Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Marc

Nice shots, I really like the second one. Nothing beats a shot with amazing clouds. Were these shots taken in black and white or converted from color?

MK
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Thank you guys!

I took both of these in RAW and coverted them. The cloud shot was two exposures, both with my 24mm tilt/shift lens, one shifted to the left and the other to the right. I then let photomerge work its magic and blend the two.
  • Options
    wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Hi.
    Marc,

Looks like you are in and out quite a bit so I'll be quick.

I admire your work considerably, and Josef's. I was fortunate enough to have some of my photos included in a book with with his and Barry Goldwater's (and nearly countless other photographers) last year. Being included with such good company has been inspiring, and I've been making an extra effort to improve. This is my second visit to the forum, and both times I've learned some pretty cool things from your residence. Thank you.

I'm going to be bold and post one of my shots. Any comment you may have would be deeply appreciated. If inappropriate, I don't mind being deleted/edited/ignored.

Take care- See you around someday.

760w--3796.jpg
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    wfeller wrote:
    Marc,

Looks like you are in and out quite a bit so I'll be quick.

I admire your work considerably, and Josef's. I was fortunate enough to have some of my photos included in a book with with his and Barry Goldwater's (and nearly countless other photographers) last year. Being included with such good company has been inspiring, and I've been making an extra effort to improve. This is my second visit to the forum, and both times I've learned some pretty cool things from your residence. Thank you.

I'm going to be bold and post one of my shots. Any comment you may have would be deeply appreciated. If inappropriate, I don't mind being deleted/edited/ignored.

Take care- See you around someday.
    Wfeller,

Yes, Barry Goldwater was a major influence on my grandfathers work in Arizona. Happy to hear your work was included and even more so that in so doing you have been inspired. Posting images is what the forum is all aboutthumb.gif
    If one of the moderators ever feels the post is in the wrong spot they are usually polite about moving it to the appropriate location.

Your image is interesting because of the pattern in the hills. I am trying to find the subject thoughheadscratch.gif I understand the warm light on the interesting hills as well as the moody sky above, which you included in the right proportion, by the way, but the hills don't hold my attention long enough maybe because they are neither an abstract nor focal point. By focal point, I am referring to what I would term a bold line or shape created by the hills and/or shadows of the hills. On the positive side, I do like the warm light and especially how it tapers from dark in the FG to light in the BGthumb.gif

I look forward to seeing more of your images.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    Wfeller,

Yes, Barry Goldwater was a major influence on my grandfathers work in Arizona. Happy to hear your work was included and even more so that in so doing you have been inspired. Posting images is what the forum is all aboutthumb.gif
    If one of the moderators ever feels the post is in the wrong spot they are usually polite about moving it to the appropriate location.

Your image is interesting because of the pattern in the hills. I am trying to find the subject thoughheadscratch.gif I understand the warm light on the interesting hills as well as the moody sky above, which you included in the right proportion, by the way, but the hills don't hold my attention long enough maybe because they are neither an abstract nor focal point. By focal point, I am referring to what I would term a bold line or shape created by the hills and/or shadows of the hills. On the positive side, I do like the warm light and especially how it tapers from dark in the FG to light in the BGthumb.gif

I look forward to seeing more of your images.

Thanks for replying Marc. I have so many things I need to learn, and I'm enjoying learning them. However, I think I need to develop my eye for --not sure-- elegance maybe. I just get so wrapped up being somewhere and it all looks so good. I am slowing down and loosening up. Returning to places a couple of times seems to make picking a shot easier. I'm heading out in the morning for a couple days to another spot I've been to a few times. Thank you for giving me something to look for :)
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2007
    New ideas
    Here is an interesting link.

