Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Very nice. I like the idea of farming. When you do the farming are you doing it like a timelapse and setting the WB to be consistent or are you letting it vary as needed?
    Because I shoot in RAW I can match the WB and everything else in post. The main consideration when shooting these with different lenses and positions is using my noggin to match size, luminosity and orientation. If you use a tripod and shoot multiple exposures over time from the very same POV than everything lines up and your only concern is luminosity.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    Because I shoot in RAW I can match the WB and everything else in post. The main consideration when shooting these with different lenses and positions is using my noggin to match size, luminosity and orientation. If you use a tripod and shoot multiple exposures over time from the very same POV than everything lines up and your only concern is luminosity.

Thanks for the information. I have a hunch I am going to be trying some new ideas.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2009
    hey Marcthumb.gif

I would love to ask:

I purchased a BIG calendar from your studio, (MAGISCHE WELTEN 2010 in the portrait version)

The cover image "Magic World" (also December image) truely looks magical, but how in the world did this come together? I mean, was this painting with light? or was this a sunbeam hitting the FG?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009

The cover image "Magic World" (also December image) truely looks magical, but how in the world did this come together? I mean, was this painting with light? or was this a sunbeam hitting the FG?

Aaron,

Yes, this is just a flash light used to paint in the FG rocks during a long exposure. Nothing to itmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2009
    ha!, "nothing to it" he says..... mwink.gif

hey thanks for the info Marc.thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2009
    Many have asked me how I use my point and shoot. So I wrote a blog post about it with a bit more detail HERE.

Happy Holidays!
    748262043_Z3yp3-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2010
    This is really not too nice of me:D but here is a pic of the hills I run up behind my house. I have been watching the news and all the snow fall so figured some California sunshine was appropriate. I have never seen the hills so green so soon. This could be a wildflower season like no otherdeal.gif

762829221_jYLpU-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2010
    Surf or shoot?

Gotta do both:D With my s90, I have been putting the camera in auto bracket, hand holding and getting some fun scenes to combine later in Photomatix. I will be sharing the technique in detail on my blog soon. This is a favorite surf spot early this morning. Were having a great surf winter here in SBthumb.gif

777069211_ET5Hn-L.jpg
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2010
    This is really not too nice of me:D but here is a pic of the hills I run up behind my house. I have been watching the news and all the snow fall so figured some California sunshine was appropriate. I have never seen the hills so green so soon. This could be a wildflower season like no otherdeal.gif

762829221_jYLpU-L.jpg

CRUEL! I just came in from walking my dog in -30C - so cold that my normally hyper Aussie Shepherd was begging to get back to the house and warm up his paws (me too for that matter).

Ah well - your photo gives us something to dream about :cry
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 1, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote:
    CRUEL! I just came in from walking my dog in -30C - so cold that my normally hyper Aussie Shepherd was begging to get back to the house and warm up his paws (me too for that matter).

Ah well - your photo gives us something to dream about :cry
    I shouldn't tell you we've been suffering from a bout of 60*F weather the past few days lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Hi Marc,

I took this photo last week as the sun rose over Kampala, Uganda. My question is this:

Do you think it would have been a better photo if I included a foreground object?
    OR
    Is it ok as is, with the sun as the subject?

Shot at 280mm with only a little processing.

22356_1324177713422_1500245025_2824237_1117427_n.jpg
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Hi Marc,

Do you think it would have been a better photo if I included a foreground object?
    OR
    Is it ok as is, with the sun as the subject?

Karl,

The only issue I have with this shot is that it could be anywhere, as I think you already understand. There is just not enough interest in the sun. Uganda must have some interesting subjects no doubtdeal.gif

Your signature on top is kinda coolmwink.gif the date on the bottom is no good:cry
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    Karl,

The only issue I have with this shot is that it could be anywhere, as I think you already understand. There is just not enough interest in the sun. Uganda must have some interesting subjects no doubtdeal.gif

Your signature on top is kinda coolmwink.gif the date on the bottom is no good:cry

Thanks Marc,

There are definitely interesting subjects, but it's a matter of getting to them. Do you think this one is better with a wider angle?

