Options

In Memoriam: Ginger Jones

Comments

• Options
    Rolling StoneRolling Stone Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    A remarkable person has left us in body but her spirit shines through in her photos. Thanks Andy for the permanent memorial to her.

Randy
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    OK, let the Ginger stories begin.

I've changed my avatar back to one I know Ginger liked.

When I first started using this avatar, she bugged me about it. Constantly.

In the end, she drove me to massive retaliation.

And you know what? She took it so well, I have to say, she got the last word, really just by being herself. And you know what? In retrospect, she was right. That darn tennis ball really should be more yellow.

This was neither the first nor last time she deflated me after I made some long pedantic post. The first time I really became aware that she was something special was after I posted a torrent of words about Henri Cartier-Bresson. I mean a true torrent, complete with impressionist color theory and questions about translation from the French. But I missed the most important thing and Ginger caught me on it. (Just to put this in context, "People in Your Neighborhood" was the challenge topic at the time; she took those challenges very seriously and internalized them until they became her lens on the world.) Ginger could be right on target with very few words when she wanted to maximize the impact of her point.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Can we add stuff to the blog, Andy? I have so many great Ginger stories and favorite shots. Is that blog or this thread the right place for them, in your opinion?
    This thread please, is the best place deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    TylerW wrote:

40731679-S.jpg

Somehow, I missed that one. I've tried dozens of time to find the seashell by the seashore picture, but I never got close to "organizing" it (nor to seeing the real beauty, I suppose.) Ginger just nailed it here.

Please, can you save me the work of finding this in her site and post a link to the gallery so I can order a print? Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I missed this (shells) too! Thanks for posting it Tyler and a link please I'm going to order it too.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    If I didn't post this she'd mash me
    The shot below (the story) grew some pretty long legs since last year. Ginger had asked for help on picking photos for her show this July, the shot below was not a favorite for that venue. She kept asking me why and I finally said, nice shot but it makes me think of someone kicking yard art into the water. Ginger took on this shot like and orphan Corgi and from then on, about once a week, I would get a link to the shot.

In her words

"I think this is my best shot ever!

Everyone hates this shot except for me...so I would not expect this shot to be duplicated all over town. (That is a consideration here, to be me, not everyone else)."

I love this

133611324-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Please, can you save me the work of finding this in her site and post a link to the gallery so I can order a print? Thanks.
    http://upacreekphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/900798/1/40731679#40731679
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    My heart is so heavy. Thank you David and Waxy for finding me and telling me of Ginger's sad passing. I knew her from the start and will miss her. I think Waxy said it well when he said "She brought an unforgettable life to our pages. And in death, she leaves an emptiness that cannot be filled" Goodbye Ginger I will remember you always.
    My sincere condolences to Bill and family and to her beloved dogs.

Lynn :cry
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    G, it just won't be the same without you, I'll miss you. Tear
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    What devastating news--while I haven't been around as much lately, I have many happy memories of reading Ginger's posts--she was so open, invited everyone into her world--her stream of consciousness angst about her post-production at the beginning was particularly amazing and sometimes amusing as well. Her passion and artistic sensibilities came through loud and clear, inspiring others to take their own shooting to that next level. Her love for her beloved dogs was legendary. My sympathy on this shocking loss to her family.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    FUNERAL DETAILS

Thursday, May 10, 11:00 a.m., Stella Maris Church, Sullivan's Island, SC.
    In lieu of flowers the family is asking that donations be sent to Stella Maris Church, where Ginger attended for years and who has helped out Ginger and her family, or to the charity of your choice. Captel Phones or CorgiAid, for example, or any of your choice; Sara said that if a charity is important to you, and you were important to Ginger, that the charity would matter to Ginger.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    If any of you are intersted in a map of Ginger's world, I created one here. (I hope it works right.) I have marked the location of the her church, and Shem Creek, and a few of the other places that I know she shot regularly. I'm not sure exactly where her swamp was, but this will give you an idea of the beautiful area she lived in and photographed.