I was intrigued by the term "metaverse" which is the universe of metadataheadscratch.gif and how it is being used to hyperlink images together thus creating larger conglomerate images:wow
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007

I was intrigued by the term "metaverse" which is the universe of metadataheadscratch.gif and how it is being used to hyperlink images together thus creating larger conglomerate images:wow

Things like this get me going interminably. In 1995 I started working on my own project concept of a regional scale interactive environment. It didn't take long to realize that one person will never be able to complete the model, but sure is fun to develop-

This is so far beyond what I imagined would be possible in so short a period of time. I think it's amazing, and great, that someone is able to put it ALL together (especially with computational capabilities). Wow, how things are changing!
    Anybody can do it.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Thank you guys!

I took both of these in RAW and coverted them. The cloud shot was two exposures, both with my 24mm tilt/shift lens, one shifted to the left and the other to the right. I then let photomerge work its magic and blend the two.
    Beautiful!

And two more techniques to learn.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007

Yeah, that is really really cool actually. I'd love to have a play with it.

Did you see that on Dgrin by any chance? :D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    wfeller wrote:
    Things like this get me going interminably. In 1995 I started working on my own project concept of a regional scale interactive environment. It didn't take long to realize that one person will never be able to complete the model, but sure is fun to develop-

This is so far beyond what I imagined would be possible in so short a period of time. I think it's amazing, and great, that someone is able to put it ALL together (especially with computational capabilities). Wow, how things are changing!

The folks that worked together on this build each other up in the same way artist do, if they are available to listen and share, ya know what it's called "creative intervention". I have a friend who shared this and keeps an eye on the goins on at MS. I will continue to share when I get more good stuff, of course it's all on linemwink.gif
    In the mean time not much has changed in the desertthumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    Great Photography :wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Good grief, makes me realise how much I'm just playing at this game, wonderful shots.

Charlie
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Wonderful.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2007
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Thank you all for your kind comments regarding the story:D

I have been away on a vacation in Hawaii trying hard not to work, but could not pass up this Hawaiian blessing nor sharing it with you.

182846334-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    Another gorgeous scene Marc, how much do you enhance your colours during PP?

Charlie
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Another gorgeous scene Marc, how much do you enhance your colours during PP?

Charlie

Every image varies, but most often the colors pop when I make regional contrast changes. For this image of the rainbow, I made a curves adj layer for the sky and darkened it by dragging down the appropriate section of the curve. This change in the luminosity saturated the colors enough! In addition I added a slight bit of contrast to the grass field. I do this to the regions of most of my digital images to rebuild the appropriate contrast ratios since the the camera records only one ratio for any one exposure. This could change in the future as chip manufacturers go to more advanced senors that capture multiple values within each pixel.

This image was taken one minute after sunrise!
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Thanks for the info Marc, I always seem to be boosting saturation levels quite heavily, in future I'll concentrate on getting the contrast correct first and then see what's needed.

Charlie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    I've posted a Grand Tour of Marc's studio. Check it out. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2007
    This image was taken by my father when I was about 8 years old. For those of you who are joining us in Glacier I hope to visit this location, Iceberge Lake, and take a similar photo. Most likely the ice will be gone:cry

198177018-L.jpg
  • Options
    Diane MillerDiane Miller Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2007
    Tilt/Shift lenses and more megapixels
    Hi Marc,

I'm new here and delighted to have a chance to chat with you. I've been a Muench fan for a long time and did a workshop with your father several years ago.

I loved your article in OP about T/S lenses. Could you clarify some things?

1) The amount of overlap:
    I'm guessing you can get 2 horizontal images with about a 25% overlap with a full-fame, and 2 images that just meet or actually have a small gap between with one of the smaller sensors (Canon 1D or 40D.)

2) Pano head gear:
    You mention pano head gear, but to get just 2 images you are relying only on shift, with no camera movement -- is that correct. The pano head would just function as usual, to let you go even more panoramic in your capture, but is not necessary for capturing two adjacent images from the image circle of the lens?

3) Use of teleconverters:
    Does the use of a teleconverter reduce the image circle? In other words, is a 45mm T/S with a doubler the same as a 90mm? (Of course the doubler will cause some loss of sharpness, more so at the edges of the image circle I would assume.

