Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    I like Lara Bars for a quick snack. I'm also planning to give making these guys a try next week.
    I iloveyou.gif Lara bars, especially when out in the field. It's amazing what one can do with some nuts and a few dates. :D

I just tried an experiment tonight for dinner that turned out surprisingly well. I wanted to use up what I had in the fridge, which included fresh butternut squash. I've never cooked squash before (except zucchini) so I thought maybe something sweet and seasonal would work, especially as we had our first snowfall today.

1/4 tsp grapeseed oil
    ~ 2 cups cubed butternut squash
    1 large onion
    3 cloves garlic
    3/4 cup raisins
    ~1.5 C vegetable broth
    ~1.5 tsp cinnamon
    ~0.5 tsp ground ginger
    1-2 palmfuls raw sunflower seeds

Chop the onion up into small pieces and sautee in a heavy pan with the oil. Add the squash and the garlic. When the pan develops nice bowned crust on the bottom, add the vegetable broth (enough volume for sauce but not enough for a soup) to deglaze and add the raisins and spices. Lower the heat to a simmer until it reduces a bit, the squash is tender and you deem it done.

I served this over buckwheat soba noodles because that's what I had, but I also think it'd be great over brown rice. It's sweet and just a little spicy at the same time, which is wonderful this time of year.

I think this dish could go a million different ways. The next time when I have more planning time, I would cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces. I would also use fresh ginger (grated) and cut matchsticks of ginger to use as a feisty garnish. I might also switch out the sunflower seeds for pumpkin seeds, mmmm. And I'd also throw in some nutmeg in the spice mix, even turn up the cinnamon a smidge. Alternatively I suppose you could blend the squash after it cooks, making this into a soup.

I'm gonna play with it a bit more. :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    I'm crazy about clif nectar bars, especially cacao. binge.gif I just now went way overboard on them and gotta go swim 'em off.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    WOW!! Major respect. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I have to say, I feel better now than I ever have in my life, even in my 20s.

Any idea what's happened to your blood chemistry?

OK, so I promised Baldy that I would report back on my blood chemistry. :D

It's a mixed bag, but then again, I'm a mixed bag! I've been really diligent about the diet, maintaining a very strict ETL regimen. BUT: I work 9 hours minimum a day, have a 1+ hour commute each way, leaving very little time for exercise. On top of that, I'm not a lover of exercise. It's work. So, I don't get much, and that's my big problem.

Anyway, here goes:

I started this journey on July 21, and I weighed 210. To date, I've gotten down to 173-174. :D

Before:
    Total Chol. 216 (high, should be lower)
    HDL 38 (low, should be higher)
    LDL 144 (high, should be lower)
    Triglycerides 169(high, should be lower)
    Risk Factor 5.7 Not good, should be under 5, at least, if not more!

After:
    Total Chol. 166!!! :D
    HDL 31 (it went down even more! that's not good...must exercise)
    LDL 99!!!!:D
    Triglycerides 180 (it went up! eek7.gif )
    Risk Factor 5.35, that's better!

So, while I improved, overall the improvement isn't really what I would have hoped. Mostly I hoped so that I wouldn't have to get off my butt (it ain't fat anymore!) and exercise. But I'll have to. The Doc also recommended Niacin. We'll see, and I'll report back later. (If y'all are still interested)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't understand why Fuhrman includes TVP in some of his recipes. Talk about highly processed. ne_nau.gif

Same for Boca Burgers. You're better off without them! thumb.gif
    WRITTEN BY: DAVE
    ON FEBRUARY 14, 2006 2:08 PM
    In reference to the chili recipe...I learned at Vegetarian SummerFest (in Pennsylvania) last year that TVP is something to be avoided as it's such a highly processed food. Anyone know more about soy protein isolates? Apparently the process to isolate the soy protein requires a lot of harsh chemicals.

WRITTEN BY: JOEL FUHRMAN
    ON FEBRUARY 21, 2006 8:51 AM
    I agree that TVP is a processed food that should be avoided. Isolated soy protein is not something I want to encourage in a person's diet. I did put some in some of my soup recipes a few years ago and used some in my home in the past and now I no longer do so.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention again.

Joel Fuhrman
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    WRITTEN BY: DAVE
    ON FEBRUARY 14, 2006 2:08 PM
    In reference to the chili recipe...I learned at Vegetarian SummerFest (in Pennsylvania) last year that TVP is something to be avoided as it's such a highly processed food. Anyone know more about soy protein isolates? Apparently the process to isolate the soy protein requires a lot of harsh chemicals.

WRITTEN BY: JOEL FUHRMAN
    ON FEBRUARY 21, 2006 8:51 AM
    I agree that TVP is a processed food that should be avoided. Isolated soy protein is not something I want to encourage in a person's diet. I did put some in some of my soup recipes a few years ago and used some in my home in the past and now I no longer do so.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention again.

