Options

>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    This debate has been very interesting, and after some thought, alludes to the heart of why I personally like LPS so much.

Sure, I could enter other photo contests, but it just isn't very FUN. I really don't want to compete against a bunch of other wedding photographers, I'm not going to grow from that. Even if you win, you feel like you're winning on an island; you know nothing about the other contestants, what their style is, what their creative process is like....and what they think about your work. Judges feedback may be given to you on your own image, but its usually only if you do well.

At the risk of sounding warm and fuzzy,: here, we have a chance to grow together as artists as the contest progresses and I find that incredibly engaging.

Where else can a direct competitor, a stranger nonetheless, give you totally honest and helpful feedback on your work before and after you enter it. I never once felt like someone was leading me astray for their own positioning, which is shocking in this "me first" world we live in. There is a solidarity here that I find refreshing and downright addictive. Where else would someone I didn't know PM me and say, "you know you can do better, Lynne."

I really don't care what the rules are, what the judging system is (although the public choice only votes I think tend to suffer from the "Thomas Kincaid" effect)...I can say I don't like this or that, but the fact is.....I'll be back.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    I can say I don't like this or that, but the fact is.....I'll be back.

Oh man, she's not leaving?! Competition will still be fierce. mwink.gif
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    About half of the top 10 are composites including the shot which is now in first place.

My personal interpretation of Shay's intent for this competition is to think of each image like you would a movie: don't worry about how it was done, just sit back and enjoy the show. I think it is fundamental to the nature of the "2 weeks to shoot a theme" format that most of the entries will be fictions rather than facts. As such, debating how that fiction was created seems a little pedantic.

Well, I guess I should have stated "obvious composites". While I suppose it is quite possible that "Lone Ranger" is a composite, nothing about it screams composite to me. The top three all don't look like composites to me, though of course they could be. Of the current top 5 only "school outing" is an obvious composite. And I really like it, I definitely wouldn't want any rule that kept something like "school outing" out of the competition. My point was that most of the photos that look like cool photoshop tricks aren't doing so well, which gets back to some of the original points which was if it doesn't "look" like a photo it may not connect with folks. How it is created is of little concern to me and I don't see compositing techniques giving anyone an "advantage".

And yeah, I completely agree your interpretation. Spot on in my book.

Ken
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Wow! You guys were really busy yesterday while I was slaving away at my job!!! :whew I think for it's first go-around LPS has been hugely successful. We have all gained from the experience even if some of our best work ended up not qualifying. :cry The big complaint seems to be the judging. If the judging were more predictable, there would be those who could possibly feel it was 'slanted'. There were moments I was not pleased with how the judges 'interpreted' the themes. My biggest complaint being that I think of this media as an art form and should be a chance for personal expression. I found artistic expression being squashed sometimes in favor of 'meeting the theme' instead of judging other merits of the work. In fairness, many of the judges, myself included, were judging for the very first time. That too was an opportunity to grow. In the end I decided to let any negativity that I witnessed or experienced go and just shoot for myself and that is what I will continue to do.

Re: the photoshop issue...there is no issue. Let it be. I admit to being frustrated when the contests seemed to be leaning away from the more pure form of photography. I found myself Sunday night attempting my very 'first' layered composition. It wouldn't have met the high qualifications here, although it probably would have scored better than the shot I posted which, though it looks like it, is NOT a compilation!! :D No one should feel that any media (or subject-matter) is inferior. We will see the best of everything if we embrace all of it.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    What about having fewer rounds with each round longer? That would require fewer judges if they keep getting switched out and give them more time to peruse the entries.... headscratch.gif

Oh, shoot. I said I was lurking. Sorry. :D
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    What about having fewer rounds with each round longer? That would require fewer judges if they keep getting switched out and give them more time to peruse the entries.... headscratch.gif

Oh, shoot. I said I was lurking. Sorry. :D

I have to chime in and agree. Two weeks is plenty of time if I'm spending most of my waking hours working with a camera, but instead I spend 40 hours a week behind a desk. Many weekends I've got things going on, usually planned a month or more in advance, shoots with models, shoots to cover events or a trip to a specific place. If something that fits with the theme happens to come my way, I might by chance get something, but with only two weeks for the round, in practical terms that usually means one weekend, and most of the time that weekend already has photographic projects planned for it.

Myself, I think I'd like more advance notice of what the theme will be. Or perhaps shifting the time frame. For example if the theme is announced on a Wednesday and closes two Wednesdays later, then I'd have two full weekends to work on it and would be more likely to have some free hours to think about the theme and do something. And a little bit of cushion on the last Monday and Tuesday evenings to evaluate and select or edit.

