Options

I2E Image Editor Discussion

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited May 20, 2009 in Finishing School
It's that time of year, folks. Many of us will be gathering in our homes, celebrating the holidays. Out come our cameras, and our flashes. Wouldn't you like to get great shots like this?
112516839-L-1.jpg112516218-L.jpg

Let's hear from an expert in this situation, our Very Own Baldy, and find out how he gets such great exposure, and color. Whether he's shooting zillions of fancy classic cars at the Concours d'Elegance, or a cattle call with Santa, Baldy gets it right, at shoot and in post. Hours of Photoshop? Not.

I'm hoping that if we shout loud enough, Baldy will come to this thread, and talk about how he sets up at time of shooting, and then what he does afterwards. Camera settings, and what about gear, flash, flash technique, shooting style (composition, etc.)? What do you use in post :ear Yo, Baldy!!

:1drink :eat

Enjoy (fun and well-exposed) photography,

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    I'm subscribing to this thread...I'm always bummed at how holiday photos turn into ....well....something you throw in a drawer or box! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    git r duuunnnn :rambo
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    Hahaha... Thanks, but I'm awed with your photography a lot more than by my family snappies.

Tip #1: Cheat. You too can get the exposure, shadows, and skin right in post with a cheat no one will know about except us, and I might not tell (although I can tell you cheated at a glance).

The cheat is to use i2e: http://www.colour-science.com

You can buy it pretty cheaply online and whip through lots of photos fast. I still use Photoshop for special things, but these snappies with just flash mounted on camera got passed through i2e in the blink of an eye and I threw them online with no Photoshop.

Andy is a major convert and fan too and can give all the latest about how to get it.

I'm on the run at the moment but when I get a chance I'll show those shots before and after i2e.

Why has no one heard of i2e? Must be marketing, because the product rocks.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    Hahaha... Thanks, but I'm awed with your photography a lot more than by my family snappies.

Tip #1: Cheat. You too can get the exposure, shadows, and skin right in post with a cheat no one will know about except us, and I might not tell (although I can tell you cheated at a glance).

The cheat is to use i2e: http://www.colour-science.com

You can buy it pretty cheaply online and whip through lots of photos fast. I still use Photoshop for special things, but these snappies with just flash mounted on camera got passed through i2e in the blink of an eye and I threw them online with no Photoshop.

Andy is a major convert and fan too and can give all the latest about how to get it.

I'm on the run at the moment but when I get a chance I'll show those shots before and after i2e.

Why has no one heard of i2e? Must be marketing, because the product rocks.

http://blogs.smugmug.com/great-prints/2005/06/24/the-sweetness-that-is-i2e/

There's more to it than that. You also use the flash well, at time of shoot. You provide great light. Bounced. Diffused. Not much evidence of the nasty harsh flashy thing.

i2e? You guys should really give it a try. It's quite amazing. See the link Baldy gave.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    I can find the site and how to download a sample software, but no place to actually buy.

Do you buy from the manufacturer or an outside vendor? Must you use the 20 day trial first then be contacted?

How's this work? Can we run them through smugmug's license?

OK,OK I found it under software - not an especailly easy way to find it......
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:
    I can find the site and how to download a sample software, but no place to actually buy.

Do you buy from the manufacturer or an outside vendor? Must you use the 20 day trial first then be contacted?

How's this work? Can we run them through smugmug's license?

OK,OK I found it under software - not an especailly easy way to find it......

Click "image editor" on the left hand side. Send them an email and you'll get a demo license key.

There's also a plugin to Photoshop (win only).
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    This is very cool stuff. The interface is a little clunky, but the quality of the result is outstanding!

One issue I have is that the interface truncates off the bottom third on my 12" laptop. I cant scroll down and do not have access to the bottom 10% of the screen or the individual adjust buttons.

I did a work around by putting some photos in a folder and pushing adjust all, but that isnt as precise as I would like.

Think this is a trial issue or just more of a clunky interface?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You also use the flash well, at time of shoot. You provide great light.
    I'll come back to i2e, but it turns out I just hate the look of light straight from a camera-mounted flash.

So the first thing I always do is look for surfaces I can bounce off of, meaning a white wall or ceiling that's close enough to where I'm gonna take the pic. I was lucky in this house because it had a fairly low white ceiling.

The second thing is I don't like the flash to be brighter than the room lights. Then it casts a big shadow and the rest of the room looks dingy. So I always go around and turn on every light in the room, light candles, shoot towards windows, etc. And I keep the flash output around the level of the house lights if I can.

