Options

I2E Image Editor Discussion

Comments

• Options
    raebrownraebrown Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    i2e Save Error
    I just downloaded the i2e Image editor. After editing some images I get a "Save image error" when trying to save. I have Windows Vista on this machine and can find no info on the webpage regarding Vista. Anyone have this same problem or able to run the program with Vista?headscratch.gif

Problem Solved clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Under Windows Vista install as administrator and it works fine.
    Rae
    Tickled Pixels

Tickled Pixels Blog: "
    A walk in Gamla stan, the old town of Stockholm"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    raebrown wrote:
    I just downloaded the i2e Image editor. After editing some images I get a "Save image error" when trying to save. I have Windows Vista on this machine and can find no info on the webpage regarding Vista. Anyone have this same problem or able to run the program with Vista?headscratch.gif
    Send email to Colour-Science - I run it on XP, sorry I can't help.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Anyone Use DxO??
    Forgive me if I am going off topic, but I just found this thread on i2e. I had seen it referenced throughout the forums but couldn't figure out what it did. Now I realize it's a batch processor. I have been using something similar which is DxO Optics. I did a search on dgrin and didn't find any reference to DxO. Does anyone use this software for batch processing or did I just miss the reference? What I like about the application is that they have models of individual cameras and lenses and can correct for optical aberrations present in the cameras and/or lenses. I have a Sony DSC-H1 and the starter version has the models for that camera and it can correct for barrel distortion at the wide end of the lens among other corrections. The higher end versions have models for many of the dslr's and lenses.

Here is a link to the website

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Forgive me if I am going off topic, but I just found this thread on i2e. I had seen it referenced throughout the forums but couldn't figure out what it did. Now I realize it's a batch processor. I have been using something similar which is DxO Optics. I did a search on dgrin and didn't find any reference to DxO. Does anyone use this software for batch processing or did I just miss the reference? What I like about the application is that they have models of individual cameras and lenses and can correct for optical aberrations present in the cameras and/or lenses. I have a Sony DSC-H1 and the starter version has the models for that camera and it can correct for barrel distortion at the wide end of the lens among other corrections. The higher end versions have models for many of the dslr's and lenses.

Here is a link to the website

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo

I use DxO Optics Pro but not for batch conversions as it is way too slow. i2e has it beat hands down in the speed category. I only use DxO to do lens corrections on specific photos. If DxO ever figures out a way to speed their processing up and improve their documentation they could have a serious contender to Lightroom.
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I agree the processing is slow and there is basically no documentation but I did like how it could pre-process my camera and take out the major aberrations and do reasonable color correction in a single step. I should take a look at i2e.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I agree the processing is slow and there is basically no documentation but I did like how it could pre-process my camera and take out the major aberrations and do reasonable color correction in a single step. I should take a look at i2e.

Color wise I think i2e does a better job but I need to experiment more with it to find out. Or maybe there is something in DxO I am missing. I recently downloaded the new ACDSee Pro beta and it is still a dog. DxO is a lot faster than it is. (Plus it still has all the workflow problems from the previous version.)
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    I2E messes up embedded GPS data, but fix is on the way
    I noticed that my GPS-embedded photos weren't showing up where I expected them to after running them through I2E. I sent a message to Frank Grossmann from Colour-Science AG and after a little research he confirmed that the third party, polysys library they use to import and export images in image editor has a rounding error when dealing with GPS data in exif tags.

Here's some info from an e-mail he sent me today: "They were rounding minutes to 1/100th which is not exact enough for GPS coordinates. I will integrate the next version in Image Editor, but this will probably need another month to be ready."
  • Options
    EcoJamEcoJam Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    i2e red eye
    I'm testing both IE & Q-hancer.

It's not clear to me if IE has red-eye correction (I sent them a note and they said you can only "test" it in Q-hancer). Did that, did not work.

Anyone with the IE Pro version see Red Eye correction there? Other than PS, anybody know of a batch red-eye correction tool?

thks, ed
  • Options
    wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    On DxO....
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    ...DxO Optics... Does anyone use this software

I'm definitely no pro, but I use DxO and absolutely love it. The localized lighting and contrast, as well as geometric corrections are great. The white balance works like a champ, and the noise reduction is amazing. I'm very please with what I get, especially for what I paid.

That said, their color corrections are extremely manual and I just don't use them. There are features to make the image look like it came from another camera body and a zillion other things, but I just don't find them that useful. I wish it did some of the automatic color corrections that i2e seems to have, because these are the things I tend to screw up the most :)
    - Jeff
    http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
    Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4
  • Options
    ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2007
    Hope somebody is still watching this thread.

I looked at I2E and bought it, now I'd like to ask some questions tha I don't think were covered earlier.

In your workflow, do you go staright from raw and save it to jpg or tiff in i2e or do you convert first and then open it in i2e for adjustments. If you go straight from raw through i2e how do you see, out of all your raw files, which ones you want to process.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to look at thumbnails in order to chose the ones to process. I'm assuming the demo version has everything working, I haven't gotten the activation code yet so I'm still in demo mode.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2007
    Well, the RAW question was answered when I looked at their site again. I just got the Home version, so when I activate it I won't have the raw support to worry about since the demo is of the Pro version.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    Hey guys,

I've been playing around with i2e for a bit, but I seem to be losing all the EXIF details when I process my RAW files with it.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the raw-settings for the channel.
    The only thing that I knew to change were the dimensions. All the others stuff I have no clue about headscratch.gif

If anyone knows if I should change something with regards to the RAW settings, I'd love to hear it ear.gif The help pages from i2e are not so helpful to me.
    180579605-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    but I seem to be losing all the EXIF details when I process my RAW files with it.

