Options

SmugBrowser - Firefox/Flock Extension BETA

Comments

• Options
    chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    ok I found that my tree was hidden. I have 5 accounts in there (all the same) - is this going to be a problem?

Anyway, I right-click one and select login. Then it just sits there and says LOGGING IN, but never does. It's been like this for 5+ mins now.

I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 and XP too for what it's worth.
  • Options
    crj330crj330 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    chet79 wrote:
    ok I found that my tree was hidden. I have 5 accounts in there (all the same) - is this going to be a problem?

In response to the tree being hidden. That's why I created more than one account thinking that it didn't take the first time and you created 5 accounts. The opening page for SmugBrowser looked blank because of the tree being hidden. Perhaps a change could be made so the tree isn't hidden initially and others who are new don't make the same mistake of creating additional accounts thinking it didn't work when trying to create their account.

chet79, just curious, are you experiencing firefox closing on you at all since you are running the same version as myself or is yours just stuck in trying to load when logging in?

Regarding deleting your extra accounts........I don't think it is a problem but, David/devbobo, said to, "Do a search for smugbrowser.xml, delete that file then rerun SmugBrowser and add your original account again...otherwise, if you understand xml you can edit the file and delete the additional record."
  • Options
    chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    crj330 - no, my FF isn't closing on me, it just hangs when trying to log in.

thanks for the xml tip on deleting accts; I'll give it a crack at home.
  • Options
    mishnogrammishnogram Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Error in Smugbrowser
    I have been getting this error for the last little bit. I've tried going through all the messages seeing if I could find something similar but have not managed to find anything. I'm running XP Home and I've tried uninstalling, re-installing and am running the latest version. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

1270246045_eabc76dd62_o.jpg
    Min Lee
    lee-family.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    What purpose do the "Tools | Options" serve?
    Can you please tell me what purpose the Options under the Tools menu serve? I can discover no effect for the couple that I have tried changing. I was logged in to my Smugmug account when I tried it. Thanks.
  • Options
    iamhivesiamhives Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2007
    Cannot scroll down galleries
    If I have many galleries in category and the galleries go off the bottom of the left list box the scoll bar doesn't allow you to move down the list of galleries. I have to close the category - makes it difficult to see galleries that are towards the bottom of the list for a category

Otherwise, love the tool...
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 4, 2007
    Can you please tell me what purpose the Options under the Tools menu serve? I can discover no effect for the couple that I have tried changing. I was logged in to my Smugmug account when I tried it. Thanks.

Most of those items are no longer relevent, since I changed the way the UI works. :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    iamhives wrote:
    If I have many galleries in category and the galleries go off the bottom of the left list box the scoll bar doesn't allow you to move down the list of galleries. I have to close the category - makes it difficult to see galleries that are towards the bottom of the list for a category

Otherwise, love the tool...

yeah, I know about that issue, the scroll bar doesn't work...however, if you use your mouse wheel, it does scroll fine thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    mishnogram wrote:
    I have been getting this error for the last little bit. I've tried going through all the messages seeing if I could find something similar but have not managed to find anything. I'm running XP Home and I've tried uninstalling, re-installing and am running the latest version. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

1270246045_eabc76dd62_o.jpg

yes, I need to fix that bug :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Hi! Forgive me for not searching through 28 pages of posts hoping to find an answer -- but here's my question.

I have a huge portrait event at the end of this month. I started to create galleries for that today - I need probably 55 galleries. I had gotten to gallery 20, but it's very tedious, even using a template gallery and the quick settings. So I emailed to see if there was an easier way to duplicate the same gallery many times (about 35 times at this point). Andy directed me to download SmugBrower, which I have done. But I can't figure out how to copy a gallery.

I did what I found to be intuitive (that is, try the copy and paste commands) but nothing happened. I can't see any controls that say "copy gallery" or anything else to give me hints on how to accomplish this. At this point I probably could have gotten my 35 galleries made the old fashioned way... but SmugBrowser looks like a tool I need to learn anyway, so I would love to learn how to complete my task in SmugBrowser.

