Options

SmugBrowser - Firefox/Flock Extension BETA

Comments

• Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    BTW - any way to custom set the number of simultaneous uploads? My upload stream is pretty crappy and having it try to do eight at a time makes the rest of my internet 98% unusable... too much packet tossing I guess... pings are in the 1000~2000ms range - whereas the old way with just two files at a time was barely noticable... pings in the 200~500ms MIGHT occur, but that was rare...

It'd be nice to set it depending on my mood - example - sleep = 8 at a time (it is faster) OR work/play = 2 or maybe 4 at a time :)

Thanks David - you are a true contributor and genious :) :devbobo
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 15, 2007
    Eriktank wrote:
    BTW - any way to custom set the number of simultaneous uploads? My upload stream is pretty crappy and having it try to do eight at a time makes the rest of my internet 98% unusable... too much packet tossing I guess... pings are in the 1000~2000ms range - whereas the old way with just two files at a time was barely noticable... pings in the 200~500ms MIGHT occur, but that was rare...

It'd be nice to set it depending on my mood - example - sleep = 8 at a time (it is faster) OR work/play = 2 or maybe 4 at a time :)

Thanks David - you are a true contributor and genious :) :devbobo

Erik,

The number of simulatueous uploads is governed by an internal firefox parameter (network.http.max-connections-per-server), you can adjust this parameter using about:config from the address line.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Awesome - I'm getting more FF savvy yet... appreciate the pointers.

FYI - your graphic is out dated on the first page of this thread now... AND the link still points to 5.1 alpha... need to put the /beta at the end of your homepage :)

Thanks again David!

EDIT: weird - it says 5.2 on the webpage - but when it installs - it lists it as 5.1 beta? :)
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Sorry to be an idiot
    Am new to Firefox (just installed it with the developers add in)...went to install SB but my system does not know what to do with the RDF file. What am I missing?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    How would I clear the password hint on multiple galleries
    I mistakenly set a bulk update password hint on 20 galleries using SmugBrowser. Now, I'd like to clear it in a Bulk Update. Is there a way to do that? It appears that if I leave the "hint" field blank, it won't change that field.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I mistakenly set a bulk update password hint on 20 galleries using SmugBrowser. Now, I'd like to clear it in a Bulk Update. Is there a way to do that? It appears that if I leave the "hint" field blank, it won't change that field.

John,

Yeah I should have something like that...let me add it and i will let you know when I am done.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Is this a bug?
    I had a whole category of galleries that I wanted to apply SmugIsland settings to and SmugBrowser didn't work how I expected so I wanted to see if this is a bug or not.

In this particular category were 6 sub-categories, each with 10-20 galleries. In SmugBrowser, I selected the category, right-clicked, picked Bulk Update, set the two SmugIsland options and hit OK. It took awhile, reported no errors and then looked like it was done. When I looked at the properties for the individual galleries in this category, none where changed.

If, instead I selected a sub-category and repeated the same process, it worked. So, I had to repeat the process on each sub-category. Still a time saver over the one at a time in the Smugmug UI, but not as good as it could have been.

So, it appears that you can't bulk update an entire category where there are sub-categories. Is that what you intended? Or a bug?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    RDF File
    What is an RDF file...and with what should I open it? My system does not know what to do with it...cannot install SB.
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Am new to Firefox (just installed it with the developers add in)...went to install SB but my system does not know what to do with the RDF file. What am I missing?
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    What is an RDF file...and with what should I open it? My system does not know what to do with it...cannot install SB.

Gary,

- Go to this url in Firefox.
    - Click "Install Now"
    - A box should pop up asking you to install.

If you are still having issues, I will take screenshots and post more detailed instructions.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks...that worked just fine!

Now I need to figure out what I'm doing! Laughing.gif!

- Gary.
    devbobo wrote:
    Gary,

- Go to this url in Firefox.
    - Click "Install Now"
    - A box should pop up asking you to install.

