Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    I did it again
    Andy wrote:
    I've never seen it happen, so I can't begin to know how to report it yet. I'll be sure that bigwebguy sees this though, and if he has any words of wisdom, he'll add them. Thanks John.

I just reproduced it on my wife's computer again. I don't know the exact steps, but if I put the mouse over the image, wait for the palette to pop up and then waive the mouse around. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I suspect it's some sort of timing issue or missed event issue.

If I recall, there was a previous report from another poster (including a screen shot) of a stuck palette that was partially drawn. In my case, it's fully drawn, but certainly could be the same issue.

Because I think it's some sort of timing issue, I doubt you're going to get a smoking gun test case that reproduces it easily. If someone wants to fix it, they'll probably have to fix it by examining the code to figure out what code path (even an unexpected one) could lead to a stuck palette and then making the code defensive against that.

Let me know if you need any more info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I just reproduced it on my wife's computer again. I don't know the exact steps, but if I put the mouse over the image, wait for the palette to pop up and then waive the mouse around. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I suspect it's some sort of timing issue or missed event issue.

If I recall, there was a previous report from another poster (including a screen shot) of a stuck palette that was partially drawn. In my case, it's fully drawn, but certainly could be the same issue.

Because I think it's some sort of timing issue, I doubt you're going to get a smoking gun test case that reproduces it easily. If someone wants to fix it, they'll probably have to fix it by examining the code to figure out what code path (even an unexpected one) could lead to a stuck palette and then making the code defensive against that.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Anyone from the dev team looking into this one? It's pretty ugly for the viewer when it happens. And, I've now seen it several times.

Even if you can't figure out why it gets into this state, defensive coding could make it self healing so that it would fix itself anytime the mouse when into and out of the main photo. As it is, no mouse movements will fix it once it's stuck. You have to leave the page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Anyone from the dev team looking into this one?

Hi John, As I reported, it's been given to Lee (bigwebguy). I'm sorry I don't have any update for you.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Anyone from the dev team looking into this one? It's pretty ugly for the viewer when it happens. And, I've now seen it several times.

Even if you can't figure out why it gets into this state, defensive coding could make it self healing so that it would fix itself anytime the mouse when into and out of the main photo. As it is, no mouse movements will fix it once it's stuck. You have to leave the page.
    we know the bug and will take care of it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention John.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    we know the bug and will take care of it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention John.

Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2007
    OK I have stilol got this problem:
    the small images do not show, nor is there any gallery controls or pic controls that are usually under the small image

So what I get is a page with the thumbs - nothing else

If I mouse over where the image should be the options comes up (size/info/redor green thumb etc

please tell me what is wrong?

ps same in Safari or FF, mac OS 10.3.9, currently on laptop G4 1.5
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    OK I have stilol got this problem:
    the small images do not show, nor is there any gallery controls or pic controls that are usually under the small image

So what I get is a page with the thumbs - nothing else

If I mouse over where the image should be the options comes up (size/info/redor green thumb etc

please tell me what is wrong?

ps same in Safari or FF, mac OS 10.3.9, currently on laptop G4 1.5
    For FF, please try these diagnostics and let us know:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288184
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    For FF, please try these diagnostics and let us know:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288184

both FF and Safari passed those diagnostics OK
    Looked under 'Tools >Error Console ' and saw this (part of, just a screenshot)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    both FF and Safari passed those diagnostics OK
    Looked under 'Tools >Error Console ' and saw this (part of, just a screenshot)
    Hi Simon,

The errors that you see here are not errors actually. The properties with an underscore in front of them, are for IE5/6 only. It's a hack, and not an official CSS2.1 reccomendation. That's why it may show as an error. It shouldn't have any effect on you (not) seeing the main image though.

Have you installed the latest version of Java? Please visit www.java.com . If you click to install the most up to date version, the site will automatically direct you to the correct version for your system.

Let us know if that helps. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Simon,

The errors that you see here are not errors actually. The properties with an underscore in front of them, are for IE5/6 only. It's a hack, and not an official CSS2.1 reccomendation. That's why it may show as an error. It shouldn't have any effect on you (not) seeing the main image though.

