Options

Selling Digital Downloads

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    oregon, i've come up with a workaround, which could be used until such time as smugmug implements this, if and when....
    Very clever to put that code in the caption. :)

That works very well for small number of files. However when I do a race there might be 1,000+ files. And people are wanting digital files from the races (I must admit, when I was racing karts, I only bought digital files, never a print).

The race weekend of October 1-2 I have sold so far $450 worth of digital files. All done outside of my Smugmug account. I now make more money from racing doing digital files than doing prints. If Smugmug wants a percentage of this business that is perfectly acceptable to me, as I would prefer to NOT do the work myself to fulfill orders. If I wanted to self-fulfill orders I'd be on Photo Reflect or do my own site altogether.

You said "if and when" Andy. I really don't think Smugmug actually wants to implement this. And I'm not sure why. But I will continue to make noise about it, as alternatives such as PhotoShelter are a bit too pricey at the moment.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

You said "if and when" Andy. I really don't think Smugmug actually wants to implement this. And I'm not sure why. But I will continue to make noise about it, as alternatives such as PhotoShelter are a bit too pricey at the moment.

keep making noise, please - smugmug loves to hear from our customers. and bill, "stay tuned...."

thanks for taking the time to post this valuable feedback.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    keep making noise
    ok. :)

And I wish I could get the $100 per digital file that you do! :)
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    keep making noise, please - smugmug loves to hear from our customers. and bill, "stay tuned...."
    drums.gifDJ.gif :tough more noise for saleable digital print files. I too have missed some sales due to not having digital print files available. However if I did have the option I'm not sure how I would price them for fear of losing my print sales.

Greg
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    scrooksscrooks Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2005
    I brought this up looooong ago, but I'll put in my "noise" again. I'd love to sell downloadable files.

Other things requested looooong ago: I'd also love to have more control over watermarking. I'd also love to be able to give people some kind of discount/incentive coupons.

Hey, I'm patient. Some of my requests have been implemented, so it's not like I think I'm being ignored. Implementing new features takes time if they're to be done right. Now you SmugMug worker bees stop reading this and get back to work! :D
    --
    Steve Crooks
    Steve.Crooks.net
  • Options
    OregonPixelsOregonPixels Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    oregon, i've come up with a workaround, which could be used until such time as smugmug implements this, if and when....

example here, and here's the code....

it's not perfect, you'll actually be emailing the files to your buyers, or setting them up in a separate gallery with original access for them to download, but it will get the job done.
    Thanks Andy - I'll check it out !! (next time, don't make me wait a whole 14 minutes to get a reply !!<g>)
  • Options
    presscamerapresscamera Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    Yes on No
    Hello I am a Smugmug member from Australia I am looking for an option to be able to be able to sell Digital Downloads of images.
    Can anyone Suggest anything??

Kerry Berrington
    Can some one in the Smugmug Management please give a simple YES or NO as to whether ther are going to implement a facility for selling Digital Files. this has bee asked for for quite a long time now.

I would like to know before my next renewal is due so I can Plan for the future.

Has anyone seen http://www.photoshelter.com any comments?

Their storage is cheap $5.99pm for 10GB but you need your own merchant account. They are bringin in Pay Pal soon.

K.BERRINGTON
    Regards Kerris Berrington Press Photographer
    Perth Western Australia
    http://www.presscamera.com
    presscamera@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    Can some one in the Smugmug Management please give a simple YES or NO as to whether ther are going to implement a facility for selling Digital Files. this has bee asked for for quite a long time now.

I would like to know before my next renewal is due so I can Plan for the future.

Has anyone seen http://www.photoshelter.com any comments?

Their storage is cheap $5.99pm for 10GB but you need your own merchant account. They are bringin in Pay Pal soon.

K.BERRINGTON

Hi presscamera, Thanks again for posting this great thread. I know we're not moving on this as fast as you'd like to see, but if you read onethumb's responses in this thread, you can see that he and all of us are quite keen on doing this. I'm afraid that there's no date I can promise for this, only that it's something we'd we would like to add to the service. I wish I had a better answer for you, and I want to thank you for being a customer, and for your patience with us on this, too.

By the way, I intended to take only a quick look at your website, and I was really impressed with your travel stock stuff- and ended up spending a half hour enjoying your images - great stuff!
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Hi presscamera, Thanks again for posting this great thread. I know we're not moving on this as fast as you'd like to see, but if you read onethumb's responses in this thread, you can see that he and all of us are quite keen on doing this. I'm afraid that there's no date I can promise for this,
    I think what presscamera was wanting to know was, is it going to be in time for their next renewal (which was a date not mentioned by presscamera). Assuming its year's end, will it be ready by December 31? As was mentioned, presscamera is trying to plan for the future. No doesn't have to mean "forever".
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I think what presscamera was wanting to know was, is it going to be in time for their next renewal (which was a date not mentioned by presscamera). Assuming its year's end, will it be ready by December 31? As was mentioned, presscamera is trying to plan for the future. No doesn't have to mean "forever".

Hello Bill, thanks for posting. We don't comment on delivery dates for features we're contemplating and/or working on. The last thing we want to do is tell you it's going to be ready for a certain date and then miss it. I'll reiterate: it is something that we want. Onethumb, Baldy have posted this a number of times.

I wish I had a better answer for you, thanks again.

Andy
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    We don't comment on delivery dates for features we're contemplating and/or working on. The last thing we want to do is tell you it's going to be ready for a certain date and then miss it.
    Ok, that's an explanation I can live with.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    WOW

And I desperately need hard drive space, never dreamed........
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    jackleyjackley Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2005
    Adding noise......

blah blah blah, +1 on this feature.
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Update
    Any new info on the ability to sell digital downloads?
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2005
    Bodley wrote:
    Any new info on the ability to sell digital downloads?

Hi Bodley - thanks for asking! It's something that we'd very much like to do - and we're continuing to have discussions about - but there's not any new news on if/when etc.

We do know you guys want it - along with a few other features that get mentioned - custom watermarks, backprinting etc. A few mods to the cart.

Keep shouting at us - we love hearing it and hang in there please.

Wish I had a better answer for you.
  • Options
    jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2006
    Howdy! I've been under a rock and missed this thread until now, so here comes my noise...

I'm just getting started and I would LOVE DD as well. Backprinting would be awesome as well.

...........NOISE................
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    jrollins, I'm not happy with you.

I clicked on the thread and noticed the first date was Jan 5th, so I kept on reading. I really got excited when I saw Baldy's and onethumb's posts (#16 and 17), thinking this was finally going to happen.

THEN I realized that this thread was a year old!

THANKS for getting me all excited for nothing :cry

Since I'm typing, here's another vote for digital downloads

:):
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Would making it an option in the shopping cart be acceptable?

Like in the dropdowns for prints, there was a dropdown for Digital File or Digital Image or something?

And then at the end, on the order complete page, they'd have the option of downloading their image, and we could include a link in the order confirmation email as well?

Would your customers understand that "add to cart" also adds digital downloads?

Thanks,

Don

Yes, I would like this! thumb.gif But the default when adding images should be NO DIGITAL DOWNLOAD and only when explicitly (sp?) specified.
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2006
    Just thought I would add in that I support the idea of digital downloads as an option. I honestly don't know how much I would get to use it but I could forsee it being helpful in some future events I want to shoot and offer to people for purchase:)

Thanks!
  • Options
    RaymondhRaymondh Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    I could sure use this feature right about now! Any news? Is there any other site that anyone knows about that offers the option to sell digital downloads?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Raymondh wrote:
    I could sure use this feature right about now! Any news? Is there any other site that anyone knows about that offers the option to sell digital downloads?
    Another bump for ya. I just sold a digital file today. On my own. Through email. Rather than through my photography e-commerce site. Bummer. :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Thanks guys! We know you want it deal.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Another vote right here. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    i haven't done my broken record impersonation on here yet, so...

please consider this post another vote in support of certain-to-be-beautifully-implemented digital downloads on smugmug!
    :encore

j
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    i haven't done my broken record impersonation on here yet, so...

please consider this post another vote in support of certain-to-be-beautifully-implemented digital downloads on smugmug!

Bump again. C'mon guys...
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    :encore

j
    I wonder why I haven't participated in this thread already - this gets my vote, too! Especially since I've got a pro account myself for some time now.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    technocrafttechnocraft Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    We don't have this feature yet?!?!

Like others, I've been offering digital downloads outside of smugmug. Customers send a paypal payment with the url of the image. For lowres (smugmug large), I simply unwatermark the image and let them download it. For highres (smugmug original), I copy the image to a private, password protected gallery where originals are available, then email the gallery url and password to the customer. It's not hard, but it's a pain in the butt compared to how people buy prints.

But I strongly disagree with the base-price for dd proposed earlier in this thread. $1-2.50?!? Are you serious? You already charge for bandwidth, which is what's being used here in the delivery of the product. The cost of processing, payment, etc is made in the 15% you take off the top of our prices, that's not enough? I would not find it unfair for their to be a minimum take for smugmug though, ($0.50 or 15% whichever is larger for example) but I don't see the need for a base price too.

Also, the Specialty Prints vs Standard Prints dropdowns has been a problem for me for a long time. People don't know to move outside that Standard Prints dropdown. Putting dd's there under another category is fine if it makes it easier for you guys to implement, but that's an issue outside of dd's alone.

And I would like to be able to price the dd's as per the sizes available on smumug (S,M,L,O) even though those aren't optimal. I'd like something in between L and O, like 1500px - XL?
    -Tony
    http://images.tonyschreiber.com
    (technocraft.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    I don't think they completely understand how much their profit will increase (more sales = more profit for Smugmug) if they let us do these transactions through Smugmug...
  • Options
    Canon10DCanon10D Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2006
    I'll gladly
    upgrade my account to pro once this feature is implemented.

While I may not have the 'inventory' at the moment, this sure would spurr me on to get more shots and be more creative doing it.

I know you have to be working on it... c'mon... think of what you can do to make me spend more money, take more pictures, and get new photo toys? Sounds win - win to me. mwink.gif

Hows that for noise? deal.gif
  • Options
    jagrajagra Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 20, 2006
    This is very important to me.
    A DD feature would be extremely valuable to my Business. My gf is a Graphic Designer and wants me to offer my images to her company through DD to make the transactions more seamless and instant.

I have a couple questions... Would you (smugmug) run into liability problems if an image was dl'ed and used in an ad that didn't have a release? And I know the copyright laws are very different in Canada, let alone all the other countries that might use this service. With an extremely confused take on Photography Copyright law, are there any glaring problems that might prevent you from offering this service?

I am a new signee and so far I really like smugmug. I was running gallery2 on my website before and really appreciate the hands off approach you offer, allowing me to concentrate on photography. I am still in the grace period and think I might explore different options if this won't be implemented soon.

Too bad because I really like the attitude and community behind everything here.