(BTW - I work on a Mac Powerbook Pro, so no right clicking if that were to be a tip someone would give me).

Can someone give me directions? Also, is there a tutorial somewhere? I don't see any directions to help me figure out how to work this SmugBrowser.

TIA.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    Hi! Forgive me for not searching through 28 pages of posts hoping to find an answer -- but here's my question.

I have a huge portrait event at the end of this month. I started to create galleries for that today - I need probably 55 galleries. I had gotten to gallery 20, but it's very tedious, even using a template gallery and the quick settings. So I emailed to see if there was an easier way to duplicate the same gallery many times (about 35 times at this point). Andy directed me to download SmugBrower, which I have done. But I can't figure out how to copy a gallery.

I did what I found to be intuitive (that is, try the copy and paste commands) but nothing happened. I can't see any controls that say "copy gallery" or anything else to give me hints on how to accomplish this. At this point I probably could have gotten my 35 galleries made the old fashioned way... but SmugBrowser looks like a tool I need to learn anyway, so I would love to learn how to complete my task in SmugBrowser.

(BTW - I work on a Mac Powerbook Pro, so no right clicking if that were to be a tip someone would give me).

Can someone give me directions? Also, is there a tutorial somewhere? I don't see any directions to help me figure out how to work this SmugBrowser.

TIA.

Hi Lori,

Sorry... unfortunately there is no copy/paste functionality at this point, but it definitely sounds like a great feature to have.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Well, this is a project that I have been working on and off
    <snip>
    Download it here. Once installed, run from Tools->SmugBrowser

Cheers,

David

Looks great, but I can't figure out how to install it. When I go to your page I see the install now over an .xpi link, but when I click it what I get is a display of the raw characters in the xpi, no install happens. Probably some obscure setting in Firefox, though I've installed this way before. Any ideas?
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    synature wrote:
    Looks great, but I can't figure out how to install it. When I go to your page I see the install now over an .xpi link, but when I click it what I get is a display of the raw characters in the xpi, no install happens. Probably some obscure setting in Firefox, though I've installed this way before. Any ideas?
    It's an extension or add-on, after install restart Firefox and look for it under
    the tools menu at the top.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Allen wrote:
    It's an extension or add-on, after install restart Firefox and look for it under
    the tools menu at the top.

It doesn't install. I have installed other add ons, I wouldn't be without noscript, for example. But when I click on install now I get a plain text page that starts out like the below. This tells me that something has come loose in Firefox somewhere, that it's no longer recognizing .xpi. But I have no idea how this happened, let alone how to fix it.
    PK
    �����唏6���������������chrome/PK���唏6铛巳|����������chrome.manifest}迋
    �0荦{�厜俸岨,i湇裛mZ湓胱騣�2铣痣_O骸紲JMo�
    鏝\侻P鎈缁喻�L积�#巷��yTu瑙z焱轾bユq媧��?魚]7C�h詈V�(孬c�PK
    �����唏6���������������components/PK���!w!6╤o���3�� ���components/nsISmugmugAccount.xpt}浢kA簝眶H阐/頴↑吐=)�-MCC稲h[锾Lv'橉醠2/�赺�飡�z�*榤?�壓3;晪I�.斌腽�2�璥鷅蘞q�:|p途Ⓝ�擢c�Xu鴶���?��-_�PZ螬�,硖琁}[绱氃uXi|:z2�端鮇we� 耀纸V�2&��5t珐
    亥徫_�<Ⓓ�2gv銍q,�
    蟪頁H狛aq搘小幵-�;h則儽�=C聏諢㎝�M��■A{鹗��3��玼冧酝起h謀樋�*�掟垸琯tm�>徐绋��;�}N�2{oz�鷐G縫刦曮�!T蕇I敺>嶕!h畾�7V3�;硰肱p湞��9?x�*蚀i.�蜆廳悠*i殟_�j}"U2隆>鞽0奶摱攟f{��湩nJ!Xlf�>�'[Yn齷汆�鹰�cw痾$帜�汉(6ibj陭*昺tL嶕��癴i莎&�屇<e�7~�筩k�/PK���胖6娯5����� ���components/nsISmugmugCategory.js炂甐湱�缌�p�bO�$楗mA没禸t@庲U�� 釱�柟i�}牮揄0�4鬹( 緰y��=wn鮝�?�苮)�1O賮'у掽騲�YFb� � ~C�9aY��漺?颔%檲1'��=厕�]�
    u滞駡檖r躱愚筊e#�d��9Nm報
    ��!瓋

