Options

In Memoriam: Ginger Jones

Comments

• Options
    vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    I will always miss you, G. you had a vision, so beautiful and different from so many others..I saw magnolia gardens and so much of SC thru your eyes in the dailies...so many comments, this and that shared there between us..I felt terrible now, and spent some time browsing thru your galleries..I feel better now, I will soon have 'the egret and I spent many hours together shot' to remember you, smile.
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    My heart is heavy and I have no words, so I'll post this.

Do not stand by my grave and weep
    I am not there. I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am a diamond glint on snow
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awake in the morning bush
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circling flight
    I am the soft starshine at night
    Do not stand by my grave and cry
    I am not there... I did not die.
    ~ Anonymous

These are the things that Ginger showed us in her photography. The beauty that surrounds us all. Rest well Ginger, rest well.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Ginger's words:

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    MeffordMefford Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Rip
    Goodbye, Ginger-
  • Options
    A. KausA. Kaus Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Thank you, Andy, for such a nice tribute to Ginger. It is poignant that many of her last few months of photos were of paths leading off to the unknown.

Godspeed, Ginger.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    Godspeed Ginger, "Crazy creek babe"
    Ginger gave her heart and soul to this community. Her spirited ups and downs, images and stories are legendary; they impressed, amused and even confused many of us. I never met her, and only really exchanged about a half dozen PM's with her while judging some photo challenges. But because of our mutual involvement here, I guess I can say I knew her somewhat.

What I got to know about her the most was her abundant energy, spent mostly with her cameras in hand. That same spirit she put into her art — up until just 15 days ago — were spent snapping away even as she knew she was going into the emergency room. She had an idea that time was running thin, as she typed her thoughts into her galleries.

From her image captions:
    Gosh, thanks all. I saw an unusual egret shot on dGrin's egret fest, I have nothing with which to do an egret like that, but it inspired me to stay up til 4 AM trying out egret shots with dark backgrounds. I do like this one best.
    Thank you, though!!!
    ginger

another...
    It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........

Ginger's last thread here, the peacock image.

Her Dgrin signature "After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea." I don't know what that means, but it was special to Ginger. Ginger was special to all of us.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Goodbye, Ginger!
    I'm in shock. It can't be. :cry
    Ginger, you'be missed and remembered... bowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    I too wish the very best to the memory of Ginger, and I hope the best for Bill and their family.

The legacy of Ginger is still clear in her pictures and prose, and I am so proud to be affiliated with the Digital Grin and how it is honoring her work.

Bravo Andy and Baldy and whoever else is responsible for setting up her galleries as a fitting memorial to her life and her love for the world around her, and that included us, her friends.

Ginger, you honored us with your wit and humor, but you graced us by sharing a glimpse of your world through your photography. Thank you for that and thank you for changing me in a most profound way. You touched my mind and you touched my heart.

Farewell friend!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I just returned from a family gathering and immediately searched for more Ginger news. This was not the news I hoped for, but was trying to prepare for. Like all of you I am deeply saddened by the loss. Ginger was one of those special people who made you feel right at home. She was like a special family member even though we had never met. Ginger was an amazing photographer and her work had a special quality that made it instantly recognizable when you saw the thumbnails anytime you visited the DP forum. Although recognizable, her work was constantly fresh and evolving and embodied not only her ever popular bird photography, but gorgeous landscapes as well. Ginger had a special eye for capturing people and she was a great historian and storyteller for the area she lived in and loved so much. I told her on more than one occasion that her portraits were my favorites. My condolences go out to her family members and thank you Andy and Smugmug for keeping her galleries alive for us to visit and others to learn from. I already own some of Ginger's work and plan to purchase some more. Ginger we will miss you and your love and dedication to this art. :cry
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I normally don't post to these types of threads. It depresses me. But I feel like I have to this time.

Goodbye Ginger. You'll be missed.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Gosh I just got home from work, and was not expecting to see this thread.
    What a shock.

Words are so inadequate at times like this, nothing you can say or do will change the outcome.

Ginger always made me smile, with some of the things she said :D

Our time on this earth is so short, Ginger will be sadly missed by all.

My condolences to Bill and family .... God Bless.

... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    I suspect this image was a favorite of hers also. I know it is of mine.

143363401-L.jpg

She will be sorely missed.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I suspect this image was a favorite of hers also. I know it is of mine.

I saw a body of work, this included, that I haven't seen before. Some really
    neat stuff.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    No-one put more of their life and soul into photography.

She'll leave a huge hole here on the forum but even moreso in Bill's life.
    My thoughts are with you Bill.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I'll miss G, and the persistence at all she did. My thoughts go out to the ones close to her.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    My sincerest condolences to Ginger's husband, Bill, and to their family.

This is a shock. I think we all expected Ginger to recover from her illness.

It's a fine tradition to tell stories about our loved ones when they pass away. Without a doubt, Ginger was dgrin's first and biggest character. When you read a Ginger post, you were never, ever in any doubt whatsoever about who wrote it. They were funny, rambling, often hard to decipher... but, always and ever, uniquely Ginger's.

