Options

How To Maximize Your Findability (Search Engine Stuff)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks for responding Andy. I was just wondering if anybody knew anything about the parameter stuff, not complaining. We love what SmugMug has done for us as far as SEO.

Renamed some cats and sub cats recently and trying to do better w/filenames from here onward - we are climbing in the search results quickly even though we just changed our domain name a month or so ago.

Another question:

We made a blogger blog but I set it up to be at http://blog.jasonscottphoto.com

Would it be better for SEO to use the blogspot.com address? or doesn't it matter?
    I recommend using your custom domain. That's what I do.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Amos wrote:

My issue is with the Smugmug setting and stuff we cannot control. I mentioned the meta keywords
    We've removed the Meta Keywords that we had populated. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    20100427-fh3yigt5yiqaujcn6i22uhqfss.png

OK, here's another question...

I have over 1000 crawl errors under "not followed"

Why is this showing up like this? Why would anything be redirecting to my old URL? (There are others in the list w/my new URL - if I click on any of them it goes to a blank page...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    20100427-fh3yigt5yiqaujcn6i22uhqfss.png

OK, here's another question...

I have over 1000 crawl errors under "not followed"

Why is this showing up like this? Why would anything be redirecting to my old URL? (There are others in the list w/my new URL - if I click on any of them it goes to a blank page...

I have 2,286 crawl errors, all with "not followed - empty redirect". I had asked about this before, but no one responded. I am not sure if it's something happening because of something I did. For example, they all say "keyword change". Yes, I did change some keywords, so maybe it means nothing. On the other hand, it would be nice to have it fixed so that Google doesn't decide that my site is a mess.

Also, on every error it refers to "photo rank" so I don't know what that means. I was hoping someone here may have the answers to how to stop all the crawl errors.

I think someone had mentioned, "Just don't use the Webmaster Tools, and you won't see them" but that seems like just burying your head in the sand.

It appears that whenever we make keyword changes, something breaks a link somewhere. Maybe it means nothing, but as I said, I want to play nice for Google.

Crawl-errors.jpg
  • Options
    Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    It's nothing to worry about.
    I think someone had mentioned, "Just don't use the Webmaster Tools, and you won't see them" but that seems like just burying your head in the sand.

Use it but don't lose sleep over it. I only look at the frequent requests and links once in a while, rarely actually. Worry about building a good website for your visitors.
  • Options
    dwingedwinge Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2010
    I've been combing the thread for an answer on this, please forgive me if this has been answered, I'm a total novice here, what's the best/easiest/fastest way to get these keywords replaced by a description in a search result? Or is there a way? Is Google simply pulling these from my gallery?
    Example:

original.jpg

If the image does not show up, there is a copy here:
    http://www.pbase.com/dwinge/image/124943685
    BTW, This is one excellent forum, I'm so glad I found it!

David
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    Even though Google ignores them, many of you have been asking for the ability to add your own META Keywords to your site. Ask and ye shall receive!

You can add them in your Control Panel, settings tab. We'll show them to spiders and crawlers that hit your site. In a gallery, if you use the gallery customizing page and add gallery specific keywords, we'll use those thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    In a gallery, if you use the gallery customizing page and add gallery specific keywords, we'll use those thumb.gif

And if we don't? You'll use the sitewide ones?

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2010
    And if we don't? You'll use the sitewide ones?

Yes. Just try it and see thumb.gif
  • Options
    Chris HChris H Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    Yes. Just try it and see thumb.gif

Great Andy, just filled mine in. Look forward to seeing if it works.

Any sign of sitemaps coming soon??
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2010
    Chris H wrote: »
    Great Andy, just filled mine in. Look forward to seeing if it works.

Oh, and does anyone know who long it takes for the changes to page titles to appear in search results on google?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2010
    Has anyone noticed a change in page rank results lately. For some bizarre reason I've dropped considerably (3-4 pages) for a number of searches which were seeing me near the top for quite some time. Happened overnight yesterday. What did I do wrong!!?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Forgive me if this has been asked.