112512638-L-1.jpg

I just think it adds a lot of good cheer to see light flowing in from outside the room and to have no dark corners.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    ie2 and graininess

Is it just me or do the pictures get a bit grainy after some fixes? Been playing with the trial and it seems some look grainier after color alterations. Do I need to change a setting?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    Shima wrote:
    Do I need to change a setting?
    Yes, don't use too much shadow recovery. In Image Editor, I have it at the next-to-lowest-setting.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    Shima wrote:
    ie2 and graininess

Is it just me or do the pictures get a bit grainy after some fixes? Been playing with the trial and it seems some look grainier after color alterations. Do I need to change a setting?
    The preview image goes horribly grainy instantly, but when you click the save image button, it does a much better job of processing before saving and should give much better results.

One of the things i2e does is bring up the shadows, and as Andy says, it usually brings them up too much for my tastes. As a default, I bring up the shadows half as much as their default setting.

Outside on sunny days when shadows are harsh and the ISO of your camera is turned low, I bring up shadows much more and it really helps. I'll post examples later.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    The preview image goes horribly grainy instantly, but when you click the save image button, it does a much better job of processing before saving and should give much better results.

One of the things i2e does is bring up the shadows, and as Andy says, it usually brings them up too much for my tastes. As a default, I bring up the shadows half as much as their default setting.

Outside on sunny days when shadows are harsh and the ISO of your camera is turned low, I bring up shadows much more and it really helps. I'll post examples later.

What percentage is best? I lowered it from 100 down to 50 in the options where you can set defaults and that seems a bit better, would this still be a bit too high or just about right? Thanks :)

Any other defaults I should tweak differently?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    I too noticed this instant grainieness, but then see it much smoother after saving.

I am using their Image Editor as a beta trial and I must admit to being very impressed - but mostly impressed with people shots. I did a bulk revision of a bunch of indoor basketball, that I had pushed to iso 1600 and -3/4ev to stop motion blur and I was very pleased with the bulk corrections.

This program is in my stable for a while - I will purchase a home license after the trial period.

The result:

116707553-M-1.jpg

Before:

116521572-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:
    I too noticed this instant grainieness, but then see it much smoother after saving.

I am using their Image Editor as a beta trial and I must admit to being very impressed - but mostly impressed with people shots. I did a bulk revision of a bunch of indoor basketball, that I had pushed to iso 1600 and -3/4ev to stop motion blur and I was very pleased with the bulk corrections.

This program is in my stable for a while - I will purchase a home license after the trial period.

The result:
    Before:

Wow! awesome results :) I'll post some of mine later
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
    edited December 15, 2006
    There are times that bounce flash isn't practical, even though I prefer it.

The following images are all using a homemade "scoop" reflector on a Sigma 500 Super flash in ETTL-II mode, attached to a "flip" bracket and using a Canon off-camera cord. Exposure was manual at f2.8 and f4, with 1/200sec shutter, ISO1600. These are at night, in my father's print shop. Ambient light was about half of the flash exposure. Camera was a Canon XT with Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 EX lens. Post-processing was reasonably minimal, and I used Picassa and Neat Image (demo).

These are from last weekend, when we celebrated my mother's birthday.

My mother:
    116991264-D.jpg

Her cake, furnished by my sister:
    116991241-D.jpg

My sister Kate:
    116991247-D.jpg

Will, one of my nephews:
    116991254-D.jpg

My Aunt Zelma, with Will's dog:
    116991233-D.jpg

My daughter Whit, with her dog Deisel:
    116991227-D.jpg

The cost of materials for the "scoop" was less than $5USD, so I'm pretty pleased with the results. The reason I didn't use bounce is because the room has very high ceilings, and a fairly sharp angle.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:
    The result:

116707553-M-1.jpg

Before:

116521572-M-1.jpg
    That IS impressive! Not only did it improve the brightness and contrast, it also moved the players around! :D
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    While it is more expensive, I use Pixel Genuis Photokit Color 2.

http://www.pixelgenius.com/color2/index.html

One option allows for you to adjust up or down by quarter stops and it also makes burning and dodging much easier with autmation along with a ton of other color techniques. Fantastic product. I already used their fantastic sharpener product before purchasing this one.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2006
    ChuckWC wrote:
    That IS impressive! Not only did it improve the brightness and contrast, it also moved the players around! :D
    lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    lol3.giflol3.gif

Man, you guys have good eyes!

Nice catch!
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    A little fustrated w/ that program now...

I went to options and set it to save originals in a subfolder... instead I had two copies of the modified ones, which really sucked since it added too much grain for my tastes into a lot of my darker ones and I wanted to revert but couldn't...

Oh well... guess I'll have to wait until tonight to reshoot my Hanukkah shots....
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    Hard to blame the program for operator error!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

BUT, as I indicated earlier, its a clunky interface and you need to be careful to watch your folders. I have two, input and output and put those on the screen before I say adjust all.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    Zanotti wrote:
    Hard to blame the program for operator error!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

BUT, as I indicated earlier, its a clunky interface and you need to be careful to watch your folders. I have two, input and output and put those on the screen before I say adjust all.

