Options

Selling Digital Downloads

Comments

• Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    files
    If i was a customer I would want to purchase the file.. the reason why is once I have that file I now own the right to print as many photos as I want from that file... As the photographer here on this site, I would never want a person to get my file. If smugmug was to offer the file or a print it should be set in the custom settings and defualt to image vs. file. For people that want the files and are paying for them; I wait till I get there money and send them a cd or dvd with the files.. why don't you try that? or use rapid share.. you can store your files there password protect them let them pay you and then give then the password to unloack them.
    Chase wrote:
    I have a pro smugmug account and mostly do event photography (school plays, games ect). I would like to lend my support to the other folks who want a digital download system for smugmug. Ive been nothing but impressed with your service (except outtages always come at the worst times umph.gif). People want these photographs to share with friends by email and to set as desktop backgrounds, and it seems like a good 1/3 of my customers are only interested in digital downloads, not to mention all the people who have been turned away because they are not interested in a piece of paper.
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    winnjewettwinnjewett Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    ...or use rapid share.. you can store your files there password protect them let them pay you and then give then the password to unloack them.
    this system wouldn't work very well for the event photographer with a couple hundred to a couple thousand photos from one event. pw protecting the entire, or portions of the entire gallery would mean giving away way too many photos. The alternative is to password protect each individual photo, which is way too labor intensive to do by hand, which is why we need the help of smugmug.

-winn
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Well said.

I dont have the time. ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    winnjewett wrote:
    this system wouldn't work very well for the event photographer with a couple hundred to a couple thousand photos from one event. pw protecting the entire, or portions of the entire gallery would mean giving away way too many photos. The alternative is to password protect each individual photo, which is way too labor intensive to do by hand, which is why we need the help of smugmug.

-winn
    Well said, I have found that even sorting by person and pwding them is a pain.

James.
  • Options
    presscamerapresscamera Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    FYI, should we do this, we're only going to offer Original sized downloads, not other sizes. So we're talking about a single price.

Don

That sounds fine by me I just want to upload pics to a gallery and allow people to order the original files from there after having paid a fee set by me which smigmug would get their commission on.
    Regards Kerris Berrington Press Photographer
    Perth Western Australia
    http://www.presscamera.com
    presscamera@gmail.com
  • Options
    CelsoDinizCelsoDiniz Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2005
    Perfect
    That sounds fine by me I just want to upload pics to a gallery and allow people to order the original files from there after having paid a fee set by me which smigmug would get their commission on.
    Yes, let's go for it...
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2005
    If i was a customer I would want to purchase the file.. the reason why is once I have that file I now own the right to print as many photos as I want from that file... As the photographer here on this site, I would never want a person to get my file. If smugmug was to offer the file or a print it should be set in the custom settings and defualt to image vs. file. For people that want the files and are paying for them; I wait till I get there money and send them a cd or dvd with the files.. why don't you try that? or use rapid share.. you can store your files there password protect them let them pay you and then give then the password to unloack them.

First of all, if Smug was to offer this, it would be through the standard shopping cart. As such, I have the right to set a price for the download, including a price of $0, which means the person cannot buy the digital file.

Next, I am conflicted at times myself on this. As a current race photographer I'd like to sell prints, and if they want more than one print, I'd like more than one order. But when I was racing myself, I wanted digital files. I never bought a print, but I did buy files.

Now, I'm starting to offer digital files. I have to admit, its what the racers want. I just sold a CD, and starting to slowly advertise the offering in my "bio" section of my website.

Its a shame I can't offer this (yet) directly through my Smugmug shopping cart. Would be much easier on me. But unti that happens, I'll do it through separate means.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    presscamerapresscamera Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2005
    Digital Downloads
    For those who are interested in a Digital Download solution have a look at
    http://www.photostockplus.com.
    Has anyone used this service? or does anyone have any comments?

$99 a year gets you 500MB of space with the ability to set prices for Downloads. After the image is sold it is accessable to the customer from a holding page for 48 hours.
    Regards Kerris Berrington Press Photographer
    Perth Western Australia
    http://www.presscamera.com
    presscamera@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2005
    Another suggestion pop'd into my head last night. When Smugmug implements digital downloads from the shopping cart, could that option be put under the "standard prints" pull-down? The rational being that is the easiest point for people to find that option. You add a print to your cart, it gets automatically added first as a 4x6. They scroll down their list of choices: 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x30, and voila, "digital file download".
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    geraldfinnegangeraldfinnegan Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    Digital download info
    mercphoto wrote:
    Another suggestion pop'd into my head last night. When Smugmug implements digital downloads from the shopping cart, could that option be put under the "standard prints" pull-down? The rational being that is the easiest point for people to find that option. You add a print to your cart, it gets automatically added first as a 4x6. They scroll down their list of choices: 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x30, and voila, "digital file download".
    There's a service i'm checking out: Payloadz. They give you "ADD TO CART" buttons which you place on any page with photos you want to sell downoads of, from any site, (Smugmug being the one we're interested in). They interface with PayPal for the process of a purchase (though they are not part pf PayPal itself). When someone buys a download, they are sent to PayPal for the payment. Once received, Payloadz then immediately downloads the file, a copy of which you have previously stored on their server. This all happens when the customer clciks "ADD TO CART".
    I'll let you know if it works in a week or so. I have to set it up first. One question, for a "large" file, as in that size on Smugmug, or perhaps one that is screen-size, what is a reasonable price to ask? Can't be a lot. Volume would bring in any significant money, but what's a ball park price for a download.
    jerry
    www.finnegan.smugmug.com
    www.finnegan.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2005
    One question, for a "large" file, as in that size on Smugmug, or perhaps one that is screen-size, what is a reasonable price to ask? Can't be a lot. Volume would bring in any significant money, but what's a ball park price for a download.