Joel Fuhrman

Good to know! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Carrots and Hummus for me. iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    You get the crunchy and the smooth, and then the sweetness of the carrot goes really well with the hummus. I just snack on that all evening, sometimes eating enough of it to skip dinner (probably not the best idea).
    I'm getting addicted to Hummus. I took some Tomato & Basil Hummus to work with me today, spread it in a whole wheat pita, sprinkled with pine nuts, filled with spring greens and baby carrots for extra crunch. It was pretty good. Could have used some onion or red pepper I think. The Hummus is very filling and satisfying. thumb.gif
    Baldy wrote:
    I'm crazy about clif nectar bars, especially cacao. I just now went way overboard on them and gotta go swim 'em off.
    I can so relate. I have to be careful buying anything that resembles a cookie. :uhoh But I will definitely give the suggested bars a try in limited quantities! Bethy, your recipe looks very good and easy. I'll give the Lara bars a try first since both you & Schmoo recommend them.

Tonight I found myself 'searching' again for something to settle down with. I agree Stirfry that evenings are tough. So while perusing my cabinets I ran across some Chamomile tea. I'm not a big tea drinker, but made some anyway. I forgot how sweet and soothing it can be. Had a very few pieces of Oat bran cereal to go with it. Did the trick. Thanks for all of your ideas. I know I have to vary my diet or I will get bored and then restless...:D I still need to finish the Eat to Live book, but having trouble sticking with it. I also bought several cookbooks at Christmas time to experiment with.

DavidTo, I'll also try the Bumble Bars....congrats on the new and improved you!!!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    So, while I improved, overall the improvement isn't really what I would have hoped. Mostly I hoped so that I wouldn't have to get off my butt (it ain't fat anymore!) and exercise. But I'll have to. The Doc also recommended Niacin. We'll see, and I'll report back later. (If y'all are still interested)

wings.gifivarclap.gif

I still think that's great news! Is stress a contributor to "risk factor" as well?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

After:
    Total Chol. 166!!! :D
    HDL 31 (it went down even more! that's not good...must exercise)
    LDL 99!!!!:D
    Triglycerides 180 (it went up! eek7.gif )
    Risk Factor 5.35, that's better!
    Great progress! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Thanks for the numbers!

The only thing that's a surprise to me is the triglycerides, but no one aces the numbers the first time through. It's an iterative process that takes time and you're off to an amazing start.

I'll have more to say about triglycerides later but I gotta run.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Before I run, on the topic of isolated soy protein, this is very sobering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHYFOJBU434
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

We (you and I) have talked about this before. A while ago, when I was still eating lots of meat, and wasn't as educated as before, and I was talking about The Whole Soy Story, although I was really sketchy on the details at the time.

Are you modifying your soy intake? Or just the isolated, processed kind?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Well put me in a laboratory cage & poke me with a stick then. I eat a 9 lb tub of powdered soy protein isolate every 2 or 3 months binge.gif

Whats the worry here ? Is this how you guys would normally get your protein & its now considered bad for you as on the video ?
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Well put me in a laboratory cage & poke me with a stick then. I eat a 9 lb tub of powdered soy protein isolate every 2 or 3 months binge.gif

Whats the worry here ? Is this how you guys would normally get your protein & its now considered bad for you as on the video ?

For me, since changing my diet, I have not relied on soy at all, in fact I have very little soy of any kind, since I don't tolerate it well. My protein comes from vegetables and nuts and seeds only.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mHYFOJBU434&rel=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
    Ugh baldy, thanks for finding that.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    gus wrote:

Nah, I don't rely on isolated soy protein to get my protein - there is plenty of protein in veggies, nuts, and seeds to meet my daily requirements - I just like how it tastes in recipes. The worry for me is that it is a cancer promoter. If I wanted to eat cancer promoting foods, I'd just have meat or milk. So from now on soy isolates are off the table for me.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Nah, I don't rely on isolated soy protein to get my protein - there is plenty of protein in veggies, nuts, and seeds to meet my daily requirements - I just like how it tastes in recipes. The worry for me is that it is a cancer promoter. If I wanted to eat cancer promoting foods, I'd just have meat or milk. So from now on soy isolates are off the table for me.
    Yeah mushrooms. I can eat a bucket of them.

I only buy the soy protein pweder because its has a higher protein than the straight whey powder. It certainly does not taste as nice as the straight whey though.

I was reading this the other day...maybe you might be interested. Knowing you lot ..you have most likely already read it.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

I'll have more to say about triglycerides later but I gotta run.

I'm really interested to hear what you know. One thing I was thinking about was my smoothies, since sugar is related to higher triglycerides levels. Maybe I'm doing more harm than good with my morning smoothie? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Yeah mushrooms. I can eat a bucket of them.

I only buy the soy protein pweder because its has a higher protein than the straight whey powder. It certainly does not taste as nice as the straight whey though.

I was reading this the other day...maybe you might be interested. Knowing you lot ..you have most likely already read it.

Yup, 60% of the calories from mushrooms are from protein. Broccoli is 33% protein, kidney beans are 25% protein, kale is 25% protein. A porterhouse steak is only 30% protein. Generally, I see bodybuilder types claim they need 25% or more of their calories to come from protein. They could just as well eat mushrooms to that porterhouse.