I made this for myself, so there are 2 placemarks that are relevant only to me and my family - please excuse these but it occured to me that some of you might be interested in seeing her surroundings.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I was away from the PC most of the weekend and found this just now. It is sad to see her go. I am at the same time overwhelmed by just how amazing the dgrin and smugmug community is. You dont see things like this in other places.

Goodbye Ginger, Rest in peace. Her memory will live on in the pictures and in our hearts.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Sad news indeed
    Andy

Thanks for letting us all know of the loss of a wonderful lady and talented photographer. My condolences to Gingers family and friends.

WJKK WJKF

HarjTT

:cry:cry
  • Options
    JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Condolences to Gingers Family and Friends
    I have not been here very long but I liked Ginger and was looking forward to getting to know her better.

Sincerely,

Jill
    Jill
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 8, 2007
    so ginger was deaf-

did anyone know she was deaf?-

did she ever mention it?-

(not to my knowledge)-

she once referred to a 'childhood ripe with peer teasing'-

(I trust she doesn't mind my divulging this in the spirit that I'm doing it in)-

so, to me, what she was saying is that she was made fun of, constantly-

was it because she was deaf, or going deaf?-

I don't know-

but was she bitter or mad about this?-

not that I ever noticed-

I would see a thread here where she would be teased and I guess she just didn't 'hear' it-

I guess my point is that I imagine that through life ginger had setbacks, probably moreso than a lot of us-

and I can't help but think, from all that I read, that she would bounce back, that she kept striving to be a better wife, a better mother, and obviously a better photographer (I myself thought she improved greatly over the couple years that I saw her photos)-

scott (her son) said that 'she was connected to the world through photography'-

and I assume that because she could converse with others through photos and this forum that we were, in a sense, family to her-

I would never thought her death would have affected me like it has-

what she meant to me just kind of snuck up on me-

I wish I had talked to you more, ginger-

I'll miss you-
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    so ginger was deaf-

did anyone know she was deaf?-

did she ever mention it?-

(not to my knowledge)-

she once referred to a 'childhood ripe with peer teasing'-

(I trust she doesn't mind my divulging this in the spirit that I'm doing it in)-

so, to me, what she was saying is that she was made fun of, constantly-

was it because she was deaf, or going deaf?-

I don't know-

but was she bitter or mad about this?-

not that I ever noticed-

I would see a thread here where she would be teased and I guess she just didn't 'hear' it-

I guess my point is that I imagine that through life ginger had setbacks, probably moreso than a lot of us-

and I can't help but think, from all that I read, that she would bounce back, that she kept striving to be a better wife, a better mother, and obviously a better photographer (I myself thought she improved greatly over the couple years that I saw her photos)-

scott (her son) said that 'she was connected to the world through photography'-

George, I don't recall that she ever used the term "deaf" but she often complained vocally about not being able to converse over the phone. During the time her camera was in the shop I think she mentioned not being able to hear what was being said. In fact, I think Dee gave her recommendations for a phone or a special phone service. Her complaints were subtle, but it was obvious she was greatly hearing-impaired.
    and I assume that because she could converse with others through photos and this forum that we were, in a sense, family to her-

I would never thought her death would have affected me like it has-

what she meant to me just kind of snuck up on me-

I wish I had talked to you more, ginger-

I'll miss you-

I agree with you George....I mentioned this to Thusie today in a message that her death has left a big void in the community and has effected those who never met her, including myself, much more than one would imagine. She was just such a larger-than-life personality and that personality came across in her posts. She will be greatly missed.
  • Options
    maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    :cry

OH NO!!! I just noticed this on the banner. My, her comments and open mindedness to anything made her insight just that little bit special.

I do belive I even sold her a lens many moons ago too...

It looks like she lived life to the full. A cool cool woman indeed.

I'm also touched by the outpouring here too. What acool bunch you/we all are eh?