Her passion for, and knowledge of, photography shone through. And if modern technology sometimes baffled her, well, I think most of us could relate. When she'd write a panic stricken post because some piece of equipment (was it always her computer? lol3.gif) wasn't working, she was only putting into words what I've felt many times myself.

But then she'd bounce back and post a dizzying number of photos... and some real beauties, too. Ginger wasn't afraid to experiment in plain view. Before you knew it, a real corker of a shot had snuck up on you.

I've never run into anyone quite like Ginger. She was a unique and wonderful character. She let us into her life. By so doing, she won her way into ours. She brought an unforgettable life to our pages. And in death, she leaves an emptiness that cannot be filled.

Rest in peace, Ginger. You will be greatly missed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Man...i just got home & im reading this. G was one of my favorite photog's in here. What an eye. I very much always wanted to meet her & shoot with her as she has a sense of humour that was razor sharp & i loved it.

My deepest sympathys are with you Bill & the family. Im shedding tears as i type this. You will very much missed by all whom knew you G.

Godspeed G.

Gus
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    What an unexpected shock, I saw the thread about her illness, but never realised that it was so close :cry

Deepest sympathies to her closest...

I must also thank all dgrinners for sharing their tributes to her
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    dandill wrote:
    Ginger's words

That's beautiful.
    I had a look at Ginger's gallery and thought this was appropriate

I never knew Ginger or much about her but as others have said, I too am touched by her passing. My sincerest condolences to all who knew her and especially her family.

I will buy a print not just to help out but because I love this image, one I never saw before and which to be honest, I probably would have missed had Ginger not passed. Ginger asked whether anyone would put it on their living room wall: I will.

Had Ginger not passed I would not have looked at her images the way I now do, I would not have seen the light, the simplicity, the beauty, the love in them. Because of her passing I look at them with my heart not my head, and I see her heart in them. Her pictures show a complete stranger what a beautiful person she was.
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    My favorite photo, but there were so many, her boats, I love her boats and marsh grass. She would always tell me 'I'm not a teacher' but then would in her off hand way drop some little trick she would use in post. The world as Ginger saw it was a special place, magical.

133610964-L.jpg
  • Options
    aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Goodbye, Ginger.

Your ever-present passion and gritty persistence
    continue to shine.

smile

"... Drink the nector of sweet tea, the refreshing, life giving
    taste of water, think on what is important...........to you!"

(http://crabbycreeklady.smugmug.com/popular/7/76038312/Large)
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Oh No, Im so saddened by this news.

Ginger , you will be so missed !

My sympathy to Bill and family.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Like many here, I never met her – probably never even exchanged emails with her – but I felt in some small way I knew her.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    I guess the best compliment I can give her is “Ginger, I’ll miss you – you affected my photography in a positive way.”

<o:p></o:p>
    Godspeed and unlimited shutter clicks now - Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    My condolenses to Gingers family. I have not been here long, But enjoyed her posts and personality that came thru. God bless i will check out her galleries to order a print.

I think i will go out and shoot today with Gingers inspiration in my heart.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Thinking of you...
    I just learned of Ginger's passing. I am so sorry for her families loss.
    I didn't know Ginger very well but I was so inspired by her work and
    her dedication to it. Every single shot she took was so important to
    process just right and she did that very well.

I will always remember her post having "smile" in them. You could almost
    picture her as you read her post the grin come across her face. She brought
    life to pictures with her keen eye and her distinctive style and she brought life to her own image by the little stories she would post with each shot.

Rest in peace. Everything is beautiful up there so you can shoot to your
    hearts content.:)

God Bless, Gail
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    ar dheis dé go raibh a anam

smile,
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    This is still a shock even after sleeping on it. Ginger was an inspiration. Thusie if there is anything I can do or anything you can think of that I could send to Bill to help in any way let me know.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SleepingWolfSleepingWolf Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I'm a newcomer here but from what I read in this tribute I regret never having met this lady, and never having that opportunity - I really wish I had.

My most sincere condolences go out to her family, friends, and this forum who so obviously cared dearly about her.
    Sleeping Wolves -Nature & Travel Photography
    Visit The Wolf's Lair
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Rest in Peace Ginger, you will be missed.

Of all of the Ginger moments that I remember, when I heard the news, I thought of the epic bridge series:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25517&highlight=bridge+ginger+morning+light
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=19246&highlight=bridge+ginger+morning+light
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18284&highlight=bridge+ginger+morning+light

The thing that I remember most, but I can't seem to find, is the picture of her knee deep in mud, with only one boot on, holding the other in her hand, if I remember correctly?

Either way, a shooter that would go to the ends of the world to capture bits and pieces of beauty, moments in time, and bring them to share with the rest of us. That is what truly made her special.

Every time I see something beautiful that mother nature's hidden for us to find, I'll smile and think of her.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I came to dgrin because Scott told me the people here were really nice. I distinctly remember him mentioning Ginger, saying that she has said some really kind words to him. That's what brought me here, and I always enjoyed looking at her work.

We're all going to miss her around here... my condolances to everyone who knew and loved this incredibly unique photographer!
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net