FrankBug.

I've reported it to Colour-Science about 2 months ago. Frank's on Summer Holiday...
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    No response
    I recently bought the home version and, because I didn't read enough, found that it didn't support RAW. I've written to them twice about just reverting to a plug-in license. It's been about 2 weeks now and I've received no reply, not even a "live with what you bought" answer, which I would understand.

I know this isn't a support forum for them but I was wondering if anyone knew if the company took a vacation and there is no one there right now or what.
  • Options
    MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    ebwest wrote:
    I recently bought the home version and, because I didn't read enough, found that it didn't support RAW. I've written to them twice about just reverting to a plug-in license. It's been about 2 weeks now and I've received no reply, not even a "live with what you bought" answer, which I would understand.

I know this isn't a support forum for them but I was wondering if anyone knew if the company took a vacation and there is no one there right now or what.

I sent an email to them about upgading from the plugin to the standard version. They responded very quickly and we went back and forth a few times. Very helpful....
    Are you using the support address fron their website?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    ebwest wrote:

write Frank again and he'll answer I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Milner wrote:
    I sent an email to them about upgading from the plugin to the standard version. They responded very quickly and we went back and forth a few times. Very helpful....
    Are you using the support address fron their website?

Tried the address on the person who sent me the unlock code and then I tried the support address from the site. I'll try again.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    write Frank again and he'll answer I'm sure.

I'll give it a try, thanks.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    new version 2.5.0 is out. Now with red-eye-removal option.

When installing it will override the channels, so if you have custom settings, you may want to write those down before installing. You may also need to reinstall the RAW support.
  • Options
    mrs.jgpunkmrs.jgpunk Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Image editor comparisson
    Does anyone have an opinion or comparisson of i2e vs adobe lightroom? also, I am trying to find a good image database software and am looking for recommendations.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    new version 2.5.0 is out. Now with red-eye-removal option.

When installing it will override the channels, so if you have custom settings, you may want to write those down before installing. You may also need to reinstall the RAW support.

E-mail from I2E received this morning:
    Dear Image Editor User

As our valued customer we want to inform you about some changes/enhancements in Image Editor

- Price reduction for the Standard Edition (now 90 Euro / 115 US$)
    - The Standard Edition includes now RAW support
    - All versions includes now red-eye reduction
    - The Professional Edition allows now to run up to three instances in the same network

For more details please visit www.colour-science.com, Image Editor download page

The new pricing for the Standard Edition allows now Home Edition users to upgrade to the Standard Edition to a very low upgrade price (35 Euro / 50 US$), and to take benefit of the RAW support. To upgrade please go to 'Online Registration of the Image Editor'.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any questions you might have

Sincerely yours

Doris Koller

Colour-Science AG
    Bettswilerstrasse 2
    CH-8344 Bäretswil/Switzerland
    Phone +41 44 979 10 70
    Fax +41 44 939 27 32
    Email koller@colour-science.com

• Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    E-mail from I2E received this morning:

[/font]

Good for you! I haven't heard from them yet.
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Does our old license work with this version?
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    It should, but the place to ask, is at Colour-Science thumb.gif
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007

Mine did. I just installed the new version and when I opened it I saw it was already registered with my existing license.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2007
    i2e Version 2.5 with Redeye removal
    Well, the redeye removal, it does a pretty nice job! These are some olde p&s shots:
    Remember, this is "one-click" fixing of a whole batch of photos - no selecting, no brushes, no tools.

185328189-S.jpg185328218-S.jpg

185328287-S.jpg185328327-S.jpg

a few more, here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3328576#185327856
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    Another update here:

http://www.colour-science.com/IE/ImageEditorSetup.exe

NEW for this version:

- Possibility to correct general density (gamma) or selective shadow or highlight density.

- Faster screen update when using the mouse wheel for manual density or color correction

- Red eye removal

- possibility to add a string to the image name to show that an image has been enhanced

I've not used this stuff yet.
  • Options
    MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    40d raw??
    Does anyone know if they have support for 40D raw files? I am seriously considering an upgrade to a 40d and I love my i2E!!

WOW, Got an email right back from Frank. According to him the latest canon raw support dl on thier page supports 40d raw!!

CS have been very fast and great to deal with. Thanks for bringing them to us, Andy!
  • Options
    lucluc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    Grainy sky
    How are your experiences?

I have tried the iE2 RAW conversions but almost always the images have a slightly grainy appearance , which is annoying espcecially in the sky parts.
    Accordingto their description the program is not supposed to sharpen sky colors? Or do I misunderstand something?
    Are there some settings regulating this?

thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    luc wrote:
    How are your experiences?

I have tried the iE2 RAW conversions but almost always the images have a slightly grainy appearance , which is annoying espcecially in the sky parts.
    Accordingto their description the program is not supposed to sharpen sky colors? Or do I misunderstand something?
    Are there some settings regulating this?

thanks in advance!
    Hi, did you write Colour-Science? Let us know what Frank says, thanks!