Depends on the type of photo and the customer. I'm selling race photos. I remember when I was racing myself that my pain limit was $10 per image, or $100 per CD. And that's what I'm pricing. That's a "original" image file (with added copyright text on the image).

Now, if I was selling fine art, or selling commissioned photos for an advertising campaign, I'd want more. I have no idea how much though...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2005
    thats an idea
    If I were to ever think about it in any way of saling my files... mercphoto has the best way of doint it. That way on the drop down menu like my current photos I can chose to or not too have it as an option. As I currently only offer some of the print sizes and choose not to offer all.:uhoh
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2005
    Any news yet ?
    So... is SmugMug looking into offering the digital downloads any time soon or not ?

I was trying to use DotPhoto but they only allow digital downloads through public search or public galleries, meaning you can not point someone to your own website and let them buy your downloads...

I really hope I will not find another service that offers the digital downloads plus the other services that I have with SmugMug. I do like SmugMug a lot, but you guys are forcing us all to look for other solutions... why do that ?

Find a way to sell digital downloads and bring more customers, rather than loosing part of your current ones. Please, let us know at least a timeframe we could expect to have this feature enabled, or let us know at once if we won't have it at all, or won't have it for the next 12, 24, 36 months, whatever.

Thanks for your attention.
    Regards,
    Celso.
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Nice but EXPENSIVE
    There's a service i'm checking out: Payloadz. They give you "ADD TO CART" buttons which you place on any page with photos you want to sell downoads of, from any site, (Smugmug being the one we're interested in). They interface with PayPal for the process of a purchase (though they are not part pf PayPal itself). When someone buys a download, they are sent to PayPal for the payment. Once received, Payloadz then immediately downloads the file, a copy of which you have previously stored on their server. This all happens when the customer clciks "ADD TO CART".
    I checked out PayLoadz, but talk abouut spendy. The biggest catch being the storage fee. Currently on smugmug I have 2.9 Gb worth of files, and lets say 1/3 of them are worthy of sales. That is still 1 Gb, which on PayLoadz translates to either a lot of money, or the 15% commission setup (hmm which isn't that bad really)

How have your results been so far?

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    There's still lots of thought going on about it, but I highly doubt anything useable would be ready by the end of June. It's gonna be a longer timeframe than that.

Don
    Don,

Speaking for myself (but likely some others as well) at this point in time, I love SM, it is great. However, and knowing this through other channels and customer feedback, the photography I do, many ppl simply like (and would buy) the file (digital download) before they would purchase prints. I call this phenomena McPhoto, i.e. I have money now, so I want my pictures now (instant gratification)

Either way, I feel I am missing out on potential revenue.

Could you or someone from sm give us a reasonable expectation/forecast if this is something that is due to appear within the next 4-8 weeks, or if this is 4-8 mnths out. All I am looking for is some indication, not a firm commitment. This would allow me to make a decision for myself if I need to do something to supplement (yes supplement not replace, I am a happy sm customer) sm and enable digital downloads for the time being until sm will allow this as well.

Inquiringly,

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    James BroomeJames Broome Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2005
    Good thread!

With more and more customers becoming tech-savvy, I'm sure some of mine would be more interested in purchasing the high-res file than they would a print. Consider me one of those in favor of this idea.
    James Broome • Tampa, FL
    www.jamesbroome.com
    My SportsShooter.com Profile
    Canon user since 1984 • Photoshop user since 1991
    1D Mk IIn • 24-70 f/2.8L • 70-200 f/2.8L • 300 f/2.8L
  • Options
    Jordan MotorsportsJordan Motorsports Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 8, 2005
    I'll gladly give Smugmug a share...
    In the few months that I've been a pro subscriber to Smugmug, my cumulative print sales have been about equal to the cost of the membership. However, my customers all come to the website, chew up the bandwidth, and email me a list of photos they want on CD or in an email. That total is in the thousands. I really don't have the time or energy to keep making and mailing CDs, emailing files, etc. I'll gladly give Smugmug a couple bucks from each file to handle digital downloads for me.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2005
    In the few months that I've been a pro subscriber to Smugmug, my cumulative print sales have been about equal to the cost of the membership. However, my customers all come to the website, chew up the bandwidth, and email me a list of photos they want on CD or in an email. That total is in the thousands. I really don't have the time or energy to keep making and mailing CDs, emailing files, etc. I'll gladly give Smugmug a couple bucks from each file to handle digital downloads for me.
    Yes, for every frame I have sold on SM I have mailed about 25 on cd, way more sales of files than prints. Many racers want to edit as in add text etc to thier prints.

James.
  • Options
    kvkphotokvkphoto Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2005
    Yes, the digital files selling is a very attractive option. After all, it must be an option so if somebody doesn't want to sell the originals, they don't have to.

The shopping cart is the way to go.

One note: The image download link must be unique and provide a limited download ability. Each link should have something like GIUD and allow to download 3 times within 7 days, after that the link must be made unavailable. It must be clearly stated in the e-mail to buyer. Similair technique is used sometimes for digital software purchases.

It would be really cool to allow to order files on CD/DVD as well. Some of the quite big to download. Then the customer would probably back them up anyway.

However, there is one problem with digital downloads: rights management. It is a pain in a butt when it comes to selling images online (especially providing such a service). The Smugmug must be ready to get tonns of e-mails from photographers about copyright infrigments, etc etc... We are, as photographers, must be ready to track our images. We just must be VERY picky on what we sell on-line via Smugmug. Will Smugmug collect model releases for example? :):
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2005
    kvkphoto wrote:
    However, there is one problem with digital downloads: rights management.
    That is not a problem. The solution is simple. You do not allow a customer to purchase a digital file that you want to have rights managed. For any RM purchase he must negotiate with you, and you then send the file yourself. I would only offer images for digital download if I intended an RF (royalty free) model of usage. In reality, the only images I will offer for digital download are racing images, and those only have appeal to the racer himself.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2005
    I fear anyone who is adverse to selling digital files will be left in the dust. Visit Gettyone.com or eyewire.com or any of hundreds of commercial photo sites to see digital files are all they deal with, rights managed or not.

You want to make a real living at this you'll want your images available to art directors and advertising agencies around the globe. They're not going to settle for anything BUT digital files.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    Any known alternatives ?
    Anyway... Does anybody know a good service provider where you can organize your portfolio in the form of your own website and point customers to go there in order to download your photos at the prices you set up ?
  • Options
    jackleyjackley Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2005
    Any new time estimates on this yet?

Sure would love to be able to offer a pay per download.

james
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2005
    jackley wrote:
    Any new time estimates on this yet?

Sure would love to be able to offer a pay per download.

james
    Why not just put something on your homepage that says to E-mail you to buy digital prints? Then have them pay with Paypal or something? Or you can give out a "free" digital file when someone orders a highly marked up 20x30 print?

Heres a new one! Highly markup the 4xD, 5xD, 8xD ...etc files, and give out a "free" digital file with the D print? Then you can tell people the D stands for Digital :D
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2005
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Why not just put something on your homepage that says to E-mail you to buy digital prints? Then have them pay with Paypal or something?
    Because that is inconsistent to the client. I want to provide ONE way to purchase product, not "this way for prints, this other way for files". And, I want Smugmug to handle all my order fulfillment for me.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    cjyphotocjyphoto Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2005
    I would also would like this feature. I just finished an instant message chat with a couple who just purchased two 8X10's and a couple of 5x7's they also wanted the original file. I wound up selling the high res Jpeg to them for $20 but I have to hope they send the check. No big deal this time. Before signing up with Smugmug I narrowed it down to Smugmug and Printroom.com. Printroom does offer the option to sell digital files. They suggest that you price them at 2 to 4 times what you ask for an 8x10. I joined with Smugmug due to the storage space and what seems to be a bigger community. I figured Smugmug would offer this feature eventually. Here's to hoping it is sooner than later.thumb.gif

Oh BTW my name is Chris and I'm new here.yelrotflmao.gif:D
    My Pictures : My Gear
    I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2005
    cjyphoto wrote:

Oh BTW my name is Chris and I'm new here.yelrotflmao.gif:D

wave.gif welcome to dgrin and smugmug, chris!

thanks for your valuable input - we really appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2005
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I wound up selling the high res Jpeg to them for $20 but I have to hope they send the check. No big deal this time.

Next time, send the JPG only after you have recv'd payment.

I'm going to request again as well a means of selling digital files from the Smugmug shopping cart.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    OregonPixelsOregonPixels Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2005
    cjyphoto wrote:
    I would also would like this feature. <snip>
    Yes, count me in too !!. I sell photos of local runners in races, and my photos only have worth to a limited amount of people, for a limited amount of time, so parting with the original digital file is not an issue for me.
    Where does SmugMug stand on this, currently ??
    Thanks for an awesome site......................and this forum !!

Mick
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Yes, count me in too !!. I sell photos of local runners in races, and my photos only have worth to a limited amount of people, for a limited amount of time, so parting with the original digital file is not an issue for me.
    Where does SmugMug stand on this, currently ??
    Thanks for an awesome site......................and this forum !!

Mick

oregon, i've come up with a workaround, which could be used until such time as smugmug implements this, if and when....

example here, and here's the code....

it's not perfect, you'll actually be emailing the files to your buyers, or setting them up in a separate gallery with original access for them to download, but it will get the job done.