edited March 19, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    yep :D

Thanks for confirming, David!
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    rfreschner wrote:
    I am loving how easy it is to set up galleries and upload images. Thanks a bunch for a great tool!

I agree completely. Thank you.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    devbobo:

Trying the alpha code. WinXP, FF 2.0.0.2

I also see no throbber. (the thumbs do draw a few seconds later, tried to catch one before they loaded). I also do not have a slider for the thumbnail size adjuster:

137285515-M.jpg

Also, found a repeatable error that causes Smugbrowser and FF to crash: if you have no photos in the upload pane, and you right-click, and choose upload...crashes everytime ( I consider that a bonehead alarm more than anything Laughing.gif)
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 19, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    devbobo:

Trying the alpha code. WinXP, FF 2.0.0.2

I also see no throbber. (the thumbs do draw a few seconds later, tried to catch one before they loaded). I also do not have a slider for the thumbnail size adjuster:

Also, found a repeatable error that causes Smugbrowser and FF to crash: if you have no photos in the upload pane, and you right-click, and choose upload...crashes everytime ( I consider that a bonehead alarm more than anything Laughing.gif)
    Hey Chip,

Thanks for the bug report :D

However, the rewrite that I mentioned a few posts early...basically makes the current alpha kinda worthless, since I am rewriting the code from scratch.

Hopefully, I will have something to play with, either later this week or early next week. I am really excited about the new UI, and I am hoping that other will be as excited as me...and finally the look of SmugBrowser might finally make the functionality.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2007
    Sounds great! Will be happy give it a whirl then.

Thanks
  • Options
    rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    I am really excited about the new UI, and I am hoping that other will be as excited as me...and finally the look of SmugBrowser might finally make the functionality.

Sounds great David - can't wait to see it!
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Stephen,

lol3.giflol3.gif ultimately...yes, it is meant to but I never got around to developing it.

However, I am currently undergoing to rewrite of SmugBrowser to include a better UI, while I am doing this, I will address those issues. I envisage that selecting an image will allow you to view exif, view a larger version, delete the image etc. I will also have drag and drop reordering like on SM.

Cheers,

David
    I just started using this yesterday, and some of the problems I was having aren't entirely addressed in the program. Having said that, I love this app thumb.gif The drag & drop feature is something I am really looking forward to, as that was my original question posted in the smugmug help forum. The problem that I was having, that maybe, just maybe this app could someday address, is how to define and describe what is an album and what is a category. Geez, these confused me, and I ended up with albums and categories that I didn't want. I had to do a lot of recreating, moving of images, deleting galleries, etc., via the sm gallery, rather than the smugbrowser. But, alas, I finally got it. I think that using the smugbrowser to accomplish this, via drag & drop, would have been great.

Thank you, Andy! You da man! clap.gif And, THANK YOU, David, for writing this handy dandy app. You also da man! clap.gifclap

Di aka Dusty-Dog
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    A Bug??
    I just noticed a little bug maybe, and I'm not sure if this has been addressed previously, so here goes..........

Now that I have been adding to and developing my site, the gallery tree's vertical scroll bar doesn't work. I either have to close tree items, or enlarge the window to view the items.

That's all. Nothing major. Just a lil' uh oh.... :uhoh

Di
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    dusty-dog wrote:
    I just noticed a little bug maybe, and I'm not sure if this has been addressed previously, so here goes..........

Now that I have been adding to and developing my site, the gallery tree's vertical scroll bar doesn't work. I either have to close tree items, or enlarge the window to view the items.

That's all. Nothing major. Just a lil' uh oh.... :uhoh

Di

Hi Di,

Yeah i know about that one, but if you focus on the window...scrollling with the mouse wheel seems to work fine thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Di,

Yeah i know about that one, but if you focus on the window...scrollling with the mouse wheel seems to work fine thumb.gif

Yeah, except my mouse wheel is broken. Otherwise, I probably never would have noticed. Tuesday's payday. I'm gonna buy a new mouse. Till then, I've had to deal with scroll bars. Quite the annoyance, for sure. Sheesh, how quickly we become spoiled..... :D
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Just tried out your cool tool - great job!clap.gif
    One little thing that came to my attention is that it lacks support for German umlauts - they all look like that:
    ö instead of Ö, ö
    ü instead of ü
    ä instead of ä

Especially with big galleries I would like to see some kind of indicator that there's something going on behind the scenes. In the beginning it appeared to me as nothing happens at all when you first click on a gallery.