If you are still having issues, I will take screenshots and post more detailed instructions.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    gdpgdp Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2007
    ne_nau.gif

I don't know how I haven't seen this thread before... this is awesome!

Thanks!
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Keywords ??
    Hello David
    Is it possible to add keywords in Smugbrowser ?
    I tried it and it didn't work for meheadscratch.gif which does not of course mean that it can't be donene_nau.gif

Has anyone used Smugbrowser for this ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Holy frijoles! This is SO cool!!! Thank you so much!

I've been using StarExplorer (which I love!), but this is great so I can login to both (on for my personal site, one for my pro).

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    tree menu won't scroll
    I just downloaded the beta release, and I'm finding that the tree menu on the left won't scroll. I have a Weddings category with 42 sub-categories in it. I can see the first 18 sub-categories when clicking on Weddings in the tree menu. But the rest of the sub-categories are off the screen (down below the bottom of the window). Moving the scroll bar for the tree menu up and down does nothing at all.

Clicking on the Weddings category itself shows me all 42 weddings (a thumbnail and the name of the wedding party). But I can't double click or right click or do anything from the thumbnails in order to navigate into the unreachable folders.

Is it my installation? Anything I can do on my side to fix it? Or a bug in smugbrowsers?

Thanks, it otherwise looks great! :-)
    David
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    I just downloaded the beta release, and I'm finding that the tree menu on the left won't scroll. I have a Weddings category with 42 sub-categories in it. I can see the first 18 sub-categories when clicking on Weddings in the tree menu. But the rest of the sub-categories are off the screen (down below the bottom of the window). Moving the scroll bar for the tree menu up and down does nothing at all.

Clicking on the Weddings category itself shows me all 42 weddings (a thumbnail and the name of the wedding party). But I can't double click or right click or do anything from the thumbnails in order to navigate into the unreachable folders.

Is it my installation? Anything I can do on my side to fix it? Or a bug in smugbrowsers?

Thanks, it otherwise looks great! :-)
    David
    You have to use your mouse wheel for now to scroll until Dev refines the "beta" code. He is aware of it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2007
    Remove duplicate accounts and tree doesn't open
    Allen wrote:
    You have to use your mouse wheel for now to scroll until Dev refines the "beta" code. He is aware of it.

Hi,

I just downloaded SmugBrowser yesterday on the latest FF version and XP SP2.

I accidentally created two of the same accounts - how do I delete one?

Also, sometimes the trees would populate and sometimes would not open. The load time seemed lengthy - don't know if this was an installation issue on my part or just heavy activity at smugmug (this was about 10 pm eastern daylight time).

I have Firebug installed with FF but it is turned off.

After reading the prior post, am wondering if me using a pen tablet could be causing some problems? Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks - can't wait to get it working!

Zmom
    Zmom
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2007
    Zmom wrote:
    Hi,

I just downloaded SmugBrowser yesterday on the latest FF version and XP SP2.

I accidentally created two of the same accounts - how do I delete one?

Also, sometimes the trees would populate and sometimes would not open. The load time seemed lengthy - don't know if this was an installation issue on my part or just heavy activity at smugmug (this was about 10 pm eastern daylight time).

I have Firebug installed with FF but it is turned off.

After reading the prior post, am wondering if me using a pen tablet could be causing some problems? Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks - can't wait to get it working!

Zmom

Hi Zmom,

Do a search for "smugbrowser.xml" on your computer, delete that file, then relaunch FF/SmugBrowser and readd your account.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    ZmomZmom Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    it's sweet!
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Zmom,

Do a search for "smugbrowser.xml" on your computer, delete that file, then relaunch FF/SmugBrowser and readd your account.

Cheers,

David

Thanks - I also turned off quite a bit of Norton and my slow upload issues seemed to have gone away (perhaps coincidence) and figured out how to upload. Way faster!

