Options

Get ready to sell stock photos

Comments

• Options
    ItsmeItsme Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Rights managed stock photo sales-WHEN ? :-) Hurry!
    clap.gif I am soooooo looking forward to selling rights managed images here. I am with another service and anxious to move out wings.gif

Any time estimate of when this will be a reality ?
    I only have about 3000 images I can sell for licensed Royalty free(NOT MICRO!) but have tens of thousands of commercial stock images from agencies I am with that I'd like to license here. Currently I 've used Fotoquote for my pricing since version 1.0 in the 1990s. Love that program!

Itsme rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Bit of a Tiff
    I expect this has already been addressed but... dont a large portion of image buyers (inc. stock) require images as Tiff?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Alamy is one of the stock agencies I am with(I am with over 10) and they do not require tiffs though they did in the beginning when I started with them in 2002.
    I also license my own images from my site and have 2 sales people and have only once been asked for a tif and that was a cover of a major consumer mag..I rec'd $3600.00 USD for the cover so they can have any size tif they would like!

I am only with one agency that wants tifs..Then again,they are somewhat new in the biz and I or other photogs I know of have not made any sales with them.

I have had over 4,000 images published(price range $75-$5000.00 USD) in the past 7 years alone and again,only ONE tif request.

Itsme
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Itsme wrote:
    I have had over 4,000 images published(price range $75-$5000.00 USD) in the past 7 years alone and again,only ONE tif request.

Itsme

WOW! well that clears up that misconception:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    OF interest?
    keepin tabs on what others are doon...or not doon..rolleyes1.gif
    http://www.epuk.org/Blogs/584/zooomr

and here;
    If Flickr can’t protect their star assets they may as well pack up any dreams of becoming a stock agency.
    from here:
    http://www.epuk.org/Blogs/569/the-web-giveth-the-web-stealeth-away
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    I copyright my images in bulk on a timely basis therefore I can collect up to $150,000 per infringment plus legal costs.

Over the past 6 years I have collected over $244,000 (net!)from many online idiots that think they can steal my photos and post them on blogs or resell them.

I would never post my images unwatermarked,without credit or any site like Flickr...Everyone I have met considers Flickr a free for all take and use however they wish site to steal the images,profit and resell...screwing the photographer...

My images are my livlihhod and my future retirement. I've done millions of dollars in licening since I started a zillion years ago so protecting its value is priority.

BTW-Is there a way to make preview images smaller than 4x6 ?:D

Itsme
  • Options
    SBPSBP Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    professsional name needed for stock site
    I already wrote some infor about where to get copyright and usage infor. I hope people did read it. I'd hate to see people start selling cheap images. maybe giving information on the going pro prices as well on the site with a cost of doing business calculator. mark loundry has some good advice as does NPPA and even editorial photographers.org

I also second giving the pro section for stock a more professional name than smugmug.
    I've been trying to change mine on here but still haven't managed to get the html stuff to work for me. I've had pairs of eyebrows raise and some giggles when I give my new site name. http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com It sounds so, well so homey and cute just right for the homemaker.
    Gessshe I wish I could make that change.
    http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    SBP wrote:
    I already wrote some infor about where to get copyright and usage infor. I hope people did read it. I'd hate to see people start selling cheap images. maybe giving information on the going pro prices as well on the site with a cost of doing business calculator. mark loundry has some good advice as does NPPA and even editorial photographers.org

I also second giving the pro section for stock a more professional name than smugmug.
    I've been trying to change mine on here but still haven't managed to get the html stuff to work for me. I've had pairs of eyebrows raise and some giggles when I give my new site name. http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com It sounds so, well so homey and cute just right for the homemaker.
    Gessshe I wish I could make that change.
    http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com

what is this code near the bottom of your site?;;

slideshowUrl = "http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com/gallery/2829976"; example - source in red http://sherrlyn.smugmug.com/gallery/2829976

TO make your address look better or more pro annd not so homey or comically why haven't you purchasewd an actual dot com name:

SherrlynBorkgrenPhotography.com .....sure looks a lot more professional than your current addy and if it is available it would only be like 6.95/yr from godaddy...personally I did not like my name attached to smugmug as a domain name...but that is just me.....I do prefer to type a www.name.com rather than www. name.smugmug.com....but again that is just me.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Itsme wrote:

Itsme

Where can we puruse your stock work?
    I am sure it would be of great inspiration to a lot of us.

Kudos for being able to collect damages from photo thievery.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Where can we puruse your stock work?
    I am sure it would be of great inspiration to a lot of us.

Kudos for being able to collect damages from photo thievery.

