Options

Get ready to sell stock photos

Comments

• Options
    ItsmeItsme Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2007
    I am anxiously awaiting this as well. Anyone ? Update ? Appx time frame ?clap.gif

itsme :-)
  • Options
    firelook2firelook2 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Great idea!!!
    Great idea about the stock photos - that would be a real boost, especially to those of us who shoot a lot of stock images. Although I already shoot stock for a couple other companies, this will enable me to sell images from my web galleries, too.

Thanks and the folks at DigitalGrin are the best!!

Marcy
    Firelook2

gear: NIkon D200, Nikon F100, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-300 f4-5.6; Sigma 15-30D f3.5-4.5; Micro-Nikkor 105mm f.2.8; 50mm macro f2.8
  • Options
    D HollidayD Holliday Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2007
    this thread looks dead
    Any info on the Stock Photo section???
    We would like anything you can offer, ???
    Thanks,
    firelook2 wrote:
    Great idea about the stock photos - that would be a real boost, especially to those of us who shoot a lot of stock images. Although I already shoot stock for a couple other companies, this will enable me to sell images from my web galleries, too.

Thanks and the folks at DigitalGrin are the best!!

Marcy
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    D Holliday wrote:
    Any info on the Stock Photo section???
    We would like anything you can offer, ???
    Thanks,
    Hi, it's not dead :D

We're working on it - we've taken all this incredibly valuable feedback and we're still in development.

Thanks!
  • Options
    georgemangeorgeman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2007
    Stock Photos.
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if the stock photo site is up and running yet, and how do I participate.

Thanks
    George
  • Options
    Daniel of MAUIPHOTOGRAPHSDaniel of MAUIPHOTOGRAPHS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2007
    Aloha from Maui and let's go STOCK PHOTOS!!
    Aloha, My first time here so I hope I don't make a fool of myself. It's been six months since I first read about SmugMug going into the Stock Photo business for "Pros". I am currently selling my tropical photos in shops and created my own tropical greeting card line "Kihei Kards" here on Maui. This has been fun and creative but very time consuming. Sales are good but give me some company that will do the work for me and pay me a decent price and I'm ready to go. Sign me up SmugMug. If there are certain pictures that a photographer feels could sell for $beaucoup bucks$ then hold off on them and don't put them up for sale on SmugMug. Sell them on a different basis to who would love them.

I know that I am speaking to the most talented photographers out there in SmugMug Land but given the opportunity of making money off your creative image or just keeping it on a CD for years, (with a million other photographers selling their images as I write this), I say present you images. If you do not like the price then just say "NO THANK-YOU" to SmugMug for the offer.

Well, this is my first 'thread' or whatever and I hope I didn't make a fool of myself or point fingers at anyone.

Mahalo,
    Daniel of Mauiphotographs.com
  • Options
    Daniel of MAUIPHOTOGRAPHSDaniel of MAUIPHOTOGRAPHS Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2007
    opps, too large a font
    I just reviewed the size of the font used in the past several hundred messages. I am sorry that my message had TOO LARGE of a text font. But I hope you read my message, anyway. I'm just the kind of guy that loves difference.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2007
    $0.26 per image? OUCH... Will SM do better?
    Hi All, and I guess mostly Andy who seems to be taking care of this topic while SM still irons out the wrinkles in this massive endeavor...

I'm VERY VERY interested in selling stock imagery! Iroinically though since I'm SOOO busy right now with weddings and other photography, I haven't had time to set up any "digital download" prices, let alone structure my (nature) photo galleries towards an actual stock image hunter...

However I'm REALLY hoping I can get my small but good nature collection in on the whole "debut" that SM has described, with some sort of seamless transition and having a bunch of "estabilished pros" with popularity "pioneer the way" in the very beginning. But again like I said, I haven't had the time yet to properly keyword or organize my collection, let alone network and promote...

ALSO, and far be it from me to say this, (meaning, please be honest and cut me down if i'm wrong) ...but I think my images are worth more than the $0.26 or so that "microstock" agencies pay...

http://matthewsaville.smugmug.com/Nature%20Photography

My questions are, IF these are questions that can be answered, should I make this an urgent priority to complete in the next couple weeks? How important or beneficial would it be to be a PART of the "launch"?

Also, can I expect ANY sort of average price estimate, or can I expect to be able to get a minimum amount (certainly MUCH more than $0.26 per sale) for my work? I hear glory stories on DPR etc. of images licensing for $150-$300 a pop. That's the kind of money I'd like to see, if I'm going to put a lot of hard work into setting everything up and monitoring my image quality, not to mention pursue the capture of more images...

Because to be honest, while my wedding photography and children's theater have skyrocketed, I have to admit that I haven't sold a nature print in ages, and my galleries are just sitting there, cast aside without my attention for quite a while...

I'm not going to bother, if every other Smugmug user is going to price their images at $5- a pop, making it impossible for me to charge $50+ and that's the bottom line.

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    I wonder how quality in the portfolio will be managed.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:

people don't buy dreadful pics ( oh hang on a minute - they do!)rolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2007
    ^^ Exactly.

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2007
    Stock Photography at Smugmug
    S. Horton wrote:

I currently sell photos to national horse magazines on a regular basis. A stock photography section on Smugmug would be wonderful! Most magazines who have a specific "niche" i.e. horse magazines, know what type of photo they are looking for. A generic $3.00 photo from a stock photo gallery usually won't do the trick. ne_nau.gif Therefore, I'm all for setting our own pricing and having our own stock galleries available.wings.gif I would want to refer my clients to my gallery exclusively, instead of having them search ad nauseum through thousands of "horse" pictures to find what they are looking for. Here also is where your captions will come in handy. If I'm looking for a shot of a foal, I won't caption my photo "baby horse". Most photo editors will know the proper terminology and are TIRED of searching through stock agencies.
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    ..noticed available links to larger photos...