Just some thoughts from another mostly lurker, :-)
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 20, 2008
    synature wrote:
    Myself, I think I'd like more advance notice of what the theme will be.
    This is one of a few points that we are absolutely NOT flexible on. Let me elaborate, from where we're standing:

1) takes away from equal participation in all rounds. If you don't know what the themes are, you have to work in EACH round, just in case thats the best one you get all year. No waiting for your favorite theme to come up.

2) makes "cheating" more tempting... we like to think the best, but if you happen to get that perfect theme shot too early, well, we all know temptation is evil. with fresh themes, we remove a part of that.

3) throw your freaking dayplanner away when it comes to LPS, photography is art! :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    1) takes away from equal participation in all rounds. If you don't know what the themes are, you have to work in EACH round, just in case thats the best one you get all year. No waiting for your favorite theme to come up.

Food for though on this point, this may be a good justification for themes in the SFs and Final. Those that qualify in the 1st couple rounds have way more time to plan for the SF, and those that make it from the 1st SF have nearly 9 months to plan for the final. A theme would put everyone on level footing, plus, I think the themed shots have been more interesting, but the last part is just my opinion.

Just an idea.

-r
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Hey Erik
    I haven't said a word (recently) (as I'm always stirring up a hornet's nest)...so, I just wanted to say, thank you ......you have a tremendous responsibiltiy on your shoulders with no pay and have to listen to all sorts of suggestions/bickering/complaining/and once in awhile, some positive fodder. I for one appreciate your involvement and appreciate your continued efforts keeping this contest systematic and in tact. Maybe that's why you're the DOCTOR rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This is one of a few points that we are absolutely NOT flexible on. Let me elaborate, from where we're standing:

2) makes "cheating" more tempting... we like to think the best, but if you happen to get that perfect theme shot too early, well, we all know temptation is evil. with fresh themes, we remove a part of that.

3) throw your freaking dayplanner away when it comes to LPS, photography is art! :D

Whew! Didn't mean to stir up the hornets, :-) I was agreeing with the previous poster on a desire to have a little more time. Two weeks is plenty of time if you don't have have a dayplanner and don't have places you have to be and things you have to do.

And I guess I didn't realize that LPS requires participation in every theme, though "Last Photographer Standing" does kinda imply that by the title, now that I think about it. So I will not be able to participate as I have commitments that are going to keep me away from the internet two weekends in a row at least twice during the upcoming contest period. Where I will be may in fact be a good place to capture the theme, if I knew what it was, but it's very unlikely that I'd have the opportunity to sit down at my digital darkroom and select/edit for an entry, let alone be at a place where I could submit.

But I'll lurk along and see how it goes, there were some truly magnificent entries last year.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    synature wrote:
    And I guess I didn't realize that LPS requires participation in every theme
    Nope, you've misunderstood. You definitely don't have to participate in every round. As the current rules are, you could compete in as little as 3 rounds over the course of an entire year (one contest round, one semifinal, and the grand finale) and win!

Again, the idea is to encourage more lurkers to jump in at any time, not sit by and wait for round #5 to come up, because they think they like that theme.

make sense?
    Erik

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nope, you've misunderstood. You definitely don't have to participate in every round. As the current rules are, you could compete in as little as 3 rounds over the course of an entire year (one contest round, one semifinal, and the grand finale) and win!

Again, the idea is to encourage more lurkers to jump in at any time, not sit by and wait for round #5 to come up, because they think they like that theme.

make sense?

And then there are us nutcases who shoot for every round... I'll have to say I really enjoy the surprise of each new theme. As for the planning for the semi or final, thinking about unthemed shots is something I do all the time whether or not there is a contest.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    And then there are us nutcases who shoot for every round... I'll have to say I really enjoy the surprise of each new theme. As for the planning for the semi or final, thinking about unthemed shots is something I do all the time whether or not there is a contest.

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2008
    renstar wrote:
    Food for though on this point, this may be a good justification for themes in the SFs and Final. Those that qualify in the 1st couple rounds have way more time to plan for the SF, and those that make it from the 1st SF have nearly 9 months to plan for the final. A theme would put everyone on level footing, plus, I think the themed shots have been more interesting, but the last part is just my opinion.

Just an idea.

-r

I don't know about that. Since there is no theme, Everyone has exactly the same amount of time to prepare for SF and Finals. Just because you don't know that you'll "make the cut" doesn't mean you can't try and figure out what you'll do if you win. The photos for everyone have to be taken in the same 2 weeks, so all you can do before that is get things read and do test shots.

Just gotta have faith in yourself that you'll make the cut wings.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2008
    I've unstuck this thread to clear as many stickies as possible for this critical time... I'm sure it'll stay right up at the top anyway.
    :D

Now go vote - ROUND #2 is LIVE!!!!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=85283
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I've unstuck this thread to clear as many stickies as possible for this critical time... I'm sure it'll stay right up at the top anyway.
    :D

You might even consider putting a "Questions and Discussion" link to it from the rules thread and leave it unstuck. That way it'll keep getting bumped. While I am making suggestions, it might be worth putting that wonderful set of links you put at the start of each entry thread in the rules thread as well. Its especially important now when we don't have a stickied entry thread, but it seems worthwhile to make those links as easily accessible as possible.

Of course I realize that all may be subject to change...

Oh, and, ummm... bump.
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Regarding the recent change in voting rules for the finals, does this mean that the polls will not reflect the true numbers and that we all should just wait until the official announcement after the conclusion?
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Regarding the recent change in voting rules for the finals, does this mean that the polls will not reflect the true numbers and that we all should just wait until the official announcement after the conclusion?
    They will updated in bulk pretty soon, probably in a few hrs or so. Then we'll be keeping things fresh till the closing.
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    I just wanted to say a thank you to everyone involved in putting this together...I am not in the contest and new around here and it seems that everyone that is working on this is giving it their all which requires a ton of work and time, so big UPs to them... The money is a great thing, but I think people are thinking about the money more then just having a good time with the contest and that is kind of sad.

So thanks to everyone involved and the photos that have been entered are amazing clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    BPerron wrote:
    The money is a great thing, but I think people are thinking about the money more then just having a good time with the contest and that is kind of sad.

You've come to this forum at a rather unique time. Normally a new submission thread opens at the same moment the old one closes. Largely the focus of the discussion stays on works in progress for the current round. Now, for the first time in a year, we don't have a contest to shoot for and at the same time we have a very high profile voting thread. It is natural, I think, to expect that the discussion will shift under those circumstances but I have full faith that when the next contest cycle starts the conversation will shift quite rapidly back to the new photographs in process.
  • Options
    BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2008
    LiquidAir wrote:
    You've come to this forum at a rather unique time. Normally a new submission thread opens at the same moment the old one closes. Largely the focus of the discussion stays on works in progress for the current round. Now, for the first time in a year, we don't have a contest to shoot for and at the same time we have a very high profile voting thread. It is natural, I think, to expect that the discussion will shift under those circumstances but I have full faith that when the next contest cycle starts the conversation will shift quite rapidly back to the new photographs in process.

Yeah I figured that was the case...money always seems to riun anything good in my experience and that is just where our society is at...but I am very excited about being a part of this community and entering my very humble photos in the contest and learning from what seems like a whole bunch of experience. wings.gif
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • Options
    Pickled PhotonsPickled Photons Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    Photo frame?
    This is probably not the correct forum but I thought I remember somewhere around here a link to a website that sells photo frame. What I mean by that is this company will print photos from smugmug and mounted it on some kind of bracket for hanging on the wall.

Any insights is highly appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Pickled PhotonsPickled Photons Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2008
    This is probably not the correct forum but I thought I remember somewhere around here a link to a website that sells photo frame. What I mean by that is this company will print photos from smugmug and mounted it on some kind of bracket for hanging on the wall.

Any insights is highly appreciated.

Thanks

OK I found it. It was fotoflot. Thanks for reading anyway.

Regards.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    One thing I want to make perfectly clear, again: If you win a prize, from LPS, it is indeed your prize to do with what you wish. But you may not ever, ever, ever sell such prize on Dgrin. What you do with it beyond that, well, that's up to you. But we won't allow "for sale" threads of LPS prizes here on Dgrin.

I'm sorry if this upsets any of you :(
  • Options
    LtRavenLtRaven Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 12, 2008
    first of all, great job, guys! this is simply wonderfull!
    Second, i can't wait for a new start! The LPS just took first place in my agenda! Maybe I'm not that good (actually, I'm not good at all), but learning is my first objective! So, LPS, here i come, even I will probably make a complete foll of my self (hope it will start soon)!
    And third... there is no third!
    Enjoy! I sure will!
  • Options
    nicolvnicolv Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2008
    I'm a bit confused. ne_nau.gif So the new contest hasn't started as yet?
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    LPS II has not started. Laughing.gifcat, a fun contest to bridge the gap, is now in full meow. :D
    Chris
  • Options
    GirGir Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    2009 Lps?
    will there be one this year? I've only seen really old threads from last year and no info on if it continues in 2009. Where can I go to find out when it'll start/if it will be this year?

Thanks!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    The LPS challenges went from 07 - 08. The challenges are still going on, it's just that the format has changed somewhat and they're called DSS challenges now. Information can be found here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101510

You can participate now. mwink.gif
  • Options
    GirGir Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2009
    Excellent! I've already entered a few of those! thanks!