Options

I2E Image Editor Discussion

1235»

Comments

• Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    I own i2e Pro 3.0.07 and noticed that 3.1.x is out. But, their ClubSmug pricing doesn't have a price listed for "minor" (3.0 -> 3.1) upgrades, just "major" (2.x -> 3.x).

I wrote to them asking for a price. They said it was $200 (no, that's not a typo) to do a MINOR upgrade. The MAJOR upgrade, as a smugmug price is only $45..... Seems odd that:

1) The upgrade price for a MINOR version is more than the ClubSmug price for a brand new purchase ($150).
    2) The upgrade price for a MINOR version is more than four times as expensive as for a MAJOR version upgrade.

Disappointed in the customer service :(

David

I had actually done the same thing-emailed them a few months ago and was given the same answer $200 upgrade. I emailed back to ask more specifically if they knew what I was trying to upgrade from and inquired about smugmug and never heard from them. In the past they had been very good at responses. I would love to know if anyone from Smugmug has more info on this because the upgrade sounds nice but honestly, not at that price for what I do with it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    How does it do on this problem image? Note that the full sized original is available here.
    10 second adjust -- I just had to try before I had to leave for work...
    539163154_a9kLK-M.jpg

This was the one button adjust with two slider changes (10s max) using the previous version of the software (haven't upgraded yet) and I might try the B&W when I get home. I think if i spent a minute on it, the results would be better. My conclusion of the software remains -- PS will provide better results for individual images, but for bulk adjustment for a large quantity of photos (e.g. family gatherings) and when "good enough" is required, I2E works just fine.

541450592_ZkkNT-M.jpg

And Colour-Science did respond: -- answered here

As for being "disappointed", "bad customer service", for not lowing the price for smuggy customers, etc. -- remember -- Colour-Science was being generous with their discount. And a discount is just that -- a discount and a decrease in cost is not a given right. Any company has the option of taking away a benefit...

Do I want the discount? YES! Do I want the price cheaper? OF COURSE!

But I'm willing to pay for a software that *works* and don't forget that it's still cheaper than Photoshop. If they provided a discount for the upgrade, I might have jumped on it, but without it, I'm still deciding if the current version is sufficient for my purposes. I probably will upgrade one of these days...
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    As for being "disappointed", "bad customer service", for not lowing the price for smuggy customers, etc. -- remember -- Colour-Science was being generous with their discount. And a discount is just that -- a discount and a decrease in cost is not a given right. Any company has the option of taking away a benefit...
    You're right.. They can do what they want. But, when a MAJOR upgrade is 25% of the cost of the MINOR upgrade, something's wrong.

When repurchasing the entire program ($150) is cheaper than an upgrade, something is wrong!

Just my 2-cents....

David
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    DrDavid wrote:
    You're right.. They can do what they want. But, when a MAJOR upgrade is 25% of the cost of the MINOR upgrade, something's wrong.

When repurchasing the entire program ($150) is cheaper than an upgrade, something is wrong!

Just my 2-cents....

David

I got to a page at some point (can't find it at the moment) that had a table with much more reasonable prices for us (including minor upgrades). I'll see if I can track it down and if it's still valid.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I got to a page at some point (can't find it at the moment) that had a table with much more reasonable prices for us (including minor upgrades). I'll see if I can track it down and if it's still valid.
    Was it this page?

541535419_M57nV-L.jpg

I don't know if this pricing applies to the latest update.

edited: added standard pricing for comparison.
    541539572_AqAvJ-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    That's the exact page I sent to them.. Notice it's only $45 for the MAJOR upgrade.. Minor apparently isn't included. Or, at least, they won't say it if is... I don't want to spend $45 only to be told that it's only good for a 3.0.x license, not to upgrade to the 3.1.x license.

It's just bad customer service..

David
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    The page I was on was like the second picture (had a column for minor updates) but had the discounted pricing.

[UPDATE]Found it. It's not longer valid/not for us/no longer live. So, uh, nevermind.