Andrew
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• Options
    Sara-Ginger's SpawnSara-Ginger's Spawn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2007
    An incredible legacy
    Wow. I would say that I am at a loss for words but, hey, I am Ginger's daughter. While my heart and my head are still so thick with grief that it is hard to find the words I want to use this night, I have to take the time to say how very moved and touched and thankful we all are in Ginger's family to find such a legacy on this site. To read all of your posts brings a profound respect for the woman we knew who hiked the Charleston trails and then sat on her computer all night and then all day. All that time she was cementing connections with a group of people who are kind, honest and just plain amazing. Thank you so much for being her friends. Thank you for loving her strong, eccentric mind. Thank you for being there for her and loving her. And thank you for creating and maintaining a site where I can go and where I can bring my children to visit mom/Grandma Ginger whenever we want. There are so many stories behind the pictures and I imagine my mom has told some whoppers. Let me tell you a little about the white peacock picture. I wanted to "help" her out (and you can imagine how well she accepted that...but she was tolerant with me) and so I got behind the peacock to try to get it more into the sun for her. She was lying on the ground and I was shooing it and it would turn towards me and mom would yell, "Now all I can see is it's @##!" We were in a children's petting zoo! There is another recent picture of my daughter playing in the surf that she may have posted on here and I remember trying to get mom to stand up because she was sitting on the surfline and the water ended up coming up on her. She was getting all wet (and she was in jeans and tennis shoes) and people were looking at her. But I knew, I just knew, that once mom got in that "I"m getting the shot" mode, well, she wasn't aware of anything else. And while I admit to being a bit embarrassed then...I am filled with a tremendous amount of admiration now for the strong, wonderful woman I call mom who DID make her own rules. I am so proud of her. I ache for her. I love her. I miss her. And I thank you for doing the same. Sara McCarthy...the daughter who just moved to Columbia
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    And while I admit to being a bit embarrassed then...I am filled with a tremendous amount of admiration now for the strong, wonderful woman I call mom who DID make her own rules. I am so proud of her. I ache for her. I love her. I miss her.

Wonderful post. Thank you. Isn't it funny how those things that always really annoyed us about our parents, or that we really resented about them end up being those things that we love and admire them for later in life?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Sara-Ginger's SpawnSara-Ginger's Spawn Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2007
    Ginger wasn't completely deaf
    My mom was not completely deaf...just very hard of hearing. And thank God she didn't lose her hearing completely because she absolutely refused to have anything to do with sign language. I always thought it was because she needed both hands to hold the camera. And we all know she had a camera in her hands most of the time!
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Despite not knowing her in person, one thing I always remember about Ginger is her being a piece of work! She had this insanely cool aura about herself... I clearly remember thinking to myself I wanted to be somewhat like her when I grow older.

I also remember her photography always felt like it was growing better and better. Despite being someone who never positioned herself as a great photographer, never thought too highly of herself, who accepted help and opinions from everyone as well as any receptive beginner, she always made me feel quite humbled when I looked at her photos. They had every bit of soul and uniqueness as her.

She was a rock star!

So here I was, wishing the Ginger Jones mentioned on the DGrin banner was not *the* Ginger... but oh well... I guess the world lost quite a bit of its personality...

My deepest condolences to Bill and her family and her dogs.
    Deeply moved,

-- thiago
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I agree with you George....I mentioned this to Thusie today in a message that her death has left a big void in the community and has effected those who never met her, including myself, much more than one would imagine. She was just such a larger-than-life personality and that personality came across in her posts. She will be greatly missed.

I've been trying to put words to this very feeling since I first saw the announcement, but couldn't for the life of me come up with ones as clean and clear as you did saurora. DGrin just won't quite be the same without Ginger; it changes, sometimes subtly -- sometimes not, every time some joins or parts. We'll be looking for ya on the flip side G... off in a swamp with a dog and a camera and a smile... and will meet up to share images over some sweet tea.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I can't begin to explain how sad this news is. Though I'm not a super active member, Ginger was there from the very beginning with welcoming comments and enthusiasm. Her spirit lent alot to the welcoming and inclusive atmosphere that makes dgrin what it is. Every time I would read one of her comments or view her lovely images, I would feel a special connection to her and her inherent kind prescence.

My heart goes out to her family. I'm so saddened by this news.
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    fc1piercefc1pierce Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    One of my Favorites
    This is a photo my mother took approximately 32 years ago. To me it is one of my life's greatest photos and show the promise of her pictures before the days of color (it used to be cheaper to print black and white photos). They also had no photoshop so it was the skill of the eye, knowledge of camera and the deft use of chemicals in the dark room. Thanks Mom.