Zmom
    Zmom
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    I have been using smugbrowser in XP and I just loaded it on a Vista machine. I noticed that there aren't as many concurrent upload streams running, is there a setting for that? It also seems much slower uploading, but that could just be Smugmug itself.
  • Options
    chet79chet79 Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    Hi David,

I just tried reinstalling SmugBrowser and I still get the same type of error. Do I need to do something else? ne_nau.gif

Thanks,
    Jennifer

I've just installed smugbrowser, and I too am getting this javascript error. what am I doing wrong?

OK I uninstalled then installed it again. Now, when I enter an account, nothing happens. Should there be a "connect" button or something?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I have been using smugbrowser in XP and I just loaded it on a Vista machine. I noticed that there aren't as many concurrent upload streams running, is there a setting for that? It also seems much slower uploading, but that could just be Smugmug itself.

Duh, I forgot I hadn't installed the FasterFox extension yet. Loaded it up and bam, 6 uploads at a time. Sweet!
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Duh, I forgot I hadn't installed the FasterFox extension yet. Loaded it up and bam, 6 uploads at a time. Sweet!

yeah, the number of consecutiv uploads is governed by the parameter network.http.max-connections-per-server :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    Don't mean to be pushy, but can anyone help with my problem (2 posts up)? Am I not using the latest version? (I installed from the link in devbobo's signature)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    chet79 wrote:
    Don't mean to be pushy, but can anyone help with my problem (2 posts up)? Am I not using the latest version? (I installed from the link in devbobo's signature)

sorry Chet,

right-click on the account in the tree, and select "Login"

Also, if you select "Properties", you can have it auto connect when it starts up.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2007
    cheers for the prompt reply David thumb.gif

I'll have a look when I get home, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the tree. I'll post a screen dump when I get home.
  • Options
    crj330crj330 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    firefox encountered problem/needs to close
    Ok, I was having some problems trying to get the SmugBrowser going and deleted my earlier message because I thought I figured it out. Well, I installed SmugBrowser and get as far as seeing my items in the tree, but when I try to upload a gallery, a message pops up saying firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close. I got this message a few times earlier when trying to log in, etc. but this is the first time I got this far. Also, my user name is listed twice in the tree and was wondering how to get rid of one. Any suggestions?

Thanksrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    crj330 wrote:
    Ok, I was having some problems trying to get the SmugBrowser going and deleted my earlier message because I thought I figured it out. Well, I installed SmugBrowser and get as far as seeing my items in the tree, but when I try to upload a gallery, a message pops up saying firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close. I got this message a few times earlier when trying to log in, etc. but this is the first time I got this far. Also, my user name is listed twice in the tree and was wondering how to get rid of one. Any suggestions?

Thanksrolleyes1.gif

i haven't got around to implenting an easy method yet rolleyes1.gif

Do a search for smugbrowser.xml, delete that file then rerun SmugBrowser and add your original account again...otherwise, if you understand xml you can edit the file and delete the additional record.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    i haven't got around to implenting an easy method yet rolleyes1.gif

Do a search for smugbrowser.xml, delete that file then rerun SmugBrowser and add your original account again...otherwise, if you understand xml you can edit the file and delete the additional record.

Cheers,

David
    Ok, I'll try probably the first recommendation. Could you possibly tell me why though firefox would want to keep closing on me? Getting message that firefox encountered a problem and needs to close. Once I can keep working in the SmugBrowser without it closing I'll get a chance to really work with it. So far though, this is really great!clap.gif

Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    crj330 wrote:
    Ok, I'll try probably the first recommendation. Could you possibly tell me why though firefox would want to keep closing on me? Getting message that firefox encountered a problem and needs to close. Once I can keep working in the SmugBrowser without it closing I'll get a chance to really work with it. So far though, this is really great!clap.gif

Thanks

Which version of FF are you using ? and on what OS ?

I have encountered that problem previously
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Which version of FF are you using ? and on what OS ?

I have encountered that problem previously
    I have Mozilla Firefox version 2.0.0.6 and have Microsoft Windows XP.thumb.gif