Under each photo in my galleries I have a title, comments, and location listed.

Is there a way for Google to "see" those comments?

This is what I mean:

If you look at this photo

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas/Traces-of-Texas/9430365_XS5xk#774977320_7yW3r

you will see that, underneath it is a poem that I've written. What I'd like is for Google to be able to see the poem (or whatever comments I've made), so that if I do a Google search for any of the unique phrases in the poem, the image will show up in the search.

What I'd like to be able to do is go to make Google aware of the comments under each of my photos.
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2010
    Forgive me if this has been asked.

Under each photo in my galleries I have a title, comments, and location listed.

Is there a way for Google to "see" those comments?

This is what I mean:

If you look at this photo

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas/Traces-of-Texas/9430365_XS5xk#774977320_7yW3r

you will see that, underneath it is a poem that I've written. What I'd like is for Google to be able to see the poem (or whatever comments I've made), so that if I do a Google search for any of the unique phrases in the poem, the image will show up in the search.

What I'd like to be able to do is go to make Google aware of the comments under each of my photos.

Google sees that, it's all 'caption' on SmugMug.
  • Options
    Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Hmmm ... maybe I don't understand or perhaps I haven't made myself clear.

The poem under the photo reads:

A sliver of sound, not made by winds
    blowing through broken windows or stray grasses,
    a random absence, an emptiness built
    from the many-told meanderings of restless ancestral spirits
    and stemming from a source
    that separates each of your molecules
    from the quiet beating of your own heart and producing a feeling
    too slippery to grasp or even to consciously perceive,
    steals quietly along the Canadian river valley.

Yet, if I do a google search for the exact phrase

"a sliver of sound, not made by winds" or the phrase "too slippery to grasp or even to consciously perceive"

or any of the other phrases in the poem, Google finds no results. I'm wondering if it's possible to make Google find the phrases or contents in my captions.
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Stumped and disappointed
    I confess, I stopped reading after about a dozen pages, so my answer is probably in the thread somewhere.

I live in Nacogdoches, TX. I googled "Nacogdoches photographer" and I don't show up anywhere. I understand the keyword issue, and I will be taking care of that for sure.

What else can I do besides keywording to get myself somewhere close to the front of a simple Google search for area photographers?
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    I confess, I stopped reading after about a dozen pages, so my answer is probably in the thread somewhere.

I live in Nacogdoches, TX. I googled "Nacogdoches photographer" and I don't show up anywhere. I understand the keyword issue, and I will be taking care of that for sure.

What else can I do besides keywording to get myself somewhere close to the front of a simple Google search for area photographers?

1. Do everything here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-engines

example, you do not have your SEO stuff filled out in your control panel, settings tab thumb.gif

you do not have gallery descriptions: http://www.ballengerphotos.com/Photography/Little-Rock-AR/10385618_7xEM6#719184847_qU3tL

then, work hard at getting other sites to link to you.

Have your blog use your custom domain (easy on Blogger) http://ballengerphotography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    Thanks, Andy. The SEO is done now, and I will implement the other suggestions ASAP.

Another thing that really concerns me from the business side is that I don't have a good way for customers to contact me directly from the site. I don't want them to have to open up their mail client. I really like the box that pops up for your "contact me" page. Can you provide advice or a thread link that will allow me to copy your style of contact page?

2. Also, what's the best way to hide my keywords from the guest's view? I don't want my galleries cluttered.

Thanks again for your help.
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2010
    Thanks, Andy. The SEO is done now, and I will implement the other suggestions ASAP.

Another thing that really concerns me from the business side is that I don't have a good way for customers to contact me directly from the site. I don't want them to have to open up their mail client. I really like the box that pops up for your "contact me" page. Can you provide advice or a thread link that will allow me to copy your style of contact page?
    You customized away our footer. Why? That has your contact link right in it.