Announcing TIF support soon?

Lightbox/log-in?

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    S. Horton wrote:
    ..noticed available links to larger photos...

Announcing TIF support soon?

Lightbox/log-in?

ne_nau.gif
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/2843486 click on any image and get ginormous :)
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/2843486 click on any image and get ginormous :)

Outstanding Andy!! Is moving the 'fly out' box to the bottom of the screen a new item as well? I want that too!

ok [shhh] btw you and me.....when is this shipping?
    <br>
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Outstanding Andy!! Is moving the 'fly out' box to the bottom of the screen a new item as well? I want that too!

ok [shhh] btw you and me.....when is this shipping?
    <br>
    Go to the "Start Here" sticky in the customizing forum, there in that thread shows how to move the flyout.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Go to the "Start Here" sticky in the customizing forum, there in that thread shows how to move the flyout.

Sweet thanks Andy!

(link for those still looking: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52107 )
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    I see what you can pick in the checkout on licensing/copies as well, and noticed the unsharp options, plus the fact that you have watermarks on larger images and not the thumbs. thumb.gif

So, when is the lightbox/cost calculator for managed rights coming? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2007
    I have not read the entire thread so if this is repetative than I appologize.

My main concern would be that my files available for download are not automatically added to a stock pile many of my downloadable images contain recognizeable faces without releases theese are not suitable for stock.

There needs to be a quality control process or the idea will not fly
    Prices should be across the board and comparable to others. Individual pricing would be more for the for hire market.

I would be interested if it's up and running before I am eligible for exclusive at istock
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    ^^ Look at how Photoshelter handles that.

It can be done. SM's good, they'll pull it together.

(I'll bet I could find a few SM people, somewhere, who are coding right now to do it)

BTW,
    one 'good' sale, we make four thousand times more than a microstock deal pays.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2007
    No Doubt!
    But what encourages an experienced stock purchaser to pay 4000 times more?
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Quality. ne_nau.gif

Don't get me wrong, microstock isn't going anywhere, just a thought. :D
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:

hey Andy, I notice you've really beefed up your copyright - is this because you know when the release is coming out of the stock thingy and are making sure you're up and running ( i..e making sure no one is going to nick your 'stock' pics??mwink.gifmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    EZRyderEZRyder Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    I don't buy it...
    No pun intended, but as much as I love SmugMug, I have had ONE sale on my site - with plenty of traffic - over the last year. And that one buyer bought a small print for $30, mainly because she saw my work in person at a local establishment. I talked to a gallery owner recently who told me some hard truths - which I have figured out in the last year: "People don't buy art online". Fact is, I, personally, don't buy art online unless I am very familiar with the piece - typically having held it in my hands and/or seen it up close with my own eyes. The other thing he told me: "Everyone's a photographer. At a street fair of some sort, the photographer booths typically are the most popular. Lotos of attention. But they have the worst sales. People just don't want to spend $1,000 on a photograph, as they see it. It'[s the hardest of all the arts to sell.". And that, my friends, is the honest truth.

So... I'm not interested in selling my stuff for $1.00. Most stock photos are "graphic art", really. True, you can make money at it if you have a zillion different things out there, but...

Personally, I was accepted into a local gallery, in a high tourist area. And given possibly the second-best location in the gallery. We'll see how that pans out - and, FYI, the gallery owner wants HALF my sales from my SmugMug site!! Because he says no one buys online without seeing it forst. And I have a hard time arguing against that. Of course, I'll need to be absokutely sure that the buyer DID come from the gallery first, but...

Anyway, I guess I'm a bit jaded at the prospect of making money selling photo's online. I truly wonder if ANYONE here on SmugMug actually sells ANYTHING here. I highly doubt it, unless they have a gallery prescence somewhere. Prove me wrong.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    EZRyder wrote:
    I truly wonder if ANYONE here on SmugMug actually sells ANYTHING here. I highly doubt it, unless they have a gallery prescence somewhere. Prove me wrong.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=74534
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    EZRyder wrote:
    I truly wonder if ANYONE here on SmugMug actually sells ANYTHING here. I highly doubt it, unless they have a gallery presence somewhere. Prove me wrong.
    I did, even though I don't shoot sports. So did many others.
    But in my wildest dreams I never thought of SM as of a place where I would simply upload a picture and the whole world would beg me to enable the print ordering by next morning.
    Take it as it is: unlimited storage, great up-time, order fulfillment, awesome customer service and a very friendly community of fellow photogs around it (I mean dgrin:-).
    But it's up to you to make sure that customers would come to your site and stay there.
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    EZRyder wrote:
    I truly wonder if ANYONE here on SmugMug actually sells ANYTHING here. I highly doubt it, unless they have a gallery prescence somewhere. Prove me wrong.
    Well, we're a private company, and thus we don't share our financials. But I can tell you, we just finished our 5th fiscal year a couple weeks ago. And we had our 5th profitable year in a row. And we paid out enormous sums of money to our SmugMug pros in the form of collected profits (their profits).

Enormous. C'mon in, the water's fine :D
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Any status on this one? I'm close to setting up some stock images on another site but if I can keep it here it would be better...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    hey Andy, I notice you've really beefed up your copyright
    -

Hi Simon, are referring to his watermark or is there something else ?
    I've had a look but can't find anything headscratch.gif

Cheers
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Simon King wrote:
    -

Hi Simon, are referring to his watermark or is there something else ?
    I've had a look but can't find anything headscratch.gif

Cheers
    Caroline

I meant Andy's watermark yes, it used to be just text but he added a 'cross' too

How'd you do that Andy - how about a tutorial....?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..