Keep up the great work! thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Just tried out your cool tool - great job!clap.gif
    One little thing that came to my attention is that it lacks support for German umlauts - they all look like that:
    ö instead of Ö, ö
    ü instead of ü
    ä instead of ä

Especially with big galleries I would like to see some kind of indicator that there's something going on behind the scenes. In the beginning it appeared to me as nothing happens at all when you first click on a gallery.

Keep up the great work! thumb.gif

Sebastian

Hey Sebastian,

Thanks for the feedback on those characters, I will check it out.

In regard to progress indication, yeah I know it sucks :D
    Perhaps try the alpha, it least it has loading indication for thumbs.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    At this stage I can't do custom watermarks as I don't have an api method to retrieve the list of watermarks

Is that something that might happen in the future?
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    iklimon wrote:
    Is that something that might happen in the future?
    David also works on enhancing the API, so this should happen sooner or later. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    In regard to progress indication, yeah I know it sucks :D
    Perhaps try the alpha, it least it has loading indication for thumbs.
    David,

I forgot about your post as the alpha sometimes takes a lot of time reloading the thumbs while changing the thumbsize so I thought it wasn't working at the moment. Having reviewed it now I can't find any loading indication for thumbs. ne_nau.gif
    Once SmugBrowser has loaded the gallery information it shows emtpy thumbs, but I recall that already being the case in the beta. Then it starts loading the thumbs one by one, which is fine. What I meant was the time while it's loading and processing the gallery information, which can take a while with big galleries.

Another suggestion from my side is to make the thumbsize-slider bigger - it's really hard to actually get it in order to drag it to where I want it. That is on 1280x1024.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2007
    Wow. Awesome.
    I just wanted to give the developer a big WELL DONE SIR! bowdown.gif

I'm very impressed by the potential of what I'm seeing here - it's strange, in a way it has made me more excited about using Smugmug because I've often been frustrated by their upload clients and lack of a great client-side piece of software (curse Picasa and their lack of an API).

I've read though most of this thread, but this feedback may be redundant (and perhaps not even possible given the Smugmug API). It would be great if I could:

1) ...delete a picture
    2) ...create a new gallery
    3) ...double-click on an image and see a size "L" version of it
    4) ...change the order of pictures via drag and drop
    5) ...see a progress bar for what's going on. If Smugmug's servers are acting a bit slow, you click on a gallery and nothing happens, and you wonder what's going on

I'm using 0.3.11 beta on Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Again, REALLY great job. The BULK update is just AWESOME - I had a mixture of color = true and color = auto and wanted them all to be auto...but never got around to changing it because it would be so much clicking. Your tool saved me the time - thanks!

I'd be more than happy to kick in a few bucks for this and to encourage development - are you accepting donations?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2007
    Hi Jason,

Firstly...thanks for your kind words :D

You should be able to create a new gallery, by right-clicking at the Category or Sub-Category level.

The other things you mentioned are all doable and are on my list of things to be done.

There is no need for donations...but thanks for the offer. I actually work for SmugMug now, so develop of SmugBrowser will be ongoing along side other projects. I am currently working on the API, fixing some issues and adding some new methods to provide some additional functionality that was missing.

Cheers,

David
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    I just wanted to give the developer a big WELL DONE SIR! bowdown.gif

I'm very impressed by the potential of what I'm seeing here - it's strange, in a way it has made me more excited about using Smugmug because I've often been frustrated by their upload clients and lack of a great client-side piece of software (curse Picasa and their lack of an API).

I've read though most of this thread, but this feedback may be redundant (and perhaps not even possible given the Smugmug API). It would be great if I could:

1) ...delete a picture
    5) ...see a progress bar for what's going on. If Smugmug's servers are acting a bit slow, you click on a gallery and nothing happens, and you wonder what's going on

I'm using 0.3.11 beta on Firefox 2.0.0.3.

Again, REALLY great job. The BULK update is just AWESOME - I had a mixture of color = true and color = auto and wanted them all to be auto...but never got around to changing it because it would be so much clicking. Your tool saved me the time - thanks!

I'd be more than happy to kick in a few bucks for this and to encourage development - are you accepting donations?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Change properties on multiple galleries at once?
    How does one change one or more properties on a whole bunch of galleries at once? From my reading here, I thought that was a feature of SmugBrowser, but I can't figure out how to do it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jkhassonjkhasson Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    One more feature request
    Jason Dunn wrote:

1) ...delete a picture
    David, I just discovered SmugBrowser today, and am hooked. Thanks for the hard work!