22356_1324177753423_1500245025_2824238_3428801_n.jpg

In regards to the frame, thanks for the feedback - I'll look at changing that when I get home.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Thanks Marc,

There are definitely interesting subjects, but it's a matter of getting to them. Do you think this one is better with a wider angle?

Muchclap.gif

Finding that subject is what its all aboutdeal.gif look forward to seeing more...
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2010
    We've had high surf and high tides this winter, taking away the sand and eroding bluffs. I noticed there are now many more rocks showing at most of my favorite beaches, so figured it was time to get to work and illustrate the unusual changing times.

786384999_gRNZj-L.jpg

786385263_DxXDe-L.jpg

786385448_FDRFx-L.jpg
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Great set Marc. What sort of lenses and exposure settings were you using on these?
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Awesome shots, Marc!! clap.gifclap.gif

What beach is this?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great set Marc. What sort of lenses and exposure settings were you using on these?

Thank you Tom

These were all taken with the 17m T/S lens. The first and third are two image stitches, camera stays still and lens is shifted side to side. The first one is a combination of three bracketed exp of each scene than run through Photomatix, then stitched together, then some Quick masking.
    The second image is a three image manual blend. Sometimes Photomatix does not do what I want so I have to go manualmwink.gif Which is also what I did for the third one.

The exposure times for the brackets started at about half a sec and went longer as the light got darker. I normally use F11 with this lens as there is so much depth of field. However, for the vertical I made a slight tilt to get the extreme depth of field.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2010
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Awesome shots, Marc!! clap.gifclap.gif

What beach is this?

We call this beach "Our Beach" as it has no official name other than the beach below Ellwood Mesa!
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    We call this beach "Our Beach" as it has no official name other than the beach below Ellwood Mesa!

Was this this morning? Never mind just read that it was evening. And I could have looked at the date on the post. :)
    So how was the shooting this morning? Did you get to Gaviota or El Capitan?
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    So how was the shooting this morning? Did you get to Gaviota or El Capitan?
    -Philip

Did not go as the wind kicked up and the clouds were somewhere else:cry
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2010
    I like the rocky beach. Lots of interesting lines in the rocks to match the clouds in the sky.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2010
    Muchclap.gif

Finding that subject is what its all aboutdeal.gif look forward to seeing more...

Thanks Marc, I have put the rest of my trip up here. All three of your shots above are amazing! Can't choose a favourite.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    Thanks Marc, I have put the rest of my trip up here. All three of your shots above are amazing! Can't choose a favourite.
    Thank you Karl

I looked at your post and enjoyed 5, 7, 9 and 12 as they are descriptive of the location. I dont believe all images should be show stoppers in the context of telling a story. I do believe that all the images chosen should be tellingdeal.gif

Good work and thank you for sharing itwings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2010
    I dont believe all images should be show stoppers in the context of telling a story. I do believe that all the images chosen should be telling

I see your point. Thanks for the tip Marc!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Got up early and tested the new 24mm F1.4 lens, which is the second version of this lens. As you may know Nikon has also released a version of this lens. I never knew the heavens were so visible above my home town. However, there is quite a bit of light from Los Angeles to the South. This lens is just as sharp as the new 17mm tilt/shift which is by far the sharpest Canon lens I have owned.

The lights in the ocean are the oil rigs!

810487162_bWGbu-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    I get dibs on that in DV :D

You've got a pretty nice chunk of the Milky Way.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Got up early and tested the new 24mm F1.4 lens, which is the second version of this lens. As you may know Nikon has also released a version of this lens. I never knew the heavens were so visible above my home town. However, there is quite a bit of light from Los Angeles to the South. This lens is just as sharp as the new 17mm tilt/shift which is by far the sharpest Canon lens I have owned.

The lights in the ocean are the oil rigs!

so you've got the 17TS-E eh? g'worn, show us some shots from it?mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    That shot is amazing Marc, can you tell us the exif and how-to along with any processing you did please?

Awesome!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    810487162_bWGbu-Th.jpg

That is Impressive!
    Aaron Nelson