Ahhh..I will not *out* myself. That is a guaranteed way for my income to drop in the toilet! I've been in this business close to 30 years and have a staff of 4 full time. We spend considerable time and big money researching and marketing.Thru my years of experience,let your competiion know your stuff and in no time you have to turn your world upside down to get them off your trail and then re-create yourself(your work). You work your buns off on for others to come and undercut you for the equivalent of beer money..
    I work under a few different names so locally where I am at,other photographers can't look me up to se what I am doing..When I use to do interviews, I'd have tons of copycats on my tail and it wasn't worth it...

I am with many agencies I also have a rep and 2 sales people full time just to market my huge archives.

I will be the first to admit-I am not the greatest photographer in the world...But technically I know my stuff,My quality is great, I know my markets as well as the HUGE amounts of connections in my biz and will go out of my way to make my customers happy. I also charge more than others for all of this too. For my corporate clients and smaller scale ones. We're very service oriented and very 'upscale.' I don't believe in $5 images and would not even waste my time..
    We are the onces locally that get the emergency calls sometimes that they hired a cheap photographer and none of the images were able to be used or even salvaged...

BTW-Last year we had someone come by to show their portfolio..I thought it odd there were no prints--just a CD slide show that wasn't even very coherent. The guy stole images from Flickr and other agencies that don't watermark and presented them as *his own* ! A few were also scanned from magazines too.

I knew this by chance...One of the photos was a glamour shot that I saw at a photographers seminar that he took! Another shot was one I saw in a magazine and liked so much I tore it from the mag and had it on my refrigerator!

It'sme!

PS-Copyright images on a timely basis.I do every 2-4 weeks in bulk and
    network with other upper end photographers for advice on who they would use for an attorney..BUT,lawsuits are very expensive...So,best to connect w/a good lawyer to get a really really awesome cease and desist and collection form letter. wings.gif
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Itsme wrote:
    Ahhh..I will not *out* myself. That is a guaranteed way for my income to drop in the toilet! I've been in this business close to 30 years and have a staff of 4 full time. We spend considerable time and big money researching and marketing.Thru my years of experience,let your competiion know your stuff and in no time you have to turn your world upside down to get them off your trail and then re-create yourself(your work). You work your buns off on for others to come and undercut you for the equivalent of beer money..
    I work under a few different names so locally where I am at,other photographers can't look me up to se what I am doing..When I use to do interviews, I'd have tons of copycats on my tail and it wasn't worth it...

I am with many agencies I also have a rep and 2 sales people full time just to market my huge archives.

I will be the first to admit-I am not the greatest photographer in the world...But technically I know my stuff,My quality is great, I know my markets as well as the HUGE amounts of connections in my biz and will go out of my way to make my customers happy. I also charge more than others for all of this too. For my corporate clients and smaller scale ones. We're very service oriented and very 'upscale.' I don't believe in $5 images and would not even waste my time..
    We are the onces locally that get the emergency calls sometimes that they hired a cheap photographer and none of the images were able to be used or even salvaged...

BTW-Last year we had someone come by to show their portfolio..I thought it odd there were no prints--just a CD slide show that wasn't even very coherent. The guy stole images from Flickr and other agencies that don't watermark and presented them as *his own* ! A few were also scanned from magazines too.

I knew this by chance...One of the photos was a glamour shot that I saw at a photographers seminar that he took! Another shot was one I saw in a magazine and liked so much I tore it from the mag and had it on my refrigerator!

It'sme!

PS-Copyright images on a timely basis.I do every 2-4 weeks in bulk and
    network with other upper end photographers for advice on who they would use for an attorney..BUT,lawsuits are very expensive...So,best to connect w/a good lawyer to get a really really awesome cease and desist and collection form letter. wings.gif
    Hello itsme,
    Your response is very interesting, what facsinates me is this - what do you feel Smugmug has to offer that you are not already getting elsewhere ?
    Is it the unlimited storage facility ? somewhere else simply to 'park' your images safely at a very low cost ? (I don't mean to sound cynical :) - it would make good business sense)
    Or are there other aspects of Smugmug that really will enable you to generater more sales ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Itsme wrote:
    PS-Copyright images on a timely basis.I do every 2-4 weeks in bulk

can you explain what you mean by 'copyright images'?

I thought all images were automatically copyright of the photographer???
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    can you explain what you mean by 'copyright images'?

I thought all images were automatically copyright of the photographer???