Have you installed the latest version of Java? Please visit www.java.com . If you click to install the most up to date version, the site will automatically direct you to the correct version for your system.

Let us know if that helps. Thanks.

It only offers updates for 10.4.x not 10.3.9 which I have.

All my software updates are up to date (AFAICS)

It didnt do this before the recent upgrades to the SM style Im sure - help! eek
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    It only offers updates for 10.4.x not 10.3.9 which I have.

All my software updates are up to date (AFAICS)

It didnt do this before the recent upgrades to the SM style Im sure - help! eek
    Are you running ANY external softwares - security software, adblockers, extensions?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Are you running ANY external softwares - security software, adblockers, extensions?

Not as far as Im aware, I wouldn't know, not that I have installed anyway.

How would I know if there were any ?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    Not as far as Im aware, I wouldn't know, not that I have installed anyway.

How would I know if there were any ?
    Simon, have you tried another computer? One on a different connection than the one you are using right now?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Simon, have you tried another computer? One on a different connection than the one you are using right now?

No I can't get to another computewr but.. Safari has just suddenly started working- WEIRD! - The only thing I have done is to check the network settings and sharing (in system preferences) but didnt change anything

However FF still is acting up, i.e. not working with SM, and before you ask.. yes I tried logging out and in again ;-)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    No I can't get to another computewr but.. Safari has just suddenly started working- WEIRD! - The only thing I have done is to check the network settings and sharing (in system preferences) but didnt change anything

However FF still is acting up, i.e. not working with SM, and before you ask.. yes I tried logging out and in again ;-)
    Are you maybe using a proxy? In firefox check under Options->Network->Connection. Does it say 'Direct connection to the Internet' ?

If it doesnt, set it to Direct Connection. If it does, could your ISP or company be forcing a proxy without you knowing?

Cor
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    corbosman wrote:
    Are you maybe using a proxy? In firefox check under Options->Network->Connection. Does it say 'Direct connection to the Internet' ?

If it doesnt, set it to Direct Connection. If it does, could your ISP or company be forcing a proxy without you knowing?

Cor

I looked under preferences and it a direct connection
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    corbosmancorbosman Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2007
    Does it also happen when you use a different style like Traditional? For instance, go to this link http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/634937#131884030

Same problem in all styles?

Cor
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    corbosman wrote:
    Does it also happen when you use a different style like Traditional? For instance, go to this link http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/634937#131884030

Same problem in all styles?

Cor

Andy's site shpowed up fine so Imtried a few different styles on mine - all the 'smug' styles

None worked
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    Extra bugs?
    I am also getting these peoblems (screenshots)

clicking 'next' page in a gallery
    http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/gallery/1411050#P-1-15
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    one on choosing 'Watermarking'
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    Simon, there is something on your end that is blocking much of our code- we just have to help figure this out.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    endless processing pics in NEW IN gallery

I have deleted that gallewry now as the watermarking was unfixable you guys told me a while back
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Simon, there is something on your end that is blocking much of our code

I've looked in the mirror and can't see anything on my end!rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though: OK so any ideas what it could be?

any more tests I can run?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    No more suggestions then chaps?

Safari has stopped displaying thepages again BTW
    No idea why...
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    No more suggestions then chaps?

Safari has stopped displaying thepages again BTW
    No idea why...
    Simon, we don't know what's happening with your account.

I would like you to try something please. See your PMs.
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    I'm trying to create a gallery today and getting a "page not found" internet explorer message. Any ideas why? It won't let me create a new gallery.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2007
    Karenl39 wrote:
    I'm trying to create a gallery today and getting a "page not found" internet explorer message. Any ideas why? It won't let me create a new gallery.
    Hi Karen, can you give us a link to the page you are trying to create the gallery from?

Are you using IE6 or IE7?

Are you certain that you are logged in?
  • Options
    Karenl39Karenl39 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2007
    Weird, now it is working. Sorry to bother you.
  • Options
    LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    anybody seen the lower menu bar get slapped mid page across images before? Like this? I will not leave this image in my gallery long. I did escelate to real person using help, but no definitive answer, just a suggestion to clear my cache.

138071724-M-1.jpg

http://fotogafer.smugmug.com/gallery/2616763#138071724-L-LB
This discussion has been closed.