(岍�4[�讜帟J禍M#篸9柫轧脔�孑q
    Brandon Smith
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    synature wrote:
    It doesn't install..../quote]
    Did you try this link?

http://smugbrowser.introversion.com.au/beta/
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    synature wrote:
    It doesn't install..../quote]
    Did you try this link?

http://smugbrowser.introversion.com.au/beta/

Yes, that's the link I tried. I've sent David an email describing what happens.

I installed the latest version of noscript using the same kind of link with no problem this morning.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2007
    synature wrote:
    Allen wrote:

Yes, that's the link I tried. I've sent David an email describing what happens.

I installed the latest version of noscript using the same kind of link with no problem this morning.

Follow up: I had downloaded the file, but the open on it simply produced the standard windows "I don't know what to do with this, do youwant to search the web or pick from a list." Since David was able to reply to my email and said use the file open from here, I did, and this time I went to the list of programs, and sure enough, Firefox was the recommended one and that did the trick.
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2007

hold the control key down when you click.
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    You might want to change the download link in the first post to "/beta"... It's currently pointing to "/alpha"... And to make matters more confusing, if you remove the "/alpha" or "/beta" you get another different version to download...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    How to control number of simultaneous uploads?
    I'm wondering if there is a way to control how many simultaneous uploads are performed by Smugbrowser?

I haven't found a pattern to it yet, but sometimes smugbrowser will upload 2 at a time, most often it will upload 8 at a time, and every now and then it will upload something like 30 at a time. I'm talking about the number of images that have a "progress bar" going. The number images for which bits of data are currently flying across the wire.

I love that it does more than one. It seems to be more efficient than Smugmug's own built-in uploaders. Two seems to be ideal to me.

The trouble is... the more uploads are running simultaneously, the more TIME IS LOST if the connection is broken (on purpose or on accident).

For example, right now I have eight uploads running. Each file on it's own is about 5Mb in size. Each file on its own will take approximately 2.5 minutes to upload. So with eight simultaneous uploads, it will be perhaps TWENTY minutes before any one of them finish (but then many of them will begin to finish at the same time). And the trouble with that is ... if connection is lost, let's say 18 minutes into the upload, then I've simply lost 18 minutes. I can't restart the files and recover those 18 minutes. The 18 minutes are simply lost.

It's times like this that I would want to go back to smugmug's uploader because, after 18 minutes, I would have at least uploaded 7 images and upon resuming after the lost connection, I could start up with #8.

Now lost connections are rare. But sometimes I have to "break the upload" myself because something urgent has come up for which I need my bandwidth back. So I'm the one that breaks the connection. Same problem. Same lost time. Only now I feel worse about it because it's my own fault.

And while 18 minutes doesn't seem too bad ... what about the times when smugbrowser decides to upload THIRTY images at a time? On those occasions, there is the potential for as much as 75 minutes of lost time on an upload.

Most of my uploads take hours to complete (I'm uploading weddings, for which there may be a thousand pictures to upload). And for the most part, I am very, very, very appreciative of smugbrowser. It has saved me a lot of time! It has made it much easier to upload my images to smugmug.

So again, all I'm really asking is this: is there a way to control the number of simultaneous uploads? I'd like to limit mine to just two.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    I'm wondering if there is a way to control how many simultaneous uploads are performed by Smugbrowser?

I haven't found a pattern to it yet, but sometimes smugbrowser will upload 2 at a time, most often it will upload 8 at a time, and every now and then it will upload something like 30 at a time. I'm talking about the number of images that have a "progress bar" going. The number images for which bits of data are currently flying across the wire.

I love that it does more than one. It seems to be more efficient than Smugmug's own built-in uploaders. Two seems to be ideal to me.