He/She mwink.gif is talking about sending the images to the copyright office so that they are registered with them... in case there is a violation you are covered and you can get more money for damages. thumb.gif
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    He/She mwink.gif is talking about sending the images to the copyright office so that they are registered with them... in case there is a violation you are covered and you can get more money for damages. thumb.gif

There's a copyright office? Oh OKne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    There's a copyright office? Oh OKne_nau.gif
    Hi Simon,
    Take a look here
    http://www.epuk.org/ABCD-of-Copyright/173/introduction
    I posted earlier in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=59311
    Subjects are kind of overlapping :)

There is no UK copyright office, this doesn't apply to the UKmwink.gif

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Hi Simon,
    Take a look here
    http://www.epuk.org/ABCD-of-Copyright/173/introduction
    I posted earlier in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=59311
    Subjects are kind of overlapping :)

There is no UK copyright office, this doesn't apply to the UKmwink.gif

Caroline

Thanks for the link Caroline:-)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    This bit seems pretty relevant to the stock images question:

"Licensing reproduction rights

When a licence is granted, the following types of question should be asked in order to provide a basis for calculating the fee:

Who exactly is requesting the licence?
    How will the photograph be reproduced or shown and at what size will it appear?
    For what purpose will the work be reproduced?
    Over what time period will the work be available?
    What is the print run?
    In what territories will the work be available?
    How many editions or impressions are intended?
    Will the author of the work be identified?
    Does the client require an exclusivity clause?
    Will the work be used to advertise the final product?
    Will the work be stored electronically?
    Will the work be masked or adapted in any way?
    How to protect your work

Under UK law, there is no requirement to take any formal steps (such as depositing a copy or registering anywhere) to establish copyright. It is important though to take certain precautions in order to inform other people of the legal position and it is essential to assert, in writing, the moral right to a credit where applicable.

To help protect work, every photographic print, transparency mount and negative bag (assuming an obligation to supply negatives, which should be resisted if at all possible), should carry the Universal Copyright Convention symbol; © followed by the name of the copyright owner. The wording Copyright, or its official American legal abbreviation `Copr’, may also be helpful, especially if it is intended to operate in North America or the Russian Federation. Strictly, a date should be included if operating in a territory which applies the Universal Copyright Convention rules but is not essential elsewhere. The same principles apply to electronic or digital versions. A reliable, permanent telephone or fax number or e- mail address should ensure that the photographer can be contacted, material returned and payments made.

Adding `credit required’ or similar words will often in practice result in a credit even if it does not amount to a formal assertion of the moral right to be identified.

To prevent confusion, a brief caption is vital. Work submitted to picture libraries and agencies requires a fuller caption which can be provided separately. There is a limit to what can be written on a transparency mount but there should be enough to identify both the image and its orientation, if this is likely to be ambiguous. Whatever is written should always be legible."
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2007
    I've used the program Fotoquote since 1994 or so and that is what Photoshelter also has online for potential customers to use for license pricing.

I can use it on my Photoshelter site but I also have the paid version which also includes Fotobiz which no photographer shold be without.

Perhaps SMUGMUG can work out a licensing agreement with them to use on the site. No point in recreating the wheel ?

ItsMe :-)

Simon King wrote:
    This bit seems pretty relevant to the stock images question:

"Licensing reproduction rights

When a licence is granted, the following types of question should be asked in order to provide a basis for calculating the fee:

Who exactly is requesting the licence?
    How will the photograph be reproduced or shown and at what size will it appear?
    For what purpose will the work be reproduced?
    Over what time period will the work be available?
    What is the print run?
    In what territories will the work be available?
    How many editions or impressions are intended?
    Will the author of the work be identified?
    Does the client require an exclusivity clause?
    Will the work be used to advertise the final product?
    Will the work be stored electronically?
    Will the work be masked or adapted in any way?
    How to protect your work

Under UK law, there is no requirement to take any formal steps (such as depositing a copy or registering anywhere) to establish copyright. It is important though to take certain precautions in order to inform other people of the legal position and it is essential to assert, in writing, the moral right to a credit where applicable.

To help protect work, every photographic print, transparency mount and negative bag (assuming an obligation to supply negatives, which should be resisted if at all possible), should carry the Universal Copyright Convention symbol; © followed by the name of the copyright owner. The wording Copyright, or its official American legal abbreviation `Copr’, may also be helpful, especially if it is intended to operate in North America or the Russian Federation. Strictly, a date should be included if operating in a territory which applies the Universal Copyright Convention rules but is not essential elsewhere. The same principles apply to electronic or digital versions. A reliable, permanent telephone or fax number or e- mail address should ensure that the photographer can be contacted, material returned and payments made.

Adding `credit required’ or similar words will often in practice result in a credit even if it does not amount to a formal assertion of the moral right to be identified.

To prevent confusion, a brief caption is vital. Work submitted to picture libraries and agencies requires a fuller caption which can be provided separately. There is a limit to what can be written on a transparency mount but there should be enough to identify both the image and its orientation, if this is likely to be ambiguous. Whatever is written should always be legible."
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2007
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2007
    Investing in the Stock Market...
    Been a bit out of the loop recently, but came back to find SM going into the 'Stock Market'!! ;-) I like the idea and agree with a lot of the comments. Have I missed the Launch Date?