4) Modification of the tilt axis:
    Can you expand on this. Is it necessary or just a convenience?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    Diane,

Marc's at the shootout in Glacier. I'll make sure he sees this so he can respond after he returns. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2007
    Hey Marc,

Any chance you could post a little tutorial for that lumiglow technique that you showed us? I forgot how to do it, and I have an image that might be nice with a little lumiglow...

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    1) The amount of overlap:
    I'm guessing you can get 2 horizontal images with about a 25% overlap with a full-fame, and 2 images that just meet or actually have a small gap between with one of the smaller sensors (Canon 1D or 40D.)

The key is to not roll the front element out past the white lines which are painted on the fixed section of the lens but 25% is about it with the full size sensor. With a small sensor you will have about 10% overlap.

2) Pano head gear:
    You mention pano head gear, but to get just 2 images you are relying only on shift, with no camera movement -- is that correct. The pano head would just function as usual, to let you go even more panoramic in your capture, but is not necessary for capturing two adjacent images from the image circle of the lens?

Yes, for 2 images with no camera movement you don't need any pano equipment.

3) Use of teleconverters:
    Does the use of a teleconverter reduce the image circle? In other words, is a 45mm T/S with a doubler the same as a 90mm? (Of course the doubler will cause some loss of sharpness, more so at the edges of the image circle I would assume.

Have not tried this yet, but will see what happens. I would guess that it will reduce the image circle too much.

This is necessary for one type of landscape image that I use often, near/far. The camera is mounted on a tripod with a bubble level and the front element is shifted down to bring the foreground into view. Then the front element is tilted down to alter the plane of focus from 90 degrees to around 70 or 80 degrees allowing the closest and farthest subject matter to be in focus. The lens comes from Canon with the tilt movement side to side. Canon will alter the lens for around $100 or if you find someone nice maybe less.

Marc
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Hey Marc,

Any chance you could post a little tutorial for that lumiglow technique that you showed us? I forgot how to do it, and I have an image that might be nice with a little lumiglow...

Thanks,
    Ben

Sure, it is kinda coolmwink.gif

I will post it here when complete.
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2007
    Wow
    For those amazed by new imaging technology check this out.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2007
    Sure, it is kinda coolmwink.gif

I will post it here when complete.

Thanks,

I'll look forward to it!
    For those amazed by new imaging technology check this out.

Wow, That's pretty cool!
  • Options
    Diane MillerDiane Miller Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 13, 2007

This is necessary for one type of landscape image that I use often, near/far. The camera is mounted on a tripod with a bubble level and the front element is shifted down to bring the foreground into view. Then the front element is tilted down to alter the plane of focus from 90 degrees to around 70 or 80 degrees allowing the closest and farthest subject matter to be in focus. The lens comes from Canon with the tilt movement side to side. Canon will alter the lens for around $100 or if you find someone nice maybe less.
    Marc

I started to question why I couldn't just point the camera down and tilt the lens (to get the maximum DOF from a tilted plane of focus) but I assume the shift is necessary to allow you to keep the camera level in order to actually pan side to side, since you have used the shift for another purpose. Clever!

BUT -- how does the improved pano stitching in CS3 stand up to this method, which would be flawless if you can get a perfect level.
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2007
    I started to question why I couldn't just point the camera down and tilt the lens (to get the maximum DOF from a tilted plane of focus) but I assume the shift is necessary to allow you to keep the camera level in order to actually pan side to side, since you have used the shift for another purpose. Clever!

BUT -- how does the improved pano stitching in CS3 stand up to this method, which would be flawless if you can get a perfect level.
    Diane,

The new photomerge in CS3 works very well. However, the perspective does get tweeked and the stitched results will change the subject some. The main reason I want the camera back stationary for the two exposures is to maintain point of view with a WIDE ANGLE LENS, which if changed creates much larger problems with sugject matter inches or even several feet from the front element, than subject matter much further away.

Also regarding the new photomerge, I have been bangin away hand held with a point and shoot even in "JPEG mode" and stitching those, making wonderful panos. My concern is not controlling perspective but rather generating interesting unexpected compositions with the technique.

211620738-L.jpg