2. Also, what's the best way to hide my keywords from the guest's view? I don't want my galleries cluttered.

Thanks again for your help.
    Post in the customizing forum, if you want more help on this. FAQ# 26 http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq
  • Options
    max:Pmax:P Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

How do I go about changing each page title starting with removing the "-Powered by SmugMug"(with no disrespect to you guys), the way Andy has his set up???

Many thx,
    Max
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited July 15, 2010
    max:P wrote: »
    How do I go about changing each page title starting with removing the "-Powered by SmugMug"(with no disrespect to you guys), the way Andy has his set up???
    Answered twice, here and here.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Turbo V6 CamaroTurbo V6 Camaro Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    okay I run my other site on my home pc.

I can get it to turn up in google very easy.

but my smugmug site not so much

I have tried many thing including starting to name my file better. but still it seems unless i put "wide shut" when google for sports photos from the schools i shot at my site is not in google at all!!!

I have tried alot of stuf and now i'm thinking I may need to start over in fear that maybe i have done more harm then good !

can some take a look and tell me whats good/and bad so i can correct it?

www.wideshutphotography.com
    Andrew - www.wideshutphotography.com
    Cameras: D300S w/MB-D10 grip
    Primes: 35mm F1.8 AFS| 50mm F1.8D | 300mm F2.8 AFS I
    Teles/flash: TC17E II | SB400
    www.turbov6camaro.com 1997 3800 II V6 Camaro
    11.23 1/4 mile 20psi :D
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    okay I run my other site on my home pc.

I can get it to turn up in google very easy.

but my smugmug site not so much

I have tried many thing including starting to name my file better. but still it seems unless i put "wide shut" when google for sports photos from the schools i shot at my site is not in google at all!!!

I have tried alot of stuf and now i'm thinking I may need to start over in fear that maybe i have done more harm then good !

can some take a look and tell me whats good/and bad so i can correct it?

www.wideshutphotography.com

Gallery descriptions:
    http://www.wideshutphotography.com/Belleville-High-School-Sports/Softball/East-vs-west-East-Sr-night/12176040_t6n7d#866478174_hRVzY

As I keep saying, do -everything- we say on our Search Engines page and you will see your Google prominence rise. http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-engines
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2010
    Gallery descriptions:
    http://www.wideshutphotography.com/Belleville-High-School-Sports/Softball/East-vs-west-East-Sr-night/12176040_t6n7d#866478174_hRVzY

As I keep saying, do -everything- we say on our Search Engines page and you will see your Google prominence rise. http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-engines
    Will do thanks, not sure how i missed that
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2010
    okay spent the last week updating my site!!

is there anyway to verify the Google and other bots are on my site?
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Chris H wrote: »

In fact, YES! :smo We just added them, this week. We needed a way to let Google, Bing, and other search engines know what pages to crawl on your sites. So now we build, store, and submit sitemaps for each of you. The 'WorldSearchable' user setting determines whether we make and serve sitemaps at all. And album (Public, Password, WorldSearchable, HideOwner) and Image (Status, Hidden) determine whether certain pages show up in the sitemaps.

In other words, you need to to nothing to make them work, we just obey your current searchability settings clap.gif

Chris, your sitemap would look like this:

http://www.chrishumphreys.net/sitemap-index.xml
    (view in a modern browser)

If you're not Chris, stick /sitemap-index.xml after your site URL deal.gif

In that index file you can see (and inspect if you like) the other sitemap URLs that we feed the search engines.

Thanks for everyone's patience on this :D
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Yay :D But...

20100730-8wh4gx312xxpqtdjwk6tu2fyf7.png

Google webmaster tools doesn't seem to like all of these... ne_nau.gif

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited July 29, 2010
    Google webmaster tools doesn't seem to like all of these...
    Same reaction with my site...

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Yay :D But...

20100730-8wh4gx312xxpqtdjwk6tu2fyf7.png

Google webmaster tools doesn't seem to like all of these... ne_nau.gif
    What do those symbols mean...
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    What do those symbols mean...

Warning or Error

Then if you click on the sitemap it gives you a list of the problems