Thanks for linking to that article, that's fascinating. It just reinforces why I'm cutting out the soy isolates. Check out what it says in the methods section:
    Studies were selected for analysis if they had used isolated soy protein or textured soy protein ... Studies were excluded ... if they used several sources of vegetable protein26; if whole soybeans rather than soy protein were used30; or if base-line values were not provided.22

That study specifically did not study anything but soy isolates and found them to be harmful.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    They could just as well eat mushrooms to that porterhouse.

Hence the reason for protein powders. The one i drink is 90 grms protein/100 grms. Its a lot easier & cheaper than taking steak to work with me or cooking one at 4am (not that i havnt done that before)
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Hence the reason for protein powders. The one i drink is 90 grms protein/100 grms. Its a lot easier & cheaper than taking steak to work with me or cooking one at 4am (not that i havnt done that before)
    lol3.gif

Protein powders are all isolates which is why I, personally, won't have anything to do with them. Besides, like I said, I can get all my protein in the food I eat. And when I exercise, my protein requirements don't outpace the requirements for carbohydrates and fat so all I have to do is eat more.

And I do like to eat more...

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    You can get plenty of protein in your diet, but protein powder has other advantages: It's convenient and generally lower in calories than an entire "high protein" meal. Drinking a protein shake after every workout speeds muscle recovery and supplies your body with the amino acids needed for muscle growth.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    You can get plenty of protein in your diet, but protein powder has other advantages: It's convenient and generally lower in calories than an entire "high protein" meal. Drinking a protein shake after every workout speeds muscle recovery and supplies your body with the amino acids needed for muscle growth.
    Absolutely...chased down with a swig of creatine & HMB. However these guys are on a different river in a different boat.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Absolutely...chased down with a swig of creatine & HMB. However these guys are on a different river in a different boat.

Yes, protein drinks are stripped of the micronutrients that are so important for optimal health.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    A few muffin recipes
    Sorry for the lag on recipe posting. I've been a bit... busy. :D

244137660-400x400.jpg

While she was sleeping, I did make some awesome whole grain, vegan muffins today. I posted that recipe (and a couple of others) on my blog just now.

I love muffins because you can freeze them and just heat them up for a quick snack or breakfast. Plus they are fast and easy to make! clap.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, protein drinks are stripped of the micronutrients that are so important for optimal health.
    If someone were stupid enough to souly (sp?) rely on that for intake....possibly. Materism should never be part of a diet which unfortunately is so often is the case. Balance has no equal.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Congratulations David on the great results. Up here in the government paid medical care world, we do not get those tests unless we have some reason for doing so. (like having a heart attack).
    Right now I'd like to push my metabolism off its plateau and get rid of some weight, so I am embracing fruits and veg like never before.
    However, ..... tonight we are having roasted potatoes, roasted squash, roasted peppers all with different spicing. But the sad thing is that in the middle of January in the frozen north, the quality of these veggies is, well, sad! (Peppers are pretty much hot house product here yr round so they're okay I guess).
    The apples are woody, other fruit besides citrus just isn't available.
    I have been thoroughly enjoying grapefruit recently, something I haven't had since I was a kid. Don't know why either ne_nau.gif .
    I am enjoying a salad of julienned broccoli and red cabbage, with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, craisins if I have them and a delicious coleslaw dressing (yes, it has an oil base so it does contain fats) at lunch.
    Or hummous and pita.
    Today I bought a bag of Riceworks Chili chips. I had them at the table in the lunch room and they generated some pretty loud guffaws, til I offered them around for tasting. They are really tasty but they are also quite nutrient poor. No bad things, but not much good either.

And thanks, David, for the link to the 7 words article. I have read most of the past blog entries there, and particularly like the eating advice of Michael Pollan: Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants. and also: Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food - I have to think this applies to starting ingredients and not necessarily to finished product cuz my peasant heritage is plain meat and potatoes, but the idea that sticking to non processed, no preservative, foods is good really resonates with me.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

244137660-400x400.jpg

While she was sleeping, I did make some awesome whole grain, vegan muffins today. I posted that recipe (and a couple of others) on my blog just now.

I love muffins because you can freeze them and just heat them up for a quick snack or breakfast. Plus they are fast and easy to make! clap.gif

-Anne

Beeee-autiful! Congrats!

And, I'm looking forward to making your muffins. Although I'd like to avoid the soy milk. I may make some almond milk with water and almond butter to replace?

Also, can we add that to the Tastebook?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne

Congratulations, Anne!! Enjoy!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are you modifying your soy intake? Or just the isolated, processed kind?
    My views on soy are:

1. Isolated soy protein is probably unhealthy. I don't eat it and believe, like Mike, that you don't need it unless you're compensating for a poor diet.

2. There is nothing magical about soy except that it's one of the big four -- corn, rice, soy, and wheat -- so it gets consumed in great volume. Of the four, I believe it to be by far the most nutritious.

3. I have a lot of faith in the many studies that link whole soy to great health. Here's one:

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/jnci%3b90/21/1637.pdf

4. I'm a little troubled about how soy is produced in the U.S., from Monsanto's patented soybean seeds. Long subject, but it keeps me from overdosing on soybeans. Why not treat them as just another legume?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 18, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    244137660-400x400.jpg
    -Anne

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky