Options

Wedding Photographer Boot Camp with Shay Stephens

Comments

• Options
    seekerseeker Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Well I am pumped!
    Andy wrote:
    [imgr]http://shaystephens.smugmug.com/photos/148302734-M.jpg[/imgr]Coming to a city near you!
    NYC • Boston • Washington, D.C. • Chicago • Orlando • Houston • Denver • Seattle • San Francisco • San Diego

Workshops are limited to 10 students each, which fills up fast.

Join Shay Stephens in this 4 day intensive wedding photography workshop for photographers new to wedding photography or who just want to get to the next level. The workshop covers:
    • Photojournalistic style wedding photography
    • Attracting and booking the right clients and avoiding "bridezillas"
    • Lighting techniques, including off camera and available light
    • Shoot a ceremony in a real church with models or actors dressed in stunning bridal attire
    • A photojournalistically inspired portrait session with the bride and groom in a beautiful park setting
    • The church and park photos you take can be used on your website and portfolio
    • Efficient post wedding workflow and batching
    • Managing deliverables like books, images on disk, and video DVD slideshows
    It's a learning experience that will keep your wedding photography business on track.

As a special "thank you" for attending the Boot Camp, Shay will be shooting portrait photos of each student, that they can use for their own promotional needs.

You can find all the details here:
    http://shaystephens.smugmug.com/gallery/2765723

If you know anyone (Dgrin member or not) who might benefit from attending, please invite them to visit the link above.

There is a good chance I will be attending the workshop in D.C. (just emailed Jennifer, and am waiting to hear if you still have openings). I just secured my first wedding shoot for this August, so I am in serious need of help! rolleyes1.gif

Can't wait for this!

- Brian
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    seeker wrote:
    There is a good chance I will be attending the workshop in D.C. (just emailed Jennifer, and am waiting to hear if you still have openings). I just secured my first wedding shoot for this August, so I am in serious need of help! rolleyes1.gif

Can't wait for this!

- Brian

Hey Brian!
    Jen is sending some info and you are all set! See you in D.C. clap.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    We are talking to a man from Australia who is coming to NY to propose, so you never know...

As to the online version, I don't know how that could work with what I have planned. So for now I am going to say no to alternate versions.

Well you know you will have at least one student if you turn up on our doorstep...

:D
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Amusing thoughts:

1) I'll be at my parents home on Long Island during the time of the NYC boot camp for my anniversary (June 24th)... but alas home for anniversary = not home for boot camp

and 2)
    I live in northwest indiana... so I won't be far from the chicago one...

but alas, I just dropped a big chunk o change on some new lenses, so affording 2 grand for a super amazing 4 day boot camp = not in my budget :(

but if it was I'd so be there! I just need to go and win the lotto now, lol
  • Options
    FotoChickFotoChick Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Insider News!
    When designing this boot camp we wanted to make the wedding day a real boost to the portfolios of the attendees. We wanted something that would not only appeal to the photographer, but their potential brides and clients as well. Pushing the classic wedding look with a pinch of fashion flair, it's the reason so many brides and fashion magazines are sold.

Your brides dream big, and to that end the 2007 WPBC wedding day theme is “1940's Hollywood Glamor”. This look will capture the attention of your potential clients with its dramatic & romantic style with a contemporary twist.

The professional makeup artist will give your bride a modern take on the 1940's glamor girl, with fresh skin, liquid eyeliner, dramatic lips. :tuesday

The professional hairdresser with adapt the hair to flatter your bride while going for a sexy mostly down coiffure with a European inspired pearl/feather accent on the side.

Your bride will have a stunning couture gown. Trend setting fresh flowers, with an emphasis on soft colors and freshwater pearl accents.

Your bride will be receiving a 14K white gold Edwardian style ring with a 3 ct diamond center stone, and delicate side accent stones. (only your jeweler knows for sure!) And your groom will be be receiving a sleek titanium band. :andy

Each student will be giving the opportunity to shoot their own ceremony as the main shooter, and as the assistant shooter. The photo's in the park will be the same way, with each student as main shooter and lighting assistant. Very nice portfolio building opportunity!!!

The 4 day long curriculum will be very informative, but refreshing also. binge.gifIn addition to the standard break times, each day the classroom will be served a refreshing lunch, (not a heavy hotel buffet) so that more time can be spent discussing the curriculum. Breakfast is provided to the students, and dinner will be a fun, tasty, social time to talk shop. :lol

We hope to see YOU there!
    Jen (Mrs. Shay Stephens)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    FotoChick wrote:
    When designing this boot camp ...We hope to see YOU there!
    Boy, am I glad I'm in! :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Exactly what I was looking for...
    Nikolai wrote:

Thanks, Nik for passing the word on to me - this is just what I was looking for in the way of a class - something realistic that I could snap my shutter at.

In 12 hours from now, I will shoot my first wedding as first shooter. I am so pumped. My cards are formatted, batteries charged, case packed and lenses cleaned. I am sure the workshop will take me to the next level sooner rather than later.deal.gif

Question: Should we plan on being in San Diego a day before? What time will you start the first morning - we're about 3 hours away...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Kathy,
    ChatKat wrote:
    Thanks, Nik for passing the word on to me - this is just what I was looking for in the way of a class - something realistic that I could snap my shutter at.

In 12 hours from now, I will shoot my first wedding as first shooter. I am so pumped. My cards are formatted, batteries charged, case packed and lenses cleaned. I am sure the workshop will take me to the next level sooner rather than later.deal.gif

Question: Should we plan on being in San Diego a day before? What time will you start the first morning - we're about 3 hours away...

You're welcome! iloveyou.gif

Well, we might as well start really early, say 3am, and maybe catch up with the sunrise on the way..mwink.gif

Good luck on that wedding! thumb.gif
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Wished I could do this so bad... But right now, the tickets from UK to USA are so darn expensive... Enjoy youselves all and think a little thought for us who would like to do this but can't...
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    It looks like you two thought of everything, Jen. I'm getting nervous already and I haven't even sent in my deposit yet.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif This is something that I have been needing for sometime. I've got a slot in the Boston session and I'm soooooo looking forward to it. Especially after the more indepth description posted by Jennifer.
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Wow! This looks GREAT!!! I just found this thread and now I'm hoping there is a Chicago spot!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    mmmatt wrote:
    Wow! This looks GREAT!!! I just found this thread and now I'm hoping there is a Chicago spot!

Matt

Do It Matt. I'm sure there is still prolly one or two spots open for ya.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    mmmatt wrote:

Matt
    At the very least, give Jen a call and find out about availability.
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    nod.gif15524779-Ti.gif This is something that I have been needing for sometime. I've got a slot in the Boston session and I'm soooooo looking forward to it. Especially after the more indepth description posted by Jennifer.

Im going to be in Boston too.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    winger wrote:
    Im going to be in Boston too.
    Cool. Looking forward to meeting you.

I had a glance at a couple of your wedding galleries. Nice work!
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Cool. Looking forward to meeting you.

I had a glance at a couple of your wedding galleries. Nice work!

Thanks!
    The vast majority of those galleries I was only a guest. I have only really shot one wedding as the photograhper (after numberous friends begging and then being disapointed by who they hired I caved)

I find the sport background comes in handy because I am use to shooting peak action as it happens. You cant make a touch down pass happen again and you can kind of look at wedding activites that way.

But I know I have alot to learn before I start marketing myself to the masses.

I just stuck my top wedding photos in one featured gallery.
    http://www.winger.smugmug.com/gallery/2815631#150478457
    I am trying to find some work as a 2nd photograhper this summer for experience so I have been meaing to do this anyways.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    Wished I could do this so bad... But right now, the tickets from UK to USA are so darn expensive... Enjoy youselves all and think a little thought for us who would like to do this but can't...

It's OK Shay's coming to the UK next year, aren't you Shay?

clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Introducing...

The WPBC couture wedding gown by Maggie Sottero!

This season, bridal couture has seen a slimmer, more sultry silhouette, and this strapless gown is at the forefront of fashion with its long corset-back bodice of Ritz Dupion Silk asymmetrically ruched to accentuate the feminine figure. The fitted hip is accented with a silk bouquet, and the skirt of fluted tulle cascades gently to the floor, and the chapel length train.

Our brides have raved about their Maggie Sottero gowns for years, and with good reason. The Sydney based Maggie Sottero design team are recognized as the winner of numerous bridal industry awards, including five prestigious DEBI Awards, eight Desert Rose Awards, two Diva Awards, and two Dallas Rose Awards.

On the WPBC tour we will have two of these gowns for your 1940's Hollywood Glamor Bride model. One gown in Silk White, and the other in Cameo Pink, and each attendee will have the chance to vote on the color used on their city's wedding day.

CameoPink.jpg

SilkWhite.jpg

What is your favorite color?
    Jen (Mrs. Shay Stephens)
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    What is your favorite color?
    Hard choice. They are both so beautiful. I think, for the purposes of the educational experience, the pink one will provide more challenge and that would be my vote.

I am so looking forward to the WPBC!!
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I'm close to making my decision.... Anyone else looking at Denver? That's where I'll be for sure if I do it!

• Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    I'm close to making my decision.... Anyone else looking at Denver? That's where I'll be for sure if I do it!

Denver has had a slow start, but there has been 1 signup and 3 inquiries in the just the last two days :-)
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Well I live about 17 minutes NW of Houston...so is the cost still the same if I don't want to stay in the Hotel? I would love to attend this.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    I live about 17 minutes NW of Houston...so is the cost still the same if I don't want to stay in the Hotel? I would love to attend this.
    Seneca,

We have made arrangements for this! Someone in your “I live close” situation can save some money. I sent you a PM..
    Jen (Mrs. Shay Stephens)
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    We may have to look into a different location...I have a shoot during the workshop we orig. planned on coming to. :(:
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2007
    dancinkate wrote:
    We may have to look into a different location...I have a shoot during the workshop we orig. planned on coming to. :(:

Not a problem. There are still many to choose from :D

As a side note, we received the dresses from Maggie Sottero today clap.gif They look great!
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Just a quick update, we only have 3 spots left in Denver, but still have 8 in San Diego.

Thanks to Nikolai for working up this cool graphic clap.gif
    172078386-L.jpg

Denver
    Hotel: Embassy Suites Denver Southeast
    Church: Our Lady of Loretto Chapel – Teikyo Loretto Heights University
    Park: Washington Park, Denver

San Diego
    Hotel: The Bay Club Hotel on Shelter Island, San Diego
    Church: Saint Francis Chapel, Balboa Park
    Park: Balboa Park, San Diego
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    What is teh basic schedule and when is the hotel taken care of? I'm doing the Denver one and was wondering if the hotel on Friday was taken care of and also what time it started on Saturday.

Thanks so much! Really looking forward to it!!!
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2007
    Just a quick update, we only have 3 spots left in Denver, but still have 8 in San Diego.
    Can't wait, man, can't wait! mwink.gifdeal.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Can't wait, man, can't wait! mwink.gifdeal.gifthumb.gifclap.gif

Yep, me too. But maybe we ought to move it from San Diego to the Westlake Village Inn!mwink.gif
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com