One more feature request - is there an ability or feature in the works to allow wholesale copying of galleries to a new gallery? This would be a great feature since I use galleries for "bulk" storage of photos on SM, but also "featured" galleries that are selected photos from the bulk storage galleries. Rather than uploading the selected photos twice (once as part of the bulk gallery and again to put them in the selected gallery) or having to use the SM copy photo feature (copies only one at a time), a bulk copy would be great!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    How does one change one or more properties on a whole bunch of galleries at once? From my reading here, I thought that was a feature of SmugBrowser, but I can't figure out how to do it.
    Right click on the tree at any level and pick Bulk Updates or properities for
    single gallery..
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Right click on the tree at any level and pick Bulk Updates or properities for
    single gallery..

Oh, there it is - thanks. I swear it wasn't there one time when I tried a right click on a category. Maybe I just didn't see it, but I did look there.

What I expected when I first used the product is that I could multi-select galleries and then right-click on properties. That's how I modify multiple items in most other applications.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    When I try to use Bulk Update I get this error.

Alert: Reference Error GetElementbyID is not defined.

I'm trying to update settings on a category with one gallery.
    Using latest version, as far as I know.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    When I try to use Bulk Update I get this error.

Alert: Reference Error GetElementbyID is not defined.

I'm trying to update settings on a category with one gallery.
    Using latest version, as far as I know.

Hi Dana,

yeah, the category stuff isn't operational...i will try to have it all working for the next version.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    Hmm ok. I'm a little slow on the uptake here.

I can Bulk Update Sub-Categories?
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Oh, there it is - thanks. I swear it wasn't there one time when I tried a right click on a category. Maybe I just didn't see it, but I did look there.

What I expected when I first used the product is that I could multi-select galleries and then right-click on properties. That's how I modify multiple items in most other applications.

Hey John,

yes, what you expected would be nice. As I have stated through alot of the posts in this thread, is that the UI sucks...layout isn't my fortay, but using XUL seems to make it even harder.

Anyway, about a month ago, I started down the track of a rewrite using yui-ext. The framework is very cool, and it didn't take alot of time to develop some really nice UI stuff (drag-n-drop parenting of albums in the tree, etc). However, I have run into an issue with memory leaking...at stage i have been able to work out whether it's my implementation or the framework itself. My guess at the moment is that it's a little bit of both, but I need to do more testing to verify this.

But with a number of other things on the go atm, SmugBrowser is on the back burner little bit. I am working hard on the API and an API test framework currently, which I am hoping will not only give us alot more functionality...but a more robust offering everytime we release.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    I'm sorry to be so dense here.

I rearranged my galleries and made subcategories. I still can't get the Bulk Update to work.

What can I use Bulk Update on? I'm really confused.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2007
    I'm sorry to be so dense here.

I rearranged my galleries and made subcategories. I still can't get the Bulk Update to work.

What can I use Bulk Update on? I'm really confused.
    You can change most everything that's under customize gallery except themes.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2007
    OK, I get it now. I was trying to use the Bulk Update Menu item, not change things under Properties.

Thanks Allen
    I've been trying to update my whole site and I used your tutorial to make a drop down nav bar. I think I have it how I want it, but I'll post in another thread for someone to take a peek and check things for me.

A big thanks to Devbobo for this cool little tool.
    It will be a big time saver for me now that I've been hit over the head in proper usage at this point in development.:D
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Hi Dev,

I've been using SB a bit more and have a few queries/suggestions... mwink.gif

custom watermarks would be nice. I think the api doesn't let you at the moment ?!?

Bulk updates with custom settings as well.

Some way of changing the default 'create album' options.

Move, delete, feature etc...

cheers

Andrew
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I have a folder on XP with 292 images. These files are sorted from oldest to newest, and they are all sequentially named; e.g., picture0001.jpg, picture0002.jpg, etc.

I select all of the files and drag them to the upper-right portion of the smugbrowser window. After a few seconds the bottom portion of the smugbrowser window lists all 292 files.

The first time I did this only a few images were copied. So, I closed smugbrowser and reopened it. The removal all feature did not appear to work, or else I didn't wait long enough.

The second time I dragged the files all 292 were copied. The list of files in the smugbrowser window started with picture0004. The first 3 files (picture0001-picture0003) were at the bottom of the list instead of at the top. There may have been more out of sequence, but I didn't look too hard. I am not sure why smugbrowser is resorting the files. And clicking on the columns in the smugbrowser window does not resort the files.

Closed smugbrowser and tried again. Again, all 292 files copied. This time the first file in the list was picture0252. The files were listed sequentially through picture0292. Then the list started with picture0001 and was sequential through picture0251.