The trouble is... the more uploads are running simultaneously, the more TIME IS LOST if the connection is broken (on purpose or on accident).

For example, right now I have eight uploads running. Each file on it's own is about 5Mb in size. Each file on its own will take approximately 2.5 minutes to upload. So with eight simultaneous uploads, it will be perhaps TWENTY minutes before any one of them finish (but then many of them will begin to finish at the same time). And the trouble with that is ... if connection is lost, let's say 18 minutes into the upload, then I've simply lost 18 minutes. I can't restart the files and recover those 18 minutes. The 18 minutes are simply lost.

It's times like this that I would want to go back to smugmug's uploader because, after 18 minutes, I would have at least uploaded 7 images and upon resuming after the lost connection, I could start up with #8.

Now lost connections are rare. But sometimes I have to "break the upload" myself because something urgent has come up for which I need my bandwidth back. So I'm the one that breaks the connection. Same problem. Same lost time. Only now I feel worse about it because it's my own fault.

And while 18 minutes doesn't seem too bad ... what about the times when smugbrowser decides to upload THIRTY images at a time? On those occasions, there is the potential for as much as 75 minutes of lost time on an upload.

Most of my uploads take hours to complete (I'm uploading weddings, for which there may be a thousand pictures to upload). And for the most part, I am very, very, very appreciative of smugbrowser. It has saved me a lot of time! It has made it much easier to upload my images to smugmug.

So again, all I'm really asking is this: is there a way to control the number of simultaneous uploads? I'd like to limit mine to just two.

Thanks,
    David

At the moment, it's controlled by the internal firefox parameter network.http.max-connections-per-server, you can find/edit this by typing about:config in the address bar.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    At the moment, it's controlled by the internal firefox parameter network.http.max-connections-per-server, you can find/edit this by typing about:config in the address bar.

Cheers,

David

Hmmm.... so I wonder why it keeps changing? Why 30 connections one day, 8 connections most days and 2 connections every now and then?
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    Hmmm.... so I wonder why it keeps changing? Why 30 connections one day, 8 connections most days and 2 connections every now and then?

are you running fasterfox or something like ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    are you running fasterfox or something like ?

Actually I am. Hmmm... makes me wonder now. I can imagine it would configure Firefox to use more connections. Still curious about the variability of it though. Wonder if Fasterfox decides on the number of connections based on some kind of loading factor or something?
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    Actually I am. Hmmm... makes me wonder now. I can imagine it would configure Firefox to use more connections. Still curious about the variability of it though. Wonder if Fasterfox decides on the number of connections based on some kind of loading factor or something?

i'm not sure, but I definitely know that fasterfox adjusts the previously mentioned parameter. At some point, I will probably add my own parameter that limits the number of uploads...not sure when at this point.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    Add new subcategory under category doesn't "take"
    Hi-

I'm running 0.5.2 beta on FF 2.0.0.7, XP SP2. When I try to create a new subcategory under a category it doesn't "take" - it looks like it works but then the new subcategory isn't there. I tried a couple of times and then did it the hard way with the control panel on smugmug.

Any ideas?

Thanks - I enjoy using smugbrowser. Much faster than the control panel!

Zmom
    Zmom
  • Options
    jevidonjevidon Registered Users Posts: 102 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    Update Folders from Server?
    I would like to know if it is possible to initiate a request to update the tree. I normally will create new galleries through the website and then upload using smugbrowser...
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    jevidon wrote:
    I would like to know if it is possible to initiate a request to update the tree. I normally will create new galleries through the website and then upload using smugbrowser...
    You can right click anywhere on the tree and pick bulk update and it will apply
    to all galleries below. Is this what you're looking for?
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    You can right click anywhere on the tree and pick bulk update and it will apply
    to all galleries below. Is this what you're looking for?

no, he wants a refresh menu item...to rebuild the tree so any changes made on SmugMug are reflected in the tree.

I will add this feature at some point.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    no, he wants a refresh menu item...to rebuild the tree so any changes made on SmugMug are reflected in the tree.

I will add this feature at some point.
    Can't just logout and log in to re-get the tree update?