Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You mean we are supposed to believe that you didn't PS the whole thing (which is relatively easy since you can lock the green and the head and just make everything else same pinkish purple)? mwink.gif

JK, great shot! thumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    No respect, I tell ya!!!!!!bowdown.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I know that this does not fall into the category of landscape or field/street, but I highly consider this shot to be one of the best ones that I have taken, and completely based on luck:

As a preface, I consider most photography of animals "luck." I cannot predict what they will do, nor can I communicate with them effectively to make them look a certain way or often times just stay put where they are so I can move around.

This shot was taken with my first digital camera, a very old 2.0 MP Sony point-and-shoot. This is the first aspect of luck that I consider. I did have a dSLR at the time but no time to run downstairs to grab it, which would have wakened my dog and disrupted the pose. This, IMO, was luck not really working with me (but there nonetheless).

Secondly, he fell asleep in this almost perfectl symmetrical position. He never does this and still has never done it in the 3 years since this photo was taken. Believe me, I've stalked him trying to catch him doing it so I can retake this photo with a "real" camera!

Thirdly, I had to crop a bit out of this photo to get him centered, to create the feeling of simplicity. But I didn't consciously do this at the time because I was much more inexperienced with composition. I played around with different aspects of post-processing in PS until I got something that looked right. Isn't this considered luck as well? I know all of us at some point play around with crazy adjustments that at first maybe didn't feel logical (or maybe my inexperience is showing here?).

Sorry again that this isn't of the appropriate category, but since we were discussing some of the more philosophical aspects of photography I thought it would apply. Mods please feel free to remove this if necessary.
    I like the image especially now that I understand how unique it is! I understand what how you feel regarding animals and their spontaneous behavior. However, you were obviously in tune with what behavior was unusual since you made a decision to take the picture even with a less than optimal camera.thumb.gif I can't tell you what a great decision that was!

Your decision to crop was based on instinct, and my guess is, the very same instinct that has guided you into the more creative side of photography. I say fallow that instinct and learn to understand it and than you will see that the image above has more to do with you than you might think.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    When I was living up in the Seattle area, I would make it a point to go to the tulip fest every year. This shot is from my first ever trip up there when I was still shooting with a P&S.

Now, I don't know this child, and I can guarantee you I didn't ask anyone to dress her in the same exact colors as the tulips in which she was playing. And I didn't stalk her around the tulip fields like a wierdo trying to get a chance shot. I looked over, she squatted down, and I got a pic. It's one of my favorites to this day.
    Great shot and story! I can relate to the feeling of stalking someone as a photographer, something I really detest doing my self. I guess that is why I'm not a paparassy!!!!! If you have not heard of Cartier Bresson, take a look at the work of the man who coined the phrase "the decisive moment"
    http://www.afterimagegallery.com/bresson.htm
    His work has influenced me greatly!

I would say you understood the unique moment quite well!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Luck
    I enjoy your stories and images of luck, so I am awaitin to hear about more of those lucky shots!rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited February 7, 2007
    I enjoy your stories and images of luck, so I am awaitin to hear about more of those lucky shots!rolleyes1.gif

A little less than a year ago, I went on a Boy Scout outing. I got up early to capture this image:

attachment.php?attachmentid=11580&stc=1&d=1143426031

Full story includes use of a tree limb as an improvised support for a relatively long exposure (fortuitous):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30708

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    A little less than a year ago, I went on a Boy Scout outing. I got up early to capture this image:

Ziggy
    This is perfect! I will download this file and make one change which I beileve you will like. However, I want you to know that your use of the tree branch as a tripod is classicthumb.gif The image conveys a great mood which I will make more detailed comments on once I complete the photoshop work. I will repost it here by Fri.

This is what I want to stress with this image: the mood, light, subject and composition are all working well BUT one section, that is the black horizon of death!!!!!

Here is the image with the bottom 2/3 slid up to cover most of the black horizon. I did this quickly just to illustrate my point so don't look tooooo close.
    edit.jpg

Here is what else I did just to kick it up a notch!
    Yellow was masked and lightened with curves.
    Red was masked and darkened with curves.

edit1.jpg

Ok, so why did I do this?

I want you to see that every little part of the image needs to be used to emphasize the subject. I understand that the image was cool in the first place, but I believe that is because of the light. I also understand that the conditions were limited leaving you with few options for working, thus the (branchpod). However, if you see this now in your work I think you can adjust the next time when the moment comes, which I believe it will since you are an avid scout leader/dad. Good for you!

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Marc,

Thanks so much for taking the time with this image.

If I understand correctly, the first changes you made promote the subject by eliminating the unnecessary competition from the black ridge in the background. That really is a striking difference that I hadn't considered myself.

The second changes promote the subject by creating more dramatic differences with the setting. Am I correct that you would try to more accurately follow the landscape in creating masks for the Curves adjustments, were it an actual application of the technique? (The areas marked in yellow and red seem somewhat nebulous in the example.)

Thanks again,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Marc,

Thanks so much for taking the time with this image.

If I understand correctly, the first changes you made promote the subject by eliminating the unnecessary competition from the black ridge in the background. That really is a striking difference that I hadn't considered myself.

The second changes promote the subject by creating more dramatic differences with the setting. Am I correct that you would try to more accurately follow the landscape in creating masks for the Curves adjustments, were it an actual application of the technique? (The areas marked in yellow and red seem somewhat nebulous in the example.)