19613952-M.jpg
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I just saw the In Memoriam and I am shocked. I like others here have said, I felt I knew her from her posts and images here on Dgrin. I saw her photography develop, along with her photoshop skills. She and a handful of others to me will always be the "heart" of the dgrin community. She was a student and a teacher, because once she learned something here, soon after she was answering a question of a new dgriner who was in need of help.

When I initially joined dgrin I came across her posts often, probably because of many fewer dgriners than now. In the last year or so, I saw fewer mainly due to my lack of time. I am not sure if I can bring myself to search and read her posts now knowing she can't answer.:cry I will miss her and her low country photos.

Maybe next year in May we could have a dgrin meetup in Charleston to honor Ginger.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I just saw the In Memoriam and I am shocked.

I am shocked too... Just saw it... How sad but also nice that we can feel a loss for a person we never met in person...
    I only met Ginger on the board, and in some personal emails.
    She was a good woman!
    I appreciate the fact that she can live on via smugmug, even if she is not with us...
    Thanks smugmug and Dgrin for that opportunity.

A sad Photocat
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Maybe next year in May we could have a dgrin meetup in Charleston to honor Ginger.

Ginger was preparing a one woman show in Mt Pleasant in scheduled to open July 7th. She selected the images for the show and ordered prints from smugmug.

This show is going on! The best meetup to honor Ginger would be at the show opening. Details to come.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    Just to help put Sara's post in context. This is from Ginger's Daily Photo Galleries:

145248556-M-1.jpg
    Making Friends
    in snapshot mode.

ginger, trying to participate while on "sick leave" (pneumonia).
    I think I could take a photo, or several, at least from the car window.
    But I can't work them up at my working computer. My brain just doesn't want to think that hard.

But we are hopeful. I hope you don't mind if I post every once in a while. These have all been taken the week before my body said it was through.

My daughter, Sara. I swear she had no complaints about this photo and said she liked it!!

ginger

Wow. I would say that I am at a loss for words but, hey, I am Ginger's daughter. While my heart and my head are still so thick with grief that it is hard to find the words I want to use this night, I have to take the time to say how very moved and touched and thankful we all are in Ginger's family to find such a legacy on this site. To read all of your posts brings a profound respect for the woman we knew who hiked the Charleston trails and then sat on her computer all night and then all day. All that time she was cementing connections with a group of people who are kind, honest and just plain amazing. Thank you so much for being her friends. Thank you for loving her strong, eccentric mind. Thank you for being there for her and loving her. And thank you for creating and maintaining a site where I can go and where I can bring my children to visit mom/Grandma Ginger whenever we want. There are so many stories behind the pictures and I imagine my mom has told some whoppers. Let me tell you a little about the white peacock picture. I wanted to "help" her out (and you can imagine how well she accepted that...but she was tolerant with me) and so I got behind the peacock to try to get it more into the sun for her. She was lying on the ground and I was shooing it and it would turn towards me and mom would yell, "Now all I can see is it's @##!" We were in a children's petting zoo! There is another recent picture of my daughter playing in the surf that she may have posted on here and I remember trying to get mom to stand up because she was sitting on the surfline and the water ended up coming up on her. She was getting all wet (and she was in jeans and tennis shoes) and people were looking at her. But I knew, I just knew, that once mom got in that "I"m getting the shot" mode, well, she wasn't aware of anything else. And while I admit to being a bit embarrassed then...I am filled with a tremendous amount of admiration now for the strong, wonderful woman I call mom who DID make her own rules. I am so proud of her. I ache for her. I love her. I miss her. And I thank you for doing the same. Sara McCarthy...the daughter who just moved to Columbia
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    Rutt,

What a perfect idea! Met at her show. Thanks for posting the photo of Sara and Sara thank you for sharing about that visit.

Ginger was so excited that Sara was coming to visit, she planned and double planned of things to do, worried and fussed as only she can. She had such a grand time that day, called it 'perfect'.

Scott what a great photo, thanks for posting, it is good to see you and Sara here.