doesn't do anything at that point. Even clicking on another picture, or navigating doesn't "reset" the < photo tools > drop-down. The only way to choose Color Effects again is to pick a different tool, or pick the "< photo tool >" top entry in the drop down (which causes a full page reload :bluduh)
    Might I suggest that switching at least switching photos or pages should reset the < photo tool > drop-down.
    Thanks!
    Hi, it's been that way forever. Don't know the tech reason behind it but it's not something that can be changed AFAIK. You just have to change the menu and then go back.
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, it's been that way forever. Don't know the tech reason behind it but it's not something that can be changed AFAIK. You just have to change the menu and then go back.
    Musta just never noticed!
    Seems like clickin' on a thumb or on the page nav could set the selected index of the < tools > drop-downs...
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    New bug in STATS?
    When viewing my overall stats, I get some (and only some) of the statgraphs showing as a RED-X. Cleared temp... W2k/SP4 and IE6... Clean on the virus and adware fronts... Didn't find anyone else reporting this. Just happened since the Mar 8 Scheduled Maintenance Alert.

Anything else I should check on my end?
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    When viewing my overall stats, I get some (and only some) of the statgraphs showing as a RED-X. Cleared temp... W2k/SP4 and IE6... Clean on the virus and adware fronts... Didn't find anyone else reporting this. Just happened since the Mar 8 Scheduled Maintenance Alert.

Hi Seymore, I see it... I don't know why it is this way, I've raised the flag for some help... I'm traveling right now, but if you don't hear back right here within 24 hours, please write our help desk.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

It's a bug, albeit a "small" one, of the stats system.

If only Smalls have been seen, we treat that as if there are no hits.

Go view a Medium or any other size in that gallery, they'll show up.

Try it, it works. It's a bug, but I don't know if/how/when it will be fixed. Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2007
    OK Andy. Thanks for the response and confirmation on this bug. Hopefully the coders can work this out. More of an irritant at this point.

Thanks man... thumb.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Stuck pop-up palette
    My wife was browsing my gallery (link in my sig) when she called me over to say "how do I get this thing off the main image". I told her to move the mouse off the image. She said, the mouse isn't on the image. I got up and walked over to her computer. Sure enough, the "thumbs, save photo" popup was stuck on the image without the mouse being anywhere near the image.

I mouse over and then out thinking that might clear it. Nope, still there.

I selected other images in the gallery. Nope, still there.

Finally, I hit browser page refresh and it went away.

I'd hate for this to happen to my viewers who wouldn't have such ready access to tech support.

She was using Firefox 2.0.0.2.

There's a real bug in there somewhere that makes the pop-up palette get stuck sometimes during normal usage on a non-customized site. I don't know how to reproduce it. I haven't done any customization related to the popup.

If you aren't able to figure out why it gets stuck up, I wonder if you could make it more likely to be self healing. If you wave the mouse over and then out, it seems like you could make it self healing so that the palette gets taken down in that circumstance no matter what happened previously (e.g. some page-global-state could get cleared).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

There's a real bug in there somewhere that makes the pop-up palette get stuck sometimes during normal usage on a non-customized site. I don't know how to reproduce it. I haven't done any customization related to the popup.
    I see this all the time so can confirm. Real pain that only page refresh solves. Also using Firefox 2.0.0.2.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    My wife was browsing my gallery (link in my sig) when she called me over to say "how do I get this thing off the main image". I told her to move the mouse off the image. She said, the mouse isn't on the image. I got up and walked over to her computer. Sure enough, the "thumbs, save photo" popup was stuck on the image without the mouse being anywhere near the image.

I mouse over and then out thinking that might clear it. Nope, still there.

I selected other images in the gallery. Nope, still there.

Finally, I hit browser page refresh and it went away.

I'd hate for this to happen to my viewers who wouldn't have such ready access to tech support.

If you aren't able to figure out why it gets stuck up, I wonder if you could make it more likely to be self healing. If you wave the mouse over and then out, it seems like you could make it self healing so that the palette gets taken down in that circumstance no matter what happened previously (e.g. some page-global-state could get cleared).
    I've never seen it happen, so I can't begin to know how to report it yet. I'll be sure that bigwebguy sees this though, and if he has any words of wisdom, he'll add them. Thanks John.
This discussion has been closed.