Thanks again,

ziggy53
    Yes, they are not the exact masks used. However, most of my contrast masks are done with very large brushs and made to contuour the natural subject.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Wow!
    Just wanted to share this one with the group!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070205.html

Regarding the concept of luck, with open eyes and prepared intuition and proper training and experienced technique and and and,,,, I do believe this photographer got "LUCKY"
    Enjoy:ivar
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Just wanted to share this one with the group!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070205.html

Regarding the concept of luck, with open eyes and prepared intuition and proper training and experienced technique and and and,,,, I do believe this photographer got "LUCKY"
    Enjoy:ivar
    I love that photo! When I first saw it I was thinking to myself how I would have planned that one. My conclusion was this was the perfect example of the convergence of opportunity and preparation.

The preparation was for the fireworks and sunset pano. The comet and interesting weather was the opportunity that showed up to surprise almost everyone. It is a fantastic photo that is well crafted.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 16, 2007
    Marc, the work on Ziggy's image was a real eye opener, thanks. I'll be thinking about certain images with a new set of options in post. Cool stuff.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    I love that photo! When I first saw it I was thinking to myself how I would have planned that one. My conclusion was this was the perfect example of the convergence of opportunity and preparation.

The preparation was for the fireworks and sunset pano. The comet and interesting weather was the opportunity that showed up to surprise almost everyone. It is a fantastic photo that is well crafted.

thumb.gif You got it! I always joke when out in the field, "Now to make this scene really POP we just need some God Beams, rainbows and maybe a Grizzly Bear on the ridge". I now need to update that and include lightening, a comet and fireworksrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Marc, the work on Ziggy's image was a real eye opener, thanks. I'll be thinking about certain images with a new set of options in post. Cool stuff.
    Truth

Very good! I am enjoying viewing all the incredible images and hope to see more even the bad onesdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Olympic Gold!
    I'm off to Utah to photograph skiing and will be working with some Olympic Gold metal arielists. If I get a chance I will post some here during the tripne_nau.gif

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    I'm off to Utah to photograph skiing and will be working with some Olympic Gold metal arielists. If I get a chance I will post some here during the tripne_nau.gif

Cheers

Cool!

May the light be with you (one way or another.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Snow
    Great snow and more on the waywings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Great snow and more on the waywings.gif
    Marc, where were you shooting?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Sweet!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Marc, where were you shooting?
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=491760#post491760
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah yeah smart guy...I was wondering if he was in Park City with the US team or at Snowbasin with the Aussie team. I was at Snowbasin this past week, and since I have a season pass, am often there.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Marc, in honor of your artist-in-residence status...
    I give you my best impression of your twist on landscape... add a person in there:

132051276-L.jpg

;-)

Sorry I won't be able to make it to Glacier this year... the trip to Antarctica sorta killed my vacation time for the year. Next year!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    I give you my best impression of your twist on landscape... add a person in there:

Ok now I really appreciate your effort but this is what I was takin about!

Billglacier.jpg

Sorry I won't be able to make it to Glacier this year... the trip to Antarctica sorta killed my vacation time for the year. Next year!
    Congratulations on your glacier imagesthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Looks like you are getting the hang of taking pictures,, understatement!
    I took a long look at what you posted and enjoyed the compositions. Seriously, you have a great eye. Keep shootin!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Yeah yeah smart guy...I was wondering if he was in Park City with the US team or at Snowbasin with the Aussie team. I was at Snowbasin this past week, and since I have a season pass, am often there.
    Truth

I was at snow basin in 96 prior to its facelift and loved the remote ticket office which was a trailor in a dirt parking lot. However, I am at Alta and it is still coming down:D I will be over at the Canyons for the weekend and hope to get some mo light.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Truth

I was at snow basin in 96 prior to its facelift and loved the remote ticket office which was a trailor in a dirt parking lot. However, I am at Alta and it is still coming down:D I will be over at the Canyons for the weekend and hope to get some mo light.

Cheers

Yeah, we struggled with light last week. It's the price you pay for pow, boy did we suffer. :D I guess yesterday was the day up in LCC. I'll be out Wed night thru Sunday trying to shoot something worthwhile of Free Skiing Nationals at the Bird.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Congratulations on your glacier imagesthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Looks like you are getting the hang of taking pictures,, understatement!
    I took a long look at what you posted and enjoyed the compositions. Seriously, you have a great eye. Keep shootin!

ROFL at the edit, Marc! Seriously I'm LMAO over here.

Hopefully we'll meet again on a shoot somewhere. BTW Alex Grossman is off doing his own thing again -- got tired of the LA to Cupertino commute after 6 years. That guy is crazy!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Magic Wand!
    Here is Nikki Stone, Gold Medalist (Free skiing) in Nagano, still carrying here magic wand.

Magicwand.jpg

The avalanche conditions here in Utah have become very dangerous limiting our opportunity to photograph intended areas in the back country. Yesterday morning at the Alta Lodge where I was staying, we experienced "interlochen" which, in english means don't even think about stepping out of the structure you are in or you might get buried alive by snow. After the avalanche patrol completes its barrage of the surrounding mountains and the avalanche danger is reduced, a call is made from the local police notifying the folks in the canyon that it is safe to roam about.
    This year because of a rather large avalanche which buried part of The Cliff Hotel parking lot, just down the canyon from the Alta Lodge, the interlochen was extra strict and everyone was requested to leave their rooms and wait in the hotel basement until the restrictions were lifted. How cool is that!!!! and then the clouds lifted and we skied in waist deep powder.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Marc: NICE!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Here is Nikki Stone, Gold Medalist (Free skiing) in Nagano, still carrying here magic wand.

this is so freaking good. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Marc,
    Here is Nikki Stone, Gold Medalist (Free skiing) in Nagano, still carrying here magic wand..

Awesome catch! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    Outstanding!!

Not luck, preparation!!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin