Options

Selling Digital Downloads

Comments

• Options
    CelsoDinizCelsoDiniz Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    SmugMug, why not offer downloads ? AN ANSWER PLEASE !
    SmugMug, not sure you've been checking the threads where many users manifest their interest to sell downloads ! This is really important to us.

You can check on my blog http://amateurphotomoney.blogspot.com/ that I've been working with four sites that read IPTC information at upload time and they are dedicated to sell only downloads of pictures. They are BigStockPhoto, DreamsTime, iStock and ShutterStock.

The only problem is they pick only the photos they need or they like. So, I'd love to have the option to point buyers to my Portfolio Album on SmugMug and give them the option to download any other of my photos they like paying my own price.

I see many people indicating DotPhoto for that, but I've tried them and to be honest I don't like the way that site is designed, and on the other hand I love SmugMug features and I've been your user for years now. See ? We'd rather stick to SmugMug than look for others...

What do you say ? Is there any chance you guys will let us sell downloads any time soon ?

Thanks !
    Celso.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 14, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Would making it an option in the shopping cart be acceptable?

Like in the dropdowns for prints, there was a dropdown for Digital File or Digital Image or something?

And then at the end, on the order complete page, they'd have the option of downloading their image, and we could include a link in the order confirmation email as well?

Would your customers understand that "add to cart" also adds digital downloads?

Thanks,

Don
    Seems like a winning solution to me!:lift Lets get it:whip done! deal.gifylsuper.gif

Thanks!

-don
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2005
    Just for informations sake for smugmug staff, I have personally sold 330 photo's via digital download in the last 30 days, you are missing some money here. My current method is upon payment I totally open up thier gallery and they can just downloadd them, and SM gets NOTHING!!, NADA!!! NONE!!!! of the money, I would use a digital download feature simply to make life easier for me assuming it is done on the same percent basis as prints. Digital downloads are great for stuff like the track pics that I am doing, the person is buying shots of themselves, now I wouldn't go that route for regular artistic style shots.

James.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 14, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Just for informations sake for smugmug staff, I have personally sold 330 photo's via digital download in the last 30 days, you are missing some money here. My current method is upon payment I totally open up thier gallery and they can just downloadd them, and SM gets NOTHING!!, NADA!!! NONE!!!! of the money, I would use a digital download feature simply to make life easier for me assuming it is done on the same percent basis as prints.
    Exactly, if you don't own a dd program this is a practice many of us use with password protected galleries and paypal or the like (this is yet another reason to have strong password protection). I have also sold many downloads, and like you said James, smugmug ain't getting a penny off of the open gallery system. I purchased an automated program last year so I don't have to do this as often anymore. But, I still do use the open gallery or directory system to fill peoples digital download file requests at times. To be quite honest, I sell a ton more downloads than prints.

Good post, James.nod.gif

Cheers

-don
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    Have we heard back from Smugmug about selling downloads on SmugMug ?
    Hello, I have just found a new site where we can sell downloads: www.canstockphoto.com ... meanwhile I'd like to know if SmugMug has finally committed to let us sell downloads of our pictures here, or not...
    CelsoDiniz wrote:
    SmugMug, not sure you've been checking the threads where many users manifest their interest to sell downloads ! This is really important to us.

You can check on my blog http://amateurphotomoney.blogspot.com/ that I've been working with four sites that read IPTC information at upload time and they are dedicated to sell only downloads of pictures. They are BigStockPhoto, DreamsTime, iStock and ShutterStock.

The only problem is they pick only the photos they need or they like. So, I'd love to have the option to point buyers to my Portfolio Album on SmugMug and give them the option to download any other of my photos they like paying my own price.

I see many people indicating DotPhoto for that, but I've tried them and to be honest I don't like the way that site is designed, and on the other hand I love SmugMug features and I've been your user for years now. See ? We'd rather stick to SmugMug than look for others...

What do you say ? Is there any chance you guys will let us sell downloads any time soon ?

Thanks !
    Celso.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 23, 2005
    CelsoDiniz wrote:
    Hello, I have just found a new site where we can sell downloads: www.canstockphoto.com ... meanwhile I'd like to know if SmugMug has finally committed to let us sell downloads of our pictures here, or not...
    I think the honest answer is we're intrigued enough to think about user interface issues, etc., but we're not yet committed in the sense that we can't promise we'll do it.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    I think the honest answer is we're intrigued enough to think about user interface issues, etc., but we're not yet committed in the sense that we can't promise we'll do it.

All the best,
    Baldy
    Baldy, I think in all honesty DD's are the direction of the future, it would be a big mistake for you to miss getting on this asap.

James.
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Baldy, I think in all honesty DD's are the direction of the future, it would be a big mistake for you to miss getting on this asap.

James.

So here's an interesting question: What should the base line price be? We have to have a minimum, simply because it costs smugmug money to process the request (writing shopping cart software, credit card processing fees, customer support assistance, etc).

So, like the 4x6s are $0.29 base and then Pros can mark them up, we need a base price to begin with for digital downloads. (Note that if someone orders a single 4x6, we lose quite a bit of money on that order. Luckily, that doesn't happen often, but digital downloads are different). I'd think the base price would almost have to be in the $1-$2.50 range, but that number is just off the top of my head without actually running numbers on what our costs would be.

Pros could then charge, say, $5 or $10 (or more) and make the spread between the base and their price.

Anyone have thoughts on what this base price should be?

Don
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Anyone have thoughts on what this base price should be?

Don
    I don't think it will matter what the base price is to any photographer. Here's why: A photog who expects to sell one or two to each customer will set his price up in the high range (> $10), and the photog who expects to sell lots to each customer will set his prices lower. It sounds as though smugmug will do fine with either option.

To ensure this happens, why not offer a quantity discount:
    1-4 ....... $1.00
    5-9 ....... $0.75
    10-24 .... $0.50
    25-99 .... $0.30
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    I agree
    winnjewett wrote:
    I don't think it will matter what the base price is to any photographer. Here's why: A photog who expects to sell one or two to each customer will set his price up in the high range (> $10), and the photog who expects to sell lots to each customer will set his prices lower. It sounds as though smugmug will do fine with either option.

1-4 ....... $1.00
    5-9 ....... $0.75
    10-24 .... $0.50
    25-99 .... $0.30
    I agree with winnthumb.gif , let's start with something and have this feature in place, any pro would crank the pricing anyway.

A couple of minor tweaks:

1. There should be a "Main Switch" to enable/disable DD in general

2. Base prices (for those who can't change them) should take standard '.9' rule into account.
    In winn's example:
    $0.99
    $0.74
    $0.49
    $0.29
    etc.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:

1-4 ....... $1.00
    5-9 ....... $0.75
    10-24 .... $0.50
    25-99 .... $0.30

Neat idea, but I don't know how to implement it, nor why Smugmug should. For example, I would like to sell a lot to anyone, whether prints or digital downloads. So why not volume pricing for everything?

As per pricing, I want Smugmug to make enough to make it worth their while. I would not mind pricing per size as well (medium, large, and original -- any reason to sell a thumbnail?)

How about medium $1, large $1.50, and original $2.00? I'll agree it doesn't matter a ton to me, I won't price any file under $10 myself.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Why don't we check what others are doing and start from there ?
    Check this out:

http://www.dotphoto.com/PricingAndReturn.asp

Digital Downloads Product Price Screen Res $1.00 Hi Res $2.00

Note: Those are ideas for minimums... and we can put our price on top of it...
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Other DD pricing ideas
    While DotPhoto works like SmugMug with the additional feature to allow DD... Here you can also check other services that focus on sharing stock photos only:

http://www.bigstockphoto.com

You can download stock photos by purchasing Photo Credits for as low as $1.48 each - compare with standard stock photo prices of $40 - $200 each.

http://www.dreamstime.com

Designers?
    1. Register for free and access the lowest prices royalty free stock photography.
    2. Buy credits for downloading stock photos; high resolution stock images can reach as low as $0.67 each.
    3. Immediately download from our huge collection of royalty free images. More stock photos added daily!
    for

sep.gif
    Photographers?
    Sell your stock images and get 50% from each sale you make. Join our powerful photo community and reach new stock photography markets.

http://www.istockphoto.com/

That cheap. Really.
    $1 - Low resolution stock photography
    $2 - Medium resolution stock photography
    $3 - High resolution stock photography
    http://www.shutterstock.com/

For photo buyers:

Subscription Prices 1 Month ..... $139 (USD) 3 Months ..... $395 (USD) 6 Months ..... $749 (USD) 1 Year ..... $1359 (USD)
    For photographers:

Current Payout is (US) $0.20 per download!

• Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

2. Base prices (for those who can't change them) ...
    Is there any reason for non-pros to enable this feature? They can't make money off of the sale of their photos, and I don't think that smugmug can legally profit from the sale of other people's copyrighted material (printing services are different).

-winn
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    We're talking about Royalty-free... yes... it is good for non-pros
    winnjewett wrote:
    Is there any reason for non-pros to enable this feature? They can't make money off of the sale of their photos, and I don't think that smugmug can legally profit from the sale of other people's copyrighted material (printing services are different).

-winn
    Others please correct me, but the deal here is for SmugMug to allow users (photographers) to direct potential customers to their portfolio on Smugmug, where those buyers would be able to download photos for an specific price. Let's say SmugMug minimum is one dollar, and I set up it for 5 dollars... If they buyer downloads it, I keep 4 and 1 goes to SmugMug. As simple as that. Nothing to do with the use of the prints that will come out of those downlaods because we're talking about "royalty-free" here...

And talking about "royalty-free"... I guess this extract from an FAQ of BigStockPhoto would help to clarify things a little bit about the download business:

What does "royalty-free" mean?
    It means that we won't ask you to pay based on the number of times you are using the photo. You pay for each download, and you cannot resell the photo as a stock image or alone, but it may be included in a work or product as long as the photo itself comprises 50% or less of the overall value or the product you are selling.

What can I do with the photos I download?
    Anything you like more or less, except resell or repost them, or defame the models in the photos - as long as you are not breaking any copyright or trademark laws. There are some uses that would constitute

For instance, you cannot use the photo as part of a trademark, since the photos copyright belongs to the photographer.

Another example that would get you in trouble most likely would be creating a web site for Nazi Skinhead Child Molesters Organization and showing a recognizable office building with a label "Our Offices" (unless of course you really had offices there!).

So there are some limits, but not too many. Consult your legal advisors if you are concerned about your specific usage.

Can others buy them after I do?
    Yes, the photo can be purchased by any BigStockPhoto member from this web site.

Do I lose my rights to the photos after I've uploaded them?
    You do not lose the copyright or ownership... but by uploading, you do agree to allow BigStockPhoto to use and sell your photo for a minimum of 90 days, and pay you for it. We do not encourage removing your photos - and if you are the kind of person who posts and then removes photos alot (some do), we would kindly suggest that you might be better off elsewhere as it costs a lot to host, market, approve and manage the photos. We are hoping you'll leave you photos online for a very long time. That being said we are reasonable people and if we get a request to remove a photo, most likely, we'll take it off the site for you. But we can't prevent anyone who has already downloaded/purchased it from using it.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    CelsoDiniz wrote:
    Others please correct me, but the deal here is for SmugMug to allow users (photographers) to direct potential customers to their portfolio on Smugmug, where those buyers would be able to download photos for an specific price. Let's say SmugMug minimum is one dollar, and I set up it for 5 dollars... If they buyer downloads it, I keep 4 and 1 goes to SmugMug. As simple as that. Nothing to do with the use of the prints that will come out of those downlaods because we're talking about "royalty-free" here...
    What I meant by stating that SM couldn't profit from non-pros is that they have not given permission for SM to do so, and they themselves are not profiting.
    -winn
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    baseline
    onethumb wrote:
    So here's an interesting question: What should the base line price be? We have to have a minimum, simply because it costs smugmug money to process the request (writing shopping cart software, credit card processing fees, customer support assistance, etc).

If you're going to automate this as a feature, then as someone who tests the logic of complex computer systems, may I suggest the following:

1) You're looking to implement this as part of your 'cart' process. Make sure that the user knows from the beginning that they're selecting and receiving a digital version of the image. Make that clear. You're adding to a wed-standard process. ie: people will go in to auto-mode and this is where they're likely to miss any deviance from an original path. Just make sure it's obvious.

2) Baseline. The simple answer is - you can't. I'd suggest having a list of possible transaction prices (and included % for SM's take) - then the two parties involved contact each other and agree on a sum for the transaction (all can be done through SM). SM displays total including breakdown of their commission (do this as a sliding % scale) and once the two parties agree to the final figure (electronic signature) - the download can take place. All automated, all immediate (dependant on time it takes for two parties to agree on price), no hassles.

If you're looking for a T/BA (Test/Business Analyst) ... let me know.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2005
    It's the same as with prints
    winnjewett wrote:

-winn
    Unless I'm mistaken, non-pros cannot benefit from selling their prints also..
    And I'll don't think any pro would sell the original for $1 either (unless we're talking about cellphone pictures:-)..

I would agree with you that this feature should be OFF by default anyways..
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:

1-4 ....... $1.00
    5-9 ....... $0.75
    10-24 .... $0.50
    25-99 .... $0.30

Volume pricing is an extra layer of complexity which I'm not willing to add.

Fixed price, just like prints, no matter the quantity.

Don
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    CelsoDiniz wrote:
    Check this out:

http://www.dotphoto.com/PricingAndReturn.asp

Digital Downloads Product Price Screen Res $1.00 Hi Res $2.00

FYI, should we do this, we're only going to offer Original sized downloads, not other sizes. So we're talking about a single price.

Don
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    FYI, should we do this, we're only going to offer Original sized downloads, not other sizes. So we're talking about a single price.

And I don't have a problem with that myself.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    we're talking about a single price
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    That's fine with me too...
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Originals only
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    Fine by me...thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    Sounds good to me, just get it done please. (know it's not something you can just snap your fingers and do, but please get it off the back burner)

James.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    Volume pricing is an extra layer of complexity which I'm not willing to add.

Fixed price, just like prints, no matter the quantity.

Don
    Yeah, it's an extra layer I really don't want to think about either.

DD option would be nice though.

Greg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2005
    Hi, I have just updated the blog http://amateurphotomoney.blogspot.com/

You'll find all the links and numbers on the blog, and I'm still on the track to buy my new camera with the money I make from my Amateur Photos sold on-line ;-)

I had earnings of more than $50 USD after 116 days and 128 uploads !!! Now working with 5 online stock photo web sites, and still hoping that SmugMug will offer the DD option for us pretty soon.

Tks !
    Celso.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    Hey, I was wondering if there is any sort of progress report on the digital download front. Is there any chance that this will be available for the Baja 500 race in June? That would be FANTASTIC!

Thanks,
    Winn
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    Hey, I was wondering if there is any sort of progress report on the digital download front. Is there any chance that this will be available for the Baja 500 race in June? That would be FANTASTIC!

Thanks,
    Winn

There's still lots of thought going on about it, but I highly doubt anything useable would be ready by the end of June. It's gonna be a longer timeframe than that.

Don
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    There's still lots of thought going on about it, but I highly doubt anything useable would be ready by the end of June. It's gonna be a longer timeframe than that.

Don
    That's what I figured, but it was worth a shot in the dark to not have to worry about it.

-Winn
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    I have a pro smugmug account and mostly do event photography (school plays, games ect). I would like to lend my support to the other folks who want a digital download system for smugmug. Ive been nothing but impressed with your service (except outtages always come at the worst times umph.gif). People want these photographs to share with friends by email and to set as desktop backgrounds, and it seems like a good 1/3 of my customers are only interested in digital downloads, not to mention all the people who have been turned away because they are not interested in a piece of paper.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8