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    Dick TompkinsDick Tompkins Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2007
    Any news on stock photo service???
    I haven't heard anything since May about the stock photo service. Any news?headscratch.gif

Dick
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I haven't heard anything since May about the stock photo service. Any news?headscratch.gif

Dick
    Not yet. When there is, it'll surely be posted here thumb.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    wacommewacomme Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I'm not sure I see the value of the "popular" photos if its dependent only on the photographer's networking skills within smugmug. I could list several world class photographers who currently use Smugmug but never show up on the popular photos because they are too busy capturing great images. I assume the "popular photo ranking system" is a method to quickly put some quality images on the front page but I wonder if there might be a better method for ensuring a good showcase upfront on your stock portal. For instance, thinking off the top of my head, photographers could submit images anonymously to a stock ranking system through dgrin where members could vote. This would retain the community aspects of Smugmug while perhaps providing a more representative outcome of relative quality. Clear as mud? ;-)

I completely agree.
    Michael Chamberlin
    Michael Chamberlin Photography
    www.chamberlinphoto.com
    michael@chamberlinphoto.com

• Options
    wacommewacomme Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    Itsme wrote:
    I've used the program Fotoquote since 1994 or so and that is what Photoshelter also has online for potential customers to use for license pricing.

I can use it on my Photoshelter site but I also have the paid version which also includes Fotobiz which no photographer shold be without.

Perhaps SMUGMUG can work out a licensing agreement with them to use on the site. No point in recreating the wheel ?

ItsMe :-)

Yes. I licensing agreement with FotoQuote would be a huge boost for Smugmug!
    Michael Chamberlin
    Michael Chamberlin Photography
    www.chamberlinphoto.com
    michael@chamberlinphoto.com

• Options
    Paul (France)Paul (France) Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    Yes, exactly. And you'll already have a "search engine" that will search only your photos that are offered for stock purchase.

(Your photos will also be in the global stock search engine, too, but you'll have your own interface to do as you like).

Hi Don,

I wonder if you saw my thoughts about the fact that Smugmug recently started limiting the number of keywords in another thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=580478&postcount=33

The limit of 15 keywords makes the stock idea senseless. Selling stock will only work if you can keyword your images properly, which means more then 15 keywords if you need more.

I'm curious about your thoughts about this.

Paul
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    I've been out of the loop recently. I saw this thread awhile back though. Anyway, I think it's a great idea. I've toyed with the idea of selling "stock" photos after I had several requests for photos of mine - by people directly contacting me saying they couldn't find what they were looking for until they saw my photo(s). Certain types. Anyway, I tried out a few stock agencies and some have VERY strict requirements before they'll let you submit photos. I understand that - they don't want garbage. And they don't like to have too many of one "type" of photo so that limits me as well. I'm not a pro so I don't have time to go out and come up with lots of different scenarios and subjects to meet THEIR needs. I think I have something worth selling as it is. So, being able to simple enable my galleries for sale here would be perfect :)

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but are there any guidelines or requirements with regards to model releases if people's faces appears in a photo? What about photos of certain public places that might possibly be problematic?...like say for example, the Sears Tower?...would it be acceptable to sell photos I took of that or would the Sears Tower police come looking for me?...Laughing.gif Remember the phone police on WKRP in Cincinnati?...Johnny Fever? :)

P.S. So will the stock photo sales be "royalty free"? Sort of like other sites like Fotolia where you can sell the same photo over and over for a small fee (or whatever fee you set)?
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2007
    Anyone?....:D

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but are there any guidelines or requirements with regards to model releases if people's faces appears in a photo? What about photos of certain public places that might possibly be problematic?...like say for example, the Sears Tower?...would it be acceptable to sell photos I took of that or would the Sears Tower police come looking for me?...Laughing.gif Remember the phone police on WKRP in Cincinnati?...Johnny Fever? :)

P.S. So will the stock photo sales be "royalty free"? Sort of like other sites like Fotolia where you can sell the same photo over and over for a small fee (or whatever fee you set)?
  • Options
    JoeNietersJoeNieters Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2007
    Yes, this has been discussed already in this thread, but...
    kygarden wrote:
    Anyone?....:D

For a good explanation of the subject of "releases", I recommend checking out Dan Heller's website. Good info there .
  • Options
    gordoncgordonc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Progress?
    JoeNieters wrote:
    For a good explanation of the subject of "releases", I recommend checking out Dan Heller's website. Good info there .

Just noticed this thread myself and am curious if/when this will come to pass. Also, as it applies here to Smugmug, I often search my galleries & keywords without result...any suggestions? I did join the "Nature" community - are you able to join others too or just one? Thanks, Gordon.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Soooo. Almost September, any word on the progress of this fantastic idea?
    Cheers,
    Monte