Good luck.

Do explain how "save originals in /original subfolder" would result in it *not* doing this. That's the part I don't get.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2006
    Shima wrote:
    Do explain how "save originals in /original subfolder" would result in it *not* doing this. That's the part I don't get.
    ne_nau.gif I just save my originals in another folder that I create and specify.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2006
    Shima wrote:
    What percentage is best? I lowered it from 100 down to 50 in the options where you can set defaults and that seems a bit better, would this still be a bit too high or just about right? Thanks :)
    That's a very good question...

i2e comes with the default at 100. At SmugMug for our autoadjust default, we use 50.

For my own shots, if I'm in a hurry I pick 100 for outdoor shots and either 0 or 50 for indoor shots, depending.

Outdoors, it's really great for making shadows less deep in faces.

On this group of shots where some were outdoors, some indoors, and I didn't have time to go through each shot independently, I just set it at 50. Here's what the different levels look like on the shot Andy posted earlier:

117825594-O.jpg

You'll notice i2e identified Ann's hair as a shadow area and kept bringing it up. I don't particularly like that and maybe would have preferred this shot to have no shadow adjustment. That's one of the downsides of having to pick one number for autoadjust. If I did this for 10 other shots, you might pick a different shadow amount for each, but in our experience 50 is the best compromise.

I also bring up the overall brightess by 10 points by default.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2006
    Baldy wrote:
    That's a very good question...

i2e comes with the default at 100. At SmugMug for our autoadjust default, we use 50.

For my own shots, if I'm in a hurry I pick 100 for outdoor shots and either 0 or 50 for indoor shots, depending.

Outdoors, it's really great for making shadows less deep in faces.

On this group of shots where some were outdoors, some indoors, and I didn't have time to go through each shot independently, I just set it at 50. Here's what the different levels look like on the shot Andy posted earlier:

You'll notice i2e identified Ann's hair as a shadow area and kept bringing it up. I don't particularly like that and maybe would have preferred this shot to have no shadow adjustment. That's one of the downsides of having to pick one number for autoadjust. If I did this for 10 other shots, you might pick a different shadow amount for each, but in our experience 50 is the best compromise.

I also bring up the overall brightess by 10 points by default.

Yeah in that case I like the no shadow... thanks for the advice on percentages :) Helps alot.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    So before this turned into an i2e discussion, it was about getting good simple and impromptu shots at the holidays....

It's after the holidays, how'd everyone do? Paying more attention to my flash bouncing this year and snapping away a little bit more got me this:

119074067-M.jpg

Almost no work in post, and this wasn't even in RAW. Just some good technique (and a bit of luck :D). Even the little black dog, who is impossible to photograph as those of you with black pups know, came out nicely!

Thanks to this thread for the inspiration. wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Well, this year the pressure was on. Everyone else forgot to bring their camera or their memory card, so capturing photos was all on me!!! I've only used my flash a couple of times so it was pretty confusing. I wanted to bounce the flash and use for catch lights and fill. Walls were painted green so stayed away from them. I neglected to remember a very minor detail... that the ceilings were 2 stories high and vaulted! Ok...so a little under-exposed, except in the kitchen where the ceilings were low and tops of heads were a little hot. I have lots to learn still with flash, but hey, I have pictures unlike the rest of my family! Had some major issues with skin colors, especially on this first shot taken outside on the patio at night with a light that caused some weird colors. I re-worked it tonight after re-reading the skin tute and I think it looks much better. If things look "off"...let me know!!! Other big issue for me...low light made it tough for auto-focus and tough for my lousy eyes to manually focus. Here's a few of my favorites. We celebrated Feliz Navidad style!

118617578-M-2.jpg

118703629-M.jpg

118712614-M.jpg

118756372-M-1.jpg

119002781-M-2.jpg

Of course, one of the kids is invariable OOF....
    118669495-M.jpg

And one of the adults invariable blinks their eyes!!!
    118707791-M.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    Look's like Saurora's xmas was quite the fiesta! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    I wrote about using off camera flash for family candids here

Here is a result of that exploration, shot in a room that was too dark to read in

118657736-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    My pregnant sister-in-law (7 months along):
    119497066-M.jpg

Obviously I didn't take this one (though it was done on my camera), but gotta throw it in, the husband, me, and his parents dog:
    119498322-M-3.jpg

My husband unwrapping the Pirates Monopoly I got for him (he collects monopoly sets)
    119500318-M-1.jpg

Read the shirt and understand this man, my father in law, is a pastor. His oldest daughter got it for him :)
    119500959-M-1.jpg%5C

Guess she liked the ornaments (my mother in law)
    119501581-M-1.jpg

Not a fan of the shadows, but my in laws look happy:
    119520381-M-1.jpg